Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What do you think IS working? What's not working?
Topic Started: Oct 17 2010, 01:46 PM (8,122 Views)
Kriss4

What do you think IS working?

Which stories grab you? Which characters are getting something to say or do that you do find interesting and compelling, with potential for future story?

I like seeing the Victor/Maggie story as it's developing. Mickey and Maggie were already together when I started watching and I like watching a LOVE STORY develop. I know Victor is capable of all kinds of things, but I think Maggie can handle him, LOL!

I have enjoyed Kayla coming around and laying it all on the line for Stephanie in particular. It's been fun watching her tell Stephanie the truth. You know she loves her kid and wants her to be okay, but she doesn't mind telling her the truth when she's off the mark, and I like that.

Not working for me:

The whole EJ/Sami/Rafe thing doesn't work for me. I already watched a lot of this story before, with EJ/Sami/Lucas. There's nothing new or fresh or exciting in it, and EJ/Sami/Rafe have all, at one time or another, managed to make themselves unrootable, so it's hard to pick the character you can stick with and really want happiness for.

Bo and Carly.

The baby switch- It isn't that this story doesn't have potential, but I honestly think it's being centered on the wrong character. I don't see why Melanie's so much the focal point while Philip is kind of a bit player in a tale where he might very well turn out to be the father. I'd love to have seen some pull toward Chloe and that baby, considering Philip's history of loss regarding children. He lost Claire to Shawn-Douglas, and he gave up Tyler. I'd like to know how this baby, potentially his, affects HIM.

I don't actually care much about Melanie.

I'd rather watch Stephanie figure out why she's so obsessed with keeping Nathan. Is it about Nathan or is something else driving her?

I'd like to know.

Instead, I get a steady diet of Melanie, very little of where Philip's head's at, and tons of EJ/Sami/Rafe...all of whom need a fresh story.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

am103
Member Avatar

Victor/Maggie is by far the best thing on the show right now. I love watching Victor's funny banter as Maggie tries to staighten him out. Those two have the perfect chemistry and I enjoy seeing both of them in front-burning action. I just wish Vivian would finally come out of that damn coffin. I wanna see how much crazier she is when she gets out.

EJ/Sami/Rafe has totally died on me. It's time to stop milking from this story. I would have LOVED to see Arianna and EJ get together, but that's clearly not going to happen. It would be great if Lucas came back and there was a Lucas/Sami/Rafe triangle. I would love that. Or if we finally found out what the hell happened with that Emily girl from Rafe's past. That story went dry last year.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

We'll the only two things I'm liking right now is the slow building Maggie & Victor romance, and Kayla's part in the "who's the daddy?" story. Otherwise, I'm not interested in much right now. Bo & Hope aren't together, and it's been over a year and I'm sick of waiting for that. They need to get back together soon.

I can't stand Sami or Rafe as individual characters or as a couple, but I wouldn't mind watching a triangle with Lucas thrown in the mix.

trojangal
Member Avatar

I liked Melanie before they made her into a self- righteous, whinny little twit . For God sakes she is a married woman with a husband worth millions and she acts like a 2 year old being denied
a toy at Babies R Us.
Why should we care about her drama?

Not sure about a Victor & Maggie romance but I do like their interacting together.
Edited by trojangal, Oct 17 2010, 01:58 PM.

Kriss4

CaseyLovesDays
Oct 17 2010, 01:55 PM
We'll the only two things I'm liking right now is the slow building Maggie & Victor romance, and Kayla's part in the "who's the daddy?" story. Otherwise, I'm not interested in much right now. Bo & Hope aren't together, and it's been over a year and I'm sick of waiting for that. They need to get back together soon.

I can't stand Sami or Rafe as individual characters or as a couple, but I wouldn't mind watching a triangle with Lucas thrown in the mix.
For that, they'd have to bring back Lucas...and I would be in favor of that. I loved the way Bryan handled his scenes during the Alice memorial in every respect.

I don't need him involved with Sami, though...not in any romantic way. Sami's fickle and she never knows her own mind and heart.

Why not let Lucas come back and meet someone brand new? I'd like to see him win at love for once.

I want some development in the Bo and Hope story, too. I'm not in favor of Bo and Carly. They still seem strange to me when they're together and Bo is proclaiming love for her. I feel uncomfortable with it. I know Bo and Carly have their fans, but I can't see Bo and Carly together and not think it's wrong. She came to town hoping for Bo to save her, and hoping for another chance with him. Bo and Hope's marital troubles gave Carly an entry point and she entered, doubts and all, and launched into a relationship with Bo. I know Hope did a terrible thing, and I don't excuse her...but that doesn't mean I just love the idea of Bo and Carly. I don't.

I'd rather see Bo and Hope confront their issues. If at the end of that, they find they can't be together, then I'll deal with that. But I don't like Bo and Carly together.

Edited by Kriss4, Oct 17 2010, 02:09 PM.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

What's not working is yet another rehash of EJ tormenting Sami. Been there done that too many times to count. EJ and Sami need to have zero interaction at this point.

What is working for me is Brady and Nicole. I love these two paired together. Also Maggie and Victor are fun to watch. That's about it.

Mason
Member Avatar

What is? Nothing.

What's not? Everything.
Edited by Mason, Oct 17 2010, 02:08 PM.

Kriss4

Not even Victor and Maggie for you, eh, Mason?

JackN'Jen
Member Avatar

Victor/Maggie - I'm loving how the writers are telling this story which is actually a little shocking considering they have a hard time writing anything decent. These two remind me of old days when they didn't rush couples but explored them and made them fall in love instead of just putting them to bed.
Vivian/Brady/Nicole - I'm also loving this S/L for the reason that it's hilarious and it's not something they've done before(not to my knowledge at least) not to mention that dark Brady and Nicole are too hot for words. I'm loving them right now.

Whats not working....EVERYTHING ELSE!! The other S/L are things we have seen time and time again and they are getting dragged out forever, I mean the whole EJ/Sami thing has been going on for what 4 years?? That's not normal. They need to either put them together or leave them apart either way they just need to get them the hell off my screen, that also goes to Rafe, Melanie, Daniel, Carly, Chloe, Philip, Nathan and Stephanie. I can't stand watching these people anymore they need to wrap up their S/L ASAP!!

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I also think we have far too many newbies on the show.

Kriss4

JackN'Jen
Oct 17 2010, 02:13 PM
Victor/Maggie - I'm loving how the writers are telling this story which is actually a little shocking considering they have a hard time writing anything decent. These two remind me of old days when they didn't rush couples but explored them and made them fall in love instead of just putting them to bed.
Vivian/Brady/Nicole - I'm also loving this S/L for the reason that it's hilarious and it's not something they've done before(not to my knowledge at least) not to mention that dark Brady and Nicole are too hot for words. I'm loving them right now.

Whats not working....EVERYTHING ELSE!! The other S/L are things we have seen time and time again and they are getting dragged out forever, I mean the whole EJ/Sami thing has been going on for what 4 years?? That's not normal. They need to either put them together or leave them apart either way they just need to get them the hell off my screen, that also goes to Rafe, Melanie, Daniel, Carly, Chloe, Philip, Nathan and Stephanie. I can't stand watching these people anymore they need to wrap up their S/L ASAP!!
I was enjoying the "Vivian in a casket" for awhile, but it's wearing on me at the moment and needs a new twist. I actually kind of enjoy the darker Brady Black, but seeing him with Nicole again...I don't know. I like Nicole and I'd like her to finally find someone who loves her and who she doesn't have to apologize to all the time. I know she's been wrong pretty often, and she's done some rotten things, but I can't help but like her.

Unlike you, I like Stephanie. I'm not sure why or when THAT happened. I've always been more on her side than Melanie's though. I had to sit up and take notice in the scene where Kayla asked Stephanie how she became so desperate, and Stephanie said she wasn't (and of course she is...but I felt bad for her, anyway, in that scene):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixrH4782jI

Anyway, Melanie has tons of defenders in Salem who'll point her in the right direction. She doesn't need more. I find it strange that she's acting as though she has the right to judge people right now, when I remember a Melanie who was very busily doing everything she could to bust up Stephanie and Max and trying to frame Stephanie for murder, so where does she get off now going around town yelling at everyone?

She's disappointed in them? Okay. Tell them that. But don't be so quick to judge. She should remember who she was not all that long ago.

Edited by Kriss4, Oct 17 2010, 02:33 PM.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

Not working:The Days of Melanie...I'm sick of her, please do something with her like send her off the show, please.

EJami/Safe triangle....let's face it this was really never a 'triangle' in the true sense of the word, it was a rehash of bad writing that happened before with the exact same results this time around. Only those that are insane do the same thing and expect different results, just because they replaced Lucas with Rafe doesn't mean the story was any different. Sami was still dumb enough to believe Ej's lies, Ej was still manipulating Sami, Rafe ended up in jail and all that....the only thing was that they apparently didn't go down the path of having Sami sleep with Ej again this time, that was the ONLY saving grace in this pathetic story. End it, once and for all and have Sami be alone for once with a focus on doing something else other than having all these men fall at her feet.

Dr. whateverhisnameis.....the character played by Ty Treadway...why the fuck should I even care about him again?

Had potential but they blew it:
Vivian/Brady and Nicole: It started great, now it's simply long overdue for an end. Brady using Nicole is simply bad, let's face it he either loves her as she is, or he doesn't and apparently if he has to be drunk to love her then maybe it's time to move them past one another. (and I liked them too...)

Working

maggie/victor-OH MAGSTOR! The only thing I have to look forward to on this stupid show. Hope they don't ruin em too.

Hope's story-I'm intrigued if it leads us to Bope reuniting...

May work but with another writing team:

Kayla's return (is she back for good?)

Jenn's return (let's hope Jack follows soon)
Edited by LuvingLumi, Oct 17 2010, 02:32 PM.

robolynn

I love Brady/Nicole and Victor/Maggie. Other than that, not much is working. I hate Sami/EJ/Rafe, Dan/Chloe and Carly. I'm enjoying the story with Viv - but hope that they don't drag it out too long.

Kriss4

LuvingLumi
Oct 17 2010, 02:31 PM
Not working:The Days of Melanie...I'm sick of her, please do something with her like send her off the show, please.

EJami/Safe triangle....let's face it this was really never a 'triangle' in the true sense of the word, it was a rehash of bad writing that happened before with the exact same results this time around. Only those that are insane do the same thing and expect different results, just because they replaced Lucas with Rafe doesn't mean the story was any different. Sami was still dumb enough to believe Ej's lies, Ej was still manipulating Sami, Rafe ended up in jail and all that....the only thing was that they apparently didn't go down the path of having Sami sleep with Ej again this time, that was the ONLY saving grace in this pathetic story. End it, once and for all and have Sami be alone for once with a focus on doing something else other than having all these men fall at her feet.

Dr. whateverhisnameis.....the character played by Ty Treadway...why the fuck should I even care about him again?

Had potential but they blew it:
Vivian/Brady and Nicole: It started great, now it's simply long overdue for an end. Brady using Nicole is simply bad, let's face it he either loves her as she is, or he doesn't and apparently if he has to be drunk to love her then maybe it's time to move them past one another. (and I liked them too...)

Working

maggie/victor-OH MAGSTOR! The only thing I have to look forward to on this stupid show. Hope they don't ruin em too.

Hope's story-I'm intrigued if it leads us to Bope reuniting...

May work but with another writing team:

Kayla's return (is she back for good?)

Jenn's return (let's hope Jack follows soon)
Kayla's not back for good. She's back for a 25 episode arc, trying to straighten her daughter out some, and maybe find a way to set things right with the switched test results.

I think Mary Beth might return again in the future, though. Maybe she'll recur, and that might be the best possible thing.

And I'm hopeful for Missy's return as well. I love Missy, and I think Jen's great...Hopefully, Jen will get wonderful writing...as wonderful as can be anyway.

Who's writing Victor and Maggie? I say that person should write the lion's share of Jen's return.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I really believe that Days has over exposed EJ, Rafe, Sami, Chloe, Daniel, and Melaine to the hilt. It's old. For me, the whole EJ and Sami thing is like watching two abusers continue to abuse each other as often as they can. I find that, how the writers have written them both is awful. I'm not on any band wagon in terms of Sami and her men, but enough is enough. Get them out of each other's orbit for a while. That is one of many times I FF this show. Daniel, Chloe, Melanie, and even Phillip and Carly -- for me enough!!! It's not that I don't like or dislike any of them, it's that I'm tired of them and this whole storyline. I'm so very disappointed in the character in Carly. The writers have done such a poor job with her this go around. I think that these two storylines need to wrap up-- but see, that's the problem. The PTB at Days have kept these going and going and GOING until people have had more than enough and then we have to see on the cover of SOD that Corday has a plan to save Days. Mr. Corday, it doesn't take rocket science-- have a beginning, middle and end to a story.

I'm curious about how Bo and Hope will get back together. I think that both characters need to look inward and hopefully, the writers will go this route. Let them look at themselves and see what really happened-- blaming Bo, Carly or even Hope, isn't much of a storyline. It's a fight and frankly, I'm tired of it.

I like the friendship of Maggie and Victor. Both actors bring their 'A' game and it's nice to see that. I hope they continue this and I'm curious to see where this will go, storyline wise. I'm again disappointed in the character of Vivian. From one of the best vilianess to this is just plain sad. Brady needs to go to rehab and start with him again. He's a good guy but he needs those gray colors too. There's room for something like that in a character. Nicole needs another love interest.

I'm a Justin and Adrienne fan. For me, they are romance and romance is so needed in this show. BADLY!! I would love to see them more. I know that all of us watch soaps for different reasons. One of my reasons is the romance. It's an escape for me and I don't want to escape to Days anymore. I would rather find something else to do with my time. I really hope they can find some happy medium with this show. I know that they won't be able to please everyone but they really need to do something.

Kenny
Member Avatar

With the exception of a few things here and there (mainly Maggie-related), nothing is working.

The show is unwatchable.

Kriss4

talbab1994
Oct 17 2010, 02:49 PM
I really believe that Days has over exposed EJ, Rafe, Sami, Chloe, Daniel, and Melaine to the hilt. It's old. For me, the whole EJ and Sami thing is like watching two abusers continue to abuse each other as often as they can. I find that, how the writers have written them both is awful. I'm not on any band wagon in terms of Sami and her men, but enough is enough. Get them out of each other's orbit for a while. That is one of many times I FF this show. Daniel, Chloe, Melanie, and even Phillip and Carly -- for me enough!!! It's not that I don't like or dislike any of them, it's that I'm tired of them and this whole storyline. I'm so very disappointed in the character in Carly. The writers have done such a poor job with her this go around. I think that these two storylines need to wrap up-- but see, that's the problem. The PTB at Days have kept these going and going and GOING until people have had more than enough and then we have to see on the cover of SOD that Corday has a plan to save Days. Mr. Corday, it doesn't take rocket science-- have a beginning, middle and end to a story.

I'm curious about how Bo and Hope will get back together. I think that both characters need to look inward and hopefully, the writers will go this route. Let them look at themselves and see what really happened-- blaming Bo, Carly or even Hope, isn't much of a storyline. It's a fight and frankly, I'm tired of it.

I like the friendship of Maggie and Victor. Both actors bring their 'A' game and it's nice to see that. I hope they continue this and I'm curious to see where this will go, storyline wise. I'm again disappointed in the character of Vivian. From one of the best vilianess to this is just plain sad. Brady needs to go to rehab and start with him again. He's a good guy but he needs those gray colors too. There's room for something like that in a character. Nicole needs another love interest.

I'm a Justin and Adrienne fan. For me, they are romance and romance is so needed in this show. BADLY!! I would love to see them more. I know that all of us watch soaps for different reasons. One of my reasons is the romance. It's an escape for me and I don't want to escape to Days anymore. I would rather find something else to do with my time. I really hope they can find some happy medium with this show. I know that they won't be able to please everyone but they really need to do something.
Yep. Overexposure of Sami/EJ/Rafe...but it would be tolerable if we hadn't already watched Sami in the Sami/Lucas/EJ triangle for so long. They try to tell me Rafe's the good guy, but I watched him use Nicole without any twinges of conscience, so it's tough for me to view him as the fella with the white hat. If he had to use her, then they should have at least shown him troubled over it, or questioning the rightness of it...does the end justify the means? That should have been something he was wondering about in his self-examination...but there WAS no self-examination, and in fact he came off as arrogant in the extreme when he admitted what he'd done to Nicole.

The fact is that none of them come off as particularly rootable, and that's a sad thing because a lot of viewers actually like the actors involved for the most part. But their story leaves the characters as rather unsympathetic at various times.

I've already commented on Bo and Hope, so I'll leave that one off.

Justin and Adrienne...Now there's some story with potential right there. They're divorced...they've been on the outs for awhile...but we're not sure why exactly...and it's so clear they still have unresolved feelings for each other. Wouldn't it be nice if that could be explored?

We could have two "new" love stories brewing...and wouldn't that be excellent?

Victor and Maggie-who'da thunk that one earlier this year?

And Justin and Adrienne? I'd like to see that.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

What's working? I tend to agree with everyone about the Magic of Magstor. I really think Brady and Nicole could have had potential, but something is missing. Hope in prison is intriguing, but I fear the end may fall flat.

Wayyyy too much and needs a vacation: SAMI, SAMI, SAMI, and MELAMEEEEEE

Arianna and EJ coulda been something good, but hell, no.

Needs a new partner stat! Philip

OliveAnn

WORKING:
-Victor's one-liners
-Stephanie, when she's bitchy and giving Victor a run for his money in the people-insulting department. Actingwise, the scenes in which she's talking to herself or acting mental are also good.
-Chandler Massey's acting
-"Ciara being bullied" storyline (a little realism on a normally extremely unrealistic show)
-Justin and Adrienne
-Kayla, especially in scenes with Stephanie, mostly because of Mary Beth Evans' and Shelley Hennig's acting
-Justin and Adrienne

MIGHT WORK
-the mystery surrounding Prisoner Lee and Warden Smith

NOT WORKING
-Chloe not being able to keep her legs closed
-Chloe getting pregnant. If the kid is Philip's, that's gonna be one of bigger stupidities in Days' recent history
-Melanie
-Stefano having ANOTHER child
-PRODUCT PLACEMENTS!
-Vivian being in a sarcophagus for days and not running out of air or needing to go to toilet
-Rafe/EJ/Sami
-Philip and Nathan's hair
-Philip and Melanie
-Arianne Zuker being wasted in the storyline she's in right now
-all the fuss over Ty Treadway. WE DON'T CARE!
-women being desperate to hold onto a man

This is just my opinion. No needd to start a war over it. We'll agree to disagree over certain things.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I think the basic elements are there. The show just needs to amp things up, which I expect to happen from November-Feburary. Based on how things have progressed since summer, it seems the show didn't map things out the way it did last year, probably because the stories they had coming into the Fall had to be changed or rewritten so they essentially had to build alot of things unlike last Fall where everything was in place for the most part. I think the show is fine but I think it will get even better in the next few weeks.

The other thing I think has to happen is the show needs to shift some pieces around in order to help build those demos back up, which has to be the focus. In the aftermath of this Chloe/Dan/etc story, young characters like Melanie, Nathan, and Stephanie need to do more then they are. I know people hate Melanie on here but having her become so boring and domesticated is just not her. Give her back her edge and make her funny again. Nathan is so under developed it's sad. Let's see him become more active. Stephanie has so much potential. Put her back with Philip and see where that goes. The audience seemed to embrace that much more.

I would shift Chloe into Brady and Nicole's orbit. Assuming they are bringing Eric back, have a dejected Brady turn to Chloe as he sees Nicole bond with Eric again. Hell, Brady is using Nicole anyway so have Nicole distance herself from him because of it and grow closer to Eric. A Chloe/Brady/Nicole/Eric story would be interesting, especially given Chloe and Nicole's friendship. I would just cut Daniel loose or pair him with Carly. I actually see more potential now in TT's character than I do in Daniel.

Finally develop a teen/20 something scene. Bring Abby back and have her and Will be central to that with Chad and Gabi. We need to see Chad and Gabi more too. The amount of screentime they get now is ridiculous.

Have EJ become a full villain and either give him a new love interest or make his Sami obsession the next Marlena/Stefano kind of story. At least that would make it more interesting, although part of me believes that ship has sailed so it may be better to just involve EJ with another love interest and bring Lucas back. A Lucas/Sami/Rafe story would be interesting given both are good guys.

Victor/Maggie and Stefano/Kate works. Perhaps have Vivian become involved with Stefano again after he learns of Kate's deception. Vivian can go to him for help when she is freed and it can all form from there.

As far as everything else, I would just leave it alone.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply