Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SON interview with Ken Corday
Topic Started: Jun 7 2010, 08:40 AM (30,349 Views)
aimees76
Member Avatar

:dance: :dance: :dance:
I guess Kenny wanted to let people know when it would be all clear to come back to watching! :applause: Excellent. So I will watch the Alice stuff with the returns in June, skip out on July and August while I am finishing my last semester of school, and right after I graduate, I get to watch my show again! :cheer:
Ding dong, Ejami's dead :thumbsup: :wine: :thankyou: :dance:
I'll be looking forward to Sami getting her brain back and taking back control of her life ... and kicking out the trash once and for all.

I'm usually inclined to follow the mantra "Kenny lies", but in this case the news is just too good not to let myself believe :rockon:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMan101
Member Avatar

I don't see why Melissa can't be kept around in the same vein as Justin and Adrienne. I think a lot of the soaps would benefit from a bigger canvas of recurring characters from the past. They can still focus on who they want to focus on, but still appeal to the other spectrum.

Jack and Jenn make the most sense to return. Jack's sister Adrienne is in town. His niece Stephanie's in town. Jennifer is friends with Carly, related to Hope ... Will they drive story? I doubt it.

DAYS has a goldmine they can pick from but they just don't. So many children can be used to drive storyline. Vets from the past to be anchors. So many missed opportunities.

Nicole Walker

LOL. Didn't need Ken to tell me that Safe would reunite. It's obvious they way they set it up it's like DUH. I do wish we could get more romance. They are seriously lacking in that department because they are too busy trying to do triangles all the time. Give the couples a break for awhile. Add some adventure to this show as well. It's boring.

daisy132

aimees76
Jun 7 2010, 11:27 AM
I guess Kenny wanted to let people know when it would be all clear to come back to watching! :applause: Excellent. So I will watch the Alice stuff with the returns in June, skip out on July and August while I am finishing my last semester of school, and right after I graduate, I get to watch my show again! :cheer:
I'll be looking forward to Sami getting her brain back and taking back control of her life ... and kicking out the trash once and for all.

I'm usually inclined to follow the mantra "Kenny lies", but in this case the news is just too good not to let myself believe :rockon:
Didn't you stop watching because Lumi is dead? It's still dead. Glad you will help with the ratings by watching its replacement.

catsmeouch

Back when Jack, Jennifer, Abby, Patch, Kayla, and Stephanie were on the show at the same time, Days had a good opportunity to tell a good story linking the past with the present. Imagine if Chelsea had been raped. That story could spill over to her friends Abby and Stephanie. From there, Abby and Stephanie would learn Abby's father raped Stephanie's mother. Couple that that Abby learning Jennifer had been raped by Lawrence. Imagine all the high-running emotions and dramatic tension that could've played out if this kind of story had happened (and been written sensitively).

KMan101
Member Avatar

Agreed, but that kind of storyline isn't done anymore. It's not about developing the characters. It's just plot.

And the irony of it all is that Abby and Stephanie are cousins. Jack and Steve are brothers, so Stephanie's uncle raped her mother.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Vicky4Mimi
Jun 7 2010, 11:24 AM
BradyB
Jun 7 2010, 10:06 AM
Im thinking it is Jack and Jennifer
Thats who I think also! Give me some Jack and Jenn and some Lucas and all will be grand!
If that happens...I'll have my 2 favorite couples back on the show again....even if they aren't together...at least the actors are on and all will be great again...plus I can tune back in but w/the news this a.m. about VM coming back to GH unless they bring back Lucas and give him a good storyline, break up Ejami for good and give me something worth watching...i think I'll keep tuning into GH over Days....now if BD comes back then I'm back...

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

lysie
Jun 7 2010, 09:17 AM
esp13
Jun 7 2010, 09:12 AM
lysie
Jun 7 2010, 08:48 AM
:shithitfan:

Oh....that's all.
Anybody bring popcorn?
I ate all mine while reading IMiss's sunny posts earlier...
Quote:

Speaking of couples, I started watching 'DAYS' in the mid-1990's and my favorite character is Sami Brady [Corday interjects and says 'me too!']. From her days trying to get Austin, while finding love with Lucas, to getting with EJ, to her drama with Rafe and now she's toying around with EJ again. Is that the type of storylines you are referring to when it comes to couples?
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I truly believe the viewers want Sami and Rafe together. You know, Sami can be her own worst enemy and this time she's not doing it in a vindictive way. She's just being pulled in by this not so nice guy [EJ]. That will come to a conclusion sometime right after Labor Day. I think viewers will be very happy to see Sami being the strong Sami, who is taking things into her own hands. I wish I could tell you the plot points, but I can't! I can say you can expect a lot of surprises and viewers will get what they want, which is Sami and Rafe back together again.

Oh that Ken Corday. What a true visionary and spectacular steward for this show and his parents legacy. He sure has his finger on the pulse of what every viewer wants, that's for sure.

( :popcorn: Here I just popped another batch, Lysie)

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

daisy132
Jun 7 2010, 11:32 AM
aimees76
Jun 7 2010, 11:27 AM

Didn't you stop watching because Lumi is dead? It's still dead. Glad you will help with the ratings by watching its replacement.
I think Aimee means she wants to see Sami rip EJ a new asshole! and that supposedly happens in September sometime.....I think we ALL want to see the :shithitfan:

catsmeouch

From Corday's comments, it sounds like the supercouple novels will continue their stories and take place after they left the canvas, otherwise they wouldn't need to change things if one or two of the characters returned. I bet John and Marlena's novel will be set in Switzerland and deal with Marlena helping John recover from his paralysis.

Hopefully these novels are written by someone who has experience with these characters, like a former staff writer or even a long-time fan.

I doubt John and Marlena will return for Days' 45th anniversary. If they aren't returning for Alice Horton's funeral, they won't be back for an anniversary. I truly don't believe we'll ever see them on-screen again unless maybe, [i[maybe[/i] they're invited back for their series finale. John and Marlena are my favourite Days couple of all time and it sucks that they aren't on the show anymore.

I could see Kayla and Jennifer coming back solo, but I hate that idea because the writers would end up breaking up Jack and Jennifer and Patch and Kayla like they did Justin and Adrienne (and Bo and Hope). I agree that Days has a plethora of Horton and Brady vets that should be used on a recurring capacity (like Kim and Shane, Melissa, Laura and Bill, Marie, etc...). I'd be more inclined to tune into Days if I knew, for example, Jennifer would be on at least three or four times a month.

That being said, I do think Jennifer is returning (her husband is on General Hospital now), and I hope Jack comes back with her. They should recast Abby and bring her back into the thick of things.

Speaking of, Days has plenty of young characters with connections to the cast that they should (re)introduce rather than newbies (like Andrew, Jeannie, Jeremy, Sarah, even Cassie, Rex, and Nicholas Alamain).
Edited by catsmeouch, Jun 7 2010, 11:45 AM.

Tibi
Member Avatar

Thank you KC! :applause: It's nice to know there's an end in site to this stupid storyline. And I can tune back in to watch it all unfold. :popcorn:

lysie
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 7 2010, 11:39 AM
lysie
Jun 7 2010, 09:17 AM
esp13
Jun 7 2010, 09:12 AM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
I ate all mine while reading IMiss's sunny posts earlier...
Quote:

Speaking of couples, I started watching 'DAYS' in the mid-1990's and my favorite character is Sami Brady [Corday interjects and says 'me too!']. From her days trying to get Austin, while finding love with Lucas, to getting with EJ, to her drama with Rafe and now she's toying around with EJ again. Is that the type of storylines you are referring to when it comes to couples?
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I truly believe the viewers want Sami and Rafe together. You know, Sami can be her own worst enemy and this time she's not doing it in a vindictive way. She's just being pulled in by this not so nice guy [EJ]. That will come to a conclusion sometime right after Labor Day. I think viewers will be very happy to see Sami being the strong Sami, who is taking things into her own hands. I wish I could tell you the plot points, but I can't! I can say you can expect a lot of surprises and viewers will get what they want, which is Sami and Rafe back together again.

Oh that Ken Corday. What a true visionary and spectacular steward for this show and his parents legacy. He sure has his finger on the pulse of what every viewer wants, that's for sure.

( :popcorn: Here I just popped another batch, Lysie)
Thanks, IMA!

Good gosh, your posts are causing me physical pain. I actually didn't realize I could smile this big yet, lol.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

Sariah
Jun 7 2010, 11:07 AM
MOST of what Corday says never, ever comes to pass. I've read all sorts of "spoilers" and storyline reveals from him for some of my favorites that simply did not happen.

I'm of the opinion that he has very limited information and spouts off without knowing much about anything.

What? Corday always speaks the total unvarnished truth. I mean he's in charge! Of course he knows everything that is happening on the show and would never make a mistake in any of his predictions.

Remember when he pronounced Arianna and Brady were NOT meant to be together? I mean those two haven't had a moment alone together since that came out, right? (oh wait...) And he also had that similar pronouncement for Melanie and Nathan being together and those two really have a great romance going now don't they what with Melanie married to another man and having rejected Nathan, and Nathan and Stephanie screwing like bunnies to try to put a bun in her oven. I mean... it's DESTINY!

Something else in Corday's book that I thought was so savvy and diplomatic was the part he had on the villains where he discussed Louise Sorel:

"Then there's Vivian Alamain, played by Louise Sorel, or "Loo-Loo" as we jokingly call her. Vivian is just plain scary nuts. She is a completely off-the-wall villainess, full of huge panache and largesse, yet inside that exterior of flighty craziness lurks an utterly vicious and highly dangerous beast of a broad. She is the scorpion, compared to Kate Roberts's black widow. Her penetrating eyes are a window into her psychosis.

[...]

I believe, as a producer, that Vivian and Louise are very similar."

He also really had a great read on supposed "fans" of Kate in the book.

"I admire Lauren, but I enjoy despising Kate. Her adoring fans even show up at Days of our Lives events wearing "Team Kate" T-shirts. They love Kate... they love to hate her."

We are so lucky as fans of Days of our Lives to have this guy at the helm of our show!

mirabella

Thank you so much for posting. I am so looking forward to a SAFE romance. Can't wait till Sami knows all there is to know about EJ and kicks him to the curb. This is too good to be true.

esp13
Member Avatar

Hmm . . . I'm sensing a lack of complete sincerity in the positive-ness of that post. I mean you say that Kenny is a visionary, but I'm not feeling that you truly believe in his amazingness. ;)

Cerulean
Member Avatar

McFlappy is overrated, but he is an improvement over Mr. Monotone, and Sami as the heroine of the show is a waste of a great bitch. Thrilled that the ending has been spilled because no way do I want to read the book now, but someone should install a muzzle on Corday.

six
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 7 2010, 12:00 PM
Sariah
Jun 7 2010, 11:07 AM
MOST of what Corday says never, ever comes to pass. I've read all sorts of "spoilers" and storyline reveals from him for some of my favorites that simply did not happen.

I'm of the opinion that he has very limited information and spouts off without knowing much about anything.

What? Corday always speaks the total unvarnished truth. I mean he's in charge! Of course he knows everything that is happening on the show and would never make a mistake in any of his predictions.

Remember when he pronounced Arianna and Brady were NOT meant to be together? I mean those two haven't had a moment alone together since that came out, right? (oh wait...) And he also had that similar pronouncement for Melanie and Nathan being together and those two really have a great romance going now don't they what with Melanie married to another man and having rejected Nathan, and Nathan and Stephanie screwing like bunnies to try to put a bun in her oven. I mean... it's DESTINY!

Something else in Corday's book that I thought was so savvy and diplomatic was the part he had on the villains where he discussed Louise Sorel:

"Then there's Vivian Alamain, played by Louise Sorel, or "Loo-Loo" as we jokingly call her. Vivian is just plain scary nuts. She is a completely off-the-wall villainess, full of huge panache and largesse, yet inside that exterior of flighty craziness lurks an utterly vicious and highly dangerous beast of a broad. She is the scorpion, compared to Kate Roberts's black widow. Her penetrating eyes are a window into her psychosis.

[...]

I believe, as a producer, that Vivian and Louise are very similar."

He also really had a great read on supposed "fans" of Kate in the book.

"I admire Lauren, but I enjoy despising Kate. Her adoring fans even show up at Days of our Lives events wearing "Team Kate" T-shirts. They love Kate... they love to hate her."

We are so lucky as fans of Days of our Lives to have this guy at the helm of our show!
I was hoping GH would hold out, and stay on top, but this really was the best outcome.

:roflol:

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

You have to give the viewer what the viewer wants to see.
Oh, Corday. You're failing so miserably at this.
Quote:

We will always have couples breaking up, while always giving the audience 'Hope,' which I could use in two different ways [Corday chuckles], that the couple will get back together.
Uh-oh. Bo/Carly fans won't be happy to hear this.
Quote:

I truly believe the viewers want Sami and Rafe together. Viewers will get what they want, which is Sami and Rafe back together again.
Uh-oh. Ejami fans won't be happy to hear this.

I hate to say "I told ya so," but... I told ya so. This show does nothing but yank people around. While everyone was busy celebrating over EJ and Sami growing closer and kissing, etc. I kept saying, "It's not going to last. Ejami isn't endgame. The writers are just teasing us and yanking us around." And it looks like I was right. There is no point in investing in Days couples.

Meanwhile, I'm not the least bit interested in seeing Sami and Rafe reunite. They bore me. More than anything, I just want the real Sami to return and be the conniving bitch she was always meant to be.

Also, how stupid is Ken Corday for revealing who ends up with who all these months in advance? What's the point in investing in the story now? Especially Ejami fans? (Hopefully this means EJ will move on to Arianna...)

You know Higley has to be pissed at Corday for constantly spoiling all her (shitty) stories like this.
Quote:

There will be three of what I like to call extended romance novels, about couples that aren't on the show now. For instance, Patch and Kayla, John and Marlena and Jack and Jennifer. Some of that may change [Corday hints] if one or two of those characters returns.
It definitely won't be Patch and Kayla. Their return was a flop and it continued to be a flop until the day they were written out by Dena Higley. It also won't be John and Marlena. Drake and Deidre weren't even asked back for Alice's funeral/memorial. I guess this leaves Jack and Jennifer.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar

esp13
Jun 7 2010, 12:03 PM
Hmm . . . I'm sensing a lack of complete sincerity in the positive-ness of that post. I mean you say that Kenny is a visionary, but I'm not feeling that you truly believe in his amazingness. ;)
What? I bought his book didn't I?

And don't you know it feels great having supplemented this man's income with my fan dollars, especially when we all got his brilliant insights today in this interview... for free. How generous!

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Kenny
Jun 7 2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:

There will be three of what I like to call extended romance novels, about couples that aren't on the show now. For instance, Patch and Kayla, John and Marlena and Jack and Jennifer. Some of that may change [Corday hints] if one or two of those characters returns.
It definitely won't be Patch and Kayla. Their return was a flop and it continued to be a flop until the day they were written out by Dena Higley. It also won't be John and Marlena. Drake and Deidre weren't even asked back for Alice's funeral/memorial. I guess this leaves Jack and Jennifer.
It definitely won't be Steve and Kayla, because one of them is on contract with another soap. But their return is what got me watching soaps again (curse them). It's not like J&M and J&J haven't had their share of creative problems. If they bring Jack back just to kill him off again, or do another lame amnesia triangle with J&M, well...
Edited by granolagirl, Jun 7 2010, 12:21 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply