Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soaps.com Interview with Dylan Patton
Topic Started: Jun 17 2010, 10:48 AM (1,307 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Soaps.com recently chatted with young Hollywood heartthrob Dylan Patton, the talented actor who portrayed Will Horton on Days of Our Lives for the greater part of 2009. His work on the show not only garnered him a serious fan-base, but a Daytime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Younger Actor! Read on as Dylan shares his feelings on being nominated, funny memories from the set of DOOL, and the truth behind his departure from the show!

Soaps.com: So how about that Daytime Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Younger Actor?

Dylan: Hell yeah! [laughs]

Soaps.com: [laughs] How does it feel to be nominated and get some recognition for your work on Days of Our Lives?

Dylan: It's crazy. When I started the show I didn't even think it could happen. I mean, even when I had went to the Emmys I was joking like, "oh yeah, maybe next year I'll get nominated!" Totally just being sarcastic. Now it's a reality and now I might win. I'm actually nominated! Even when I was pre-nominated I was like, "no, there's no way." [laughs] All the people I was up against, even the people on my show that were nominated in the same category. Wow! Now we'll just have to see what happens.

Soaps.com: Your fans are definitely pulling for you, and you certainly have garnered a lot of them from your time on the show as Will Horton! Many are still wondering why you left. What's the real story behind your departure?

Dylan: I didn't leave the show. I was told that I was going to be replaced by another actor. It came as a shock to me. I don't know, they do it all the time. And now I don't even know what's going on with the kids storyline on Days. I don't even think that it's going on anymore. They let go of Taylor Spreitler (Mia McCormick, DOOL) and all the other kids.

Soaps.com: There's a rumor that the show told you they wanted to put Will into a gay storyline and that you didn't feel comfortable doing it, which is why they switched actors. Can you set the record straight once and for all?

Dylan: The show never even asked me about that. What I think is that even if they were going to do that story, they probably wouldn't have even asked me about it anyway. They didn't make Will gay, did they?

Soaps.com: As of right now, no.

Dylan: I guess we'll see.

Soaps.com: When you look back at your time with Days, who were some of your favorite people to work with?

Dylan: My favorite person to work with would definitely be the kid who played my best friend on the show. In real life his name is Brendan (Coughlin, Tad, DOOL). He was really funny. I actually almost got into a fight with him on set one time. We got a little rowdy! [laughs]

Soaps.com: [laughs] Really?

Dylan: He'd always be making jokes. Oh my God, I can't even believe I'm going to tell you this right now. I was about to walk into a bar, halfway through a scene. He's supposed to come out of the bar right before I go in. So we're actually taping here, we're filming. He comes out of the bar, goes around the corner and pulls his pants down and moons me! Right as I'm walking into the scene! The stage manager walks around the corner to cue me to go in, and was just so appalled. But we thought it was funny. [laughs]

Soaps.com: That's hilarious! Any other scenes you particularly enjoyed?

Dylan: Pretty much the ending of every scene when the director would yell, "cut!" Everyone would pretty much bust out laughing. They make you hold it for so long, especially for a serious scene. You just have to laugh at it after it's all done.

Soaps.com: Do you still keep in touch with anyone from Days?

Dylan: No, not really. Everyone who I hung out with had texted me or called me once they heard I was off the show. Now, if I see someone from Days, we definitely say hi. All those people were just awesome.

Soaps.com: From an actor's standpoint, what's different about working on a soap opera compared to working in other genres?

Dylan: It's a lot quicker and it's definitely a full-time job. I've done four different movies where, it's like, you do that for a few months and then you're done. You're out of that character. With soaps, though, everyone gets to know you and you become associated with your character. Everyone thinks of you in that role. But I wasn't on Days for that long so I'm not really too worried about being "Will" forever. I can definitely move onto other things.

Soaps.com: What other projects are you involved with right now?

Dylan: Right now it's been extremely slow. Everything I go out on, I've been so close but there's just so many other people out there trying to do the same thing. When I was on Days, I didn't have to worry about going out to audition for other parts like I'm doing now. It's a lot harder than it was before.

Soaps.com: Would you ever return to daytime?

Dylan: There's a possibility out there right now that I might end up on another soap. That's still kind of up in the air.

Soaps.com: What if Days ever asked you back?

Dylan: If Days ever asked me to come back? Yeah, I probably would, if they really wanted me to!

http://soaps.sheknows.com/daysofourlives/news/id/9739/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Wow amazing interview but maybe it was just me or was he not excited if they made him gay? He did`nt seem that was the route he wanted to take, hence the question after they asked him about playing gay.

Beth
Member Avatar

He's a young guy who isn't gay why would he want to play a gay role if he didn't have to?

alstonboy4315
Member Avatar
"Even iron bends"..Victoria Rowell

I am sooooo happy that he was replaced with a more capable actor. He was never HORRIBLE, but damned close. Actors, in my opinion, who don't want to play gay roles need to find new professions. I just feel that it's an actors job to ACT!!! That's part of the job requirement. People have no problems playing murderers, child molestors, drug dealers. vampires or even aliens from another planet---but ask them to kiss a guy, and they are ready to scream BLOODY MURDER??? I don't get it. There are MANY actors out there who are willing, ready and able to pick up the slack. I just don't have any tolerance for actors that think they are "above" playing certain things--especially gay characters--out of fear that it will hurt their male pride or set off rumors.

Hollywood leading men who are SECURE in their sexuality have NO problems playing gay men.

That's my rant for today!!

lysie
Member Avatar

JamesScott_19
Jun 17 2010, 09:58 PM
Wow amazing interview but maybe it was just me or was he not excited if they made him gay? He did`nt seem that was the route he wanted to take, hence the question after they asked him about playing gay.
I figured he was just wondering. If they had asked him to play gay and he had refused and then been fired, and then the new actor was now playing gay, that theory would make sense, but since that's not what has happened, it seemed like he was just wondering where that came from. It didn't sound to me like he would have minded playing gay at all. I don't think he could have, but it doesn't sound like he would have cared.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

Beth
Jun 18 2010, 09:41 AM
He's a young guy who isn't gay why would he want to play a gay role if he didn't have to?
Hey I am not knocking the guy down, if he does`n want to play a gay character that it is choice. It just something that I realized,I am not bashing the guy.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 18 2010, 10:33 AM
JamesScott_19
Jun 17 2010, 09:58 PM
I figured he was just wondering. If they had asked him to play gay and he had refused and then been fired, and then the new actor was now playing gay, that theory would make sense, but since that's not what has happened, it seemed like he was just wondering where that came from. It didn't sound to me like he would have minded playing gay at all. I don't think he could have, but it doesn't sound like he would have cared.
I agree it is just something that I noticed, I don`t think he would be opposed to it.

DOOLFan85

alstonboy4315
Jun 18 2010, 10:28 AM
I am sooooo happy that he was replaced with a more capable actor. He was never HORRIBLE, but damned close. Actors, in my opinion, who don't want to play gay roles need to find new professions. I just feel that it's an actors job to ACT!!! That's part of the job requirement. People have no problems playing murderers, child molestors, drug dealers. vampires or even aliens from another planet---but ask them to kiss a guy, and they are ready to scream BLOODY MURDER??? I don't get it. There are MANY actors out there who are willing, ready and able to pick up the slack. I just don't have any tolerance for actors that think they are "above" playing certain things--especially gay characters--out of fear that it will hurt their male pride or set off rumors.

Hollywood leading men who are SECURE in their sexuality have NO problems playing gay men.

I agree with this whole post! A good number of the audience in daytime (plus an overall entertainment) are from the lgbt community not just your traditional housemoms. Why is it when an actor is approached with the idea they will have to play gay or be a pflag they can't suck it up and put on a good show for their audience?? And if you get a gay following be grateful there are actors who are dying to have just one fan.

Yet I will cut Dylan some slack because like what Lysie said he seemed curious if they were going to do it plus he said if they asked him to return he would do it. But no thanks nuWill is pretty good.
Edited by DOOLFan85, Jun 18 2010, 04:15 PM.

Dr. Chip

What I can't get over is that after all the talk of Gary Tomlin being on set all the time, and the new high-speed pace of the show, this kid's talking about another "kid" actor pulling down his pants and everyone busting out laughing after their scenes??? I wonder what the vets thought about all that. And I wonder if that's one of the reasons he and "the other kids" are all on their way out -- oldWill, Mia, and (soon, please) Gabi.

Sarah
Member Avatar

Beth
Jun 18 2010, 09:41 AM
ITīs just fiction but what l heard who knows Dylan mother very well she thought Dylan got fired they wanted make William gay ( since Dool never gave Dylan the reason what the reason was why he was fired ) no offense to Chandler he can roll into a gay SL very good!
I like new William who plays by Chandler always keep in mind he could play a gay character as well !! not like anymore the kids never saw Chad really as a kid but Dool did was one the dommiest thing ever canīt wait where chad sl heading to. Gabi is useless for me l waiting when they dump her .
Edited by Sarah, Jun 19 2010, 03:39 AM.

alstonboy4315
Member Avatar
"Even iron bends"..Victoria Rowell

DOOLFan85
Jun 18 2010, 04:13 PM
alstonboy4315
Jun 18 2010, 10:28 AM

I agree with this whole post! A good number of the audience in daytime (plus an overall entertainment) are from the lgbt community not just your traditional housemoms. Why is it when an actor is approached with the idea they will have to play gay or be a pflag they can't suck it up and put on a good show for their audience?? And if you get a gay following be grateful there are actors who are dying to have just one fan.

Yet I will cut Dylan some slack because like what Lysie said he seemed curious if they were going to do it plus he said if they asked him to return he would do it. But no thanks nuWill is pretty good.
Thanks for the support. My philosophy and advice for ALL soap actors, especially in this current climate of uncertainty, is to--- SAY WHAT'S ON THE FREAKING SCRIPT OR KICK ROCKS.

These shows, and the whole genre of soap operas in general, are about CHARACTERS not actors. Actors come and go, but these characters are what have the TRUE longevity. People expecting the producers and writers to accommodate THEM need to be prepared for a swift kick in the ass!!! It's like the old saying says: The show must go on.

My rant is not necessarily about Dylan Patton, but the Patricia Mauceris and Chris Engens of the world. Thankfully, both actors have left daytime, and are unlikely to return. Ego sometimes trumps opportunity. I do wish Dylan Patton well, but he was NOT a good actor. Like Taylor Spreitler's much needed FIRING, his being fired almost seems like a mercy killing. Hate to be overly dramatic. Just sayin....

He needs to go back to acting classes and STUDY. I feel that many of these horrible young actors get stuck in their own mediocrity because they get these plum acting roles and then they suddenly start believing that their "ish" doesn't smell anymore, and that they are perfect. Pretty soon, the acting coaches and acting classes fall by the wayside, and they develop this sense of false grandeur. Perhaps one day he will look back on YouTube at old clips of his acting on DAYS and realize how truly UNINSPIRED and UNINSPIRING his performances truly were.

Okay, my rant is over for now. Time for some ice water. My throat is dry from all that talking!! LOL!!!!
Edited by alstonboy4315, Jun 19 2010, 05:21 AM.

lumifan4life85
Member Avatar

Quite honestly if they were playing pranks or doing stupid things (Mooning people) It's no wonder he got fired.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply