Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Paul Marquess Replaced/Leaving Hollyoaks
Topic Started: Jan 6 2011, 10:16 AM (1,023 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a296375/hollyoaks-announces-new-producer.html

Quote:

'Hollyoaks' announces new producer
Thursday, January 6 2011, 14:27 GMT
By Daniel Kilkelly, Soaps Editor

Hollyoaks script editor Gareth Philips has been promoted as the soap's acting producer, succeeding Paul Marquess following his 12-month stint at the helm of the show.

Philips - who joined the programme's production team last year - will work alongside executive producers Carolyn Reynolds and Tony Wood as Hollyoaks undergoes further transformation in the year ahead.

Speaking of his new role, Philips commented: "I have really enjoyed working in the script team at Hollyoaks and it will be a huge honour to take the reins of Channel 4's flagship youth drama.

"I am very excited about taking the show even further this year with more compelling and brave stories."

Marquess, meanwhile, is leaving the role of series producer at Hollyoaks but will continue to work with production company Lime Pictures on a number of other shows.

In a statement, Marquess said: "When I agreed to give up my life for a year to run a soap again, I never thought it would fly by so quickly. It's now the right time to hand over Hollyoaks and I'm looking forward to new projects."

Since replacing Lucy Allan in January 2010, Marquess has instigated a number of changes at the teen soap, writing out several characters and unveiling new signings to take their places, including Sheree Murphy (Eva Strong), Kim Tiddy (Heidi Costello), Emmett Scanlan (Brendan Brady), Alex Fletcher (Diane O'Connor) and Stephanie Davis (Sinead O'Connor).

Ste and Brendan's dark relationship, Jasmine's transgender struggle, the devastating Il Gnosh fire and a new serial killer plot are among the storylines which have been overseen by Marquess.

Discussing the changeover, Carolyn Reynolds said: "I'd like to thank Paul Marquess for all he has done for Hollyoaks in the last 12 months. It's been great working with him again and we look forward to embarking on new projects.

"We're also delighted to be working with Gareth Philips. He's a very talented storyteller and this is a very exciting appointment for Hollyoaks."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

I don't know how much difference this is going to make. Philips will be inheriting a wasteland that's already been damaged too heavily. For some reason, I think Marquess was replaced, and they're trying to word this amicably as possible.

At least this new guy hasn't been a producer before, in many ways, it's a blank slate. However, if he thinks Marquess has done a good job and wants to continue things in a similar fashion, then nothing will be all that different.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Y&RWorldTurner
Jan 6 2011, 10:16 AM
I don't know how much difference this is going to make. Philips will be inheriting a wasteland that's already been damaged too heavily. For some reason, I think Marquess was replaced, and they're trying to word this amicably as possible.

At least this new guy hasn't been a producer before, in many ways, it's a blank slate. However, if he thinks Marquess has done a good job and wants to continue things in a similar fashion, then nothing will be all that different.
Hopefully this new guy was just being polite.
Quote Post Goto Top

CarlD2

I do wonder what to think here -- Marquess hasn't been a soap producer in ten years and went on to shows like The Bill, so perhaps he really was only going back for a brief time. But he never gave any hint in previous interviews of only staying for a year. Only a few days ago his interview came out talking about plans for 2012!

The show has been a mess for months - at the time I wondered if all the reshooting of the fire episodes, having to write the Sharpes out in a hurry and months of story being dumped, was going to take a toll. Could he be leaving because of this?

I still think there's some hope for Hollyoaks. They have a good family in the McQueens, and although I don't really care for him, Brendan seems to be a fan favorite. The story with Jason also seems to be getting interest.

This is what I would do immediately:

Write out all the O'Connors but Sinead

Write out all the Costellos but Jason and Mitzeee

Get rid of Teencop.

Come up with better comedy stories for Lee or get rid of him.

Kill Cheryl now. Silas can dispose of her.

Break up Ste and Brendan for good and move them into separate stories.

Figure out what to do with Carmel and Theresa.

Send Gilly, Frankie, Tom, and Duncan away to a new life. Have Gilly and Frankie get together. I don't care. I think Jack is still an important part of Hollyoaks and I would like to see him alone again with Darren.

Kill Mandy if they can't come up with a good story for her.

Have Ricky vanish - who cares?

Make Jacqui, Amy and Nancy lead heroines.

Give Texas a big love/hate romance, one that builds over time.

Have Myra inherit millions and millions and use that to further storylines.

Age Bart to at least 20. He is ridiculous as a 15/6 year old and that makes the whole Jason story seem less believable.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

AWESOME NEWS :) Let us pray that this new guy is good.

CarlD2

I have always felt very out of sync regarding Marquess and HO because so many at places like Digital Spy adored him and thought most of his run was wonderful. To me it's been a lot of misfires, some good stuff yes, but also a lot of wasted opportunities.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

I thought he was okay at first. I started watching in the summer and Hollyoaks was my favorite of the british soaps. But sometime in the fall the show really turned for the worse.

Drew
Member Avatar

Meh. He certainly wasnt any worse than the last producer. He was just hit and miss (something Kirkwood was as well). I think his undoing was the mass intro of too many characters and families at once and not enough attention given to developing them all. If all the attention was going to be given to the Costellos (who I think they absolutely should keep!) and the Freshers, why did we need the Sharpes & O'Connors?

We'll see tho how well or awfully this will work out when whoever ends up actually taking the Series Producer job is announced and starts making plans.

CarlD2

I think he was better than Lucy Allan, but not enough to warrant all the expense that must have been incurred with the reshoots, or the fire, which wasn't even necessary...Steph could have died in hospital or left town before passing away (like Laura on Knots Landing), and Malachy could have returned to Ireland with Lyndsey. It's not like his death had any impact, since Mercedes moved on to father and son in about a week.

I think Kirkwood was very uneven and I still am let down by some of what he did in 2008 (especially with John Paul and Niall and poor Kieron).

Marquess seemed to have an idea of where he wanted stories to go, which Allan and later Kirkwood may not have, but the stories never seemed to work the way he wanted them to. For instance, Steph's cancer story was strangely detached and almost an insult to her. The stuff with Mitzeee and the Costellos was so confusing and rushed - I still don't understand most of that family, I don't believe them as being related, I don't know why Jem was a part of the family. The Sharpes were bad but not so bad that they had to be rushed out. We had to put up with the Valentines for 4 years!

I wonder if he just created the O'Connors because he worked with the mother on Brookside. That and every soap needs a character who is obsessed with having a child. Diane and Rob just seem like energy drains.

I still don't really understand the Ste/Brendan stuff either, other than that it seems like the initial plan was for Brendan to abuse Ste, possibly kill Amy (that was the rumor) then leave. Now they want to keep Brendan around, but the whole domestic violence story seems to have changed around, with so many different people involved, side stories, and an attempt to make sure we don't see Ste as being the victim. So why tackle a subject like this in the first place?

Deleted User
Deleted User

I wonder if this new producer will show up in the credits before/after Emmerdale's, whoever that is going to be.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply