Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Survivor: Redemption Island
Topic Started: Jan 10 2011, 10:34 AM (7,922 Views)
downwhtone
Member Avatar

A Miss USA competitor, two former NFL players, and an Iraq war veteran are among the contestants who will be playing for $1 million when Survivor: Redemption Island premieres Wednesday, February 16 on CBS. But the most famous faces competing have yet to be announced, as two former players will once again be returning to the game, bringing the total contestant count to 18. (Their identities will be revealed later in the week.) This will not be the first time that two former players have come back to lead their tribes into battle: Stephenie LaGrossa and Bobby Jon Drinkard of Survivor: Palau returned for the Guatemala season, with LaGrossa making it all the way to the final two (where she lost to Danni Boatwright).

As for the 16 newcomers, they do not include 2009 Miss USA runner-up Carrie Prejean — who, like MMA fighter Kimbo Slice, was erroneously reported online as being part of the cast — but another 2009 Miss USA competitor, Ashley Underwood (Miss Maine), did make the cut. And a few of the other cast members do have connections to previous Survivors: Steve Wright used to play football on the Dallas Cowboys with Survivor: Guatemala‘s Gary Hogeboom, while Grant Mattos (another former NFL player) was encouraged to compete by his good friend Natalie Bolton (Survivor: Micronesia). Other contestants with notable pasts include Mike Chisel, who saw combat in Iraq, and Krista Klumpp, who was the head cheerleader at Auburn University.

In addition to the two returning players (who will each end up on a tribe after a drawing of concealed buffs), the other big twist to season 22 of Survivor is the addition of Redemption Island, where players are sent after being voted off and compete in duels for a chance to reenter the game at a later point. “We have all our duels laid out,” host Jeff Probst told EW.com while on location in Nicaragua just moments after filming began on the season. “Luck of the draw which one you get. Depends what time you’re at Redemption Island. Some will be a little tougher. Some will be puzzle based.” Unlike the hotly debated Outcasts twist of Pearl Islands, this time contestants will be informed of the twist at the very start of the season, and the people voted off and hoping to return will be stuck in the same conditions with the same supplies as everyone else (meaning no advantage in being able to refuel and recharge).

Filmed on the same beaches as those used for Survivor: Nicaragua, the season begins with the contestants (along with Probst) being delivered to their destination in style. “We came in on a Mil-17, ” says Probst, “which is a Russian helicopter that is owned by the Nicaraguan air force, and that was one of the baddest rides that I’ve ever had. It is a huge machine. You can’t hear a thing when you’re up there.”

For exclusive video interviews and footage of each contestant, check out the video player below. (The full list of Survivor: Redemption Island contestants is below the video player.) Also make sure to view our photo gallery of the new cast, with quotes from each. Finally, for Survivor news, views, and reviews all season long, follow me on Twitter @EWDaltonRoss.

EW.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

I still don't know if I'll be watching. I just can't watch one of the returning survivors again.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

'Survivor': They're baaaaaaaack! Russell and Boston Rob join the cast of 'Redemption Island'

The 16 new contestants of Survivor: Redemption Island will have to battle more than the elements and each other. They’ll also have two familiar faces to deal with as Boston Rob Mariano and Russell Hantz will be renewing their heated rivalry from Heroes vs Villains and returning to play the game once again. For Russell, it will be his third appearance in the past four seasons, while Boston Rob becomes the first person to ever compete four times on the show.

Rob and Russell’s feud in last spring’s Heroes vs Villains helped make the season one of the franchise’s finest, but could some fans be feeling a bit of Russell fatigue after seeing the polarizing player command so much screen time on both Samoa and Heroes vs. Villains? Host Jeff Probst doesn’t think so. “I’m not concerned at all about any Russell fatigue — that people have had too much,” says Probst. “If you’ve had too much of Russell, I dare say you’re not really a Survivor fan. He embodies Survivor. He’s polarizing. You hate him or you love him.”

The former players will each join a tribe after a drawing of concealed buffs and — contrary to internet rumors — they will not be offered any immunity, meaning either one of them could be voted out first (and sent to Redemption Island, where they would be forced to compete to reenter the game). But while Russell may seem like a shoo-in to be the first person out, Probst told EW.com while on location in Nicaragua just minutes after filming on the season began that he doesn’t believe that will be the case. “I do not think Russell or Rob will be the first person voted out of this game. Because I think they bring too much experience — 156 days between the two of them. When you’re playing a game, there’s a lot to be learned.”

Probst also believes that Boston Rob — who transformed himself from a villain to a hero last year — may actually have a tougher time than Russell sticking around when the going gets tough. “Rob may have an easier time initially, but Rob’s gong to have a tougher time long term because Rob could win,” says the host. “Rob is likable enough. He could win. Russell’s not going to win. Russell doesn’t get that. He’s not gonna win. Even if he was nice this season, the payoff for past seasons won’t let him win. Rob is going to have a tough time if he makes it to the merge.”

EW.com

Manny
Member Avatar

No way!

:lol:

I don't know why they made such a secret out of this. People knew this was coming while Nicaragua was going on.

downwhtone
Member Avatar

^Exactly Manny! This was the worst kept secret. lol

I'll still watch, but I'm not really looking forward to Russell being back. I enjoyed him as a player, but 2 seasons of Russell was enough for me.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Yawn to more Rob & Russell pimping. I like Rob but it's silly that it's his 4th chance. Russell's just a pig and not entertaining in the least.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I hope whatever tribe gets Russell votes his butt off right away. They should know by now you can't trust him what so ever. Let him have to keep saving himself on Redemption Island.

darraholic
Member Avatar

I believe they have immunity until merge :\

Manny
Member Avatar

I agree! I love Rob, but letting him play FOURTH time is too much. Letting Russell play more than once was a crime. Thrid time is just torture.. I will still watch and hopefully it can still be a good season, but I don't have high hopes. I just hope Rob lasts longer than Russell so that pig can shut up.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

The Scribe Has Spoken: Was Survivor Villain Russell Source of Spoilers?

Outwit, outplay, outlast? More like outta luck, outside the terms of your contract, and, if CBS has its way, completely out of money.

Survivor's master manipulator (and one of the show's most popular players) Russell Hantz has allegedly taken his villainy into the real world, and is accused of serving as a reality show Deep Throat for the duration of his two seasons, leaking countless spoilers and game-changing secrets to a blogger.

And yes, that is in total violation of what we're assuming is a pretty airtight contract. And also yes, CBS is probably regretting casting him in the upcoming Rob vs. Russell season.

Here's the deal…

Survivor fan and rampant message board commenter Jim Early, posting under the name "missyae" on a Website called Survivor Sucks, was sued last summer by the network for "misappropriation of trade secrets" and "tortious interference with contract" after he posted a series of big spoilers (including the elimination order of contestants and, ultimately, the winners of seasons 19 and 20) and information from the show's locales that were not only true, but that only someone from the inside would know.

When pressed, according to The Daily Beast, Early sang like a canary agreed to reveal the identity of his source in exchange for CBS dropping the lawsuit. He did, but nobody was expecting—least of all the network, we're guessing—his supposed source: none other than Russell Hantz.
Keeping to its word, CBS dropped the lawsuit against Early last month, owing to his "cooperation…including the identification of source(s) of confidential information."

So now what? For the time being, it's a stalemate. Will CBS sue one of their biggest-named (if most hated) contestants, and on the eve of his much-hyped appearance on the next season, kicking off two weeks from tonight?

Well, they haven't yet. But they would be well within their rights to do so. Contestants' contracts prohibit them from speaking to the press without permission, let alone giving away major plot points of the show. Should they be found to have done so, they are contractually obliged to pay the network a penalty of $5 million in liquidated damages.

CBS issued a statement to The Daily Beast about the lawsuit earlier this week, using much less incendiary rhetoric than usual.

In addition to saying that the show had been "blessed with a rabid fanbase," they also noted that there are bound to be "periodic claims of unauthorized leaks from people connected to the show."

Might that include one of the biggest draws of the upcoming season?

"We've investigated some of these claims," they went on. "The fervent activity of these sites often generates a confusing web of backstabbing, claims of misinformation, and Internet alliances…Outwit, outplay, outlast. It happens more than just on the air."

As for Early, he said that he did not seek out Hantz, but stuck up a phone and email relationship with the contestant (after contacting Hantz to let him know someone had leaked the player's personal contact info online), and that the leaks and spoilers started to come to him completely unprompted.

As for why he felt comfortable giving up his source, he told The Daily Beast that he did so "because Russell tried to implicate another player, an innocent player, who wasn't giving information."

For Russell's part, he has not specifically responded to the lawsuit, but made it quite clear on his Facebook page last month that he was not willing to take the blame for the leaks, and did his best to discredit Early.

"That missyae is the same person that said kimbo slice and carrie prejean was on survivor 22 lmao!! I never seen them lol," he wrote, going on to tell fans that if they wanted spoilers on the upcoming season, they should go somewhere else.

"Please respect me as I respect my fans. I will NOT talk about season 22 so please don't ask until it's over. I respect the show and the people involved in it and the people who try to spoil the show can suck my ass.

"If you love the game, you won't go to spoiler sites. Like who really wants to know who wins the superbowl before you watch it play out? Don't be a retard, lol just watch it play out and you will like what you see."

Next time, try leaving these things to the professionals.

Source: E!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Too bad CBS won't sue Russell based on a SurvivorSucks poster. :lol:

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Feb 5 2011, 05:50 AM
Too bad CBS won't sue Russell based on a SurvivorSucks poster. :lol:
Yeah they should. Doesn't really surprise me that it would be him and that he is trying to deny it. Heck he probably gave a bunch of fake spoilers to set them off his trail as been the leak. You can tell in the show the guy has a huge ego so I could totally see him giving leaks thinkgin CBS would never hurt their "star" player.

darraholic
Member Avatar

It's been pretty clear that it was Russell giving missayae the spoilers. Most people thought Missy was actually Russell's wife.

And yeah, CBS won't sue him.

King
Member Avatar

Has anyone who has seen a boot list?

If so, can you PM Me? I have questions, but I don't want to know the exact boot list. LOL.

darraholic
Member Avatar

King you can msg me. There is not a bootlist yet just some spoilers about who goes pre merge / post merge and who makes the family visit and some who make jury. But there is no spoilers yet on who has made the finals since Missyae got sued lol.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Bumping for tonight's premiere.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Kinda excited now. Wasn't for the longest time. Jeff Probst in TV Guide this week says he LOVES this cast and would call it a Top 5 season. Interesting. We shall see.

I at first also wasn't thrilled over Redemption Island but I'm warming up to the thought. And the same thing with the returns of Russell and Rob. I am kind of interested to see if Rob can finally pull off a win and if Russell has changed and really wants redemption.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Nooooo! I wanted Francesca to stay. :(

Phillip is crazy. What a delusional bastard. Former federal agent my ass. I wanted to vomit watching him prance around in his saggy pink underwear. LoL @ him mispronouncing Francesca's name so many times. "FransesQua?" I hope he goes next week.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Kenny you need to watch the entire season and post :p

Francesca going sucks :( However, Fran & Kristina are playing way too hard early on. Phillip is such a moron.

Very impressed that Rob & Russell didn't dominate the show.

Kenny
Member Avatar

darraholic
Feb 16 2011, 11:58 PM
Kenny you need to watch the entire season and post :p
I might.

I intended to watch a few seasons ago but Russell pissed me off too much and I had to stop watching, LoL. Then I tried to watch the following season and Russell was back again so I tuned out after the first episode. I don't know if I can make it through a full season of him mugging for the cameras and bragging about how amazing he is.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply