Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Record-Setting "Days" Episode: 8/23/10
Topic Started: Aug 23 2010, 04:39 PM (1,786 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

"Days of Our Lives" episode # 11402, which aired on Monday, August 23, 2010, was comprised of 50 scenes, a new "Days" record for most scenes in one episode. The complete scene-by-scene listing is below:

Act T-Scene A: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick)
Act T-Scene B: Nicole's Apartment (Nicole, Rafe)
FLASHBACK (EJ voiceover, Stefano voiceover)
Act T-Scene C: Daniel's Apartment (Chloe, Daniel, Melanie, Philip)
Act T-Scene D: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly, Sister Anne)
Act T-Scene E: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act T-Scene F: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick)
Act 1-Scene A: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 1-Scene B: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly, Sister Anne)
Act 1-Scene C: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman)
Act 2-Scene A: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 2-Scene B: Daniel's Apartment (Chloe, Daniel, Melanie, Philip)
Act 2-Scene C: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly, Sister Anne)
Act 2-Scene D: Nicole's Apartment (Nicole, Rafe)
Act 2-Scene E: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman)
Act 3-Scene A: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman)
Act 3-Scene B: Nicole's Apartment (Nicole, Rafe)
Act 3-Scene C: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Lexie, Will, Roman)
Act 3-Scene D: Nicole's Apartment (Nicole, Rafe)
Act 4-Scene A: Daniel's Apartment (Chloe, Daniel, Melanie, Philip)
Act 4-Scene B: Nice Pier (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 4-Scene C: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly, Sister Anne)
Act 4-Scene D: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman)
FLASHBACK (Sami, Rafe, Nicole)
Act 5-Scene A: Daniel's Bedroom (Daniel, Chloe)
Act 5-Scene B: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly)
Intercut: Brady's Pub (Melanie, Xs)
Act 5-Scene C: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 5-Scene D: Rafe's Office (Nicole, Rafe)
Act 5-Scene E: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman, Johnny, Allie)
Act 6-Scene A: Daniel's Bedroom (Daniel, Chloe)
Act 6-Scene B: Brady's Pub (Melanie, Philip, Xs)
Intercut: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly, Sister Anne)
Act 6-Scene C: Brady's Pub (Melanie, Philip, Xs)
Act 6-Scene D: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman, Johnny, Allie)
Act 6-Scene E: Rafe's Office (Nicole, Rafe, Agent Cooper)
Intercut: Brady's Pub (Gabi, Xs)
Act 7-Scene A: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 7-Scene B: Daniel's Bedroom (Chloe)
Act 7-Scene C: Nice Pier (Daniel)
Act 7-Scene D: Ext. Brady's Pub (Philip)
Act 7-Scene E: Maggie's Kitchen (Melanie)
Act 7-Scene F: Daniel's Apartment (Chloe)
Act 7-Scene G: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly, Sister Anne)
Act 7-Scene H: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 7-Scene I: St. Mary's Nurses' Station (Carly)
Act 7-Scene J: Rafe's Office (Nicole, Rafe, Agent Cooper)
Intercut: Brady's Pub (Gabi, Xs)
Act 7-Scene K: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman)
Act 8-Scene A: Stephanie's Apartment (Stephanie, Ian)
Act 8-Scene B: Nice Pier (Daniel)
Act 8-Scene C: Brady's Pub (Philip, Xs)
Act 8-Scene D: Maggie's Kitchen (Melanie)
Act 8-Scene E: Daniel's Apartment & Corridor (Chloe, Carly)
Act 8-Scene F: Rafe's Office (Nicole, Agent Cooper)
Act 8-Scene G: DiMera Mansion (Sami, EJ, Stefano, Kate, Lexie, Will, Judge Fitzpatrick, Roman, Rafe)

http://www.jason47.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Holy crap. What is wrong with the people who run this show?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Wow.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

lysie
Aug 23 2010, 09:05 PM
If it has to be spelled out for you, I'm highly disappointed in you. :toetap:

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

wouldn't it be fitting if IT became the lowest rated for the week? lmfao!

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 23 2010, 09:10 PM
lysie
It definitely doesn't need to be. But let's all take a minute to realize that that's fewer than one minute per scene.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

lysie
Aug 23 2010, 10:08 PM
Matt
lysie
It definitely doesn't need to be. But let's all take a minute to realize that that's fewer than one minute per scene.
It was just a few weeks ago I think we were joking about how short some of the scenes were (and joking how some were less than a minute). I didn't think TPTB that read this board would take that discussion as a challenge. :blink:

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 23 2010, 10:11 PM
lysie
Matt

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
It was just a few weeks ago I think we were joking about how short some of the scenes were (and joking how some were less than a minute). I didn't think TPTB that read this board would take that discussion as a challenge. :blink:
Me either. First the coral peasant dress, and now this? They're going to give Melanie bigger teeth. It's going to happen.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Wow. Thanks for posting Jason! :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

What's funny is we have been getting longer scenes at times in recent episodes. I don't see this as a big deal. There were some decent length scenes in the first half of the show. It was really the second half where there was alot of short scenes and alot of that was because of all the shifting from scene to scene during the setup to the mystery as to who switched the paternity tests.

I just wouldn't make it a habit to do something like that but I don't think they will.

SlyestFox
Member Avatar

lysie
Matt
lysie
Okay, in fairness, this is out of context. Because of the nature of the whole "Who switched the paternity results?" thing, there was a need to be quickly cutting between various characters. A few seconds on Daniel, then a few seconds on Philip, then a few seconds on Melanie, then a few seconds on Chloe, then a few seconds on Carly. That adds up.

jane1978

Matt
lysie
Matt

Well, when I was doing a screenwriting course two years ago we had a lector who recently studied in USA and she said we should never write a scene longer than 3 pages (approx. 2 minutes) unless itīs absolutely needed and there should be only few of them in our script. Generally, we was tought to donīt make scenes longer than 1,5 pages, and even then try to alternate them with some 0,5 to 1 pages, which is really just few lines, otherwise the viewers get bored and stop paying attention. She told us nothing is more boring for viewers than two people talking (she called it talking heads), so especially when our script isnīt action packed and there is a lowbudget, we have to make the scenes as short as possible and cut between them a lot and try to find some way how to dynamize it (mainly never let the characters just sit and talk).

Maybe itīs a little extreme, but DAYS is obviously just following a trend you can see everywhere.

Edited by jane1978, Aug 24 2010, 09:24 AM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

jane1978
Aug 24 2010, 09:23 AM
Matt
lysie

Well, when I was doing a screenwriting course two years ago we had a lector who recently studied in USA and she said we should never write a scene longer than 3 pages (approx. 2 minutes) unless itīs absolutely needed and there should be only few of them in our script. Generally, we was tought to donīt make scenes longer than 1,5 pages, and even then try to alternate them with some 0,5 to 1 pages, which is really just few lines, otherwise the viewers get bored and stop paying attention. She told us nothing is more boring for viewers than two people talking (she called it talking heads), so especially when our script isnīt action packed and there is a lowbudget, we have to make the scenes as short as possible and cut between them a lot and try to find some way how to dynamize it (mainly never let the characters just sit and talk).

Maybe itīs a little extreme, but DAYS is obviously just following a trend you can see everywhere.

I'm not attacking you or anythig so don't take is as that but what that woman said is nothing but bullshit! Viewers get bored with people talking? I am so sick of everyone trying to pander to those fucking MTV trash viewers who's favorite movie is Transformers. Seriously, this is why soaps are in trouble. We want long character driven scenes. Not cheap and fast plot driven scenes.

This disgust me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Aug 24 2010, 10:25 AM
jane1978
Matt

I'm not attacking you or anythig so don't take is as that but what that woman said is nothing but bullshit! Viewers get bored with people talking? I am so sick of everyone trying to pander to those fucking MTV trash viewers who's favorite movie is Transformers. Seriously, this is why soaps are in trouble. We want long character driven scenes. Not cheap and fast plot driven scenes.

This disgust me.
Same here.

We've seen it on the boards for years though. People complain about "talking" scenes and complain about the things that used to make soaps great. Character interactions, relationship and character building scenes, etc.

I don't mind quick scenes but I do think there should be one or two longer scenes per episode and, recently, the show has been doing that regularly, at last it's seemed like it to me. I think that way there is a mix for everyone.

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Sindacco
]I'm not attacking you or anythig so don't take is as that but what that woman said is nothing but bullshit! Viewers get bored with people talking? I am so sick of everyone trying to pander to those fucking MTV trash viewers who's favorite movie is Transformers. Seriously, this is why soaps are in trouble. We want long character driven scenes. Not cheap and fast plot driven scenes.

This disgust me.
I would love it if there was some actual dialogue that amounted to anything. I'd much rather see characters talking about something of importance rather than never really laying things out on the table.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I didn't mind them switching it up so much if it was for the storyline. I don't want it to be a everyday thing but it wasn't that bad.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Halloween Family
Aug 24 2010, 11:42 AM
Sindacco
]I'm not attacking you or anythig so don't take is as that but what that woman said is nothing but bullshit! Viewers get bored with people talking? I am so sick of everyone trying to pander to those fucking MTV trash viewers who's favorite movie is Transformers. Seriously, this is why soaps are in trouble. We want long character driven scenes. Not cheap and fast plot driven scenes.

This disgust me.
I would love it if there was some actual dialogue that amounted to anything. I'd much rather see characters talking about something of importance rather than never really laying things out on the table.
Or repeating the same dialogue over and over and over again. The words don't matter unless they are driving the story. With DAYS, the words often are used to stall the story.

jane1978

Sindacco
jane1978
Matt

This disgust me.
Iīm just repeating what the woman said and what is obviously the trend. It wasnīt a soap writing course, it was more tv movies/primetime shows thing, but thatīs what she expected from us and I actually see a lot of those things applied in a lot of current TV production, not just soaps. It doesnīt mean longer scenes are banned, just contrary, when you suddenly slow down and put some unusually long scene between short ones, it can work as attention grabber itself because it makes the viewer wonder why the sudden change of pace.

Personally, I love some early 90īs longer J/J scenes, but when I tried to watch some really old 70īs or early 80īs stuff on youtube and there are scenes which take 5+, even 7+ minutes Iīm not really able to force myself to watch it till the end. Itīs just too long, there is no drive, no clean purpose, itīs like everyday talk. So I think atleast partially she was right.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jane1978
Aug 24 2010, 01:01 PM
Sindacco
jane1978

This disgust me.
Iīm just repeating what the woman said and what is obviously the trend. It wasnīt a soap writing course, it was more tv movies/primetime shows thing, but thatīs what she expected from us and I actually see a lot of those things applied in a lot of current TV production, not just soaps. It doesnīt mean longer scenes are banned, just contrary, when you suddenly slow down and put some unusually long scene between short ones, it can work as attention grabber itself because it makes the viewer wonder why the sudden change of pace.

Personally, I love some early 90īs longer J/J scenes, but when I tried to watch some really old 70īs or early 80īs stuff on youtube and there are scenes which take 5+, even 7+ minutes Iīm not really able to force myself to watch it till the end. Itīs just too long, there is no drive, no clean purpose, itīs like everyday talk. So I think atleast partially she was right.
It's those 5-7 minute scenes on those old 60s/70s/80s eps on youtube that I love! It's much more theatrical. Back in the old days, soaps (as a primarily New York institution) were much like a recorded stage production (which made sense since so many performers were stage performers). For many years, it was widely accepted that soap operas helped keep Broadway going because theater actors would take soap roles in between stage productions in order to pay the bills.

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 24 2010, 01:18 PM
jane1978
Aug 24 2010, 01:01 PM
Sindacco

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepwant long character driven scenes. Not cheap and fast plot driven scenes.

This disgust me.

It's those 5-7 minute scenes on those old 60s/70s/80s eps on youtube that I love! It's much more theatrical. Back in the old days, soaps (as a primarily New York institution) were much like a recorded stage production (which made sense since so many performers were stage performers). For many years, it was widely accepted that soap operas helped keep Broadway going because theater actors would take soap roles in between stage productions in order to pay the bills.
I generally prefer longer scenes, too. Obviously, that depends on the situation, though. There was an EJAMI scene not too long ago that I felt like lasted an eternity. The dialogue was stupid, and nothing was happening. But when a scene is good, and there's movement, and the dialogue and the acting are just there...don't cut it off at twenty seconds! That totally ruins the moment, IMO. As for the scenes from the 70s, 80s or whenever, I think sometimes those are hard to sit through now because obviously on youtube they're not in context.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply