Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Jordan's" identity revealed...
Topic Started: Oct 15 2010, 01:34 AM (5,937 Views)
Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 15 2010, 10:06 PM
Liz<3Days
Oct 15 2010, 09:43 PM
Oh, DAYS....where have you gone?
Check under the toilet seat.
I think its in Calcutta...maybe we can volunteer someone to go and look...JS? LOL
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Mason
Liz<3Days
That's so true. This show just blows chunks!

HJBJDJ

The writing team in 1991 totally changed Jack and Jennifer when they first got married and all the teams that have followed have kept the same pattern.

As soon as Jack and Jennifer married, they totally changed Jack. He was never obsessed with money, and obtaining money before then. He had money. He was rich, he was a millionaire. He liked to flaunt it, and spend it.

As soon as they got married, on the honeymoon all of a sudden Jack was terrified people would know he had money and he was cheap not wanting to go to an expensive resturant because it would not only cost a lot of money, but people would see that they had a lot of money. Yeah, Jack could be frugal before, and would check every coin return and hated to tip, but he also wasn't afraid to spend it or show off with it.

But all that was just for a storyline to make him insansely obsessed with money so he could lose it all. Someone thought poor penniless Jack would be funny.

Jennifer used to be adventurous in her own right. She used to be impulsive and jump into things before she knew what was going on or got all the facts. She wasn't above causing the messes too, not just Jack. Such as getting herself mixed up in the whole Katerina mess.

Once she got married, Jennifer was written as the perfect angel, who lost her brain, in that she fell for every line some guy gave her without question, starting with Howard and Hawk. She lost her inquisitive, reporter nature to get the to the bottom of things. She lost her spunk and it hasn't been found since.

Jack used to 'run' but when he did, he ran for Jennifer; because he thought it was for her own good. Before they were married, until he left in '93 he never ran away for some wild goose chase. He wasn't a dreamer, he was a pessemist. He'd run from her, because he felt Jennifer would be better off without him because of his past, so he wouldn't hurt her.. or as he would finally admit, so he wouldn't get hurt himself.

Sure after 20 years, he can't still be running away afraid of love, but it's unfair to say he was always running off chasing some foolish dream. Even in 1993 when he left, it was more in character. He felt Jennifer and Abby would be better off without him because his past has come back to hurt them. He ran off as a punishment to himself, that he didn't deserve to be happy. That was a theme of Jack's. He never felt worthy of being happy. And if he was happy, he was always afraid it was going to be taken away.

Jack used to be a tortured soul who used sarcasm as a shield and a few jokes to deflect his real feelings. Somewhere along the way, starting in 1991 that was taken way out of context and complex Jack Deveraux became Jack Tripper.

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

JANALH
Oct 15 2010, 10:07 PM
Mason
Liz<3Days
:laugh: :rockon:
Women are wrote crappy. Most men are written the same. And EJ and Stefano seem to be written as the undisbutable Kings Of Days. What do you expect, this show will blow chunks until this changes. If it doesn't then come Sept 2011, there will be no problem

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

This is the worst DAYS has been...probably ever.

The show is an unrecognizable pile of crap and the latest ratings (last in HH, last in viewers, down over 600,000 viewers from this time last year down .5 in HH (lol)...oh man) have only emphasized this fact.

TPTB are in a serious state of denial...how can they look at these latest numbers, compare them to last year and then sit there and still truly believe everything is fine and they are still on this big renaissance that they were being credited for last year....that was over a LONG time ago.

DAYS has just done what it always has....took one step forward, and now three steps back. Wash, rinse, repeat.

And this Melissa Reeves return is not going to make one difference at all in the ratings and certainly not with this crap story they are bringing her and Abby back for.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Oct 16 2010, 04:20 AM.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 15 2010, 08:54 PM
SlyestFox
Oct 15 2010, 07:59 PM
jane1978
Oct 15 2010, 06:59 PM
This is a big misunderstanding. Iīm all for J/J having a conflict. Iīm all for them separate, even move on with other people. But OMG do it with a respect to what they are and not try to constantly put down one half just because you want viewers to give a better chance to the newest interloper. Bo and Hope still love each other. They still have an utmost respect for each other. Yes, their marriage has failed and Bo is even in love with another woman, but he is not portrayed as the deadbeat husband and daddy who naive and stupid Jennifer is still in love with even when she would be much better with pretty much any man who comes along. Thatīs what makes me so angry. This is not different from Langan, itīs exactly the same. Heck, we could just copy and paste the scene where Julie encourages Jennifer to move on and it would fit in perfectly. No change needed.

And letīs not even start with Abby, the same Abby who was beyond upset with her mum when she moved on with Frankie even when she thought daddy is dead. Now she encourages her to have an affair? Not even a line from this scene anyway fits with who Abby is and how we get to know her on screen. And Iīm not talking about some old memory from J/Jīs gold days, Iīm talking about just 4 years ago.

As for Jennifer trying to defend Jack, she basically says she always knew he is a deadbeat but still married him and for some unknown reason she loves him. I donīt think thatīs the best way you sumarize arguably third or fourth most popular romance story of the showīs 45 yearīs history. Itīs right from Langanīs women will understand theory where he thought the more bad and unappealingly he writes Jack the more will people sympathize with Jennifer and her new romance. Itīs forced, it contradicts everything the viewers saw and it will make Jennifer look really stupid becase she married this unreliable and incompetent man not once, not two, but three times. And if/when he finally returns she will eventually take him back once again.
The problem is that Jack really is unreliable. That's not new. And Langan didn't make up that aspect of Jack's personality, it's always been there. I wouldn't call him incompetent since all characterizations of Jack have included that he's a gifted reporter and writer, but he can be a bit of a screw-up because he tends to scheme and dream rather than actually work hard in conventional ways. And that ties back to the fact that Jack comes from wealth and the upper-class and so he was used to just always having money. Thus even in the first run we saw him scheming to get his millions back rather than just buckle down and get a regular job like everybody else.

Bo and Hope's situation is different because their personalities are different. None of them have the shady persona that Jack has. So, yes, we're going to get scenes with people like Julie encouraging Jennifer to move on from Jack. And, objectively, one can understand where she's coming from. Seriously, Jack's a dick. He loves Jennifer and the kids with all his heart, but he's not a very good husband and he's only a slightly better father. Frankly, I'd like the character of Jack less if people didn't lob these justifiable complaints Jack's way because otherwise he'd be this annoying Mary Sue character who does these rotten things and never ever gets called on it.

And I wouldn't worry about the situation making Jennifer look bad. I frequented soap message boards during J&J's second run and... they were extremely popular. Even among people who didn't see the first run. Jack was a fun, entertaining character in that era. The very definition of the Lovable Rogue. And everyone loves that guy. So, worry not, no matter how bad they make Jack look (if they even do, I suspect it won't be as egregious as you're fearing) he's still going to be popular and rooted for by the audience. He always is.
I agree witth both of your posts.

And, to touch on Kenny's point about coming up with a new and fresh way to break them up, not sure what you can do there short of making them act out of character. People may not like what the show is going to do but at least it's in character. Just watch these two in the early 90's. It's consistent. It may be a case of been there, done that but, if it works for the characters, that is the most important thing.
What they can do? They can for once have Jennifer be the one chasing Jack. If they want a conflict, let Jennifer be the screw up and wanting Jack back.

OliveAnn

dc cubs
Oct 15 2010, 11:11 AM
Paxton
Oct 15 2010, 10:15 AM
Also, is this really how they do auditions? At your (or someone's) house? I also was mystified by her outfit, which looks like something I might have worn circa 1990, though not with heels. That isn't the outfit I would have picked knowing the camera has to show me full length and from the side; I would have gone with something a lot more streamlined.
I found that interesting too. I have no idea how the audition process works. I'm wondering if actresses submit their personal video tapes first. Then the show weeds through them and decides from those tapes who to bring in for auditions with the actors such as Missy Reeves.
I once heard something similar. Another story I heard is that actors can send in tapes, either ones in which they read lines with someone else (like this girl) or reels of their previous works, if they can't make it to the audition.
Edited by OliveAnn, Oct 16 2010, 07:41 AM.

Beth
Member Avatar

Not one of us are going to buy this line of crap. Jack and Jennifer have gone beyond all of this early drama and have been together "happily" off scene now for "years". Jennifer was obviously with Jack and happy when she was home a few months ago. Abby adores her dad and knows what it is like when they are not married. This just won't fly with any of the fans. What are the writers thinking.

mer4santo
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 15 2010, 05:59 PM
SlyestFox
Oct 15 2010, 05:04 PM
Mitchapalooza
Oct 15 2010, 04:44 PM
The problem I have with Jack and Jennifer and the current regime is that Jack is ALWAYS the one fucking up, he is always the one running out on his family and Jennifer is always being tested and tailored for a new guy, someone who is the anti-Jack.

Its VERY unoriginal and totally ridiculous. Jennifer will only ever love Jack, to try and imply that she will move on with someone knew is just ridiculous...i think I am more annoyed that the show is trying to create this new magical relationship between Jennifer and any random guy, hoping it will stick and become popular enough so that they never have to bring Jack or MA back to the show.

I feel like the show is almost resentful that Jack worked so well for Jennifer, and do not like the idea of a central and core Horton character is sorta tied to Jack forever.

And THAT is what pisses me off, no respect for MA or the character of Jack or J&J as a couple.
I don't agree with all of this. Honestly, and again I say this as a die-hard Jack fan, it's not just under this current regime that Jack is the one always fucking up. It's under every regime that's ever written for the character. Jack has never not been the one screwing things up. Jack is irresponsible and untrustworthy. Those are core traits of his. He's also arrogant and manipulative. He really is a total jerk, even Matt Ashford's admitted that. But these assholish qualities are tempered by him also being passionate and adventurous and clever and charming, which thus makes him a likable character, but he's always been untrustworthy, always shied away from commitment and stability. It's who he is.

So, honestly, to make him suddenly this stable responsible guy would be completely out of character. And since Jennifer is a stable and responsible person, that is always a conflict, and so it makes sense, if she's going to be with someone else, that she be with an Anti-Jack. But ultimately these guys will either turn out to be evil (Peter, Colin) or she'll get bored with them (Frankie, Brandon) and she'll realize Jack is ultimately the one she belongs with and is the one that makes her feel alive. Usually these other pairings aren't paired as that magical for all that long. Colin and Peter were both turned evil almost immediately, Brandon was never treated as a serious possibility for Jennifer and Jennifer was only interested in Frankie the second time around because Jack asked her to be.

And I don't think they're resentful that Jack works so well with Jennifer. I think JER's regime was resentful of that... in fact that was clear. Other regimes have not. Even Langan, for all the faults there, ultimately wrote Jack as a sympathetic character that the audience rooted for. We forget that for all the silliness, there was some really good moments in there for them. The show is well aware that Jack and Jennifer are a supercouple, and I think they're fine with that, although Jennifer is definitely the part of the equation that's most important to them (which is nothing new - Marlena was more important to Days than John and Bo seems more important to Days than Hope, they choose favorites). But supercouples can't just always be together. They've broken up Bo and Hope and John and Marlena just as often as Jack and Jennifer. These couples need to have drama in order for there to be any story.
You said it all. I agree completely.

I mean, people are always wanting character driven stories and complaining when people act out of character. Well, in this case, both J&J would be in character and yet people are still complaining? No wonder the show ignores what the fans want. :eyeroll:
Just because a character is depicted 'in character' doesn't mean it's a character driven story. This regime has proved that they don't write to drive characters, they write to drive poorly planned plots and bend people, time, place to make their nonsense work.

And where the hell is Jack Jr in all of this? Traipsing the world on his daddy's spirit quest?
Edited by mer4santo, Oct 16 2010, 11:10 AM.

supermanfan85
Member Avatar

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 15 2010, 06:37 PM
supermanfan85
Oct 15 2010, 06:16 PM
Interesting... so the question is... who is "Amber"??? or did "Amber" get turned into "Jordan"
Nope, "Jordan" came out in July around the time we heard Missy was coming back. "Amber" we just heard about a little while ago. Plus, they have huge age differences.
ohhh ok.... so what are your thoughts on who Amber is???

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

supermanfan85
Oct 16 2010, 02:58 PM
CaseyLovesDays
Oct 15 2010, 06:37 PM
supermanfan85
Oct 15 2010, 06:16 PM
Interesting... so the question is... who is "Amber"??? or did "Amber" get turned into "Jordan"
Nope, "Jordan" came out in July around the time we heard Missy was coming back. "Amber" we just heard about a little while ago. Plus, they have huge age differences.
ohhh ok.... so what are your thoughts on who Amber is???
If I had to guess I would say it's Maggie's daughter, Sarah. The age seems about right, and with Maggie being much more of a leading character now it would make sense to give her more family in Salem. Obviously, Melissa can make guest apperances but Lisa Trusel has said she doesn't want to return full time. And Sarah is Maggie's biological daughter, so that's who I'd say.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

I am not excited seeing Abby return, ugh I know this is not a popular opinion but the character of Abby annoyed the heck out of me.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

JamesScott_19
Oct 16 2010, 07:45 PM
I am not excited seeing Abby return, ugh I know this is not a popular opinion but the character of Abby annoyed the heck out of me.
We'll judging by the script, she's going to have much more of a different personality so she won't be the same Abby she was four years ago.

lily20

I didn't want Jennifer or abby to come back because now the writers will ruin their characters and make me hate them.
Edited by lily20, Oct 17 2010, 10:36 PM.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

lily20
Oct 17 2010, 10:36 PM
I didn't want Jennifer or abby to come back because now the writers will ruin their characters and make me hate them.
Doubt it. The writing seemed fine for Jennifer when she previously returned for Alice's memorial.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 16 2010, 08:07 PM
JamesScott_19
Oct 16 2010, 07:45 PM
We'll judging by the script, she's going to have much more of a different personality so she won't be the same Abby she was four years ago.
Well that gives me hope, than she has potential.

jhunt

saw this on my twitter newsfeed as an RT... don't think she's actually auditioning, lol but she does a way better job than the other chick.. :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf50Vb_qUic

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

jhunt
Oct 19 2010, 04:41 PM
saw this on my twitter newsfeed as an RT... don't think she's actually auditioning, lol but she does a way better job than the other chick.. :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf50Vb_qUic
Yeah, she just said it would be fun to try and read the script because she's a fan of the show. I could never see her as Abby though LOL.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 18 2010, 02:36 AM
lily20
Oct 17 2010, 10:36 PM
Doubt it. The writing seemed fine for Jennifer when she previously returned for Alice's memorial.
She was only back for Alice's memorial. Now she is back long-term and for stories.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

SlyestFox
Oct 15 2010, 01:01 PM
He's been an asshole from day one. Pulling these kinds of stuff is 100% in character for Jack, and that's why I'm not worried about it.
I have to disagree. Jack is an asshole, yes, and mercurial and unpredictable and driven by grand ideas, but going on spiritual self discovery quests is way too new agey froulala. If they wanted to have him busy, it'd make way more sense to have him busy with work, with a great story that taps into his journalistic ambitions, with a lead that could drive up revenue and bring a fancier lifestyle for his family. That is in character. Jack, when written as the character that brought him the most plaudits and least detraction, is not a weirdo or a joke; he's a smooth operator (who tells jokes).

I'm fine with them inserting a problem into the J&J relationship, but:
- Jennifer was just on in the summer saying how things were fine
- Continuity with previous characterization does not necessitate carbon copy rehashing of previous storylines (granted we don't know if this is happening yet ...)
- It can be done simply through the obstacles of long distance and work vs family issues

Also, if Jennifer can change due to growing up, so can Jack. They should both be continuous yet grown, I really don't want Jack to have Peter Pan syndrome, especially given his characterization at the height of his popularity. Personally I think Sheri Anderson had the right idea about their direction, they're a pretty modern couple who grew out of office relations. I think their core tensions are interesting too, but there's only so many times I can believe that a sensible, non-masochistic woman would keep going back to a guy who acts wildly out of sync with a lifestyle he actually used to be perfectly capable of upholding.

Sorry for necro-resurrecting the thread; I'm stuck on candy duty and just saw the topic and lost control to my impulses :embarrassed:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply