Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Bay: September Discussion
Topic Started: Sep 15 2010, 03:27 PM (2,700 Views)
Kriss4

SlyestFox
Sep 15 2010, 09:01 PM
I wasn't very impressed. I think from all the hype I'd heard, I expected it to be better. As others have noted, the theme song is terrible. Also terrible is the actor playing the younger son. I didn't realize he was supposed to be drunk or high until Sara called him out on it, and it seemed like a random conclusion to jump to. I also didn't like the performance of African-American girl who, I presume, is a jilted ex-girlfriend of the younger son's. Her running away crying was quite cheesey.

I liked Jade Harlow a lot on Passions. She was the best Jessica and she was never given enough to do, so I'm glad she seems to have an interesting role here, and I thought her performance was fine from what we saw of it. The older son seems the strongest actor of the people whom I wasn't already familiar with, and he's definitely the most interesting character - which isn't saying too much. Honestly, I'm concerned this show's going to be spread too thin. Obviously they don't have a lot of time for these episodes, so I wonder if they need quite this many characters.

I haven't seen the confessions thing. Can someone give a very brief run-down on how these people are connected. I know the two guys and Martha Madison are Sara's children, and obviously their significant others were made clear. How is Tristan Rogers connected, is he Martha Madison's father? And what about John Callahan and Sandra Ferguson?
The confessions helped me know who the characters were and what their issues were, and tonight when I was watching the premiere, I realized exactly how helpful they were.

The sound needs some work, though. When I was trying to hear what the characters were saying, every once in awhile I had some trouble.

I don't watch any other web soaps so I don't know how this one stacks up against others.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Silversprings
Member Avatar

I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the first episode !!!!
I thought it was a pretty solid first episode, not spectacular, but not horrid either.
I liked how it built up towards the drama at the end of the episode when Sara grabs a hold of Pete and drags him towards her and eyeballs him (loved that, I have wanted to do that to my teenage nephew many a time LOLOL).
I enjoyed the scene between Marly and Sara and I also liked how there was no filler to wade through.
I liked the theme song, it reminds me of the theme songs to some of the Australian soaps, so it was sorta familar sounding to me.
What I didnt like is how short the episode was, I was just getting into it and bam, it was all over redrover, its gonna take a bit of getting used to, and it makes it harder to stay interested from week to week with so little actual screen time.
But I am looking forward to the next episode.

Posted Image
Edited by Silversprings, Sep 16 2010, 05:12 AM.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

I'm an associate producer on THE BAY so I'm totally biased but I thought it was pretty good. There are a few points I will make that I think people touched on and hoping to get some feedback.

1) The sound. I sort of take partial responsibility for this one. My advice to the show was to set a premiere date and stick to it. They set Sept. 15 based on all the information they had at the time and thought that was safe. After that set a release schedule (once a week, every two weeks, three times a week, whatever) and stick to it. Several of these indie shows have hyped things up only to miss their deadlines and look really bad. That turns some viewers off. I feel strongly soap fans like habit and routine and want to know when to tune in. Some web series you never know when a new episode will happen, could be months. From my understanding the sound will greatly improve but the first episode was released per the timeline set. The show could have missed that deadline and perfected the sound. I believe eventually the first webisode will get re-edited and re-uploaded when there's time with better sound and, yes, Matt Ashford's name spelled right in the credits.

I'm curious from you guys, am I right about the consistency thing, and sticking to dates you set, especially with web shows? Are you much more likely to watch a web soap if it comes on every Monday at 7 versus having to keep track of when it will be on? Or if it's a show you like, you don't care about a certain timeslot and a random schedule is fine. You're willing to go the extra mile to find it. I'd love to validate my assumption. Also, would you have preferred THE BAY wait a week or two (not sure how long exactly but let's randomly guess a week or two) and perfected the sound and just announced on Sept. 15 there would be a delay. Or would you want it to just be released on the date they set with a few warts, but mostly top notch, especially the aesthetics. I thought the show looked BEAUTIFUL and was edited well. Everyone did a great job with that.

2) The theme song. Due to a death in my family I had to miss THE BAY screening so I watched on Wednesday the same as most every else. My very first impression after one listen was that it sounded like poor man's PASSIONS or maybe something VENICE would play (not that it's a bad thing just different tones on different shows). I didn't love it or think it fit the show that we billed as a being in the vein of DYNASTY. I don't think I have any influence in this area but gave my feedback. I do think it will grow on me in time if I listen several more times. I'm not sure if this was meant to be the permanent theme or not. If I was a fan, I would make that assumption. Apologies if anyone from the show reads this and feels I'm dissing the song. Not my intent at all. I just wasn't sure it matched the show as I envisioned. Maybe it will match the final product.

3) The length of the episodes. I think this is pretty standard for most web series (ANACOSTIA is a notable web soap exception and VENICE promised to be long this year). Each "Chapter" will be four webisodes. The Chapters are the 30 minute TV version. For the web they are divided up into these four smaller segments. Some video distributors don't allow shows over 10 minutes and that may be one reason why this "standard" has sort of developed for web series. I've recommended to the many indie soap producers who have talked to me to not divide up a bigger script like that or take an indie film and just break it down into 7 minute webisodes because it tends to not work. Each webisode really needs a beginning, middle and end within the confines of the overall story. And some type of cliffhanger to make people want to watch the next one. I think the way THE BAY is divided is pretty good, but when you see the end of the Chapters it will probably feel more like the ending of a primetime weekly soap or a Friday cliffhanger on daytime. Again, under 10 minute episode may just be the industry standard at this point or maybe it makes it easier to get the show edited together on a smaller budget. You can edit a webisode at a time and release it versus the Chapter. I think THE BAY did revisit this as they produced the first episodes to try to achieve that feel as much as possible within the confines of knowing they were also shooting a 30 minute TV show.

Knowing what's coming, I encourage everyone to at least watch a couple more episodes. I know you only get one chance to make a first impression, but maybe wait until the end of the first Chapter to decide. It's free! And sadly, after Friday, we'll have five hours less of a daytime soap to watch each week.

There are also a number of very interesting other indie soaps to check out this fall. I'm working on a indie soap fall preview guide right now. I think this new wave will draw more fans in to the genre on the web. Hope so at least as I have a few other shows of my own in the works.

I wrote a little bit more here http://www.welovesoaps.net/2010/09/some-objective-first-thoughts-on-bay.html

but figured I had gone on long enough here. :)
Edited by RogerNewcomb, Sep 16 2010, 07:53 AM.

Ellie

^^ Thanks so much for adding that info here!

As to the consistency, I'd say YES, you're right. I couldn't agree more. I'd even extend it to most primetime TV viewers, not only soap viewers. I think if the shows aren't released on a schedule, people do lose interest and forget which episode they're caught up with. Also, the only way to create "water cooler moments" (or these days, "twitter feed moments") is to have everyone watching something at the same time. If there is no schedule, then people just begin randomly checking the website for new episodes, and that community element is lost.

The theme song... my own opinion is that theme songs are kind of out-of-date at this point. I think you should just gain the extra time for the show, put the logo over the first few frames, and run credits over the last scene (when needed). jmo though!

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

Not that this will happen or is even being considered, but did you guys like the theme song used on the "Confessions of the Garretts" previews better? I thought that one really set an interesting and mysterious tone. Of course, I've been complaining that TV shows don't have lyrical theme songs any more and as soon as The Bay gets one I want something else. :)

esp13
Member Avatar

I agree about the consistency in releasing episodes. I have enough hooks into The Bay that I'd find out when an episode was released regardless, but I think it just gives people a better feel when there is a consistent schedule. And despite the sound issues, I think you made the right call on the premier episode. The Bay has generated a decent amount of buzz and a lot of that would have been lost if we suddenly found out the premier was delayed.

The theme song didn't bother me, I just liked the one they used for the Confessions videos better.

I think we'd all love to see longer episodes, but understand that it's not necessarily possible right now. I'm hoping that people understand that this is a new medium and a new process, not just a new show. So, not everything is going to be 100% perfect from the start. But, I think there is a good story there and good actors involved, and that's more than enough to keep me watching.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

esp13
Sep 16 2010, 09:17 AM
I think we'd all love to see longer episodes, but understand that it's not necessarily possible right now. I'm hoping that people understand that this is a new medium and a new process, not just a new show. So, not everything is going to be 100% perfect from the start. But, I think there is a good story there and good actors involved, and that's more than enough to keep me watching.
Great points. It is like the transition from radio to TV in many ways. TV was an experimental medium and no one knew if it would even last or people would sit in front of a TV set to watch something when they were used to just listening on the radio. Most of the early TV soaps were 15 minutes. Some of the indie soaps are that long, just not most. It's all about dollars though. I always say this - would love to see some of these producers get the daytime soap's budgets for a year to see what they could produce.

esp13
Member Avatar

I suppose there are a couple of ways of looking at it. If somebody is providing that much money (i.e. network budgets), then they are going to want a lot of control over the product. That can be a huge detriment to the creative process. One of the things I like about The Bay is that it's been clear so far (in the pre-premier interviews and buzz) that this is one person's creative vision. Without the pressure or expectations of network or production company bigwigs, there is an opportunity for the vision to be fully played out onscreen in a way that can be very difficult in a regular soap situation. At the same time, this new process and experiement has allowed the actors to collaborate with the writer/director/producer in a way that I don't think we've seen since the '80's. That puts a lot of wonderfully creative people in full control of the product.

I realize that limited funds imposes its own pressures and difficulties. But there is something inherently exciting about being in on the ground floor of something new. The enthusiasm that the actors and that Gregori has for this project is, quite frankly, contagious. I strongly believe that one of the reasons the fundraiser was successful was that several of the actors (most notably, Mary Beth and Matt Ashford) showed their support and enthusiasm and passed that onto their fans.

In any case, I guess what I am trying to say is that I knew going in that The Bay was not going to be "perfect" whatever that might mean. But it has a heart and a vision and an enthusiasm that makes me want it to succeed in every possible way. And, as I said above, between the Confessions and the premier, I think it has a solid story that has me wanting to know more. I'm not sure I can ask much more from any soap, network or independent.
Edited by esp13, Sep 16 2010, 10:38 AM.

HJBJDJ

Roger, it's funny you said the theme reminded you of Passions theme because that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it too. And I hated Passions so that wasn't a good thing. lol

I was thinking the time spent on the theme, about 1 minute, could have been used for the episode. With such short episodes every second counts.

I agree with you about sticking with the schedule. Honestly I really didn't notice anything off with the sound. I could hear everyone fine. I thought the picture looked great. I agree it would give a far worse impression to push off the first episode. I also agree with you that a set schedule it best. Especially when you are first trying to gain viewers attentions and draw them in, you want them to know where and when you can find new episodes, not send them on a scavenger hunt. And if you wait to long between episodes or to difficult to know when a new one will be up, viewers will forget, lose interest and fade away.
I thought it was pretty good for the first episode.

As some wondered before, I too wonder how they are going to juggle such a large cast with only 5 minute episodes. Seems like a lot of people and not much time to get to showcase them.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Watching it now ...

It feels ... rough. The dialogue leaves a lot to be desired (it's also quite cheesy) and the sound is horrible. Not a fan of the theme music. Some of the acting also leaves a lot to be desired. Not going to bash anyone though, as this is still clearly a work in progress and things I'm sure will improve!

Mary Beth Evans and Martha Madison were wonderful. Loved Sandra Ferguson and John Callahan. Tristan Rogers looks ill, was he sick while filming? Seems very tired. I'm kind of concerned. Dylan Bruce was OK, however a little too OTT. I was surprised to see Taylor Stanley! Wasn't she Remy on AW during it's last year? She was pretty natural in her scenes, I like her a lot.

Overall, not bad, again though, very rough but I enjoyed it and can't wait to keep watching more. The length of it could be a bit longer though. Why not a 15 minute webisode or is it actually a half hour episode that's been broken down into parts?

EDIT: Jade Harlow LOVE! Tanisha Lynn wasn't given much but she wasn't great. I was surprised. The actor playing Peter wasn't the greatest either but there's room for growth.

And I'm begging you ... PLEASE get different theme music. OMG. LOL. Passions had a better theme song for sure.
Edited by KMan101, Sep 16 2010, 10:09 PM.

Mason

I tried watching it, but I couldn't get through it. I think I'm just not a fan of web soaps in general, so I don't think it necessarily had so much to do with this particular one.

meaculpa

I got through it all, but nothing really grabbed me and made me want more. I really enjoyed MBE. Noone else really stood out for me.

The sound seemed ok.

The theme song did not. I never watched Passions and I still don't think this theme song fits.

I agree that meeting deadlines is paramount for all the reasons above. As a side note, Roger, this isn't meant as a personal thing at all because I LOVE that you've taken the time to come and interact with us here and hope you'll continue! But IMO it reflects poorly on the professionalism of the show to me when an executive from the show comes and asks us if we want quality or do we want it on time. From a professionally produced show I expect both, not either/or. JMHO.

In terms of timing, I don't mind the episode length at all but I would like to see less characters being focused on in one episode.

Overall, in all fairness I'll likely watch again to see if it's just that I need another episode to warm up to it.

RogerNewcomb
Member Avatar

meaculpa
Sep 17 2010, 08:13 AM
As a side note, Roger, this isn't meant as a personal thing at all because I LOVE that you've taken the time to come and interact with us here and hope you'll continue! But IMO it reflects poorly on the professionalism of the show to me when an executive from the show comes and asks us if we want quality or do we want it on time. From a professionally produced show I expect both, not either/or. JMHO.

I'm working on a couple of shows of my own which I will exec produce so as much knowledge as I can soak up the better. Thanks for the feedback!
Don't worry. I don't easily offend. LOL

I'm not an executive producer on THE BAY, I'm an associate producer, almost like a consultant in this case. I think while we're still in the experimental phase of figuring out what television will look like on the future, collecting as much feedback as possible is critical. That's why I've tried to be interactive to help understand what people are looking for. My question about consistency of scheduling was more of a general question for all indie soap producers, not really something specific for THE BAY. We get asked that type of question all the time and for my personal reference I wanted to get some feedback on that to not steer various producers the wrong way.

Thanks for checking it out. It will be interesting to see where THE BAY and all the dozens of other indie soaps go in the future. I think the thing I love most about these shows is that, for good or bad, we generally are seeing someone's vision for a story versus having network honchos and various PTB dictating story.
Edited by RogerNewcomb, Sep 17 2010, 09:43 AM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I think indie soaps are the future, at least for a while. I expect a soap resurgence down the road. I'd like to see cable networks get into the game, developing niche soaps to fit their network. There are a lot of possibilties.

lysie
Member Avatar

RogerNewcomb
Sep 16 2010, 09:09 AM
Not that this will happen or is even being considered, but did you guys like the theme song used on the "Confessions of the Garretts" previews better? I thought that one really set an interesting and mysterious tone. Of course, I've been complaining that TV shows don't have lyrical theme songs any more and as soon as The Bay gets one I want something else. :)
YES!

I agree that consistency is important. I think the show almost has to become a habit, and you can't form a habit if you're always having to track it down.

Silversprings
Member Avatar

RogerNewcomb
Sep 16 2010, 05:52 AM
I'm curious from you guys, am I right about the consistency thing, and sticking to dates you set, especially with web shows? Are you much more likely to watch a web soap if it comes on every Monday at 7 versus having to keep track of when it will be on? Or if it's a show you like, you don't care about a certain timeslot and a random schedule is fine. You're willing to go the extra mile to find it. I'd love to validate my assumption. Also, would you have preferred THE BAY wait a week or two (not sure how long exactly but let's randomly guess a week or two) and perfected the sound and just announced on Sept. 15 there would be a delay. Or would you want it to just be released on the date they set with a few warts, but mostly top notch, especially the aesthetics. I thought the show looked BEAUTIFUL and was edited well. Everyone did a great job with that.

I agree that it is much better to stick to promoted release dates with a few warts, rather than delay. I think fans would be more likely to overlook minor imperfections, but would be annoyed if the promoted release date was delayed, particulary at the last minitue, I know it would tick me off.

I think that releasing the webisodes on the same day & time every week is definitely the way to go as opposed to a random schedule. I think most soap viewers are creatures of habit & personally I just dont have the time or the motivation to go and hunt down episodes of a show I am not hooked on yet, maybe down the track I might.

I agree, the show did look BEAUTIFUL.

Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

Has there been another episode yet?
Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

The next episode will be up on this coming Wednesday. Gregori has posted a re-masted an re-edited version of the premier episodes at www.thebaytheseries.com. It's a little longer (I think), the sound is a bit better, and they incorporated some of the Confessions music into the scenes.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

I liked it except for the rushed Vivian breakdown scene and "Teenage drama" line as she ran out! They didn't ring true, the crying and fleeing or the "aunt's" reaction! Overall, I'm impressed! I think it looks good, I think the theme song is fine and I would probably follow a show like this in primetime! A lot of potential in that cast!

Gregori J. Martin

A heads up for today's episodes of THE BAY! Fans may remember her as the beloved and highly popular Lily Rivera Corinthos, the stepford wife of mob boss, Sonny Corinthos, who blew up in a car bomb explosion on ABC's GENERAL HOSPITAL nearly 15 years ago! This afternoon, actress Lilly Melgar returns to soapland in a new type of role! Check her out on THE BAY The Series, as the catty, sultry, and sometimes manipulative Janice Ramos, premiering this afternoon on the net - 3pm EST / 12pm PST! To tune in, go to: http://www.thebaytheseries.com/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Web Soaps Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply