Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings for Week of October 4 - 8
Topic Started: Oct 15 2010, 10:09 PM (2,801 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Oct 16 2010, 01:40 AM
It doesn't matter how good the writing is at this point. It's pretty much game over for the daytime soap genre. B&B has been great and it's ratings never gain more than a tenth of a point. I have accepted that all soaps will be gone in 5-6 years.
Exactly.

There tends to be alot of focus on Days on this board but it's not just Days. Even Y&R is losing in key demos now. It only holds on in HH and total viewers because it skews older. That isn't good either. The networks want young viewers and the fact that Y&R is eroding in demos now is not a good sign either.

I think it's clear now that the audience, in general, is just gone. It's not just Days. Days just looks worse because they were higher than everyone but B&B and Y&R so they had further to fall. These shows won't sniff being above a 2.0 regularly again unless the weather in some of the big markets (NY, FL, TX, etc) traps people in their homes and forces them to have to sit there and watch like we've seen in the past when big snowstorms has led to big numbers. Otherwise, what you've been seeing is what you will get from all these shows. In a few months, you will see everyone from GH on down drop to near 1.5 and lower. B&B will then drop beloe 2.0. Y&R will follow but, as usual, much slower than the others.

That is why I think it's simply not worth it to complain anymore. Either enjoy these shows while they last or resign yourself to their fate and just quit watching now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

VetsRock
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2010, 01:48 AM
Rick
It doesn't matter how good the writing is at this point. It's pretty much game over for the daytime soap genre. B&B has been great and it's ratings never gain more than a tenth of a point. I have accepted that all soaps will be gone in 5-6 years.
Exactly.

There tends to be alot of focus on Days on this board but it's not just Days. Even Y&R is losing in key demos now. It only holds on in HH and total viewers because it skews older. That isn't good either. The networks want young viewers and the fact that Y&R is eroding in demos now is not a good sign either.

I think it's clear now that the audience, in general, is just gone. It's not just Days. Days just looks worse because they were higher than everyone but B&B and Y&R so they had further to fall. These shows won't sniff being above a 2.0 regularly again unless the weather in some of the big markets (NY, FL, TX, etc) traps people in their homes and forces them to have to sit there and watch like we've seen in the past when big snowstorms has led to big numbers. Otherwise, what you've been seeing is what you will get from all these shows. In a few months, you will see everyone from GH on down drop to near 1.5 and lower. B&B will then drop beloe 2.0. Y&R will follow but, as usual, much slower than the others.

That is why I think it's simply not worth it to complain anymore. Either enjoy these shows while they last or resign yourself to their fate and just quit watching now.
ITA,thats why am waiting to see who is left standing or if they all go
I am down to two soaps now and pretty soon there will be NONE

Kenny
Member Avatar

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 15 2010, 10:09 PM
Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,974,000 (+39,000/+29,000)
2. B&B 3,120,000 (-37,000/-138,000)
3. GH 2,571,000 (+125,000/+61,000)
4. OLTL 2,559,000 (+256,000/+157,000)
5. AMC 2,431,000 (+102,000/-42,000)
6. DAYS 2,338,000 (-70,000/-677,000)

HH
1. Y&R 3.5/12 (same/-.1)
2. B&B 2.2/8 (same/-.1)
3. GH 1.9/6 (+.1/same)
3. OLTL 1.9/7 (+.2/same)
5. AMC 1.8/6 (same/-.1)
6. DAYS 1.7/6 (-.1/-.5) <- ties low rating (Last time: September 20-24, 2010)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Wow cant say I am suprised. The show has been unwatchable for a while now and has been ever since SAFE/EJAMI has taken over as the A story on this show.

DAYS will not survive another 6 months with ratings like this.

Its too late to fix DAYS, I have accepted this. I am still watching every day and find things that I still appreciate and enjoy, but for the most part the show is a far cry from where it was last year at this time and is light years away from some of its best moments in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's

There are no rootable couples on this show, not even the resident token "happy" couple (SAFE) is rootable at this point...how ANYONE could find anything rootable in Sami Brady is beyond me. She is no longer the Sami Brady I used to love to hate, that character is LONG gone....probably forever. And well Rafe, there is nothing defining about this character...he is a drone.

I am just beginning not to care anymore about this show, bad ratings like this used to worry me, because I always feared losing DAYS to cancellation.....I really don't know if I care anymore....the entire soap genre has just grown extremely tired to me...is it possible I have outgrown them??

Thank god for youtube and all the wonderful moments from this shows great history to still enjoy.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Oct 16 2010, 04:13 AM.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2010, 01:48 AM
Rick
Exactly.

This is all true but we are not talking about DAYS being gone in 5-6 years. This is not just the natural viewers erosition. We are talking about approx. 50,000 viewers each week who tune out and donīt come back during a period when all big fall stories are showcased and heating up. Iīm still enjoying most of the characterīs and many individual scenes but honestly even Iīm getting tired with all the wating.

Higley wasnīt able to establish a successfull teen scene in two years. I have absolutely no idea what is the purpose of the Stephanie/Nathan/Mel/Phillip/Chloe/Dan story. It sounds interesting and very soapy on paper but the execution is terrible. There is no purpose, no clear outcome to root for. If they want to reunite Chloe and Phillip they should actually made them fall in love again and fight those feelings, if they want to give another chance to Phillip and Stephanie they should actually show them growing closer. Poor Mark Hapka had absolutely nothing to do for an entire year, except f*ck Steph and make eyes on Mel approx. once each two months. Why he isnīt doing something to win her? He knows she still loves him. Shelley is still on BB even when she should be working with Kayla full time investigating the switch, instead they show her once a week to recap. Mel and Phillip had such an amazing chemistry and forbidden love feeling, now they are like a vet noodle. I so loved Melanie when she was written as this this generation Sami, the underdog who has to fight hard and sometime not fair, but we still tend to root for her. That was the story I was looking forward last year. I have no idea why they decided to change her into a new Belle Black.

Iīm not even talking about any vets now. Because I like all these new characters. I even liked Mia, but I probably already saw Taylor having more screentime watching first 10 episodes of her Melissa and Joey show (and she is really good there!) than she had during approx. 350 episodes of DAYS. And I certainly know more about her character. Thatīs just sad.

What worse, it used to be we could clearly say when one story starts and ends. We even have names for some of them. But when you try to sumarize anything what happened this year, you donīt get a story, you get a basic idea with very little progress. There are no stories on DAYS, just people with various secrets other people knows or are gradually finding about and nobody ever tells anything but likes discuss it endlessly. All that and hoping sometime, someday, probably during a sweeps period some of these secrets finally comes out and we move on.

Kenny
Member Avatar

jane1978
Oct 16 2010, 05:11 AM
What worse, it used to be we could clearly say when one story starts and ends. We even have names for some of them. But when you try to sumarize anything what happened this year, you donīt get a story, you get a basic idea with very little progress. There are no stories on DAYS, just people with various secrets other people knows or are gradually finding about and nobody ever tells anything but likes discuss it endlessly. All that and hoping sometime, someday, probably during a sweeps period some of these secrets finally comes out and we move on.
LoL, yes!

Remember when Higley wrote the show in 2003? There were no stories -- just characters sitting around discussing the same shit every day ad nauseum. It was the summer of nothing.

On a Higley soap, stories are never told and nothing of substance ever happens. Whereas many writers are bashed for being too plot-driven, the problem with Higley is that she doesn't write plot at all. She writes scenes and episodes, but she doesn't write stories. One of the biggest gripes of her tenure at OLTL was that her plot outlines consisted of one or two sentences and it was up to the script writers to fill in the blanks and somehow milk months of story out of it. Can you imagine what it must be like to write for a HW like that who gives you nothing to work with?

"Dena Higley likes to tell stories that she thinks are interesting but nobody else does." - E. Slezak

Uninteresting stories = LACK OF STORY. Trying to find an actual plot in Higley's mess of situational nothing is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. If it wasn't for Tomlin/Whitesell (who I have issues with for separate reasons) we'd probably be even worse off story-wise than we already are and that's a scary thought.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I think the other shows, besides Days, was really gearing up for something big and to have the aftermath for November. You look at Y & R, they were really gearing up for this tornado and things began to heat up-- OLTL-- Todd and Tea', Echo-- things are gearing up -- B & B-- Steph and Brooke!! I kind of think that Days wasn't gearing up for anything that people really want to see in November. They have had the same storylines for well over a year and, could it be possible, people are growing tired of them? Maybe it's time to change the focus a bit? Would that even help?

I know that Days doesn't have the money like the other soaps but if there was some definite ending to these major storylines (EJ, Sami, Rafe, Chloe, Melanie, Carly, Daniel and even now it's time for Viv to get out) and get into some new storylines, maybe that would help. For me, I'm so beyond tired of all of these characters and would really like to see some others get some screentime with a good storyline.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

And just a couple of weeks ago Corday said that this is the best team of producers and writers he's ever had :laugh:

Your cheap shooting stunt didn't work. Keep falling and lets hope you are cancelled next year!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Rick
B&B doesn't gain more because fans know they will suck in just a few weeks again, it's always like that with B&B because Bell only writes a couple of weeks ahead. He doesn't plan long-term stories.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Oct 15 2010, 10:49 PM

I have been told that ratings for the week of Oct. 11-15 will be better.
How do you know that? I've seen that on other boards and I'm just curious as to how they know the ratings will be better.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 16 2010, 05:26 AM
Remember when Higley wrote the show in 2003? There were no stories -- just characters sitting around discussing the same shit every day ad nauseum. It was the summer of nothing.

On a Higley soap, stories are never told and nothing of substance ever happens. Whereas many writers are bashed for being too plot-driven, the problem with Higley is that she doesn't write plot at all. She writes scenes and episodes, but she doesn't write stories. One of the biggest gripes of her tenure at OLTL was that her plot outlines consisted of one or two sentences and it was up to the script writers to fill in the blanks and somehow milk months of story out of it. Can you imagine what it must be like to write for a HW like that who gives you nothing to work with?
And that is why I disagree with those saying Higley had nothing to do with the EJ's shooting. It was classic Higley, cheap stunt that didn't lead anywhere and after we're back to the same boring talk that we had before.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Kirk
Oct 15 2010, 11:09 PM
I am awaiting PhoenixRising spin on these ratings. :popcorn:
You just LOOOVE to stir that pot, don't ya Kirk? :D I always look forward to the back and forth over the ratings with PR! He makes the thread!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

jane1978
Oct 16 2010, 05:11 AM
This is all true but we are not talking about DAYS being gone in 5-6 years. This is not just the natural viewers erosition. We are talking about approx. 50,000 viewers each week who tune out and donīt come back during a period when all big fall stories are showcased and heating up.
Exactly. That is what I was getting at upthread, that this is NOT just a natural erosion. Personally I think Hogan Sheffer's writing hastened along Days' destruction, but the fact that the show was able to stabilize and recover somewhat for the period fall 2008 through February 2010 made Days the success story of the genre for that period. People were thinking that it WAS possible to lure new viewers in and/or bring some old viewers back, instead of just assuming that no new viewers were coming in and all old-time viewers who were lost were never coming back. I'm sure they would have liked their demos to be better, but look at where they are now!

And I've complained before about how the show is nothing but people keeping secrets. At least in Buried Alive 2.0 there's a reasonably interesting secret to keep, but otherwise, there's no action related to the secrets:

-Chloe's secret is her ONS with Philip. This secret affects Philip, Melanie, Daniel, and Carly (and others know about it, which makes you wonder at what point is it no longer a secret). But it was a one-night stand with essentially no emotional involvement for Philip and Chloe. I haven't seen any evidence the purpose of it was to reunite Philip and Chloe (Chloe might as well have cheated with a sperm sample), nor do I see any evidence that Philip and Stephanie are to reunite. Basically this story is all about Chloe begging people to keep quiet, Daniel insisting Chloe is sheer perfection, Melanie pontificating about truth and honesty, and Philip doing nothing except to occasionally look annoyed that his life might be disrupted.

-Sami's shooting secret. Again, one quick act (that we've seen flashed back to a million times), followed by endlessly boring conversations about how to keep it a secret from EJ. Throw in the facts that Rafe would apparently do anything for the worthless Samantha and that EJ apparently can't get over his taste for extra peroxide and the shit is unwatchable.

-Brady and Vivian's secret. This is the one storyline I find some promise in because they are at least trying to explain Brady's turn to the dark side. I also enjoy EM (yes, I know many don't like his acting, but I do), and AZ, JA and LS are always worth watching even when the stuff they have is not-very-good ranging to downright crap. This is the one storyline that has basically all the actors I still find enjoyable. There is a lot I don't love about it but it's the only one I can say I'm curious to know where it's going.

-The prison secret. Right now it's too early to say what that all will involve and I have not ruled out that it might be interesting. At least, if it's actually some sort of scandalous organ-selling or corruption problem that involves a number of characters it could be entertaining and would certainly be different.

I've been worried for months, as evidenced by my postings in the ratings threads, that this is a serious problem for Days. I no longer care if Days is canceled, because once they turned it into the Alison Sweeney and Molly Burnett Show, I think they deserved it. I really don't think Corday understands the problems at all, even though he sounds like he does sometimes, like when he said a couple of months ago we'd be getting a lot more romance--when? where? who? I count 1 1/2 couples who are getting ANYTHING like traditional soapy romance writing, i.e., Safe and Victor/Maggie, and I personally don't care for either of them. It's great if you do, but I don't.

I shall certainly feel free to continue to complain and vent about how the show was ruined. I have been comfortable with the idea for years that Days will get canceled eventually and I have more than made my peace with the idea that the soap genre is dead. But, the incredibly poor decision-making in 2010--by the same production and writing team responsible for 2009's relative ratings success story--is simply utterly baffling.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Not good. That's a huge loss. I'm hoping it's just a bad week, and they'll go up next week. Right now though I think Days needs some big news that shoots the Soap World's focus on them. Possibly Jarlena's return, but with that comes a price so they'd also need to axe a ton of people which I'd be fine with.

Also, these don't count the online viewings so we can't know how greatly the audience is there.

Mason
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Oct 16 2010, 06:56 AM
And that is why I disagree with those saying Higley had nothing to do with the EJ's shooting. It was classic Higley, cheap stunt that didn't lead anywhere and after we're back to the same boring talk that we had before.
I'm still waiting for DAYS to skyrocket to the top of the ratings like everyone was so convinced it would when we found out that Sami was going to shoot E.J. So much for that. :lol:

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Oct 16 2010, 06:53 AM
gailwinters

How do you know that? I've seen that on other boards and I'm just curious as to how they know the ratings will be better.
The network gets overnight ratings. So on Tues. they had Mon. ratings in their hands to review. There are adjustments and then the ratings are tallied to provide weekly ratings but they already kind of know by now what they did for this last week.

But this time of year they SHOULD be seeing better ratings. That they are still falling is just pathetic.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 16 2010, 10:14 AM
Sindacco
I'm still waiting for DAYS to skyrocket to the top of the ratings like everyone was so convinced it would when we found out that Sami was going to shoot E.J. So much for that. :lol:
The ironic thing is Ken and company keep telling everyone that the show has heart and is about compelling storytelling and the redemptive power of love when everything that is on screen is the exact opposite.

The show is unwatchable because the characters are not rootable or likable. There is no heart to the show and it's just a bunch of stuff that happens and who cares? That is 100% Higley. She does not consider each character in her storytelling and how it might write someone into a hole to have them do xxx. She ruins a character and then keeps writing for that character like xxx didn't happen. If things don't matter then there is no point to watch which is why the ratings suck!

She's toxic. She did it to OLTL which is still suffering for her tenure. They've had to go through a lot of crap and growing pains since she left to get over it. And they are starting to (maybe) but it's like three years later! Days doesn't have three years.
Edited by ElvisDiMera, Oct 16 2010, 10:33 AM.

six
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Kenny
Oct 16 2010, 05:26 AM

I didn't think she did at the time, but I definitely do now. The leaked show made it like Nicole, and Victor, and others were tied in, and it seemed like it was the start to a big umbrella story, and that the Kiriakis/Dimera feud was about to start again, but instead it was just another Event that changed nothing.

I'm resigned to the fact that they're not going to change anything behind the scenes, and Days isn't going to get another renewal. Days showed last year that soaps can bring in the viewers, and they don't have to die quite so quickly. I don't think that was a fluke. It can be done again, but DH has to go.

Queen B
Member Avatar

DAYS has proven that its not just the writing that makes the show horrible, its the production and their cast is dreadful.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

ElvisDiMera
Oct 16 2010, 10:25 AM
talbab1994
Oct 16 2010, 06:53 AM
gailwinters

The network gets overnight ratings. So on Tues. they had Mon. ratings in their hands to review. There are adjustments and then the ratings are tallied to provide weekly ratings but they already kind of know by now what they did for this last week.

But this time of year they SHOULD be seeing better ratings. That they are still falling is just pathetic.
Elvis is right.....I know someone who knows someone......who gets the overnights.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply