Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Old TV Westerns; - Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rawhide, Wagon Train, etc.
Topic Started: Jun 22 2010, 10:17 PM (1,529 Views)
Gilbert
Member Avatar
I'm just like snow... I get laid

Any other old fogies around here who love to watch the old TV westerns.

I loved all of them but my 2 faves were Rawhide and Wild Wild West.

I loved Clint Eastwood on Rawhide and the Martin guy on Wild Wild West was remarkable in the way he could adapt to so many different characters throughout the series.

Also loved The Big Valley....Barbara Stanwyck was awesome.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Gilbert
Jun 22 2010, 10:17 PM
Any other old fogies around here who love to watch the old TV westerns.

I loved all of them but my 2 faves were Rawhide and Wild Wild West.

I loved Clint Eastwood on Rawhide and the Martin guy on Wild Wild West was remarkable in the way he could adapt to so many different characters throughout the series.

Also loved The Big Valley....Barbara Stanwyck was awesome.
"You'll always be a BARKLEY!" "nO! NOOO!"! "Don't try to to understand 'em! Just rope and throw and brand 'em"! I miss RAWHIDE! Some cable channel used to run it every day in the '90s! I never got to see most of the westerns the first time around! I DID sneak around and watch BIG VALLEY when it first aired and then over and over in syndication!Weekends were great for all day marathons of THE VIRGINIAN, WAGON TRAIN etc.!

Gilbert
Member Avatar

I keep my Encore subscription on Satellite just for the Western channel. My only complaint is they don't that many of the old series....The Virginian, Maverick, and Gunsmoke are it. I like those, but they could add more old series and quit showing the same movies over and over and over and over.

The Gunsmokes they are showing now are the ones with Burt Reynolds in them. I never saw those. So I am enjoying those a lot.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Gilbert
Jun 22 2010, 10:55 PM
I keep my Encore subscription on Satellite just for the Western channel. My only complaint is they don't that many of the old series....The Virginian, Maverick, and Gunsmoke are it. I like those, but they could add more old series and quit showing the same movies over and over and over and over.

The Gunsmokes they are showing now are the ones with Burt Reynolds in them. I never saw those. So I am enjoying those a lot.
I used to get that package and I LOVED the B&W GUNSMOKEs that I NEVER saw! We have the RETRO network here and they were showing THE VIRGINIAN twice on Sunday mornings a couple of months ago! I FINALLY got to see some of the Charles Bickford episodes! For some reason, they never seemed to turn up no matter how often THE VIRGINIAN was shown! Then they changed their schedule and now run LAREDO, WAGON TRAIN and THE RIFLEMAN! LAREDO is usually just a lot of cornball humor! But I vaguely remember seeing an episode on a Friday night at my Grandmother's when I could stay up late! I recall something about an old guy keeping one of the rangers hostage in a huge house! Then he fell to his death at the end! It seemed to be played pretty straight and I keep looking out for it but so far no luck! LAREDO had one of the best western theme songs and I believe part of it was used as background music on RAWHIDE!

Gilbert
Member Avatar

I love Wagon Train. It has been years since I have seen it around here. Would love it. Bette Davis starred in one episode of it and she was remarkable.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

My mother LOVED Wagon Train. Growing up, CBN (now ABC Family) would air westerns (TV series and movies) every Sunday afternoon and in between morning church service and evening church service, my mother would spend the time after Sunday dinner watching westerns. So also particularly loved Big Valley and High Chaparral. My father, on the other hand, loved Gunsmoke (in a very round about way, I was named after Matt Dillon), The Virginian, The Rifleman, and Have Gun Will Travel.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Matt
Jun 23 2010, 12:28 AM
My mother LOVED Wagon Train. Growing up, CBN (now ABC Family) would air westerns (TV series and movies) every Sunday afternoon and in between morning church service and evening church service, my mother would spend the time after Sunday dinner watching westerns. So also particularly loved Big Valley and High Chaparral. My father, on the other hand, loved Gunsmoke (in a very round about way, I was named after Matt Dillon), The Virginian, The Rifleman, and Have Gun Will Travel.
YES! CBN was the cable network to watch on Saturdays and Sundays! I LOVED those shows! Looking back, I think GUNSMOKE holds up better than BONANZA and some others! I believe I've seen every episode except for most of the half-hours! We used to visit my mother's parents on Monday nights a lot and they had the first color TV in our family! My grandfather loved GUNSMOKE and I have some vague memory of RED SKELTON being on the same night! I always thought Matt was one of the coolest names ever along with Nick from BIG VALLEY! If I had sons, I planned on naming them all after Western characters from TV and movies! Shane and Ethan (from THE SEARCHERS)were big too! Lucky for the kids, they never materialized! I DO have a nephew named Nick though! And a young friend named Matt who HATES it when I call him "Mattheewww" in my Festus voice!

Gilbert
Member Avatar

I hated the religious shows on CBN but boy they used to have some really great shows on there. I watched the westerns too, but also watched The Bob Cummings Show, I Married Joan, The Life of Riley, My Little Margie, Burns and Allen and oh so many great 50's comedies I missed out on. I would sit up late every night watching them.

Back to the Westerns, Starz Westerns are on the Mavericks now without James Garner. I preferred him but the other guy is not too bad at times either.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Gilbert
Jun 25 2010, 06:21 PM
I hated the religious shows on CBN but boy they used to have some really great shows on there. I watched the westerns too, but also watched The Bob Cummings Show, I Married Joan, The Life of Riley, My Little Margie, Burns and Allen and oh so many great 50's comedies I missed out on. I would sit up late every night watching them.

Back to the Westerns, Starz Westerns are on the Mavericks now without James Garner. I preferred him but the other guy is not too bad at times either.
Oh I LOVED those all night '50's shows! I miss them so much! I was always up all night watching them too! We had a station in Worcester which started playing "Maverick" when I was a teen! I loved it! Jack Kelly was Bart I believe, Brett's brother! Then they had a cousin Beau who showed up when Garner left completely! He was played by Roger Moore! And there was one other brother/cousin who was in a couple of late episodes! I can't remember his name for the life of me! But he was played by Robert Colbert, who played Stuart Brooks, the original patriarch on Y&R! I loved some of the recurring con artists played by Effrem Zimbalist Jr and Richard Long! There was also a female card shark who recurred in the Garner episodes! I can't remember the character's name but I THINK the actress was Diane Brewster! Such great memories!

Gilbert
Member Avatar

The ones on right now are ones with Jack Kelly. The eppys this week have been pretty good even though Maverick has not ever been one of my favorite westerns. I still enjoy it.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Gilbert
Jun 25 2010, 08:15 PM
The ones on right now are ones with Jack Kelly. The eppys this week have been pretty good even though Maverick has not ever been one of my favorite westerns. I still enjoy it.
It was played more for laughs with Garner! Kelly's character got caught up in a lot more straightforward action I think! Of course it's been EONS since I saw those shows! I also loved WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE and THE WESTERNER with Brian Keith! They used to be shown on one of the few all night stations in Boston when I was in high school!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Retro TV Talk · Next Topic »
Add Reply