Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Crisis at Days! Corday interview.; Aug 17th issue
Topic Started: Aug 5 2010, 04:17 PM (25,178 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

I have to wonder how they can focus more on Bo and Hope with their contract situations. PR and KA both make big salaries and have low episode guarantees. It has been speculated their guarantee is 2 shows a week. They have been featured heavily since June. PR had to be written out because he was getting close to reaching his max guarantee.

The only positive thing is KA just signed a new contract in June so her cycle just restarted. PR's contract is up this month so his cycle is restarting as well. However, if they feature both of them heavily into November sweeps, they could really be backburnered in 2011. With the budget crisis, I can't see Days letting them go over their episode guarantees.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DOOLFan85

dntdropthesoap
Aug 5 2010, 04:34 PM
I kind of agree with what he is saying. If I could pick ONE thing that has contributed to the downfall of the show, it was the endless episodes centered on Daniel, Carly, Chloe, Melanie, and Philip. It was dominating the show, and it was BORING. I don't think anyone cares about Daniel and Chloe, or Philip and Melanie. The same for Brady and Ari, which has been rectified by writing Ari out. None of those characters should be driving story. I couldn't care less who Sami ends up with, but I just don't believe her pairing with either Rafe or EJ has contributed to the loss in ratings. Too many people are invested in the outcome.
ITA. And the dialogue has turned viewership cockeyed.
Edited by DOOLFan85, Aug 5 2010, 04:39 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Corday may have done himself a favor by not giving up everything in the plan to save the show like he has done in the past. All he said was that Bo and Hope would be seen more, as will EJ, Nicole, Sami and Rafe get more spotlight on the four of them in their story rather than other people that were involved. Very vague. That's good because it doesn't give the fans a lot of hope that something is going to happen, which they produce in their head, and then once it's on screen, it's not executed the way they may have wanted and they rip it to shreds. I know that's how I feel about Brady's supposed "dark" turn, which I'm assuming was this past week and the rough sex he had with Nicole. Was that it? If so, I'm disappointed.
I agree.

He held back and that is a very good thing. I'm trying not to give him too much credit though because I don't think it was all him. I think there just wasn't much to promote because they aren't making any changes other then moving things up and tweaking things. It's not like in the past where they completely ended stories and immediately started new ones (thank God). He also seems to avoid spilling everything since Tomlin came on. No one wants to know everything that is going to happen. It ruins it.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Well at least there making changes. This is a good thing. Bo & Hope more front burner was deffinetley good news.

Ellie

Quote:

"I definitely feel there is light at the end of the tunnel," he says. "We've reinvented the show economically as far as the production goes. That was extremely difficult to do with half the money. To steer the ship a few degrees into a better current is easier to do. We are about to reinvent the storytelling pace on the show. I feel extremely good and positive. I feel very strongly about Dena's story, November sweeps into March of next year.

1. He seems to think his first point (the budget cuts) and his 2nd point (the state of the show now) aren't related. He's completely wrong, and to use his analogy, he's missing the boat.

2. "I feel very strongly about Dena's story" says it all, doesn't it. He likes the writing and he thinks the revamping of the production model was a success. The show's current state is unrelated to this. The man is completely clueless.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Cupcake06
Aug 5 2010, 04:36 PM
SocRMum1
Aug 5 2010, 04:29 PM
I was asking JS about the upcoming stories in Greenville and he (jokingly) asked, "Would you like me to give you the scoop on how November sweeps will play out?" Then said..."Well, I can't...because it all got moved up two months. Everything that was supposed to play in November is happening two months earlier..."

The sydnapper stuff was supposed to come out in November? WHAT?!?
Of course it was supposed to be revealed then. The kidnapping was this year's baby switch story. The baby switch climaxed in November of last year so I always figured the original plan was to reveal EJ as behind the kidnapping in November.

Obviously, they believe people were just tired of the story because that seems to be the only story being moved up, so to speak. Sadly, I think that means we won't see Anna again. LH had said she was supposed to return to filming sometime at the end of summer/early Fall, which probably meant she would show up in November for the reveal. With the story being moved up, I can't see that happening now.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

SocRMum1
I was asking JS about the upcoming stories in Greenville and he (jokingly) asked, "Would you like me to give you the scoop on how November sweeps will play out?" Then said..."Well, I can't...because it all got moved up two months. Everything that was supposed to play in November is happening two months earlier..."

So while it's clear they've done some re-tooling, the question I have is what happens during September, October and November...which Corday seems to have conveniently failed to mention between this:
Quote:

It's must see in August and I fully expect to see an increase in the ratings from this point out.

and this:

Quote:

I feel very strongly about Dena's story, November sweeps into March of next year.

It would seem to me there is a potential for whatever gains might be made in August to be lost again if there is nothing but a holding pattern between what was going to happen during sweeps and what will actually happen when the time comes.
isn't that exactly what happened with Days from Feb to May of this year? yep....From Nov to Feb they were fine....although demos were creeping lower...but still viewership held steady and then came the drop....Corday has no clue what Dena is thinking of doing...I dont' think Dena has a clue either...

I firmly believe that August is going to happen and might impact the viewership but not like it would have impacted it come September....they are going to miss the ball unless they have a whoshot EJ scenario that can play out from Sept-Nov

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

PhoenixRising05
Aug 5 2010, 04:42 PM
Cupcake06
SocRMum1

Of course it was supposed to be revealed then. The kidnapping was this year's baby switch story. The baby switch climaxed in November of last year so I always figured the original plan was to reveal EJ as behind the kidnapping in November.

Obviously, they believe people were just tired of the story because that seems to be the only story being moved up, so to speak. Sadly, I think that means we won't see Anna again. LH had said she was supposed to return to filming sometime at the end of summer/early Fall, which probably meant she would show up in November for the reveal. With the story being moved up, I can't see that happening now.
No. Leann said months back she would be taping episodes in the summer...not the end of it.
Edited by Casey, Aug 5 2010, 04:46 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

When you read it, its if he's taken everything we complain about; pacing, romance, back to more central characters, and giving us what we want?!

Sorry, but it isnt believable after such a terrible 2010. KC should have previewed something-that article just tells us the same things happening, only faster?

I guess we have to extrapolate the characters he didn't talk about: Brady, Carly, Melanie, Stephanie, etc? as those he's going to put on the backburner?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Is Tomlin going to write the show again now?

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Aug 5 2010, 04:39 PM
He also seems to avoid spilling everything since Tomlin came on. No one wants to know everything that is going to happen. It ruins it.

Not true. Last year he spoiled May sweeps.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cupcake06

PhoenixRising05
Aug 5 2010, 04:42 PM
Cupcake06
SocRMum1

At first I always thought it would be November, but then I heard September so I just figured I was wrong. But hearing now that it really WAS going to be November makes it so hard to imagine, since everyone seems so worn out from it.

If that makes any sense :)

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Sindacco
Aug 5 2010, 04:51 PM
PhoenixRising05
He also seems to avoid spilling everything since Tomlin came on. No one wants to know everything that is going to happen. It ruins it.

Not true. Last year he spoiled May sweeps.
Corday spoils everything..

annie
Member Avatar

Rest in peace Days.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

DAYS has proven time and time again that if any show can see rapid declines in ratings followed by rapid increases, it is DAYS.

DAYS will rebound, it always does, even when things were bleaker than they are right now (ratings wise).

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Also DAYS being the 4th most watched network show online certainly bodes well for it...especially considering it is NBC number one most watched show online.

Say what you will, but in todays technologically advanced world, that means something!

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

PhoenixRising05
DrewHamilton
Corday may have done himself a favor by not giving up everything in the plan to save the show like he has done in the past. All he said was that Bo and Hope would be seen more, as will EJ, Nicole, Sami and Rafe get more spotlight on the four of them in their story rather than other people that were involved. Very vague. That's good because it doesn't give the fans a lot of hope that something is going to happen, which they produce in their head, and then once it's on screen, it's not executed the way they may have wanted and they rip it to shreds. I know that's how I feel about Brady's supposed "dark" turn, which I'm assuming was this past week and the rough sex he had with Nicole. Was that it? If so, I'm disappointed.
I agree.

He held back and that is a very good thing. I'm trying not to give him too much credit though because I don't think it was all him. I think there just wasn't much to promote because they aren't making any changes other then moving things up and tweaking things. It's not like in the past where they completely ended stories and immediately started new ones (thank God). He also seems to avoid spilling everything since Tomlin came on. No one wants to know everything that is going to happen. It ruins it.

I think he held back on purpose...because I truly think he has NO PLAN formulated yet....he is in a wait and see approach...and the only thing that they did was move up the baby kidnapping story....the NTHope story was suppose to climax now anyway...but the kidnapping was suppose to move along through the summer and then explode in November and since it's failed they have decided to push it up and get it out of the way. I am not saying that they don't have a clear picture of what might shake out in November (cast changes, writer changes and other stuff)...but I don't think that he wants to say anything about THAT now because I don't think he feels as confident as he sounds in this article.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Mitchapalooza
Aug 5 2010, 04:54 PM
Also DAYS being the 4th most watched network show online certainly bodes well for it...especially considering it is NBC number one most watched show online.

Say what you will, but in todays technologically advanced world, that means something!
unless the advertisers can someone get their revenue from online views it means nothing to the ones who pay for the show to air.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

esp13
Aug 5 2010, 04:32 PM
If, and it's a big IF, Corday is not just blowing smoke about the streaming and the fact that the network likes that, then things might not be as crappy as they appear in the ratings. But, I have a hard time believing Corday most of the time.
I think he's actually not blowing smoke about that 4.5 million numbers--there have been some articles recently about online viewing that would support that. However, what he failed to do was identify how many of those 4.5 million viewers are unique viewers. In the numbers I've seen recently Days didn't crack the top 10 in unique viewers for online viewing on the network websites (as far as I know, youtube and Hulu weren't accounted for), though I think four other soaps did.

So, in other words, Days is not the only soap to benefit from online viewing. If the ratings were adjusted to reflect online viewing, at least on the network websites, from the numbers I saw that could possibly even worsen where Days stands in relation to other soaps. Furthermore, I don't know how long they've been tracking those numbers and who's to say that if the show were better, those numbers wouldn't be higher? Just because not all viewers are being captured--though I'm certainly in favor of as accurate an assessment as possible--doesn't mean that (1) Days would have an advantage over the other soaps if it did and (2) that those viewers aren't trending downwards as the "traditional" viewers have been.

What I gather from this article is that the same sucky stories and dynamics will be present, only speeded up, and that the root problems are not being addressed. :sarcasm: Fantastic.
Edited by Paxton, Aug 5 2010, 05:00 PM.

Criss33
Member Avatar

I see EJAMI and I totally see Racole and i can't wait!! I really do like Nicole and Rafe together i can see them rocking the show!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply