Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings for Week of October 4 - 8
Topic Started: Oct 15 2010, 10:09 PM (2,755 Views)
LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

Liz<3Days
Oct 15 2010, 10:15 PM
Thank you DAYS for validating my not watching this crap!

677,000 people LOST from last year!

And YES....I blame Sami and her stupid men stories! They are advertised as the "A story," so if they tank, I blame them! People are tired of it and its only going to get worst because DAYS taping so many episodes in advance!

and that's not even as bad as this:

987,000 viewers lost in 8 months. 13K shy of a million.

Now that is telling....

I agree in part it's the overexposure of Sami, but frankly when hasn't Sami been overexposed? Combo of sucky writing and overexposure might have finally done it. That and about 50% of the people on this show now weren't there 5 years ago. Telling. They need the vets back, they need a good writer, they need another producer that doesn't have his head in his ass and they need someone that'll say, NO because it makes sense, not because they have an agenda.

In 2008 after having disastrous ratings also (not as bad as this last stretch though)....the ratings did start to go up again the first week of October...and continued to slowly climb.....the ratings for Days are flat now, they aren't going anywhere...which is bad.

I wonder if that latest blind item in Nelson's Branco's article had to do with Days.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2010, 12:43 AM
Kirk
Oct 15 2010, 11:09 PM
I am awaiting PhoenixRising spin on these ratings. :popcorn:
Nope. Not going to say anything (not that I don't have things to say, they would just be repetitive). In fact, I think I'm going back into lurkdom again like I was for the past week or so. Too much doom and gloom for me. Life is rough enough.

ALL the soaps should be worried. Days isn't the only one. Y&R is down now to a 0.8 in 18-34 for Christ's sakes. The genre is done and has been done. That is why it does no good to sit around and complain. These people could be putting out Shakesphere and it wouldn't make a difference. Just enjoy each show for however long it lasts.
Awww! Looks like I "spoke" too soon! :unsure:

dooldooldool

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2010, 01:48 AM
.....I think it's clear now that the audience, in general, is just gone. It's not just Days.....
The same could be said of nearly every hour of network programming, from daytime to evening to late night.

One year ago, NBC affiliates were screeching about the 10PM Jay Leno Show. Well, guess what, NBC is getting WORSE ratings at 10PM than it did last year. Is it plastered all over Daily Variety or Access Hollywood or ET? Nope. Folks have finally figured out that the model of just broadcasting a show is nearly obsolete.

How will shows continue to be produced? By costing less money. Advertisers aren't bailing yet. They don't really have anywhere else to go.

dooldooldool

Mitchapalooza
Oct 16 2010, 04:11 AM
DAYS will not survive another 6 months with ratings like this.
Well, since its been renewed through September 2011, it will last at least 10 months.

FanODays

The biggest reason that I don't watch much anymore is that there are no love stories. Days sucess was based on incredible love stories but not anymore. To be honest I don't know what the show is about and I don't really care about any of the characters anymore.

I know Corday resented the one thing that made Days so very different, supercouples, but he went too far to the extreme, now there is no love. I'm not convinced Sami's true love is Rafe, I'm sad to say and that just ruins her character. Chloe and Philip should be secretly in love but unwilling to hurt others so trying to stay away and so on.

If this is the stuff that Corday said would save Days a few months ago then he's just proven how he doesn't know anything about the show or its viewers.

sungrey

I'm going to chime in again and say destroying the "supercouple" formula has made the show unwatchable at times. Someone needs to step in and tell Ken Corday his Tomlin/Higley/Whitesell team is not working... and it's not, don't kid yourselves...

Then the show needs to have Ken step back into the EP seat in a more active role, and a competent writer needs to be brought aboard who knows the show. Yes, I'm going to say Sheri Anderson again (if this show's going to go down, at least let someone write it who knows the show inside and out), but a number of past Days writers could work as well.

I'm not ready to give up on Days yet. My frustration level with this show is nowhere near where it was when Reilly was writing it, but a wholescale exam needs to happen. Don't tape so far ahead. Maybe then you can ID and fix what isn't working.
Edited by sungrey, Oct 17 2010, 11:42 AM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Paxton
Oct 16 2010, 09:32 AM
jane1978
Oct 16 2010, 05:11 AM
This is all true but we are not talking about DAYS being gone in 5-6 years. This is not just the natural viewers erosition. We are talking about approx. 50,000 viewers each week who tune out and donīt come back during a period when all big fall stories are showcased and heating up.
Exactly. That is what I was getting at upthread, that this is NOT just a natural erosion. Personally I think Hogan Sheffer's writing hastened along Days' destruction, but the fact that the show was able to stabilize and recover somewhat for the period fall 2008 through February 2010 made Days the success story of the genre for that period. People were thinking that it WAS possible to lure new viewers in and/or bring some old viewers back, instead of just assuming that no new viewers were coming in and all old-time viewers who were lost were never coming back. I'm sure they would have liked their demos to be better, but look at where they are now!

And I've complained before about how the show is nothing but people keeping secrets. At least in Buried Alive 2.0 there's a reasonably interesting secret to keep, but otherwise, there's no action related to the secrets:

-Chloe's secret is her ONS with Philip. This secret affects Philip, Melanie, Daniel, and Carly (and others know about it, which makes you wonder at what point is it no longer a secret). But it was a one-night stand with essentially no emotional involvement for Philip and Chloe. I haven't seen any evidence the purpose of it was to reunite Philip and Chloe (Chloe might as well have cheated with a sperm sample), nor do I see any evidence that Philip and Stephanie are to reunite. Basically this story is all about Chloe begging people to keep quiet, Daniel insisting Chloe is sheer perfection, Melanie pontificating about truth and honesty, and Philip doing nothing except to occasionally look annoyed that his life might be disrupted.

-Sami's shooting secret. Again, one quick act (that we've seen flashed back to a million times), followed by endlessly boring conversations about how to keep it a secret from EJ. Throw in the facts that Rafe would apparently do anything for the worthless Samantha and that EJ apparently can't get over his taste for extra peroxide and the shit is unwatchable.

-Brady and Vivian's secret. This is the one storyline I find some promise in because they are at least trying to explain Brady's turn to the dark side. I also enjoy EM (yes, I know many don't like his acting, but I do), and AZ, JA and LS are always worth watching even when the stuff they have is not-very-good ranging to downright crap. This is the one storyline that has basically all the actors I still find enjoyable. There is a lot I don't love about it but it's the only one I can say I'm curious to know where it's going.

-The prison secret. Right now it's too early to say what that all will involve and I have not ruled out that it might be interesting. At least, if it's actually some sort of scandalous organ-selling or corruption problem that involves a number of characters it could be entertaining and would certainly be different.

I've been worried for months, as evidenced by my postings in the ratings threads, that this is a serious problem for Days. I no longer care if Days is canceled, because once they turned it into the Alison Sweeney and Molly Burnett Show, I think they deserved it. I really don't think Corday understands the problems at all, even though he sounds like he does sometimes, like when he said a couple of months ago we'd be getting a lot more romance--when? where? who? I count 1 1/2 couples who are getting ANYTHING like traditional soapy romance writing, i.e., Safe and Victor/Maggie, and I personally don't care for either of them. It's great if you do, but I don't.

I shall certainly feel free to continue to complain and vent about how the show was ruined. I have been comfortable with the idea for years that Days will get canceled eventually and I have more than made my peace with the idea that the soap genre is dead. But, the incredibly poor decision-making in 2010--by the same production and writing team responsible for 2009's relative ratings success story--is simply utterly baffling.
Quoted, as they say, for truth.

This is exactly how I feel about the show - exactly the same problems I have with the writing. I don't understand WTF is wrong with this show, or why the writers are so abominably bad. It's not that hard to write a romance, I promise. I've managed to get three of them published, and if I can do it, you'd think that the idiots who went to school for it and interned on a show for it and spent years in the industries could write the most compelling, exciting, watchable romances around.

And I don't believe the soap genre as a whole is dead. Desperate Housewives is a soap. So is Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice. People still want to watch soaps - it's just that the daytime shows are utterly incapable of delivering anything remotely compelling or interesting to watch.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dooldooldool
Oct 17 2010, 06:06 AM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2010, 01:48 AM
.....I think it's clear now that the audience, in general, is just gone. It's not just Days.....
The same could be said of nearly every hour of network programming, from daytime to evening to late night.

One year ago, NBC affiliates were screeching about the 10PM Jay Leno Show. Well, guess what, NBC is getting WORSE ratings at 10PM than it did last year. Is it plastered all over Daily Variety or Access Hollywood or ET? Nope. Folks have finally figured out that the model of just broadcasting a show is nearly obsolete.

How will shows continue to be produced? By costing less money. Advertisers aren't bailing yet. They don't really have anywhere else to go.
Very good point.

This isn't simply about these shows sucking anymore. That is what so many people don't seem to get. Quality doesn't make a damn difference anymore. There are just too many other factors now. And that isn't an excuse. It's a fact.

sungrey

NBC's 10pm woes are partially correct. Leno did draw higher numbers in some slots. Let's break it down.

Monday -- Chase gets a weak lead-in from The Event and faces tough competition
Tuesday -- Parenthood, too good a show to fail IMHO, isn't getting a satisfactory lead-in from Biggest Loser.
Wednesday -- Law and Order LA is drawing decent numbers, but SVU is more of a 10pm show and should be moved there.
Thursday -- Apprentice's ratings are awful. LOLA should go to 10. It'd have a chance on this night to make a dent.
Friday -- Outlaw. Already canceled, Dateline probably runs at 10. Meh.

There are very strong shows at 10. They just happen to be on other networks.

dooldooldool

sungrey
Oct 17 2010, 03:43 PM
NBC's 10pm woes are partially correct. Leno did draw higher numbers in some slots. Let's break it down.

Tuesday -- Parenthood, too good a show to fail IMHO, isn't getting a satisfactory lead-in from Biggest Loser.
Wednesday -- Law and Order LA is drawing decent numbers, but SVU is more of a 10pm show and should be moved there.
Thursday -- Apprentice's ratings are awful. LOLA should go to 10. It'd have a chance on this night to make a dent.

Quality doesn't mean ratings. That's been true for 50 years.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/13/nbcs-3rd-week-10pm-ratings-cant-beat-the-jay-leno-show-from-2009/67881

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dooldooldool
Oct 17 2010, 06:12 PM
sungrey
Oct 17 2010, 03:43 PM

Quality doesn't mean ratings. That's been true for 50 years.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/13/nbcs-3rd-week-10pm-ratings-cant-beat-the-jay-leno-show-from-2009/67881
Exactly.

How many shows called "great" by many fans get canned every year? In the end, how the fans feel doesn't make a difference. It's all about what is making money. That is what drives the decision-making now.

sungrey

Oh, sure. As someone who prefers to see scripted shows at 10 (and by extension, the chance to see ex-soap actors in primetime), I'm just saying I hope NBC doesn't repeat the Jay Leno mistake any time soon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply