Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days Episode Production Costs Provided In Article on Soaps
Topic Started: Oct 14 2010, 10:10 AM (3,676 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

The Christian Science Monitor did an article on the state of soaps today with the recent cancellations of GL and ATWT. It's pretty much the same old stuff except there was one bit of info that stuck out. The article gave the cost to produce an episode of Days and it includes a quote from Greg Meng, Executive in Charge of Production. So this figure looks to be legit.

Soap Operas: All Washed Up?

Quote:

And while NBC - which has only a single remaining soap opera, "Days of Our Lives" - cut the soap's budget in half two years ago, the team behind the show says it has ridden the reversal back to its creative roots. An episode which previously cost some $300,000 to produce now comes in for half that amount through cost-cutting measures. No more exotic locales, couture clothing, and extravagant set decorations, says Greg Meng, executive in charge of production for "Days of Our Lives." "We've gone back to delivering a good story, well told, with compelling characters without all those extras," he adds.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Good Story eh. I must be watching a whole different show.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I know everyone is going to be talking about how Meng said that Days is delivering good story and disagreeing with him. However, I knew Days was on a tight budget as it is definitely noticed with their sets but $150,000 is lower than I thought it cost to produce an episode. That's the reason why I think Days has a chance of sticking around for another couple of years even with their current low ratings.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Production is a big part of a soap opera.Who wants to see Stefano,EJ and Victor in K-Mart clothes? This also might explain why the hair and makeup on the actors leave alot to be desired

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Am I the only one that thinks $150,000 is alot for just one episode? I know it's cheap compared to the other soaps, but still :shrug:

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Sindacco
Oct 14 2010, 10:23 AM
Am I the only one that thinks $150,000 is alot for just one episode? I know it's cheap compared to the other soaps, but still :shrug:
No - I totally agree. But then, I know nothing about producing television shows. I suppose when you factor in the salaries of the writing team, directors, other crew, cast, etc. and add to that the cost of set design, clothing, extras, etc. it probably adds up quickly. But still...holy moly! No wonder it's tough to keep an hour long program that airs 5 days a week profitable.

Thanks for posting, DC :)

Kenny
Member Avatar

$150,000 per episode seems steep considering how shitty the show looks.

jane1978

Sindacco
Oct 14 2010, 10:23 AM
Well, I once read Corday Productions employs around 200 people. Itīs probably less now, but there are all the accountants, lawyers, assistents, cleaners, drivers, security, and other non-creative workers whose cost have to be included. And of course there is rent, electricity, equipment and technology costs (those cameras and full digital editoring systems arenīt cheap), repairs etc. on top of that. So when accounting all this the director has probably only few thousand of free money per week he can use for extras, sets, special effects or recurring actors.

TINA222
Member Avatar

Who wants to see the same damn sets all the time? That limits the storyline just as much as not having the money. The pier, the pub are tired. whatever. Pfffffffffffft.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Soaps are Daytime Advertisers. Why couldn't Days possibly make a deal with a clothing line to advertise their product but also be wearing the clothing. I could totally see something like this: Hope: Jenn, I like your new jack. Jenn: Thanks I got it at wherever.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Quote:

We've gone back to delivering a good story, well told, with compelling characters without all those extras,"

Good story? What's he smoking?

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 14 2010, 11:05 AM
Soaps are Daytime Advertisers. Why couldn't Days possibly make a deal with a clothing line to advertise their product but also be wearing the clothing. I could totally see something like this: Hope: Jenn, I like your new jack. Jenn: Thanks I got it at wherever.
It seems like I remember a bit of discussion like this a few weeks ago, but you make a good point. Rather than pimping frozen Chinese food or chicken wings it seems like it would be much more effective (and a better fit) to wear clothing from certain stores or designers, etc. and give credit. I believe they used to do that thing years ago. Hell...they could even do things like "appliances all provided by GE..." or something to that affect. "Cell phones provided by..."; "Laptops provided by..." I mean, honestly, if everyone in town is going to clearly use the same damned one maybe they should seek out a sponsor and make a little $$ on it.

Kenny
Member Avatar

The way they spin such shitty product is astounding to me.

"Good storytelling?"

"Compelling characters?"

Is Mr. Meng watching the same show I am? I could live with the terrible production values and the embarrassing lack of visual appeal if the writing was strong and the stories were entertaining, but Days fails on every level. To spin it any other way is just laughable.

TINA222
Member Avatar

Nighttime shows do that all the time. It seems like an easy solution.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I think it was Matt who brought that up in the weekly thread last week, that stores/designers used to provide clothing and would get a credit. I do think the idea he or someone mentioned about how they could cross-promote--go online to see what your favorite character was wearing and how to buy it--is really a very viable one. After all, KA and AZ (formerly, though she shut down her jewelry line) rely on their jewelry appearing on the show to help sell it. People obviously do see things they would like to own themselves and will seek it out, why not make it easy? However, even though I think that's a good idea, and I tolerate the product placements if only to snark at them, I still don't think that brings in much revenue.

I'm glad we finally got some hard if not detailed information on production costs. $150,000 x 5 x 52 = $39,000,000 annually. Of course, there are occasional pre-emptions due to Wimbledon and holidays so that 5 x 52 is slightly high, but not by much. Even knocking off ten shows from that figure takes you to $37,500,000.

So the next question is: how much advertising airtime do they sell per episode and what can they charge for it?

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

They probably need $100,000 just on security for Molly & Shelley to keep safe from that whacko.

Taelyn

dc cubs
Oct 14 2010, 10:10 AM
The Christian Science Monitor did an article on the state of soaps today with the recent cancellations of GL and ATWT. It's pretty much the same old stuff except there was one bit of info that stuck out. The article gave the cost to produce an episode of Days and it includes a quote from Greg Meng, Executive in Charge of Production. So this figure looks to be legit.

Soap Operas: All Washed Up?

Quote:

And while NBC - which has only a single remaining soap opera, "Days of Our Lives" - cut the soap's budget in half two years ago, the team behind the show says it has ridden the reversal back to its creative roots. An episode which previously cost some $300,000 to produce now comes in for half that amount through cost-cutting measures. No more exotic locales, couture clothing, and extravagant set decorations, says Greg Meng, executive in charge of production for "Days of Our Lives." "We've gone back to delivering a good story, well told, with compelling characters without all those extras," he adds.

This explains why EJ wore that grey suit and pink shirt for almost a year.
AND why none of the actors have gotten haircuts or styles.

Hey I can deal with some creative Goodwill costuming.. But atleast get a hair person .. they have plenty of beauty school grads who would love the job.

And as for good stories.. well I have not seen one of those for a long long time, probably around the time EJ or Phillip got highlights.
Edited by Taelyn, Oct 14 2010, 02:04 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sounds about right. I applaud the show for what they have done.

Good article

dooldooldool

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 14 2010, 11:05 AM
I agree. This is one of the most baffling things. Would it really be so hard to find a national retailer of some type that wouldn't be interested in some sort of deal. Maybe there is something in the NBC contract that forbids it? Wouldn't Kmart or Macys or Sears jump at the opportunity to have their logos on shopping bags being brought into the pub by characters who had been shopping? I know the Java Cafe set has been retired, but why wasn't it a Starbucks? Wouldn't Starbucks be interested in paying saying $10,000 a week to have their logos featured and characters mention the brand 10X a week? Or any coffee brand for that matter? Why doesn't Caroline feature Folgers or some other coffee? We just got a brand new gorgeous Safe loft. How hard would it have been to have Samanther say something like "Wow, Rafe, someone has been using the Macys card" when she was first walked into the place. The dreary Ari-Gabi debut visit to see "Rafe's new home" could have had some "Oh, wow, you got that new XXXX side-by-side fridge from Lowes".

There must be something we do not know about production/placement.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

Good story.....yeah.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply