Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EastEnders Discussion
Topic Started: Oct 13 2010, 01:57 AM (62,680 Views)
Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

This is brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_o6MRDsiY
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Bright Eyes
Feb 19 2015, 11:37 AM
I loved that. Thanks for posting it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

OMG!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

:( :(

UKDays
Member Avatar

Spoiler: click to toggle

I can't believe I'm typing this!!! :hail:
Edited by UKDays, Feb 19 2015, 06:04 PM.

Drew
Member Avatar

#audiblegasp

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

I wasn't expecting that reappearance at all. I was expecting the revelation though. And poor Dot!

Drew
Member Avatar

KATHY FUCKING BEALE IS ALIVE!!!!!!

oh yeah, and Bobby killed Lucy

Drew
Member Avatar

Soooooooo

Dean, possibly dead, has poured gas all over the Vic store room and the EE production team had an accidental fire due to "fireworks" after Tuesday's live scenes.

Looks like we may be getting a live stunt. :D

Drew
Member Avatar

Ded
Attached to this post:
Attachments: B_PZyzgIAAAzuYn.jpg (45.97 KB)

Drew
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Drew
Member Avatar

Definitely a highlight

Posted Image

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

My years as a lone Abi fan feel justified now.

CarlD2
Member Avatar

Before I forget it all I should give my comments on the main episode. I was a little disappointed, but my expectations were low enough that I'd say it worked. It was a very ambitious episode, far more than the 25th, and those ambitions succeeded.

The good:

- The gorgeous night shots of London. Absolutely stunning. They took my breath away.

- Even if it felt padded out, I liked everything with one person after another finding out about Dot letting Nick die. Clumsy or not, linking this to Ian realizing who killed Lucy made a great deal of sense. I liked that a few people in the room didn't want to go along with the coverup. I knew no matter how much they tried to protect her, Dot would make sure she paid the price - it's nice to see consistent characterization. I saw someone saying how bad June Brown was in the live scene in the squad car - it was pure ham, but also pure pathos - exactly what the scene called for. My favorite moment of the entire episode.

- Kat shoving that smug, passive-aggressive cow's face in the cake.

- Even if I am mostly going to complain about Phil in this episode, I'm still very happy they brought Kathy back. And she felt like Kathy to me, not Gillian Taylforth, which was a relief. God I got tired of Kathy after a while, but she never should have been killed off. It was, up to that point, the dumbest decision in the history of EE. EE is lucky as hell that unlike Pat and Pauline, this could be rectified. If they write this properly, instead of focusing on camp and posturing, then it could be wonderful. Harry Reid is a more than decent young actor, and Adam Woodyatt has recently given some of the best performances that I've seen from him in a very long time, so if the writing makes an effort, it can deliver. Don't screw this up, DTC!!!

- I thought the Who Killed Lucy stuff in this episode worked well enough, even if the ultimate resolution was silly and clear shock value. I didn't care who killed her, I still don't, but I do care about Ian, so the focus on him and his latest existential crisis lured me. Seeing them give Adam a chance to actually act was a nice surprise. I even liked that endless scene with Ian and constipated Mick. And Laurie Brett and Ben Hardy were also very good.

What was OK

- Stacey and Martin. I just don't see the chemistry, and it reminds me too much of Stacey/Bradley. I'm willing to give it a try, especially since they are taking the relationship slow and allowing Stacey to be uneasy about him.

- Kim giving birth. I like Kim, and Tameka and Diane were all too believable in playing the nasty things Denise said and Kim's refusal to forget or forgive, but I just didn't care about scenes of endless screaming. I realize the woman who plays Mo is rarely around, but I wish she'd been in the delivery scene with Sonia. I love Denise, but I will say that it's impossible for me to watch her in scenes with Patrick and watch Patrick trying to deal with her and not forget that she abused him. He does not have a believable reaction to someone he has every reason to fear hurting him again. More shock value writing, more lack of fallout.

- Sharon and Phil. It's obviously leading up to yet another vomiting up of the silly, silly idea that Sharon sees a fantasy Phil and Shirley sees the "real" Phil, but the scene still worked for Sharon's character and story. I just wish this relationship would end. Anyway, Letitia Dean has worked very hard to improve her acting after a poor return, and to me she's done a nice job of it in recent months.

The bad:

- Tanya and Max redux. Sniping in the cafe and grinding the episode to a halt. I guess their fans probably enjoyed this. Personally I thought it was totally pointless and felt like DTC patting himself on the back, even though he's the one who destroyed the relationship beyond repair for me in the first place (buried alive). I expect Max to be a bad father, but I often feel we're supposed to feel Tanya is a decent mother (why, I don't know). She's as self-absorbed and deluded as ever, gliding over the obvious mental illness of her daughter in favor of moping about how she thought she might have had a chance with Max or that he had changed (why would she think that...? The man would probably climb on top of Dot if she agreed). I'm glad she's gone again and I hope she doesn't come back.

- The Carters continuing to be the most isolated, sour, irrelevant family in Eastenders history. Say what you will about the likes of the Ferrias, but even they had more links to the Square.

Let's break it down:

- Dean returns to set fire to the pub with dozens of people inside

- Mick and Mick alone sees him (even though dozens of people could have) and wanders around looking for him while not groping a stranger or having a lengthy, constipated-looking chat with Ian about killing in the name of love.

- Dean takes Nancy hostage - only Mick reacts, as dozens of people continue to obliviously booze it up and listen to Kim wailing in the toilet

What is this? What If You Took A Hostage And Nobody Came? Why is DTC so terrified of blending his pet family into the canvas as a whole?

And how lame was that scene anyway? Did they have three minutes to go before filming shut down? Did they really have him return after 6 years away for that? This story has been a consistent failure in writing, acting, and most of all, message - yet another soap story that tells women if they are raped, coming forward will bring nothing but misery, and the law will never be on their side. Remember Kathy's rape story, when Eastenders actually cared about showing a woman bring her attacker to justice?

While I'm at it, why were Nancy and Linda meanmugging and sneering throughout everything with Sonia/Kat and Denise/Kim? None of those arguments were serious enough to warrant the involvement of the pub owners. I have no idea why this family consistently thinks they are so vastly superior to everyone around them.

And finally...last and least...

Phil and Shirley. There's a thing called "NOTP" which describes a pairing you absolutely hate. This one is high on my list. Once upon a time, I think Steve McFadden and Linda Henry had chemistry. I don't anymore. I haven't seen it in ages. The fallacy of Shirley knowing the "real" Phil and a few words in his ear from her forked tongue causing him to be a bad boy is just arrogant writing that is not backed up onscreen. Linda is a talented actress, but Shirley is a loser, and not the type like Pat was in her first few years on the Square, who knew what she was. Shirley thinks she's a victim, and worst of all, so does the writing. There's nothing worse than an unpleasant, unsympathetic character who is treated as a hero. They already have Phil for that. They don't need Phil in a frightwig.
Edited by CarlD2, Feb 19 2015, 09:54 PM.

CarlD2
Member Avatar

I will say I thought most of the flashback episode was decent. It was clumsily thrown together, but the use of music and atmosphere was effective. Lucy's long final conversation with Jane got to me. Hetti Bywater believably played a broken little girl - the first time I ever cared about Lucy...and sadly, the last.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

You are so right about Max and Tanya. Those horrible scenes were doing their damnedest to ruin the episode. And is it me or did Jo Joyner not emote at all? Either way, Tanya finally got to leave with some dignity, destroying that in seconds was extremely misogynistic one note bull.

Drew
Member Avatar

I'm so glad they didn't try to go with a cover up storyline.

Drew
Member Avatar

I also don't think another round of Shirley and Phil is on the horison. Maybe once but now that they've secured Gillian Taylforth we are definitely heading into a Phil/Sharon/Kathy redux.

Shirley will be occupied with Dean's status after tonight's episode.
Edited by Drew, Feb 20 2015, 02:39 PM.

Manny
Member Avatar

I can breathe easy.. it was not Jane after all.. I love Jane/Laurie Brett and I would hate to see her leave the show because she killed Lucy. I felt the same for Abi and Lauren.. I think I can say those three ladies are my favorite EE ladies (followed by Tanya and Stacey).. I am kinda "meh" about Bobby being a killer.. simply because I don't see how he could kill her.. with a jewelry box.. but okay.. it was a surprise, I guess..

I loved the hour long show. I thought they once again did a great job with the live elements.

Dot's story was good, although I was horrified that they would have 10 people protect Dot's secret.. that would NEVER happen nor it would EVER work.. someone would tell someone as soon as they left the house. It was a stupid plan. I am happy they didn't go down that route. Scenes in the car with Dot were a bit bad, but being that it was the only live Dot scene, I forgive them.

Kim stuff was great. I loved it. I love that they had a birth in a live show. Although my live stream died at the moment when she gave birth and the baby didn't start crying. Stream didn't turn back on until Kim was being taken out by paramedics. But it was interesting to watch Kim and Denise's dynamics.

Kat was annoying, but Kat is always annoying to me. I was happy that she wasn't featured that much.

That Dean guy.. I have no idea who he is, but I was bored by that part. All in all, I think their guest people (Dean, Tanya, Peggy) kinda fell flat. They just threw them in without much of a story prepared. It was just for the sake of having them there for the anniversary. Especially Dean and Peggy.

I will always love Tanya and Max, but even I wouldn't want them back together. I was a little bit upset that Tanya just left town without even seeing Lauren. Did she not even care to see her daughter?

The flashback episode was (I felt) a bit boring and dragging at moments. I felt like there shouldn't have been other stories in it (like Ronnie/Charlie stuff).. I thought the actress that played Lucy did a great job. Jane/Lucy moment was really nice and sad at same time. The ending was great when they went live again and revealed it was Bobby.

I am interested in seeing how it plays out tonight. Although, I wonder how this didn't leak before. Yes, they did it live, but they already taped next week's episodes! If they contain Ian/Jane scenes next week, they had to have talked about Bobby being the killer. They cannot have Jane/Ian, even Masood and Peter, Cindy and Bobby appear like nothing happened. Will they just not be appearing in the next few weeks? I wonder how they will deal with it...

CarlD2
Member Avatar

Manny
Feb 20 2015, 02:40 PM
That Dean guy.. I have no idea who he is, but I was bored by that part. All in all, I think their guest people (Dean, Tanya, Peggy) kinda fell flat. They just threw them in without much of a story prepared. It was just for the sake of having them there for the anniversary. Especially Dean and Peggy.
Dean wasn't there for the anniversary. He'd been around not long before. They were bringing him back, I guess, to wrap up his story. And unfortunately it was in as hamfisted and poorly acted a way as his entire return story had been.

Manny
Member Avatar

CarlD2
Feb 20 2015, 04:52 PM
Manny
Feb 20 2015, 02:40 PM
Dean wasn't there for the anniversary. He'd been around not long before. They were bringing him back, I guess, to wrap up his story. And unfortunately it was in as hamfisted and poorly acted a way as his entire return story had been.
Aaah, okay.. I thought I read somewhere that Dean was gone for years... so I assumed he just came back. But anyway, I was not really into that story...

I loooved tonight's live show! OMG! The Beale stuff was great! Adam W. was AMAZING! The scene were Cindy reads Lucy's letter to Ian was so heartbreaking and sad. I had chills and tears in my eyes. :(

And the ending with camera displaying all the prominent spots in Walford was really nice. Nice thing to do for an anniversary.

I gotta say, I like this ending to the storyline.. most of them decide to keep a secret, Bobby doesn't even know he did it. I'm sure police will investigate for a short while and then just close the case (like Ian said).. and then one day when Bobby grown up (or is SORASed) he will learn the truth and then it will create a whole new set of drama. Really good thing.

Great job tonight, excellent production, great effort by the cast.

I saw the show that came after tonight's episode "EastEnders Behind the Scenes" and the cast looks SO TIRED! haha This must have been exhausting for them! And the sexy Peter Beale is leaving? This was his last episode.. Wow, what a way for him to finish..

All in all, nice stuff. I don't know if I'll continue watching, cuz I can barely keep up with Emmerdale, let alone two soaps.. But I might watch here and there..

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply