Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion: 6/14-6/18
Topic Started: Jun 14 2010, 01:25 AM (16,141 Views)
Kriss4

I like Susan Seaforth Hayes, but I was watching this scene yesterday and I thought...man, the pauses were too long, awkward almost to the point of discomfort for me as I watched.. It looked like she snuck a look at her cue cards, honestly.

I mean, take a look. Maybe it was just the way it was supposed to be at that time. Maybe all soap scenes were like that.

http://myspace.vtap.com/video/Bill+%2526amp%253B+Susan+on+Days+of+our+Lives+-+DOOL/CL0079783086_475cfd9c6_T0M4MjQ2NzF-aW46NH5xOmJyfmJ3Ok9DODI0NjcxLENMMDMzMTAwNTA4NX5pbjozfnE6cmw
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Jun 19 2010, 02:29 PM
I like Susan Seaforth Hayes, but I was watching this scene yesterday and I thought...man, the pauses were too long, awkward almost to the point of discomfort for me as I watched.. It looked like she snuck a look at her cue cards, honestly.

I mean, take a look. Maybe it was just the way it was supposed to be at that time. Maybe all soap scenes were like that.

http://myspace.vtap.com/video/Bill+%2526amp%253B+Susan+on+Days+of+our+Lives+-+DOOL/CL0079783086_475cfd9c6_T0M4MjQ2NzF-aW46NH5xOmJyfmJ3Ok9DODI0NjcxLENMMDMzMTAwNTA4NX5pbjozfnE6cmw
The pause was intentional to build the tension in the scene. I think they had Julie look away because she and Doug were basically having a stare down to see who would give in to their real feelings first, as opposed to the actual words they were saying. They were trying to fight their attraction because Julie was married and Doug had originally been hired by Julie's rival to seduce her. He didn't expect to fall in love with her.

I also think Susan is the best actor to appear on Days. She acts with her whole body, including her eyes. You could even see it in the recent scenes leading up to her flashbacks. She looks like she's really thinking back to that flashback scene (and Susan said in a recent interview that the actors weren't shown the flashbacks).

Edited by jam6242, Jun 19 2010, 02:38 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
Jun 19 2010, 02:37 PM
Kriss4
Jun 19 2010, 02:29 PM

The pause was intentional to build the tension in the scene. I think they had Julie look away because she and Doug were basically having a stare down to see who would give in to their real feelings first, as opposed to the actual words they were saying. They were trying to fight their attraction because Julie was married and Doug had originally been hired by Julie's rival to seduce her. He didn't expect to fall in love with her.

I also think Susan is the best actor to appear on Days. She acts with her whole body, including her eyes. You could even see it in the recent scenes leading up to her flashbacks. She looks like she's really thinking back to that flashback scene (and Susan said in a recent interview that the actors weren't shown the flashbacks).

I absolutely LOVE that scene! I think I swooned at least half a dozen times. Today's writers, directors, and actors should take lessons from this on how to build palpable romantic and sexual tension instead of this drek that they normally shovel at us.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Susan Seaforth Hayes can be ridiculously over-the-top and theatrical at times, but I usually love that about her. That OTT-ness doesn't always work, but in most cases it does. It seems to fit the character of Julie quite well.

Does Lindsay Hartley remind anyone else of SSH a bit?

thepawn
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jun 15 2010, 11:11 PM
I liked seeing Adrienne helping out at the Horton house. She is Jennifer's sister-in-law after all, and it's believable that she would be there. At least one character is being kept in character.
You are right. In my last post, I noted how the show does not have enough time to rehash the connections among the returning characters. It's up to us to connect the dots.

Flashback...

Jack Introduces his "Sweetheart" Jennifer to Adrienne

thepawn
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jun 19 2010, 02:49 PM
Susan Seaforth Hayes can be ridiculously over-the-top and theatrical at times...
TRUTH!

Flashback...

BATS!

frankki
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jun 18 2010, 03:27 PM
catsmeouch
Jun 18 2010, 03:25 PM
jane1978
Jun 18 2010, 03:22 PM
It just shown Alice giving a good advice. I liked that a lot.
I didn't. I think the audience and Sami needed to be reminded that she was lusting after Austin and pulling every dirty trick in the book to get him, and how that mirrors her current situation.
but why if it's suppose to be about Alice and HER advise....it's not really about the characters but how she influenced them, what advise she gave them and how she impacted their lives. This wasn't about Sami lusting over Austin, it was about Alice trying to make a difference in Sami's life then....
Exactly how does that flashback with Alice mirror Sami's current situation? She's not pulling any dirty tricks on anybody to get anyone.....EJ has stepped into that role now. Maybe that is what you meant?

frankki
Member Avatar

jane1978
Jun 19 2010, 10:29 AM
Did anyone notice what was the thing on table the camera focused on when Kate and Stefano congratulated themselves over stealing the tape? Was it the bonds for Chad Madeline mentioned earlier? Im sure it will get important later but all I saw was some yellow envelope.

And, Im probably the only one but I will miss Mia when she is gone. Taylor will soon be 17, she is getting really pretty and I think a classic summer teen story where Mia, Gabby, Chad and Will join forces and search together what is the story behind the Kate/Madeline picture would be good and helped the demos a lot. But it seems there will be some kind of story begind Mias sudden exit next week, so Im looking forward to that. Maybe something terrible really happens to her? She really has no reason to leave now.

I had to laugh at the scene where the 4 teens were discussing the photo of Will's granny and Chad's mommy, they could so make this quad a Scooby Doo gang and have them all investigate "The Mystery of the Ancient Photo". Only Scooby Doo is missing. :laugh:

meaculpa

frankki
Jun 19 2010, 03:51 PM
I had to laugh at the scene where the 4 teens were discussing the photo of Will's granny and Chad's mommy, they could so make this quad a Scooby Doo gang and have them all investigate "The Mystery of the Ancient Photo". Only Scooby Doo is missing. :laugh:
Bring back Brian Schofield's "Fluffy" and you'll be all set. :lol:

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Why can't I make myself watch the show?!

I haven't watched any of the episodes this week, mostly because I've been busy, but I keep telling myself I'm going to sit down and watch and catch up and even when I finally have a bit of free time I don't. I don't think it's just that I'm relieved not having to watch or post at all after the trauma of having to constantly post positivity last week. :lol: But I think ever since John died in 2007 I find the funeral episodes kind of hard to take I think because those ones affected me so much... like I had trouble making myself watch the Mickey funeral drama earlier this year too.

And then today I'm at this department store that has a piano player and mostly you don't notice it but then this song comes on and I start singing a little bit "And I'll be loving you... ALWAYS. ALWAYS" not even being able to remember what the song is from at first and asking my mom what it's from because it's bugging me. Then I realize... oh... it's Alice and Tom's song! I wonder if the piano player even knew that. It was just so strange to hear that played after earlier they had been playing shit like "Summer Lovin'" :lol:

Alin89
Member Avatar

i have watched mon-thu and this show is driving me up the wall but i will continue to watch until it ends

thepawn
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Jun 19 2010, 11:21 PM
Why can't I make myself watch the show?!

I haven't watched any of the episodes this week, mostly because I've been busy, but I keep telling myself I'm going to sit down and watch and catch up and even when I finally have a bit of free time I don't. I don't think it's just that I'm relieved not having to watch or post at all after the trauma of having to constantly post positivity last week. :lol: But I think ever since John died in 2007 I find the funeral episodes kind of hard to take I think because those ones affected me so much... like I had trouble making myself watch the Mickey funeral drama earlier this year too.

And then today I'm at this department store that has a piano player and mostly you don't notice it but then this song comes on and I start singing a little bit "And I'll be loving you... ALWAYS. ALWAYS" not even being able to remember what the song is from at first and asking my mom what it's from because it's bugging me. Then I realize... oh... it's Alice and Tom's song! I wonder if the piano player even knew that. It was just so strange to hear that played after earlier they had been playing shit like "Summer Lovin'" :lol:
I understand. To borrow from another favorite show of mine, it's about letting go and moving on. And that is much easier said than done.

I am intrigued by your astral experience with the pianist. I always consider transcendent moments like that a nod to the unseen. They serve as a reminder/awakening that we're somehow linked to a quiddity much larger than any of us can conceive as a whole. Given Days of our Lives' shortcomings, and they do add up over the years, I believe this is one factor the show has always managed to tap into. It entertains the idea of the mystical. Even before James E. Reilly's outrageous (and derisible) stories of the supernatural, DAYS emphasized the theme of faith. This element works universally, and I know it is a reason why Days of our Lives boasts the most powerful fanbase of all soap operas. I recall Ken Corday saying that DAYS' history evolved from the art of serial storytelling (i.e. Charles Dickens). This reminds me of another powerful storyteller, Stephen King. Mr. King is one who believes that everything in this world, not just the people, but our books, stories, ideas, etc., are interconnected and cogent to a higher manifestation. (He illustrates it as a wheel held by beams connected to a tower of many levels.) Everything imagined or created by the human mind exists, existed, or will exist somewhere in the universe. The point is that the story never ends and all stories are connected because they come from the same matter that makes up writing mechanisms. To paraphrase Carl Sagan, he called it the "star stuff" between our ears. Mr. Corday is alluding to this as he refers to Mr. Dickens. Mr. King also speaks of this in his book On Writing as he describe the very real nature of telepathy:

So let's assume that you're in your favorite receiving place just as I am in the place where I do my best transmitting. We'll have to perform our mentalist routine not just over distance but over time as well, yet that presents no real problem; if we can still read Dickens, Shakespeare, and (with the help of a footnote or two) Herodotus, I think we can manage the time gap. And here we go -- actual telepathy in action. You'll notice I have nothing up my sleeves and that my lips never move. Neither, most likely, do yours.

Look -- here's a table covered with a red cloth. On it is a cage the size of a small fish aquarium. In the cage is a white rabbit with a pink nose and pink-rimmed eyes. In its front paws is a carrot-stub upon which it is contentedly munching. On its back, clearly marked in blue ink, is the numeral 8.

Do we see the same thing? We'd have to get together and compare notes to make absolutely sure, but I think we do. There will be necessary variations, of course: some receivers will see a cloth that is turkey red, some will see one that's scarlet, while others may see still other shades. (To colorblind receivers, the red tablecloth is the dark gray of cigar ashes.) Some may see scalloped edges, some may see straight ones. Decorative souls may add a little lace, and welcome -- my tablecloth is your tablecloth, knock yourself out.

The most interesting thing here isn't even the carrot-munching rabbit in the cage, but the number on its back. Not a six, not a four, not nineteen-point-five. It's an eight. This is what we're looking at, and we all see it. I didn't tell you. You didn't ask me. I never opened my mouth and you never opened yours. We're not even in the same year together, let alone the same room...except we are together. We're close.

We're having a meeting of the minds.

I sent you a table with a red cloth on it, a cage, a rabbit, and the number eight in blue ink. You got them all, especially that blue eight. We've engaged in an act of telepathy. Not mythy-mountain shit; real telepathy. I'm not going to belabor the point, but before we go any further you have to understand that I'm not trying to be cute; there is a point to be made.

###

And the point to be made is that the stream always continues and connects us to a larger, shared, unseen existence -- which simply indicates faith at work (telepathy, if you're Stephen King). And this is what DAYS has always had a knack at capturing in its stories, with Mrs. "H" gracefully and steadfastly holding its beacon ever upward. Sure, there will be a changing of the guard (there always will be, time never stops). Just as Mr. Corday and Mr. King reference Mr. Dickens, one day, DAYS will be referenced by the new guard whom continue the stream of creative storytelling in future mediums. More important is that it represents the notion of the mystical, that all stories/characters/experiences are connected to the larger sphere, generating from that one true source -- the "star stuff". I believe that is what you experienced when you heard the pianist play "Always". It may not have been Frances/Alice herself telepathically signaling you, but something from the cosmos wanted to tell you it's ok to let go. We're all in this together, and it's a wink that bigger, more exciting stories always await us.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply