Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Soaps.com chats with Galen Gering
Topic Started: Sep 21 2010, 02:01 PM (10,693 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Soaps.com recently sat down to chat with Days of Our Lives star Galen Gering, who plays FBI agent (and all-around good guy) Rafe Hernandez. Read on as Galen weighs in on the SAFE/EJAMI debate, the future of Rafe and Sami's relationship, whether his character really is all he appears to be, and much more!

Soaps.com: It's arguably the hottest debate in Daytime right now. SAFE versus EJAMI. Where do you stand on this one?

Galen: Well, I'm one of the characters who's vying for this girl, so clearly I feel she should be with me. [laughs] I think the reasons are pretty obvious. First and foremost, they love each other. EJ is like the worst possible guy in Rafe's opinion. You know, if Sami doesn't want to be with Rafe, then fine. Just please don't go with EJ! It's pretty clear-cut as far as the character goes. I think Rafe's opinion is that he has his best girl's interests in mind, in addition to the fact that he really cares about her and would do anything for her. I don't think he can say that as far as EJ is concerned. This guy has done so many horrible things over the years that, really, they're without redemption. The latest of them is kidnapping his own daughter and ultimately pretending that the daughter was dead. EJ puts Sami through hell and then says that he loves her? It doesn't really make sense.

Soaps.com: You mean that's not love? [laughs]

Galen: [laughs] Now obviously the fans can disagree on multiple levels! I think that's one of the things that obviously charges the storyline, the fact that people are divided. That's what writers, producers and directors of the show want, for people to be divided. Success!

Soaps.com: How is Rafe's relationship with Sami affecting his other relationships? For example, how is it impacting his relationship with Arianna?

Galen: Well the problem there is that EJ has befriended Arianna. It's almost moreso that Rafe is totally pissed off that this guy is trying to come between him and her in any way possible. What interest does EJ have in Arianna? Why is he helping her? The only reason to Rafe is that EJ is trying to get under Rafe's skin and is clearly succeeding. Additionally, Arianna doesn't feel like Rafe should be with a woman like Sami who already has four kids and clearly a significant amount of baggage trailing behind her. Everyone on set totally laughs at my character. Whenever my character gets a chance to leave, they're like, "Go! What are you doing? Get out of here while you still can!" It's pretty hilarious.

Soaps.com: How about Rafe's relationship with Sami's son, Will? Rafe recently called him out that he's the one who shot EJ.

Galen: Ultimately, Rafe is going to get the truth. He's going to take a little while but will figure out what's really going on. At this point, he considers Will to be the main suspect because he had motive and he doesn't have a strong alibi. Sami does have motive but also an alibi in that Rafe thinks she was with him all night. For now, this is the direction that Rafe's going. Really, it's not about trying to persecute or prosecute Will. It's about protecting Will and protecting their family.

Soaps.com: That's an interesting viewpoint.

Galen: Yeah, there's a little twist and turn there as far as that goes. Clearly, this is all sort of new territory for Rafe because he's this stand-up guy who always follows the book. Now, we're going to start seeing him change course a little bit on that. It's kind of cool.

Soaps.com: While visiting EJ at the hospital, Arianna mentioned to him that she felt EJ and Rafe are quite alike. Do you agree with this statement?

Galen Gering (Aussenard)Galen: I would agree as the actor. I don't think that Rafe would ever agree. Obviously, I don't think EJ would ever agree to that, either. Truth be told, to a certain degree, there are obvious similarities. They're stubborn and they're both in love with the same woman. That is, if EJ is even in love with Sami. To EJ, it may not even be love at all. As far as Rafe is concerned, EJ has got such a huge ego. Just the fact that Sami is in love with someone else, well, EJ is all about the chase. What other similarities might they have? They're certainly protective, and obviously good looking. [laughs]

Soaps.com: [laughs]

Galen: And tall! [laughs]

Soaps.com: Looking ahead, what do you think the future holds for Sami and Rafe should Rafe find out that Sami is the one who shot EJ?

Galen: I would think that Rafe would try to protect Sami, no matter what. It's subjective. In other words, who Sami shot and how it went down would change Rafe's opinion. Had she shot Rafe's sister, or an innocent citizen in Salem, Rafe's reaction could potentially be different than I think it will be in this situation.

Soaps.com: I was just perusing the Soaps.com message boards to see what the viewers have been saying about Rafe. Those who support him seem to love his "good guy" character; he's a stand-up, by-the-book dude. There's also a group of viewers, though, who argue that Rafe may not be as good a guy as he's cracked up to be. We really don't know much about the character's background. As the actor who plays Rafe, what's your take on this?

Galen: That's a great question. Having not been given the true backstory, I can only make a hypothetical argument. When I was first brought on as Rafe, I was to be married to my fiancée but my sister was involved in a car crash with her. My fiancée died. There was also a rumor that my fiancée had been involved in drugs and that I actually met her while I was working in some sort of law enforcement or drug enforcement. We fell in love, but she actually got involved with drugs again and was going down the wrong path at the time we were about to be married. Then she's killed in this car accident with my sister and there were details surrounding that accident that were fishy, to say the least. I supposedly covered them up.

Soaps.com: Exactly what does this mean?

Galen: It's totally open for interpretation. Was I covering up to protect my sister? Did I have something to do with the crash? Could I have even aided and abetted the murder? There's a lot of areas you could go. I thought when I first came on the show that the writers were sort of going down this road but they went away from it. I found it really interesting, as an actor and a character, all this crazy backstory. It makes people think weird stuff and freak out. It also kind of makes you dangerous, which is kind of fun as an actor.

Soaps.com: So the jury is out on Rafe Hernandez?

Galen: I don't know. It totally remains to be seen what the truth is there. I would certainly think that there's more to Rafe, potentially, than meets the eye. Time will be the only thing to tell us the truth on that!

- Mario Rocchetta

Soaps.com

Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

that's a great interview! Tell it like you see it, Galen! and I bet he smiled and laughed all the way through that.
Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

He sounds like a nice guy..I just don't like his character.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

I just love this guy. He has such a sense of humor about everything and an honesty that isn't arrogant! Very down to earth and sounds like he is enjoying himself!

Thanks for posting!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

He is a nice guy from what I've seen. And a funny guy, laid back. and a brat. lol.

Goto Top

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Quote:

Soaps.com: It's arguably the hottest debate in Daytime right now. SAFE versus EJAMI. Where do you stand on this one?

ROFL. It's so hot the ratings are on fire! Oh, wait . . . .

Quote:

EJ puts Sami through hell and then says that he loves her? It doesn't really make sense.

I hear you, Galen.

Quote:

Soaps.com: You mean that's not love? [laughs]

Galen: [laughs] Now obviously the fans can disagree on multiple levels! I think that's one of the things that obviously charges the storyline, the fact that people are divided. That's what writers, producers and directors of the show want, for people to be divided. Success!

I still don't get this theory. As I've said before, bones being thrown constantly simply makes people emotionally divest themselves and turn off the TV. Particularly in this case, when the non-triangle is frontburner and for those like me, not one's cup of tea.

Quote:

Additionally, Arianna doesn't feel like Rafe should be with a woman like Sami who already has four kids and clearly a significant amount of baggage trailing behind her. Everyone on set totally laughs at my character. Whenever my character gets a chance to leave, they're like, "Go! What are you doing? Get out of here while you still can!" It's pretty hilarious.

ROFL! Oh, Galen, I wish I liked your character because I sure do like YOU.

Soaps.com: While visiting EJ at the hospital, Arianna mentioned to him that she felt EJ and Rafe are quite
Quote:

alike. Do you agree with this statement?

Galen Gering (Aussenard)Galen: I would agree as the actor. I don't think that Rafe would ever agree. Obviously, I don't think EJ would ever agree to that, either. Truth be told, to a certain degree, there are obvious similarities. They're stubborn and they're both in love with the same woman. That is, if EJ is even in love with Sami. To EJ, it may not even be love at all. As far as Rafe is concerned, EJ has got such a huge ego. Just the fact that Sami is in love with someone else, well, EJ is all about the chase. [laughs]

Again, Galen on point IMO.

Thanks for posting!
Offline Profile Goto Top

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

He;s a nice guy and I love that Rafe is so anti Ejami and anti Ej. Rafe clearly does not like him. That's what makes him so likeable. Galen is a nice guy. That's absolutely clear by more then just this article. Rafe is your good guy, the one that should win. Ej is the evil villian, the one that always could and should lose.
Offline Profile Goto Top

VetsRock
Member Avatar

:blah: :blah: :blah:
Offline Profile Goto Top

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

EJ does always treat Sami like the prize in a game, to me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mayholidays

crookedhalo
Sep 21 2010, 03:20 PM
EJ does always treat Sami like the prize in a game, to me.
The Booby prize maybe :P :lol:
Offline Profile Goto Top

LucasHortonFan

post edited to add apology to vetsrock bc I thought you were talking about my Ej tirade. Sorry about that! Sometimes its hard to tell whom a poster is addressing on the net.
Edited by LucasHortonFan, Sep 21 2010, 04:37 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

^ I think Vets Rock was talking about the interview, not you.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LucasHortonFan

ok, then I need to edit my post. As I said, I couldn't tell. Thanks for clarifying that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mirabella

Thanks for posting that interview. Galen's interviews are always direct, down to earth and no hint of arrogance....just a great sense of humor and charming wit.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

I'm sorry. I don't get making Rafe turn away from his principles to protect Sami and Will. It damages the character. Its one thing if your love one is suspected of murder and you believe they're innocent and fight to protect. Its another if you know your love one murdered someone and you don't care.

I can't see Roman, John, or Bo ever just letting their wives get away with clear cut attempted murder. There's no excuse of the devil or drugs on this one. As much as the men loved their wives and would stand by them, they would eventually arrest them.

It damages Rafe's character if they make him that way. How can you ever be a good law-abiding good guy again if they let this happen.
Edited by Aliaron, Sep 21 2010, 04:53 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Aliaron
Sep 21 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm sorry. I don't get making Rafe turn away from his principles to protect Sami and Will. It damages the character. Its one thing if your love one is suspected of murder and you believe they're innocent and fight to protect. Its another if you know your love one murdered someone and you don't care.

I can't see Roman, John, or Bo ever just letting their wives get away with clear cut attempted murder. There's no excuse of the devil or drugs on this one. As much as the men loved their wives and would stand by them, they would eventually arrest them.

It damages Rafe's character if they make him that way. How can you ever be a good law-abiding good guy again if they let this happen.
I think that's part of what's behind this:

Quote:

Whenever my character gets a chance to leave, they're like, "Go! What are you doing? Get out of here while you still can!"
Goto Top

NyCsBaDdEsT
Member Avatar
Sami who?

Great interview! That's why I love Galen!
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

That was actually a good interview. I like how he's brought out the online debates and justifications.
Offline Profile Goto Top

VetsRock
Member Avatar

CaseyLovesDays
Sep 21 2010, 04:34 PM
^ I think Vets Rock was talking about the interview, not you.
You are right!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

CapeSafe

Always love Galen's interviews..... It is time to make Rafe a little less than perfect...(although that man has MANY perfect features :wub: )
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic