Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EastEnders Discussion
Topic Started: Oct 13 2010, 01:57 AM (52,115 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

People only ever cared about Zainab. They should have axed the whole group when Nina left.

I'm still pissed we were subjected to a Bushra appearance!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Drew
May 20 2014, 11:42 PM
Bright Eyes
May 20 2014, 11:27 PM
Shick
May 20 2014, 11:22 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
May 19 2014, 11:51 AM
They seem to have no idea what to do with Sharon, which is strange given her history with the show and the community. DTC once said she was his favorite character, but he'll ultimately only focus on Stacey's return, Ronnie's villainous turn, and obviously Shirley.

Should they try to lure Ross Kemp back as Grant to do Sharongate in reverse? Should they bring on some of Sharon's biological siblings? I don't think they know where to go with her, so it feels like she's a dayplayer.

Shirley was the first character DTC created when he was hired by Kate Hardwood as story producer in 2005, so no wonder why he's pushing her and why she seems to be part of every fucking story.
What kills me is that since Shirley is a DTC favourite, you just know she'll win Phil over Sharon in the end. It would be insulting to me if Phil chose Shirley over Sharon given the history (among other things)
That doesn't bother me. Sharon and Phil should never be a long term couple. They had to put them together when she returned because it's a natural beat, but Sharon is too good for him and always was. Him and Shirley deserve each other.
I'd agree with this as well. Phil and Shirley are damaged, that's why they work so well when they're on. Sharon is Phil dating up, but it never lasts. It probably won't last this time. But I'm not sure he'll choose Shirley over her, more Sharon will leave him and he'll default to Shirley.

Phil and Sharon aren't the love story, it will always be Kathy. Everyone else, Shirley included, is filling a seat. If I were to compare it to Days, they're Lucas and Carrie.
In the original Sharon/Grant/Phil triangle (which is EastEnders definitive story of the 90's, really), Sharon only fell for Phil because she saw him as a nicer, calmer side of Grant. Sharon and Grant were the real love story. Up until this return, it was Phil who loved Sharon more than Sharon loved Phil. The sad thing is Sharon got over what feelings she had for Phil when she returned in 2001 and they had that brief reunification. Phil left her because he couldn't bear the fact that she couldn't have children (Denny was a miracle child for her). Sharon went on to have another big love story in the 00's with non-bio brother, Dennis. Phil hasn't had a love interest as big in years.

Sharon is a recurring theme in the Mitchell brothers lives. When Grant and Kathy fucked in the late 90's, Grant told Phil it was payback for Sharon (who had been off the show since 1995).

In the absence of Grant, they probably feel forced to have Phil and Sharon together. But they really work best as friends.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

In fact, during Sharon's first exit, Phil had become almost a non-entity to her by the end. She had fallen fully back in love with Grant, but couldn't go through with getting revenge on him after he humiliated her during the epic Sharongate reveal (which has been copied over and over again on the show, most notably with Stacey and Max during Christmas 2007). Sharon's plan was to get Grant to take her back (which he did) so she could humiliate him the same way he did to her in front of everyone in the Vic (she was planning to do that at their engagement party). She couldn't do it at the last minute because she realized she loved him more than that, but at the same time she knew she needed to leave because Grant was too dysfunctional for her.

I could understand them having Sharon get over what feelings she had left for Phil in the early 00's and needing to have them reunite to do that, but it's now strange why they ever bothered to have her and Phil together again, especially if it's to solidify Shirley and Phil somehow. Also, they totally wasted the reveal about Phil's part in Dennis' death (and this is the father of her only kid we're talking about and her last great love).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLvWSOI8zs

Tony Jordan was probably EastEnders best writer after the original creators. He was very instrumental during the Grant/Sharon/Phil story and reveal, wrote notably for Pat and Frank (including their epic wedding), created the entire Slater family in 2000, amount many other things. His episodes were always my favourite and he created so many big characters on the show.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

But how sad is it that Sonia and her silent daughter are the last links to the Fowler's? LOL.

Though, Rebecca is probably the most connected character on the show. She's part of the Fowler/Beales and the Jackson/Branning clans. A pretty significant character, if we're talking about ties and historical relevance. Her birth was also the first big involvement on the show for the Slater clan on the show when they arrived in 2000 and helped Sonia deliver her.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, May 21 2014, 02:09 AM.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Sharon gets attacked by potential 'Walford Stalker'

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/tv/soaps/news/eastenders-sharon-rickman-fight-life-473351.html

NOOOoooo :frownie: I hope she pulls through. Glad she'll be getting storyline though! Bright side to everything.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

She had a brush with a would-be attacker in the 80's as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8juLDwiSI4Q

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
May 21 2014, 02:01 AM
But how sad is it that Sonia and her silent daughter are the last links to the Fowler's? LOL.

Though, Rebecca is probably the most connected character on the show. She's part of the Fowler/Beales and the Jackson/Branning clans. A pretty significant character, if we're talking about ties and historical relevance. Her birth was also the first big involvement on the show for the Slater clan on the show when they arrived in 2000 and helped Sonia deliver her.
From the few bits we've seen of her, I really like Rebecca. She seems smart, likable, intuitive, soulful. The makings of a great character when she becomes older.
Edited by Bright Eyes, May 21 2014, 09:32 AM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

The Mick/Shirley twist is such a rip-off of the Kat/Zoe story, which is the show's definitive story of the 00's.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Eastenders wasn't the first to do it themselves.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

When Kat/Zoe was revealed, was that how it was revealed to everyone, including the audience, or just Zoe?
Edited by Bright Eyes, May 22 2014, 06:01 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I haven't seen today's yet, torrent hasn't posted. But as I understand it only Phil has realized this?

Kat/Zoe had a drunken argument leaving the Vic, Zoe was going to leave for Spain with Uncle Harry (her mother's molester / father), and the "You're not my mother" "YES I AM!!" moment was the first time it was revealed to the audience and character. It was obvious, with Kat's feelings toward Harry, but not confirmed till that moment. Then Zoe carried on for several months like a stupid brat - running away, coming home, running away ...
Edited by Drew, May 22 2014, 06:54 PM.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
May 22 2014, 06:51 PM
I haven't seen today's yet, torrent hasn't posted. But as I understand it only Phil has realized this?

Kat/Zoe had a drunken argument leaving the Vic, Zoe was going to leave for Spain with Uncle Harry (her mother's molester / father), and the "You're not my mother" "YES I AM!!" moment was the first time it was revealed to the audience and character. It was obvious, with Kat's feelings toward Harry, but not confirmed till that moment. Then Zoe carried on for several months like a stupid brat - running away, coming home, running away ...
Yes, only Phil knows. That's why it doesn't bother. The story has been significantly changed enough where it's not a carbon copy. We don't even know anything about the father, yet.

And you're dumb for still using torrents when you could be using UKSoapShare, where he usually posts the episode before 5:00 pm and you don't have to download it.
Edited by Bright Eyes, May 22 2014, 07:35 PM.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Kat/Zoe was revealed to the audience a few months before the now iconic reveal to Zoe. The first time it was confirmed to the audience was during Zoe's 16th birthday party, where Zoe treated Kat like shit. I think it was either to Lynne or Little Mo where a crying Kat first talked about Zoe being her daughter and how she was forced to hide it all those years. It was always hinted that all what it wasn't seemed between them when the Slater's first arrived too. Details about how Kat got knocked up were built on from there until the reveal to Zoe.

That was a great and very popular period for the show.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, May 23 2014, 01:53 AM.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Sharon and Shirley slinging insults on tonight's episode gave me LIFE. Sharon got the best digs in about Shirley basically being a bad mother.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Shick
May 22 2014, 09:37 PM
Sharon and Shirley slinging insults on tonight's episode gave me LIFE. Sharon got the best digs in about Shirley basically being a bad mother.
That's because Sharon is better than her in every way. An ounce of self respect for starters. #teamSharon
Edited by Bright Eyes, May 22 2014, 10:38 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Pill popping smothering Sharon doesn't have much room to talk. Case in point: Denny.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
May 23 2014, 01:41 AM
Pill popping smothering Sharon doesn't have much room to talk. Case in point: Denny.
Last time I checked she never tried to kill him. It's small things like that, I guess.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

She just does it quietly every day.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I'm watching in reverse, but I'm surprised they remembered that Stacey and Sharon know one another during that quick scene when Kat and Stacey were walking around the square.

In fact, it's hard to believe now, but Stacey was one of the most unpopular characters on the show when she first arrived. I remember how much the forums hated her and how she was labeled as both a Janine and Kat rip-off/younger interpretation. It was her unique, almost brother/sister relationship/friendship with Dennis Rickman that got people to start liking her, and this was propelled by the time they first introduced Jean to make her a more sympathetic character and explain why she was the way she was.

Sarah Phelps, who was one of the show's best writers deserves a lot of the credit for making Stacey as a character work after the rather brosk reception she initially got. In fact, it was Phelps who coined the now catchy "Stacey Slater, ice skater" line of dialogue...

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

They've de-Christmased the Vic. Finally!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply