Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Fired Up - Hope's Plan; July 27th issue; article summary
Topic Started: Jul 15 2010, 01:25 PM (3,592 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 15 2010, 02:12 PM
And, maybe Higley does have issues but so what? The best writers are often those with issues because they can tap into their own experiences and create something far more effective. Not saying Higley is doing that here (especially since I doubt she wrote much beyond the premise) or that she has ever done it but I don't think having issues is really a problem. It can sometimes be a benefit.
Not when you write dumb shit.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

Amello
Jul 15 2010, 02:02 PM
Kenny
Jul 15 2010, 01:58 PM
You can tell certain things about writers based on the stories they write. With JER, you could tell he was a deeply religious man and a social oddity. With Langan, you could tell he was a pedophile. With Higley, it's glaringly obvious that she has serious issues based on the stories she writes. REAL issues. Mental issues. Not only does she come across as a midlife crisis-haven scatterbrained idiot in interviews (and remember her blog?!), but her stories seem to indicate that she has many deep, unresolved issues with the male and female population. I mean, this Hope story makes absolutely no sense to sane viewers. And remember the Margaret/Todd story she wrote on OLTL in which Todd was physically abused and tied to a bed a-la "Misery" for several months while Margaret repeatedly raped him and beat him and forcefully tried to get pregnant with his child? I think Higley identifies with these man-hating, woman-destroying stories because some smart man probably left her ass years ago for another woman or maybe he abused her or something. I'm not sure what her issues are, but she clearly has some and it's quite obvious based on these dumbass stories she writes.
Langan is a pedophile ... :lol:
LOL - I'd go with something more of a domestic violence bent, but clearly, the man had issues. GREAT post Kenny... you summed it up so well. Tim, for you to say the story is "misunderstood" implies that you're understanding the truth about it, while the rest of us are not. If the story is striking so many viewers as ridiculous and insulting, and the ratings aren't budging, I'd say perhaps there is some truth to everyone's reactions. When the main point of the story becomes what the 'affected' character is doing rather than why they're doing it, the story has taken a wrong turn. As Kenny's saying, Higley puts the emphasis on the 'dark actions' rather than removing the cause (in other words, the opposite of what occurred in the possession story). Meaning, the pills are the vehicle for Higley to be able to tell a story about Hope hurting people she loves. The way it should be is that Hope's actions contribute to a larger story which teaches us about something (love? redemption? family?) and isn't a PSA for the dangers of Ambien abuse.

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

I truly loathe Barley. Carley is a home wrecker that just needs to disppear. She has no story w.o. Bo, Bope should be the couple, not Barley.

peaches179

Angie79
Jul 15 2010, 01:25 PM
He pledges his love for her and says they can run off together, they can travel,” says Kristian. Her reaction? “It think Hope is touched and taken aback, but it doesn’t throw her off course,” says Kristian.

LOL!!!

Dr. Chip

Kenny, maybe Nighttime Hope is Dena and Bo is Ed Scott. LOL

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

soapfanalways
Jul 15 2010, 02:32 PM
I truly loathe Barley. Carley is a home wrecker that just needs to disppear. She has no story w.o. Bo, Bope should be the couple, not Barley.
Let me grab a pen so I can sign this.... instead of Viv being buried alive.... can we do away with Carly...please....please?

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Thanks Angie for posting, sounds like alot of fun.

lazydazes
Member Avatar

Ok. I guess they wanted to add a new spin to their ongoing saga. :shrug: I hope that this tale is reaching its own end. Let's hope that fall turns out better than these last several months.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Is this the end? Can they arrest Hope now?

What a failure of this writing team to break up Bope in order to give us what? A watered down Carbo, with whiny Carly. Bo looks like an idiot and Hope a clingy, crazy woman ala all those "women empowerment" movies where they do something crazy to their cheating exs- like burn a house or their middle age crisis Ferrari!

They are taking characters that were rich in historical relevance in DAYS and turning them into shallow stunts actors with no direction.

I would have LOVED Princess Gina to come back or another personality for Hope. It would have been prefect- the woman finds out that her husband has moved on, her Grams dies and she cant sleep, could of added that she messed up something at work so even thats not a haven for her- out comes Gina, or some other tough bitch with no feelings! That would have been awesome because I really like KA when she plays the bitch!

Deleted User
Deleted User

I burst out laughing when I read that Nighttime Hope says she's actually there to pick up video games for Ciara.
I LOVE when bad guys fake being good and ends up sounding so cheesy!
This story is incredible!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Jul 15 2010, 01:50 PM
What about it is ridiculous? She's under the influence of the pills and all her suppressed anger is manifesting itself in the state the pills put her in. There is already cases out there of sleeping pills having severe effects and then you have a woman like Hope who has been through hell. It makes perfect sense, especially given this is a soap. And, no, maybe Hope wouldn't do this but it's not really the real, typical Hope, now is it?

This has to be the most misunderstood story on soaps in a long time. For once, the show actually is telling a story that revolves around something that has actually happened in terms of sleeping pill effects and they are tying suppressed human emotions (anger, resentment, devastation) into it and are taking their time telling the story. There is also a hint of psychology involved too yet it's called ridiculous drivel. No, it's not perfect and mistakes have been made but I certainly think it's more then Dena living vicariously through this story. I doubt the bitch even wrote more than the original premise of it.
I was with you up until the bitch comment.
This is a real human with real thoughts and feelings.
I'll never get this board's irrational hatred of Dena Higley.
She's not a soap character; let's treat her with dignity, please!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

JERSoapsFan
Jul 15 2010, 11:37 PM
PhoenixRising05
What about it is ridiculous? She's under the influence of the pills and all her suppressed anger is manifesting itself in the state the pills put her in. There is already cases out there of sleeping pills having severe effects and then you have a woman like Hope who has been through hell. It makes perfect sense, especially given this is a soap. And, no, maybe Hope wouldn't do this but it's not really the real, typical Hope, now is it?

This has to be the most misunderstood story on soaps in a long time. For once, the show actually is telling a story that revolves around something that has actually happened in terms of sleeping pill effects and they are tying suppressed human emotions (anger, resentment, devastation) into it and are taking their time telling the story. There is also a hint of psychology involved too yet it's called ridiculous drivel. No, it's not perfect and mistakes have been made but I certainly think it's more then Dena living vicariously through this story. I doubt the bitch even wrote more than the original premise of it.
Why? She has never treated the viewers with any dignity with her shit non-stories.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

JERSoapsFan
LoL, "Dena Higley" and "dignity" are two phrases that should never be used in the same sentence together.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Kenny
Jul 15 2010, 01:58 PM
You can tell certain things about writers based on the stories they write. With JER, you could tell he was a deeply religious man and a social oddity. With Langan, you could tell he was a pedophile. With Higley, it's glaringly obvious that she has serious issues based on the stories she writes. REAL issues. Mental issues. Not only does she come across as a midlife crisis-haven scatterbrained idiot in interviews (and remember her blog?!), but her stories seem to indicate that she has many deep, unresolved issues with the entire male and female population. I mean, this Hope story makes absolutely no sense to sane viewers. And remember the Margaret/Todd story she wrote on OLTL in which Todd was physically abused and tied to a bed a-la "Misery" for several months while Margaret repeatedly raped him and beat him and forcefully tried to get pregnant with his child? I think Higley identifies with these man-hating, woman-destroying stories because some smart man probably left her ass years ago for another woman or maybe he abused her or something. I'm not sure what her issues are, but she clearly has some and it's quite obvious based on these dumbass stories she writes.
Sometimes, I think what we think about people says more about ourselves than what it does about the person we're thinking about.

This may be the case with this board's reaction to Dena Higley.

Kenny, I can tell you why Dena and other soap writers write crazy stories -- it's not because of their "issues."

It's because of the ratings factor.
The trainwreck factor.

Why people don't go to that first -- instead of judging their character -- is beyond me.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Amello
Jul 15 2010, 11:39 PM
JERSoapsFan
PhoenixRising05

Why? She has never treated the viewers with any dignity with her shit non-stories.
Um * clears throat*

She's not personally attacking each viewer.
And in a public venue.
And if she were, since viewers are usually private citizens, it would be libel, since "bitch" is actually an actionable term in a court of law. (Far less so for a public entity like Higley.)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

JERSoapsFan
Jul 15 2010, 11:43 PM
Amello
JERSoapsFan

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Um * clears throat*

And in a public venue.
And if she were, since viewers are usually private citizens, it would be libel, since "bitch" is actually an actionable term in a court of law. (Far less so for a public entity like Higley.)
I never said she was a bitch. She could be a really nice lady. But again, she deserves no respect or dignity because the fact that she has the job she does is a complete abomination of the writing profession. Personally, that is offensive to moi. And EVERY SINGLE "STORY" on the show currently is horrid.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Amello
Jul 15 2010, 11:47 PM
JERSoapsFan
Amello

Um * clears throat*

And in a public venue.
I never said she was a bitch. She could be a really nice lady. But again, she deserves no respect or dignity because the fact that she has the job she does is a complete abomination of the writing profession. Personally, that is offensive to moi. And EVERY SINGLE "STORY" on the show currently is horrid.
But others have -- and they've also said much worse.

Let's not forget a couple of things:
1. Art is subjective.
2. Dena's job is a small part of who she is. She most certainly deserves to be treated with dignity, because she's above all, else, human. And may belong to a church, or a number of clubs or service organizations. Plus, she's a mother. That's a damn good thing.

Her job makes up so very little of herself. I'm alarmed that some would rob her of her dignity -- literally -- because of her perceived job performance.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

JERSoapsFan
Jul 15 2010, 11:58 PM
Amello
JERSoapsFan

1. Art is subjective.
2. Dena's job is a small part of who she is. She most certainly deserves to be treated with dignity, because she's above all, else, human. And may belong to a church, or a number of clubs or service organizations. Plus, she's a mother. That's a damn good thing.

Her job makes up so very little of herself. I'm alarmed that some would rob her of her dignity -- literally -- because of her perceived job performance.
Art is NOT subjective when it's complete and utter shit. Also, NOTHING on daytime television has been art in at least a decade.

Second, that's not true. If someone is a true WRITER, especially of an hour long SOAP OPERA with a minimum of 25-30 characters, then a TRUE WRITER would LIVE and BREATH their work. They would want to make sure their art is being perfected by the actors, the directors, the lighting, etc ... And do you really thinking bringing about religion or being a mother grants dignity? Why don't you go ask OctoMom and Reverend Phelps.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Amello
Jul 16 2010, 12:03 AM
JERSoapsFan
Amello

1. Art is subjective.

Art is NOT subjective when it's complete and utter shit. Also, NOTHING on daytime television has been art in at least a decade.

Second, that's not true. If someone is a true WRITER, especially of an hour long SOAP OPERA with a minimum of 25-30 characters, then a TRUE WRITER would LIVE and BREATH their work. They would want to make sure their art is being perfected by the actors, the directors, the lighting, etc ... And do you really thinking bringing about religion or being a mother grants dignity? Why don't you go ask OctoMom and Reverend Phelps.
:unsure: :shame:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

JERSoapsFan
Jul 16 2010, 12:05 AM
Amello
Jul 16 2010, 12:03 AM
JERSoapsFan

:unsure: :shame:
I'm glad to read that you see the error of your ways.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply