Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: A Bittersweet Christmas in Salem
Topic Started: Dec 1 2010, 05:01 PM (2,829 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

This is from the print version of TV Guide. There was another pic of Doug, Julie, Jen and Ciara but its already posted in the Christmas pics thread.

Posted Image

A Bittersweet Christmas in Salem

GET OUT THOSE HANKIES. One of the most beloved traditions in soaps, the decorating of the Horton Christmas tree on Days of Our Lives, will be a lot less cheerful this year due to the death of two major family members, Mickey, last played by Kevin Dobson, was killed off by the writers in January. Then grande dame Alice passed away in June, several months after the death of actress Frances Reid, who portrayed the feisty matriarch since Days' debut in 1965. But Salem's premiere clan is determined to press on and make the best of the holidays.

"It was hard when we shot the Christmas episodes [airing December 24 and 27] because the Horton living room felt so empty," says fan fave Melissa Reeves, who recently returned to the soaps as Alice's granddaughter Jennifer Rose after a four year absence. "Bo and Hope are on the run. Jennifer's husband, Jack, is on a walkabout in Australia. Her kids are snowed in at Heathrow airport. But the few Hortons who are left - Doug, Julie, Maggie - are not going to break with tradition because of troubles and tribulations. They make sure every ornament is hung on the tree."

Many of those ornaments - each with the name of a family member - have been seen on the show for decades. "We've never broken one of them," says Reeves. "When the prop department brings out that box, it triggers so much emotion in all of us, especially this year, because we all miss Frances so much. We've kept her chair on the set - her place of honor- and none of us ever sits in it. I don't know that we ever will."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I was just going to post this because I got TVGuide in the mail.

Sounds great. I know this had to be difficult for them.

Kenny
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Dec 1 2010, 05:01 PM
"It was hard when we shot the Christmas episodes [airing December 24 and 27] because the Horton living room felt so empty," says fan fave Melissa Reeves, who recently returned to the soaps as Alice's granddaughter Jennifer Rose after a four year absence. "Bo and Hope are on the run. Jennifer's husband, Jack, is on a walkabout in Australia. Her kids are snowed in at Heathrow airport. But the few Hortons who are left - Doug, Julie, Maggie - are not going to break with tradition because of troubles and tribulations. They make sure every ornament is hung on the tree."
Well... a poor excuse is better than none.

Meanwhile, how are Doug, Julie and Maggie "the only Hortons left?" There are many Hortons out there who are still living -- the writers just don't care enough to bring them back.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Kenny
Dec 1 2010, 05:07 PM
dc cubs
Well... a poor excuse is better than none.

Meanwhile, how are Doug, Julie and Maggie "the only Hortons left?" There are many Hortons out there who are still living -- the writers just don't care enough to bring them back.
yep

supermanfan85
Member Avatar

awww how sad!

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Jax Teller♥

You know what they should really do since there are such few Hortons this year. When each of the 4 Hortons in the xmas epi goes up to put an ornament up on the tree they should flashback to when Alice gave that ornament to that person. Obviously it'll be hard with Bill and some of the recasted characters but an attempt should be made to do some at least.

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

Bo and Hope on the run what did Bo bust Hope out of jail or something?

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

dc cubs
This is from the print version of TV Guide. There was another pic of Doug, Julie, Jen and Ciara but its already posted in the Christmas pics thread.

A Bittersweet Christmas in Salem

GET OUT THOSE HANKIES. One of the most beloved traditions in soaps, the decorating of the Horton Christmas tree on Days of Our Lives, will be a lot less cheerful this year due to the death of two major family members, Mickey, last played by Kevin Dobson, was killed off by the writers in January. Then grande dame Alice passed away in June, several months after the death of actress Frances Reid, who portrayed the feisty matriarch since Days' debut in 1965. But Salem's premiere clan is determined to press on and make the best of the holidays.

Many of those ornaments - each with the name of a family member - have been seen on the show for decades. "We've never broken one of them," says Reeves. "When the prop department brings out that box, it triggers so much emotion in all of us, especially this year, because we all miss Frances so much. We've kept her chair on the set - her place of honor- and none of us ever sits in it. I don't know that we ever will."

maggie and doug consider in the Horton family by marriage

only by blood on is Julie jennifer

and reat on show
hope,nathan will and allie
Edited by Partnersincrime, Dec 1 2010, 05:25 PM.

Ellie

Thanks for posting! This is ridiculous. It's legitimately very sad that Frances is not there. However, the writers killed off Mickey and chose to remove B&H from this episode. That's sad in a very different way, but certainly not in the same category as Frances's absence.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Virgo Twins
Dec 1 2010, 05:21 PM
yep... pretty much. :D

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

No Nathan or Will at least? :huh1:

lene
Member Avatar

I totally forgot about JJ and Abby.. didn't even cross my mind that maybe they would come home for x-mas... LOL...

MarvinPepper
Member Avatar

Bo and Hope on the run. What an awesome Christmas present. :)

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Kenny
Dec 1 2010, 05:07 PM
I think she just meant on the show. I think Melissa, Bill, Marie, and Laura should've been home for the holiday's.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Doug, Julie, Maggie and Jennifer aren't the only Hortons. There better be a damn good reason why Will, Allie and Nathan aren't invovled in the decorating tradition.

How old is JJ supposed to be? It seems like Abby is coming onto the show as a late-teen, college age girl. JJ should be around Theo's age. Why does Abby have him at the airport? Where have they been this entire time?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jennifer mentioned Abby was doing a semester in Spain or something and JJ was in boarding school. I guess they can always say that they both took flights to visit Jack and were supposed to come from seeing him to Salem but got stuck at the airport.

Taelyn

That theo never grows up.. He was close to 5 i think when JJ was born.. he is the only child that NEVER
ages.. truly wierd..
But I agree, They should have atleast a visit from Will and Allie.. Will should be the one to hang Lucas and their own ornaments.
And I cant see any reason for Nathan not being there,, even if he goes to the Brasy's and the Hortons

Sindacco

Taelyn
Dec 2 2010, 10:22 AM
That theo never grows up.. He was close to 5 i think when JJ was born.. he is the only child that NEVER
ages.. truly wierd..
No it's not weird because it's not true. Theo was born in 2003, Jack Jr was born in 2004.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Virgo Twins
From Bo's talk with that woman from the prison yesterday ,sounds like he will

AmyJo

Supergirlx2
Dec 1 2010, 05:38 PM
Virgo Twins
yep... pretty much. :D
It's about damn time!!! :cheer:
Edited by AmyJo, Dec 2 2010, 09:49 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply