Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Denver newspaper reports OLTL will soon be renewed
Topic Started: Sep 26 2010, 06:53 PM (1,459 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

Didn't see this posted anywhere...

Denver Post: “OLTL soon to announce deal to live for two more years”

This weekend The Denver Post’s, Joanne Ostrow has an article about the state of daytime titled: It’s a New Dawn for Daytime as Sun Sets on Oprah, 2 Soaps.” In it, she discusses the current cost-cutting measures soaps and other daytime programming are going through to endure, and how As the World Turns and Guiding Light recently faded to black.

However, there was one very interesting quote that Ostrow reported: “ABC owns its soaps, unlike the CBS relationship with P&G. ABC’s One Life to Live is soon to announce a deal to live two more years.”

Ostroff also interviewed TV Guide’s Michael Logan, who offered up this interesting comparison in how networks and advertisers view the soaps, when in fact even soaps are higher in ratings then some Emmy Award winning primetime television dramas. Logan stated, “Mad Men, draws some 2 million viewers a week on AMC while As the World Turns was canceled with 2.5 million watching five days a week.”
The Post goes on to say, “The industry is in flux, scrambling for new economic models, determined to find less expensive ways to draw audiences. Network executives don’t talk about creating mass hits; they talk about efficiently filling airtime.”

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/denver-post-oltl-soon-to-announce-deal-to-live-for-two-more-years/2010/09/26/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

That's great news for them. Go OLTL! If they can somehow get Andrea Evans back, I will tune in again.
Edited by Casey, Sep 26 2010, 07:02 PM.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

I thought that since ABC owns their own soaps, they don't have to make 2-year deals and whatnot, they only have to announce when they're canceled??

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

This sounds weird because they have never announced stuff like this before, but if it's true than congrats to OLTL, hopefully they get rid of these damn Ford brothers.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I didnt think they needed to be "renewed" for exactly the reason that they're ABC owned and made. But meh, hopefully its true either way. Time for new writers though.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Great news!

KMan101
Member Avatar

I think CBS would have kept one of ATWT or GL if they owned them. It's likely why NBC has held onto Days for so long and why ABC is holding on to their soaps.

And I agree that a show that garners 1-2 million viewers a day is great considering the CW barely can manage 1 or 2 million a week for some of their shows.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Days isn't owned by NBC though..they have to pay a rental fee for it.

Dr. Chip

Somehow I doubt that a Denver newspaper would be the first to break a story like this.

lastDays
Member Avatar

I'm not buying it until abc makes an official announcemnt.The way oltl is right now it doesn't deserve to stay on the air

Mason
Member Avatar

lastDays
Sep 27 2010, 07:24 AM
I'm not buying it until abc makes an official announcemnt.The way oltl is right now it doesn't deserve to stay on the air
As if any of the other soaps deserved it any more...

Bremol
Member Avatar

Why would ABC, who owns their soaps, make a 'deal'? CBS has to deal with Sony and P&G who owns their soaps so if this was about a CBS soap, I might buy it.

I also agree that a Denver newspaper being the first to break something like this is unlikely.

I think it'd be better to just wait for official word from ABC before getting one's hopes up.

Tammy
Member Avatar

:blink: why would a Denver newspaper be reporting this? That is so... random lol

kserox10

This is 95% false because ABC doesn't have to sign a contract with the shows. THEY OWN IT.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Could it be the paper meant they were making a new two year deal with the current production team which is a sign the show is staying alive for two more years? As unlikely as it is that a Denver newspaper printed this story, what possible motive would the paper have to put out misinformation?

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Grandpa Hughes
Sep 28 2010, 01:39 PM
Could it be the paper meant they were making a new two year deal with the current production team which is a sign the show is staying alive for two more years? As unlikely as it is that a Denver newspaper printed this story, what possible motive would the paper have to put out misinformation?
Yep! I guess that was it!! :drunk:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply