Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting SOD Tidbits; 12/21/10 Issue
Topic Started: Dec 9 2010, 12:34 AM (2,218 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wasn't sure where to put this since one is about ABC and one is vague. Anyway, these are from the "Stuff We Know and Shouldn't Tell You" section of SOD (the tidbit about Days has already been posted in the Days forum).

-This show is headed for some MAJOR (and we mean MAJOR) cast cuts in 2011.

-Fans of one ABC duo are in for an unhappy New Year; sources say that the show's plan is to move full steam ahead with a controversial triangle.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Dec 9 2010, 12:35 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sungrey

I think the major cast cuts is either Y&R or AMC. We've been told the renewal of Days wasn't going to come with a huge slashing of the budget, which is good unless someone is lying at NBC/Universal.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

It's All My Children definitely. I hope they don't cut Lucci.
Edited by Casey, Dec 9 2010, 12:39 AM.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

The show that needs cast cutting is Y&R as they have a very large cast of contract and recurring actors. However, that's been the problem for a long time so I don't see them changing things now. So I don't think its them. I wonder if the show that will have the cuts will do a serial killer type of storyline.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Dec 9 2010, 12:36 AM
I think the major cast cuts is either Y&R or AMC. We've been told the renewal of Days wasn't going to come with a huge slashing of the budget, which is good unless someone is lying at NBC/Universal.
I doubt it's Y&R. I don't see it yet as they've maintained their numbers for the most.

I think the emphasis of the word "major" means it's a soap that has avoided major cuts. I think it HAS to be GH. GH spent a ton of money in the past 18 months between the carnival in September 2009, Franco's two stints and the location shoot last summer, bringing back Vanessa Marcil, all the heavy promotion, etc all the while they've crashed and burned number-wise since Marcil returned. They've avoided cuts for awhile but given how GH continues to keep it's production values up and given how large the cast is, I can't see it not being them.

Also, it's been reported GH is doing another epic disaster story at the end of the year. I would bet that will be the way they clear out the cast.

I think the controversial triangle has to do with GH too. Perhaps, Sonny/Brenda/Dante?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

So..was it ever confirmed that Genie Francis is returning for sure?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Casey
Dec 9 2010, 12:45 AM
Just a rumor. Honestly, I didn't really see it posted in many places. I do recall reading that GF has been asked and said she hasn't been asked.

I think Guza just hates L&L. I've had that sense for years, despite Genie's return a few years ago and their subsequent wedding. The show has done everything to basically shit all over L&L over the past few years.

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

Quote:

-Fans of one ABC duo are in for an unhappy New Year; sources say that the show's plan is to move full steam ahead with a controversial triangle.

I just hope this isn't about Bo & Nora. I'm glad that they have a SL but if it involves Inez I'll just scream. LOL! Hopefully it's about John and Natalie, or Jessica and Brody.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

PhoenixRising05
Dec 9 2010, 12:50 AM
Casey
Dec 9 2010, 12:45 AM
Just a rumor. Honestly, I didn't really see it posted in many places. I do recall reading that GF has been asked and said she hasn't been asked.

I think Guza just hates L&L. I've had that sense for years, despite Genie's return a few years ago and their subsequent wedding. The show has done everything to basically shit all over L&L over the past few years.
Ugh. Screw Guza. :flipoff: Laura's return was the only thing I was looking forward too.

Drew
Member Avatar

Y&R just got renewed, and we heard nothing about the budget concessions. I imagine its them. They have a large and tenured cast. AMC is 90% cheap newbies.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Dec 9 2010, 12:34 AM
I get the feeling this one *could* be Madison/Frankie/Randi on AMC. Frankie/Randi are pretty popular, very underused right now but with Madison being pregnant...there's still that suspicion that the baby could be Frankie's and not Ryan's, and AMC is going to shift into that in the new year. SG (Madison) has been tweeting lately that people will be surprised by Madison in the future or something like that. I could be totally off base about this, but it's my guess. I for one love Frankie/Madison and would love if AMC went ahead with the triangle. I also know a lot of Frandi fans who will be pissed about it to!!

Other triangle could be Liz/Jason/Sam, I heard that Steve (Jason) and Becky (Liz) have started taping again together recently (YAY!!) so who knows...

eta: forgot to say TFP, Phoenix.
Edited by AllmyDaysatGh, Dec 9 2010, 01:35 AM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Drew
Dec 9 2010, 01:00 AM
Y&R just got renewed, and we heard nothing about the budget concessions. I imagine its them. They have a large and tenured cast. AMC is 90% cheap newbies.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that I read that they got a pretty straight-forward deal, with no budget cuts or licensing fee issues.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

AllmyDaysatGh
Dec 9 2010, 01:34 AM
PhoenixRising05
I get the feeling this one *could* be Madison/Frankie/Randi on AMC. Frankie/Randi are pretty popular, very underused right now but with Madison being pregnant...there's still that suspicion that the baby could be Frankie's and not Ryan's, and AMC is going to shift into that in the new year. SG (Madison) has been tweeting lately that people will be surprised by Madison in the future or something like that. I could be totally off base about this, but it's my guess. I for one love Frankie/Madison and would love if AMC went ahead with the triangle. I also know a lot of Frandi fans who will be pissed about it to!!

Other triangle could be Liz/Jason/Sam, I heard that Steve (Jason) and Becky (Liz) have started taping again together recently (YAY!!) so who knows...

What would be controversial about Liz/Jason/Sam right now?

With Frankie and Madison, would they be controversial for any reason but the interracial aspect? Is that still controversial in this day and age?

Manny
Member Avatar

The first soap that came to my mind for those big cuts is GH for some reason.

CarlD2

Back in 2008 I think MAB or another of the geniuses at Y&R talked about not having any cuts, but they came the next year. The main problem is they would get rid of all the wrong people. There is so much dead weight at Y&R, and the show just keeps throwing cash at more former names or other soap stars to try to hide the rot.

GH has a ton of people just hanging around. Some of them long ago ceased to have a purpose, like Dante's old cop friend, Ronnie. I imagine they are just there until it's time to have a body count for Scwhetty Balls 2.0.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I could see the triangle being Sonny/Brenda/Dante. Sonny/Brenda have a huge fan base and Dante is the new favorite of Guza. I could see the whole show revolving around this.

Could also see the cast cuts at Gh as well. Problem is that they would probably cut the characters I actually like instead if people related to Sonny and Jason. Although if major was in all caps then I could see it being a show like Y&R or AMC and a major person is cut in the lines a couple of years ago when John/Marlena were let go from Days.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

For some reason I can't see the GH cast cuts as MAJOR unless it means they fire Tony Geary or Maurice Benard or Steve Burton. It seems like GH has a ton of money they could cut on sets and other production things though, but that money-wise this BI is focused on cast. I mean if they fire people like Carolyn Hennesy or Kirsten Storms, well, that blows way more for me as a fan than if the mobsters-in-chief got fired, but I don't see how that's MAJOR.

I took that MAJOR as in MAJOR to mean that older, more well-paid actors are about to be pushed out. In that case it could even be OLTL losing Viki or Dorian or AMC losing La Lucci or even B&B losing some folks.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Dec 9 2010, 03:09 AM
AllmyDaysatGh
Dec 9 2010, 01:34 AM
PhoenixRising05

What would be controversial about Liz/Jason/Sam right now?

With Frankie and Madison, would they be controversial for any reason but the interracial aspect? Is that still controversial in this day and age?
Liason/JaSam would be controversial to me just because both pairings are still debated on so much and either one would cause an uproar with fans if the other starts to get explored again.

Frankie/Madison, not the interracial factor but just the fact that they have been acting like friends this whole time and that's how AMC has been perceiving them, and hinting at the same time that they could be more. I see the show amping things up and revealing they had sex the night of Caleb's party. That will rattle the Frandi fans who have been upset that their couple hasn't been getting screen time or had a baby yet. Now they will be getting more, but with another woman in place, and a baby to. I think that could generate a lot of drama.

I get the speculation about Sonny/Brenda/Dante, but wow what about Lulu? I don't like them as much now, but I know there are a LOT of people who love Lulu/Dante as a couple.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

I think the show undergoing major cast cuts will be GH. Y&R's renewal deal came with no budget cuts, even though that could change I doubt they would be hinting at cast cuts already. OLTL is full of newbies and I don't see it being B&B, so I will just bet on it being AMC or GH.

GH is bloated as hell and could easily drop at least 6-8 contract cast members.

timepass
Member Avatar

It's GH I read that spoilers on another site. The November sweeps where a disaster for GH and it's at this time of year that pub / money is set.

They never really cut before; it's their time. Finding GH at the bottom of the list must be an aye opener to Luza!

Y&R did their cut last year. It was well publicized.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply