Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2010 Writers Guild of America Nominations Announced; ATWT, GH & OLTL Get Noms
Topic Started: Dec 8 2010, 01:45 PM (1,269 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

http://soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Quote:

Writers Guild Awards Nominations
The Writers Guild of America, East and the Writers Guild of America, West have announced nominations for outstanding achievement in television, news, radio, promotional writing, and graphic animation during the 2010 season. The 2011 Writers Guild Awards will be presented on Feb. 5, 2011 in New York and Los Angeles.

The nominees in the Daytime Serial category are:
AS THE WORLD TURNS
GENERAL HOSPITAL
ONE LIFE TO LIVE
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

no surprise dool didnt get a nom...

lastDays
Member Avatar

No surprise ATWT (sympathy nomination) .Days not getting one(writing sucks)

Suprise : OLTL,arguably the worst soap in daytime

Paul8148

GH I assuming summited Sonny shooting Dante and ATWT Holden's Funeral. Wonder want OLTL summited, because they had execellent choices.

Mason
Member Avatar

lastDays
Dec 8 2010, 03:27 PM
Nope, that would be DAYS or Y&R.

Checkers
Member Avatar

So glad Y&R didn't get nominated. They don't deserve it at all. They're still number one though...

~bl~
Member Avatar

This is based on one or two episodes/scripts only. I wonder what the submitted episodes were.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

same old, same old

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

IMO the nominations should have been AMC, B&B, & OLTL. I'm curious what all the submitted episodes were, to.

Deleted User
Deleted User

AllmyDaysatGh
Dec 8 2010, 06:38 PM
IMO the nominations should have been AMC, B&B, & OLTL. I'm curious what all the submitted episodes were, to.
Switch Days for OLTL and I'd agree with you. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days can write GOLD and still not be nominated. It always gets screwed for this, not to mention the WGA is probably going to ignore Days based on what happened during the 2008 writer's strike with Higley.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Mason
Dec 8 2010, 03:30 PM
lastDays
I agree with that.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Mason
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8457903&t=8414956
lastDays

Zoe_Zeppelin
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8458074&t=8414956
Mason
lastDays
I agree with that.

I don't get all the DAYS hate on this board. I get the feeling you all must have been in love with JER's DAYS (mostly sucked, save Eileen Davidson). IMO, DAYS is the best show on the air right now.

Mason
Member Avatar

juniorz1
Dec 8 2010, 10:35 PM
I don't get all the DAYS hate on this board. I get the feeling you all must have been in love with JER's DAYS
I loved JER's first run, yes, but what does that have to do with anything?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

juniorz1
Mason
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8457903&t=8414956
lastDays

Zoe_Zeppelin
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8458074&t=8414956
Mason
lastDays
I agree with that.

I don't get all the DAYS hate on this board. I get the feeling you all must have been in love with JER's DAYS (mostly sucked, save Eileen Davidson). IMO, DAYS is the best show on the air right now.
Not sure if it's just that but I do agree in not getting the hate.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I'm not surprised by these nominations. For some reason, the Writers Guild loves ATWT and OLTL.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Mason
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8458197&t=8414956
juniorz1
I don't get all the DAYS hate on this board. I get the feeling you all must have been in love with JER's DAYS

This DAYS is very different from JER's version was the point I was making. Quite honestly, the DAYS of now is much closer to the show that I grew up watching from the early 80s until JER's run. While I did enjoy some of his stories, most notably the Marlena/John/Kristen triangle, I felt DAYS drastically changed under his pen and not for the better. Characters were molded to fit story, not vice versa, many of whom lost their brains completely. Characters that I grew up with, such as Marlena, Hope, Bo, Roman, John, Jennifer, and Jack, were written as shells of their former selves. It was all shock value and awe, the acting was downgraded, and the day-to-day writing was repetitive and sophomoric at best.

However, it brought in droves of viewers and a whole new generation of DAYS fans was born, which is not a bad thing. But in daytime, everything is cyclical and the DAYS writing is back to that of a traditional soap now, as it was pre-JER. I can see why fans who started watching DAYS during his first run and stayed with it since wouldn't be compelled to watch what is on their screens today.

Having said that, as a long-time viewer, I think DAYS is pretty damn fantastic right now and probably in the best condition I've seen it since my early days of watching, from 82-87. It's not perfect, but I feel it's far more character-driven now than it's been in years and that characters are much more fleshed out and three dimensional than they have been in a long time.

There is a nice balance of traditional soap, like the Daniel/Chloe/Philip saga and Nicole/EJ/Sami/Rafe drama, and campier, more fun elements, like Vivian's schenanigans. Storylines have twists that are actually surprising, past characters like Anna and Jennifer are being brought back and properly utilized, and vets that have been long ignored, like Maggie and Victor, have been brought to the forefront and are engaging. Characters I've despised under previous regimes, Lauren Koslow's Kate being a prime example, I'm actually starting to like and are interesting to watch, instead of doing the same thing over and over and over again. Being obsessed with your children and ensuring their happiness at all costs does not make for an attractive or entertaining character. And while I preferred Sami as a bitch, how many times could we watch Ali Sweeney play the same friggin beats of the same friggin storylines? Like it or not, it's nice that they're doing something different with the character while still maintaining somewhat of an edge in her.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Deidre Hall and Marlena- she was my favorite for years, but it got to a point where her character was played out and the writing for her became forced. I'd rather she be rested, or even retired, than watch her play out idiotic story after idiotic story.

It's not perfect by any means, but I bet the cast is just THRILLED to be getting the kind of writing for their characters that they are as opposed to what they'd become accustomed to over the past 15 years. It clearly shows in their performances. I certainly think they deserved a WGA nomination this year and I sincerely hope at the very least DAYS gets Emmy noms for Best Writing and Best Show. Frankly, for the first time in a LONG while, I think they deserve the win.

Edited by juniorz1, Dec 9 2010, 02:04 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

juniorz1
Dec 9 2010, 02:01 AM
Mason
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8458197&t=8414956
juniorz1

This DAYS is very different from JER's version was the point I was making. Quite honestly, the DAYS of now is much closer to the show that I grew up watching from the early 80s until JER's run. While I did enjoy some of his stories, most notably the Marlena/John/Kristen triangle, I felt DAYS drastically changed under his pen and not for the better. Characters were molded to fit story, not vice versa, many of whom lost their brains completely. Characters that I grew up with, such as Marlena, Hope, Bo, Roman, John, Jennifer, and Jack, were written as shells of their former selves. It was all shock value and awe, the acting was downgraded, and the day-to-day writing was repetitive and sophomoric at best.

However, it brought in droves of viewers and a whole new generation of DAYS fans was born, which is not a bad thing. But in daytime, everything is cyclical and the DAYS writing is back to that of a traditional soap now, as it was pre-JER. I can see why fans who started watching DAYS during his first run and stayed with it since wouldn't be compelled to watch what is on their screens today.

Having said that, as a long-time viewer, I think DAYS is pretty damn fantastic right now and probably in the best condition I've seen it since my early days of watching, from 82-87. It's not perfect, but I feel it's far more character-driven now than it's been in years and that characters are much more fleshed out and three dimensional than they have been in a long time.

There is a nice balance of traditional soap, like the Daniel/Chloe/Philip saga and Nicole/EJ/Sami/Rafe drama, and campier, more fun elements, like Vivian's schenanigans. Storylines have twists that are actually surprising, past characters like Anna and Jennifer are being brought back and properly utilized, and vets that have been long ignored, like Maggie and Victor, have been brought to the forefront and are engaging. Characters I've despised under previous regimes, Lauren Koslow's Kate being a prime example, I'm actually starting to like and are interesting to watch, instead of doing the same thing over and over and over again. Being obsessed with your children and ensuring their happiness at all costs does not make for an attractive or entertaining character. And while I preferred Sami as a bitch, how many times could we watch Ali Sweeney play the same friggin beats of the same friggin storylines? Like it or not, it's nice that they're doing something different with the character while still maintaining somewhat of an edge in her.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Deidre Hall and Marlena- she was my favorite for years, but it got to a point where her character was played out and the writing for her became forced. I'd rather she be rested, or even retired, than watch her play out idiotic story after idiotic story.

It's not perfect by any means, but I bet the cast is just THRILLED to be getting the kind of writing for their characters that they are as opposed to what they'd become accustomed to over the past 15 years. It clearly shows in their performances. I certainly think they deserved a WGA nomination this year and I sincerely hope at the very least DAYS gets Emmy noms for Best Writing and Best Show. Frankly, for the first time in a LONG while, I think they deserve the win.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mason
Member Avatar

Quote:

This DAYS is very different from JER's version was the point I was making.

I actually feel that this DAYS is very similar to JER. There are a lot of the same elements: triangles all over the place, secrets, outrageous storylines (i.e. the sarcophagus)...except without all of the suspense that made DAYS in the 90s so great, even when all of the storylines seemed like they were taking forever to reach their climaxes. In other words, this is what I feel JER's first go-around would have been like if it was boring.

Quote:

Characters were molded to fit story, not vice versa, many of whom lost their brains completely. Characters that I grew up with, such as Marlena, Hope, Bo, Roman, John, Jennifer, and Jack, were written as shells of their former selves. It was all shock value and awe, the acting was downgraded, and the day-to-day writing was repetitive and sophomoric at best.

LoL, you pretty much described how I feel about the show now.

Quote:

I still don't understand what this has to do with JER, though. There are some fans who loved his work who are enjoying the show now and conversely some fans who hated his work who also hate the show now. It's not just people who loved JER 93-97 who hate the show now at all. I'm just not seeing the correlation.

Quote:

I have to disagree. I tried watching DAYS as recently as a couple of weeks ago and I was bored silly. I don't know how people who are still watching the show do it, because it's just that boring. Not to mention the production values are terrible, the writing is lackluster, most of the acting is not good. I don't feel that it's character-driven at all. These writers are changing characters to fit the plot all the time (Caroline, Chloe, the list goes on). Most of the characters are not interesting to me, and that includes characters that I've traditionally loved. And while I appreciate that characters are being used prominently when they haven't been in a while, the way that they've been used is stupid. And, to me, that's just as bad as not using them at all.

And, for the record, I'm not just 'hating' on DAYS. I think all the soaps are pretty terrible right now, LoL.
Edited by Mason, Dec 9 2010, 12:05 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 9 2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:

This DAYS is very different from JER's version was the point I was making.

I actually feel that this DAYS is very similar to JER. There are a lot of the same elements: triangles all over the place, secrets, outrageous storylines (i.e. the sarcophagus)...except without all of the suspense that made DAYS in the 90s so great, even when all of the storylines seemed like they were taking forever to reach their climaxes. In other words, this is what I feel JER's first go-around would have been like if it was boring.

Quote:

Characters were molded to fit story, not vice versa, many of whom lost their brains completely. Characters that I grew up with, such as Marlena, Hope, Bo, Roman, John, Jennifer, and Jack, were written as shells of their former selves. It was all shock value and awe, the acting was downgraded, and the day-to-day writing was repetitive and sophomoric at best.

LoL, you pretty much described how I feel about the show now.

Quote:

I still don't understand what this has to do with JER, though. There are some fans who loved his work who are enjoying the show now and conversely some fans who hated his work who also hate the show now. It's not just people who loved JER 93-97 who hate the show now at all. I'm just not seeing the correlation.

Quote:

I have to disagree. I tried watching DAYS as recently as a couple of weeks ago and I was bored silly. I don't know how people who are still watching the show do it, because it's just that boring. Not to mention the production values are terrible, the writing is lackluster, most of the acting is not good. I don't feel that it's character-driven at all. These writers are changing characters to fit the plot all the time (Caroline, Chloe, the list goes on). Most of the characters are not interesting to me, and that includes characters that I've traditionally loved. And while I appreciate that characters are being used prominently when they haven't been in a while, the way that they've been used is stupid. And, to me, that's just as bad as not using them at all.

And, for the record, I'm not just 'hating' on DAYS. I think all the soaps are pretty terrible right now, LoL.
Agreed, Mason. It feels to me Dena is trying her darndest to write like JER (minus the supernatural element) and we're winding up with trite storylines, character shells instead of characters, and just plain silliness. Little romance, little shock, and even less suspense.

She brought back Vivian, but instead of Vivian being the wonderful villian she was before, she's a shell of her former self and only adds ridiculousness to the show. I mean, I love Vivian, but where's the villianness?? And Chloe. She had such depth as a character, but now she's been turned into a homewrecking sl*t. Caroline's gone bonkers, Kate and Sami have a truce?!, Sami just sits back and lets Rafe take care of her, and Bo turned his back on his wife of how many years with barely a glance backwards. There is barely a character on the show that I recognize.

And basically every storyline that Dena's done over the past few years I could point to a JER storyline that it was ripped from, but was executed 10X better.

Now, I am probably one of JER's biggest supporters out there (I loved his DOOL years and Passions, what can I say), but I've loved other writers too. Just not Dena. Though I admit the storylines feel like they're starting to pick up. Although I quit watching after Ari's death so....

But these are my views. I've read many a person on here who hated JER and were deliriously happy when he wasn't on the show.
Edited by blueskies, Dec 9 2010, 12:21 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply