Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tommy Horton question
Topic Started: Jun 8 2010, 01:24 PM (1,777 Views)
Keith
Member Avatar

I swear I saw a post here talking about Alice mentioning Tommy as dead around the time of Tom's funeral in '94. This would make sense, given John Upton's death in '93. Does anyone have a link to a clip of this? Supposedly Alice was talking to someone with Bo and Billie talking in the background. It would certainly clear up why the show never talks about Addie's twin. I feel like I would remember this, having watched the show at the time...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BradyB

I have heard the same thing. However, I have not been able to find the clip on Youtube that people are talking about.

catsmeouch

It's supposed to be somewhere in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kncxipnejT8&feature=related

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

That would explain why Tommy's rarely ever mentioned anymore, but still appears on the Christmas tree.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BradyB

I have listened to it about 10 times now. It sounds like Alice says "those gone before us like Tom & Addie both and our beloved Hope.

Keith
Member Avatar

Wow. What a cheap way to write him off, I must say. It's not completely clear, because Frances says it really quickly. Its arguable that she was simply mentioning Tom, but I don't think so. She was listing those present and those had gone before, but I can't imagine she would lump Tom in with past deaths at his actual funeral. She then goes on to talk specifically about Tom and then Hope's funeral. Its still debatable since its so hard to hear -- Frances, bless her heart, and God rest her soul, said it quietly and quickly, whereas Addie and our darling Hope was clear as a bell. I wish we could get some real confirmation on this. I mean, at this point, the character might as well be dead. If they could recast Bill, they could have recast Tommy, too. But why bother when his branch of the family hasn't been seen in Salem since the 80s? Might as well retcon Tommy as dead, if this episode didn't already do that in Alice's dialogue. It would be great if they brought on a teenage son for Sandy and then later brought her back as well. Like many of the Hortons, she's been such a blank slate.
Edited by Keith, Jun 8 2010, 03:13 PM.

Keith
Member Avatar

BradyB
Jun 8 2010, 03:11 PM
I have listened to it about 10 times now. It sounds like Alice says "those gone before us like Tom & Addie both and our beloved Hope.

Alice says "Those present and those who have gone before us. Darling Addie, of course. Tom[my?]. And our beloved Hope."

It seems to me that she actually does say Tommy. It's in her inflection, as unclear as it is. Vocally, she was using such a low tone that it was barely picked up, but there seemed to be a definite double syllable every time I listened to it.

catsmeouch

Perhaps back then they decided to write Tommy's death into the show rather than recast the role for Tom's funeral since the only actor to play him had just died in real life.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Well since Tommy obviously hasn't got a recast then Im going to bet on that. What a cheap way however to kill off one of TOM AND ALICE'S kids. You don't just say a quick like at someone else's funeral about ALICE's kid being dead..without even explaining it..

catsmeouch

CaseyLovesDays
Jun 8 2010, 05:01 PM
Well since Tommy obviously hasn't got a recast then Im going to bet on that. What a cheap way however to kill off one of TOM AND ALICE'S kids. You don't just say a quick like at someone else's funeral about ALICE's kid being dead..without even explaining it..
To be fair, John Lupton (Tommy) died about 4 months before Macdonald Carey, and since Tommy hadn't been a presence on Days in over a decade, Tom's funeral was the first opportunity to bring up Tommy's fate.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

catsmeouch
Jun 8 2010, 05:03 PM
CaseyLovesDays
To be fair, John Lupton (Tommy) died about 4 months before Macdonald Carey, and since Tommy hadn't been a presence on Days in over a decade, Tom's funeral was the first opportunity to bring up Tommy's fate.
Yes..but they never explained it. Even after Tom's funeral, I don't think Tommy was mentioned at all after that. :shame:

catsmeouch

CaseyLovesDays
Jun 8 2010, 05:11 PM
catsmeouch
Jun 8 2010, 05:03 PM
CaseyLovesDays
Yes..but they never explained it. Even after Tom's funeral, I don't think Tommy was mentioned at all after that. :shame:
That's because he's irrelevant now, and he was irrelevant in 1994 when Tom died. Tommy Horton's stories were told in the late 60s and throughout the 70s. The character hasn't appeared in 30 years. Most viewers probably don't even know there was a Tommy Horton Jr.

BradyB

I wish we knew whey his character left the canvas. Was the actor fired or did he ask to leave? I wonder why they never brought him back or even did a recast?

catsmeouch

Interestingly enough, in the 80s there was talk of a Days spinoff set in Hawaii featuring Tommy and his never-before-mentioned sons Dan and Bobby Horton.

I hope Days confirms that Tommy has died at Alice's funeral. They recast Bill so obviously there is a reason why Tommy wasn't recast. Unfortunately, I have this feeling he'll be lumped in with the Hortons who are "there" but not onscreen (like Sarah, Sandy, David, Scott, Steve Olson, etc...).

JoeBucs32

Actually, in one of her last interviews (available on youtube), Frances Reid jokes about Tommy "living in the attic" because the writers haven't mentioned where he's been all these years.... That would suggest that they never spoke of him dying...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

catsmeouch

That was a reference to one of the first times Tommy left the show, when he went upstairs and was never seen again. In the 80s, there was reference made to Tommy living in Hawaii.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Tommy went upstairs in the early 1970s and didn't come back down (even played by the same actor) for several years. Tommy never really had much of a strong storyline after he got his memory back and Marie joined the convent. Even his ex-wife Kitty's death was more about Bill & Laura than it was about Tommy. Even Tommy's love life after Marie (his sister who he dated when no one knew who he was due to amnesia) was always more about somebody else. He was involved with Linda Phillips who was always more hung up on his brother Mickey and who then used Tommy to make Bob Anderson jealous enough to marry her. Bob/Linda/Tommy was probably his last "big" storyline and he simply faded away. I think the last time he ever appeared was at Tom & Alice's wedding anniversary in 1980 (the well-known "Always" clip with all the Hortons is taken from that dinner). When they brought Tommy's daughter Sandy onto the show a couple of years later (played by Martha Smith), it was then mentioned that Tommy was in Hawaii. Sandy left town (and got recast with Pamela Roylance), came back, then left town again (presumably to go to England, I believe) and was barely ever mentioned again. In the late 1980s, there was much talk about doing a DAYS spin-off set in Hawaii and focusing on Tommy, Sandy, and a new branch of the family with the name PACIFIC LIVES, but it never came about (much like the later proposed Marlena spin-off called MANHATTAN LIVES that never got picked up because NBC renewed ANOTHER WORLD in the early 1990s). I do know that there was a major fuck up at Tom Horton's funeral because Alice introduced Mickey (who was preparing to speak during the service) as Tom's oldest son, which Mickey wasn't. The correct birth order is Tommy & Addie (I believe Tommy is oldest), then Mickey, Bill, & Marie. Also, Tommy was originally named Dan and was refered to such in the original bible and on the first episode of the show.

catsmeouch

Here's an Entertainment Weekly article that backs up what you're saying:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,309292,00.html

BradyB

Jennifer says on today's episode (Tuesday, June 15th) that Gran knows she just wants to be with Grandpa, Uncle MIckey and Aunt Addie. So either the writers forgot to mention Tommy here or they didn't mention him with these other 3 because he isn't dead. So we must assume he is still alive??

KMan101
Member Avatar

Not to get too off topic but I had no idea that Gloria Monty fired Finola Hughes. I always thought Hughes just left.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply