Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Pretty Little Liars; ABC Family
Topic Started: Jun 9 2010, 11:41 AM (3,812 Views)
Edge1978
Member Avatar

Ok, I have to admit I was a little nervous about watching the show, simply because it was on ABC Family. When I think of ABCF, I immediately think of shows like Full House, or Family Matters, shows in which it always ends with a happy ending.

WOW was I wrong. this show is actually really good, alot of suspense and drama to keep you captivated through out the hour.

Has anyone else watched it? :ermmmm:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

downwhtone
Member Avatar

I recorded it on my DVR but haven't watched it yet. It looks like it will be good.

Alin89
Member Avatar

i liked it a lot

Mason
Member Avatar

I just watched it, and I thought it was pretty good.

I thought the actresses playing the girls were a little bland, though, including Ashley Benson, whom I really liked on DAYS but am now finding to be a pretty mediocre actress on other shows.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I think it was decent fare for summer viewing. Some of the acting was "blah"...and there were a few sloppy plot points, but I will be tuning in next week.

cassie1013

Ashley Benson has always been mediocre. She's cute, but that's about all she has going for her. Her acting is very one-note, and not to mention predictable. It's funny, her mannerisms are the same character to character...aside from writing, Abby, Mia (Eastwick) and Hanna are all EXACTLY the same. Not markings of a great performer.

If she doesn't make it big with this series (as in, it gets picked up for 2 or more seasons), I'd be willing to bet she'll end up in daytime - what's left of it, anyway - before she's 25. Benson is going for these teen-star type roles, but she realistically only has a couple years left to make it in that realm before she starts getting too old.

Her real life BFF Lucy Hale isn't much better either. That one should stick to what she's good at, aka, singing.

Honestly, I found the lead teens all weak performers. Again, pretty, but the super star casting of the parents is what'll salvage this show... and yes, LoL to Chad Lowe.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Oh....I will also add the girl playing Spencer looks waaaay too old to be playing a 16-year-old, lol.

cassie1013

Nubia
Jun 10 2010, 11:55 AM
Oh....I will also add the girl playing Spencer looks waaaay too old to be playing a 16-year-old, lol.
Yeah, that's because she's 3 years older than ME. LOL. I believe she's 25. OK, make that 3 years older :|

lene
Member Avatar

I think Lucy Hale is pretty good from what we've seen so far. I remember her guest starring on Private Practice as a teen mom, and she really impressed me. :D

I like this show. Mostly because of Aria and Ezra. :D

cassie1013

I don't think Lucy has much acting ability. It's obvious she took a few classes in her teens/got coaching, but she's definitely not a natural. She looks way younger than 21, too.

cassie1013

This is unrelated...kind of...but the scene directly after the opening sequence, with Ashley Benson's character trying on sunglasses, was at Holt Renfrew in Vancouver! LoL. I thought it looked eerily familiar when watching, but I was in there today trying on shoes when I looked straight across and noticed the exact same spot that Spencer and Hanna had a conversation. So weird! They used the exact sunglass area, too.

Holts is like Canada's Barney's or Saks - it's a beautiful store! :D

King
Member Avatar

I loved this show!

Some of the secrets were lame, but I am intrigued at the Jenna stuff.

Definitely over the top, but a Desperate Housewives for the younger generation for sure.

Alin89
Member Avatar

i liked the latest episode

cassie1013

EVERYTHING is good about this show, except the actual writing and some of the acting....which is too bad. Otherwise, it has all the recipes for success.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Well, I caught up with this show on hulu and thought it was ok. I'm staying with the show because of the parents. I love Holly Marie Combs, Chad Lowe and Laura Leighton! I hope they incorporate more of their SLs.

The blond TA assistant is the girl that was on that cheesy (but good) movie Center Stage!

As for the girls, theyre ok. Kind of cliché stuff going on. I think Ashley Benson plays the same character over and over. Here, at least theres a tiny bit more depth in that she's not really the "leader" but the girl that died Alison was.

I think I've been to that dept store when I visited Vancouver.

BTW...is Holly Marie Combs preggers? Why do they show her with these huge sweaters?
Overall, a light Summer series that I can catch on hulu!
Edited by Liz<3Days, Jun 26 2010, 09:35 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Jun 26 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm staying with the show because of the parents. I love Holly Marie Combs, Chad Lowe and Laura Leighton! I hope they incorporate more of their SLs.
Agreed. They're the best part of the show for me.

Quote:

BTW...is Holly Marie Combs preggers?

I'm pretty sure she is. I thought I saw a bump a couple of times.

Alin89
Member Avatar

i like this show its kewl for a summer show when there isnt anything to watch

lene
Member Avatar

If she is, then this would be her 4th kid. She already have 3 boys. Her last son Kelley James Donoho was born in may of 2009.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Did anyone notice that Roark Critchlow plays Ashley Benson's dad on this show? I was filled with glee when I realized that on Days he was her uncle, even though they were there at different times! Good casting, haha.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I love that RC is playing Hanna's dad. I love the casting of the parents on this show. I just finished watching the 4th episode and thought it was better then the rest. I like how Ella is finding out about her hubby's secret. I'm glad that secrets are coming out.
The English teacher with an old typewriter? Really? Can we play out that cliché again? Does he have an old, torn up copy of "The Cather and the Rye," too? And sorry, but do high schools STILL have blackboards w/chalk? And just how many people actually read and contribute to discussions in class? They were the low-light to this episode, but overall, I like the show!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply