Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Corrie and EE both faced a viewers' backlash yesterday
Topic Started: Jan 4 2011, 05:45 AM (2,374 Views)
Michael Baldwin
Member Avatar
EE fan

CORONATION Street and EastEnders BOTH faced a viewers' backlash yesterday - after their New Year storylines sparked outrage.
The BBC got more than TWO THOUSAND complaints over its gruesome cot death and baby snatch on Albert Square, TV Biz can reveal.

Meanwhile fans of ITV1's Corrie blasted lesbian scenes - including a steamy snog - as over the top.

Beeb chiefs claimed they were unable to release official figures for those disgusted by Ronnie Branning, played by Samantha Womack, swapping her dead baby for Kat Moon's. But insiders confirmed to TV Biz that the corporation was swamped. The shock episode featuring distraught Ronnie - pictured with screen hubby Jack (Scott Maslen) - went out on New Year's Eve.

Viewers who flocked on to the internet to slam the plot said they were "appalled" - with some claiming bosses made it look like mums who lost children to cot death were criminals.

One raged: "Easily the sickest storyline the BBC has sunk to so far. Sensationalising cot death is revolting.

"Shame on you BBC for using other people's devastating pain to boost your viewing figures."

Another wrote: "I cannot believe that the writers would do this to Ronnie - after everything she has gone through.

"Having been an avid EastEnders fan for years, I will no longer watch it."

Meanwhile, Corrie fans claimed ITV was trying to "glamorise" lesbianism.

One, horrified at the kiss between actresses Brooke Vincent and Sacha Parkinson, accused the show of using "two pretty teenagers that young girls will look up to".

Back at the Beeb, viewers were again upset by Matt Lucas and David Walliams' new comedy Come Fly With Me.

More than 70 complaints were received over the first showing, on Christmas Day. And a source said even more came in over the New Year's Day episode.

Scenes where religious coffee shop girl Precious Little was seen stealing cups to get out of work led to claims that all Christians were being branded as thieves.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3329005/Coronation-Street-and-EastEnders-face-viewer-backlash-over-New-Year-plots.html
Edited by Michael Baldwin, Jan 4 2011, 05:46 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

These people need to get lives. No one is forcing them to watch if the subject matter offends them. They're only television shows, not reality...

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Y&RWorldTurner
Jan 4 2011, 06:15 AM
These people need to get lives. No one is forcing them to watch if the subject matter offends them. They're only television shows, not reality...
AMEN! Wouldn't it be nice to have some TV shows be your biggest problem?

Manny
Member Avatar

Like I said on another forum regarding this... so this is SAD to them? Should soaps then stop writing about illness and death? Those are sad topics too... I mean, come on, people!

CarlD2

If people want to start complaining about stories on British soaps that involve babies, then it's time to start complaining about stories where perfectly intelligent women become unhinged and lose all purpose in order to obsess over children. I can't count how many characters have been destroyed through this lazy writing.

I wonder how many of those who complained even watched the episodes.

The hysteria over the Corrie stuff is a reminder of why ITV treats gays as asexual. Why am I not surprised there were no complaints over the sleazy trash with David/Tracy/Nick.
Edited by CarlD2, Jan 4 2011, 10:56 AM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

I was rolling my eyes by some of the comments about EE on Facebook. One bitch said, "This is so not something that would happen in real life.", No Shit dumbass. It's a fucking soap, you think people murder each other, sleep with half the town is a regular occurence?

As for the lesbian scene, it was probably a bunch of ugly wives who were upset their husbands were enjoying it.

Michael Baldwin
Member Avatar
EE fan

darraholic
Jan 4 2011, 11:53 AM
As for the lesbian scene, it was probably a bunch of ugly wives who were upset their husbands were enjoying it.

:hail:

I laughed for ten minutes on this sentence :D

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Where is this facebook page with the morons?

Michael Baldwin
Member Avatar
EE fan

Drew
Jan 4 2011, 12:23 PM
Where is this facebook page with the morons?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/EastEnders/199068478108

darraholic
Member Avatar

I just told them to STFU lol http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/BBC-EastEnders/169383494938

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

LOL. Now they want to "report" you.

darraholic
Member Avatar

LMAO. These bitches are fucking crazy.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I went to that link but I can't find your comment. Where is it?
Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

Filter to just "Others"

That bitch Becky Fletcher deleted her comment.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Becky Fletcher-Gerrard God, there are some low lifes out there!! How can n e 1 in their right mind find dead baby jokes funny?? Its sick & disgusting & the ppl need reporting!!!!

This woman needs to be shot.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I made a comment. These are the complaints they're caring about? These retards don't even know what a vowel is!
Edited by Drew, Jan 4 2011, 01:08 PM.

darraholic
Member Avatar

DREW tht is sew meen. I thnk we shud al rport him.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

This is obviously a campaign of some sort originating from somewhere. Too many people using the same phrases and tactics, like reporting.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Does the BBC freak out over major complaints? I'd hate to see this storyline get rushed and put to an end over a bunch of cows.

Michael Baldwin
Member Avatar
EE fan

Those busy bees dealing with complaints at the BBC will have been hard at work this week.

EastEnders has received a whopping 3,400 complaints over its baby swap storyline, which saw Ronnie lose her son to cot death before swapping him with Kat's live newborn.

It's the most controversial 'Enders plot since Danielle was killed in a car crash moments after Ronnie discovered she was her daughter. The teenager's premature death prompted more than 7,000 objections from viewers.

Show bosses have defended the latest contentious plot.

Executive producer Bryan Kirkwood said: "We appreciate this is a challenging storyline and have taken care to ensure viewers were aware of the content in advance of transmission.

"We also provided actionline numbers at the end of each show, offering advice and support to those affected by the issues."

Viewers have been registering their complaints since November, and lobby groups are thought to account for some of the figures.

Posted Image

http://holysoap.five.tv/eastenders/news/thousands-complain-over-plot-11679?section=whatsnew

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply