Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ken Barlow honored in New York
Topic Started: Oct 18 2010, 08:25 PM (440 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Coronation Street's William Roache is to be honoured at a Guinness World Records ceremony in New York next month.

The 78-year-old British actor - who has played Ken Barlow for almost 50 years after appearing in Corrie's first episode in December 1960 - will officially become the longest-serving actor in a TV soap on November 22.

Bill is set to overtake the current title holder, Don Hastings from American soap As The World Turns, who he will meet at the New York ceremony in November.

Bill first appeared as Ken on December 9, 1960 in Coronation Street's first ever episode.

Don played Bob Hughes in his CBS show since October 1960 without a break, but As The World Turns ended in September after 13,858 episodes, so Bill is now set to take the title and has already been entered into the Guinness Book of World Records.

Bill told Coronation Street's 50th anniversary magazine: "Guinness World Records have been in touch and want to fly me over to New York for some sort of ceremony with Don Hastings."

The soap star insisted he has no plans to retire, and spoke about how being in Corrie had improved his life.

He said: "I always say that, while I can still do it and while they still want me, retiring isn't an option.

"I've met the Queen on numerous occasions, I've been to Buckingham Palace, Downing Street and Chequers. I've played golf with top professionals and I've written two books. Those things have enriched my life."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iImrI_B_bbAP75VVpmLCgYEb_Xgw?docId=N0331971287401185683A
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply