Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hollyoaks Discussion
Topic Started: Oct 13 2010, 01:57 AM (35,383 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Grandpa Hughes
Apr 12 2014, 06:44 PM
Hulu can still be watched for free?
Yep. Hulu+ is the one that's paid and allows you to stream directly over your TV or phone/tablet with a greater available backlog of episodes
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Thanks Matt. I always seem to get navigated to Hulu+ and their free trial.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Ah, so after Googling, I realized my error. I needed to connect the HDMI cord from my CPU box (not the Desk top monitor as I mistakenly thought) to the back of the HDMI input on my TV. Of course the CPU box only has DVI inputs, which means I had to purchase a DVI to HDMI adapter. Yay! for me. Now, I can watch the show via the TV.

ETA: If I'm not mistaken Mobil devices/tablets can only get Hulu+.
Edited by badaddiction, Apr 13 2014, 07:04 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

OK, I've watched my first 8-9 episodes and this is what I've come away with:

- It take it the Core family is the McQueen family

- Carmel is likeable, but very selfish when it comes to Kathleen Angel. I'm still trying to figure out if she truly loves her(current) husband or if it's a case of settling.

- I can't remember Kathleen Angel's mother's name, but she's kind of warped. Pretending to be Texas.

- I like the no nonsense of the Matriarch, Nan (name?).

- I love and hate the family group think of protecting a member of the family, no matter the crime.

- My favorite, so far of the cast of characters, is John Paul (JP). There is something so sweet and gentle, yet strong about him. I would love if this actor play Will Horton on Days... It's been an incredibly long time since a Soap made my heart break for a character and his rape and immediate reaction/actions did just that. I was sitting in my chair watching with tears rolling down my face.

- Speaking of the rape, I really don't know what to say about Finn. He's so young but seems to have a lot of deep seeded issues. He's so angry and seemingly has an inferiority complex re to girls. Is he targeting John Paul because he feels inferior to everyone else in relation to feeling like a (young) man, especially his best friend? Does he feel that JP sexuality automatically make him less than a man, thereby making him more of a man? I'm not writing the character off at this point. I'll have to see where the rest of the episodes (about 49) take me.

- Frankie/Jack & their family I also like. Of course, I'm still learning the dynamics. So, I have no truly definitive opinion on the individual characters, yet.

- I'm not quite sure I like Ste, at this point. It could be the character or the actors (arched?) eyebrows. LOL. Just joking about the eyebrows playing a part in my decision. I'm going to hold off until I see more of the character. But what I did gather is that JP slept with his father, who is married to the Police Officer. Is that correct? Speaking of her, I liked the way she handled JP during the aftermath of his rape and subsequent reporting of the crime.

- The one character that made my eyes pop is Sonny Valentine. What an absolutely gorgeous man. The actor looks very much like some American actor that I know of, but at this moment can not remember who for the life of me.

________

Sorry for not mentioning some of the referenced characters by name, I'm still learning who's who.

All in all, I very much intend to keep this show on my must watch list.

I am very much going to go unspoiled for this show. It's very much worth it, based on what I've seen so far. The only time I read spoilers is when I'm not happy with a show.

Edited by badaddiction, Apr 16 2014, 12:16 PM.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Taking a guess for Fraser's murderer, my speculative mind is landing on Diane. I think there was a reason she was went crazy on Trevor. She's been a horrible, violent mother from the very beginning and I hope the bitch gets her comeuppance. Though I still stan for Brookie star Alex Fletcher, in case there was any doubt.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

So-I am now to the point where JP has been sentenced...

The verdict is in and Finn is absolute scum.

As for the rest of the characters - I really appreciate that they are complex and three dimensional. Even the villians are shown to be human and not mustache twirling one dimensional people.

I do have one question - does Maxine not have family living in Hollyoaks?

On the whole I'm happy to have given this soap my viewership- but in doing so, I really see the shortcomings of our US soaps. I really see the lack of respect for the audience's collective intelligence the US Producers, Writers, and general TPTB have for us as Soap viewers.
Edited by badaddiction, Apr 29 2014, 11:22 AM.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Maxine was introduced as the sister of the very popular character Ann 'Mitzeee' Minniver, who was on the show from 2010-13. The actress who played Mitzeee, Rachel Shenton, left to pursue Hollywood and has just been announced as being cast on Switched at Birth, the ABC Family show.

Mitzeee and Nancy were very close friends, though.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

Damn it, this show had me crying again. Sinead's heartbreak and suicidal state over the death of Katy was so sad. I honestly, wasn't sure if she was guilty of harming her or not. But despite that, I could see she truly loved her child, and the loss of her devastating, so emotionally, I was on her side.

In relation to Ste, I really needed to see his steadfast belief and support of Sinead. It changed my opinion of the character. Up until then he seemed to be somewhat of an airhead. Making decision w/o being circumspect. I mean when he thought the first shipment of wine/drugs would settle everything with Fraser/Grace/Trevor, I rolled eyes and thought what a dunderhead... But as I said, his love and support of Sinead placed a different light on him.

OT - I was in the process of looking for info on the show and couldn't believe it when I read this show is considered a " teen" soap. My gawd, if the show and it's topic are considered "teen," I'd hate to see how they characterize and/or categorize our American soaps with their oh, so conservative topics and/or writing.

Question: does anyone know how often the episodes will be uploaded to Hulu. I tried to find the info, but to no avail.
Edited by badaddiction, Apr 30 2014, 02:10 PM.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

This week on Hollyoaks ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbK-UyEihjs

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

John Paul really is fresh out of prison. He looks amazing. The best he's looked since he returned.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Bright Eyes
Apr 29 2014, 11:04 AM
Maxine was introduced as the sister of the very popular character Ann 'Mitzeee' Minniver, who was on the show from 2010-13. The actress who played Mitzeee, Rachel Shenton, left to pursue Hollywood and has just been announced as being cast on Switched at Birth, the ABC Family show.

Mitzeee and Nancy were very close friends, though.
God, I miss her.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Did Ste end up selling the Deli?

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
May 19 2014, 11:14 PM
Did Ste end up selling the Deli?
Yes. The Savages now use that space for their business of random crap.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Sigh, dumb. He's got a successful legit business but throws it away to peddle drugs/whatever for Frazier again.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
May 20 2014, 09:26 AM
Sigh, dumb. He's got a successful legit business but throws it away to peddle drugs/whatever for Frazier again.
Not completely right. He is part owner of The Hutch. Plus, who the hell wants to be reminded of Doug? :blulaugh:

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Thank God this HIV lie wasn't dragged out. Of course, we're about to get another horrible lie (which I hate that I was accidentally spoiled on), which is just so stupid.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

whats this HIV about?

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
May 20 2014, 11:38 PM
whats this HIV about?
To get back at Lindsey for misdiagnosing Katy, which lead to her death, Sinead stabbed Lindsey with a needle already used on her and then lied that she was HIV positive.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Ugh. Sinead is hanging around this show like a bad stench. Why can't she do what everyone else who started when she did and move on?!

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
May 20 2014, 11:48 PM
Ugh. Sinead is hanging around this show like a bad stench. Why can't she do what everyone else who started when she did and move on?!
She needs to kill Freddie first.

Though I think she did kill Fraser so she could be gone soon enough. I can't see Steph Davis staying too much longer because she's apparently been working on an album.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply