Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eric Martsolf interview; spoilers
Topic Started: Jan 17 2011, 05:19 PM (2,371 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

'Days of our Lives' spoilers from Eric Martsolf who teases Brady’s dark descent
January 17th, 2011 9:56 am PT

The last time LA TV Insider Examiner had a chance to chat with Days of our Lives’ Eric Martsolf, he expressed his interest in allowing his character of once-squeaky-clean-hero Brady Black to go a bit more darkside. Admittedly Brady has had some of those moments of late, but after we ran into him at the NBC TCA party in Los Angeles last week, we learned that what we’ve seen thus far was really just the tip of the iceberg.

“Basically Brady is going down a really dark tunnel. Just recently he decided to throw Vivian off onto a Greek island and get rid of the girl, but now Victor is telling Brady to bring her back. All Brady wants to do is have respect for his grandfather and allow him to make his own decisions, so he rebels. Brady basically cons Vivian into signing the company over,” Martsolf explained.

Yes, you heard it here at LA TV Insider Examiner: Brady Black is going to control Titan Industries. But for how long?

“I basically tell his grandfather to screw himself; I throw Nicole out on her ass, and I couldn’t be happier…but what comes up must come down,” Martsolf admitted.

“Right now--“ He started nodding, his smile growing, indicating Brady definitely has his share of fun. “He does have some power now, so it will be interesting to see how he handles it.”

Needless to say, Martsolf is having his bit of fun with the scenes, too.

“I love it,” he said. “It’s such a welcome change for me personally as an actor. I played the good guy for nine years on NBC daytime, so I’m embracing this completely. It’s also more interesting because this guy—I always felt he was a ticking volcano. There were only so many manipulations he could go through before this guy would say ‘I’m sick of it; take a leap man; I’m taking control!’”

Though Martsolf has been very vocal about wanting to get to portray a darker side to Brady, he wouldn’t dream to think it was because of him that the character has actually started to go down that path. Martsolf shared that the writers have very specific ideas of where they want the characters to go, regardless of how the actors may try to push them. In fact, the actors rarely get to spend time with the writers since each department is on such a tight and fast-moving schedule.

“I think the common misconception is that we talk to the writers on a daily basis. We truly don’t. I’ve had one conversation with Dena [Higley] since I joined the show,” Martsolf was candid. “And you know, there’s a trust factor there. They’re the ones who sit back and look at all the players, and they decide for themselves where they want them to go. We as actors can try to push story lines one way or another, but it’s not so easy nowadays!”

Having started in soap operas on NBC’s sadly gone before its time Passions, Martsolf is quite the veteran of the genre himself. But still going up against John Aniston, who has been on Days of our Lives off and on since 1985, could have been a bit nerve-wracking for the actor who shared that the scenes they share definitely “took [him] by surprise.”

“Victor really has done a lot for Brady, and this is a hell of a way to pay him back,” Martsolf pointed out. “But it’s also a tug of war between the two men. It’s almost not so much about a grandfather and a grandson; it’s a battle between two men who really have as hard a head as the next one, so the relationship is going to be tested, but for a soap it’s a lot of fun to see the tangled web come to fruition.”

In that way, Brady may be finally coming into his own as a pillar of strength, even if he isn’t quite using that strength for good.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-insider-in-los-angeles/days-of-our-lives-spoilers-from-eric-martsolf-who-teases-brady-s-dark-descent

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sounds great! I love dark Brady!

klements

I'm sad that Brady's given Nicole the boot without looking back one bit, but he is more interesting now.

And the writer's comment about Passions being gone before it's time has me scratching my head. I know it had its fans, and I don't mean to offend, but really?! That show seemed to be a bit too far out there.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I definitely enjoy Brady with more of an edge. Of course, I'm going to require he get a love interest - or at least a FWB - very shortly in order to enjoy Brady with less clothing.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I hate the character transformation Brady has taken. It literally came out of nowhere, plus Martsolf plays "dark" Brady like a cartoon villain.

Deleted User
Deleted User

DrewHamilton
Jan 17 2011, 05:34 PM
I hate the character transformation Brady has taken. It literally came out of nowhere, plus Martsolf plays "dark" Brady like a cartoon villain.
That's because Martsolf is a cartoon actor.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I love dark Brady!

Thanks for posting!
Quote Post Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jan 17 2011, 05:33 PM
I definitely enjoy Brady with more of an edge. Of course, I'm going to require he get a love interest - or at least a FWB - very shortly in order to enjoy Brady with less clothing.
Be careful what you wish for. The show may very well put him with Melanie.

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Jan 17 2011, 05:33 PM
I'd like to sign this post and stamp it with my total approval. Honey, youre right on all counts.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

We'll make the wish for a love interest for Brady with a disclaimer....no one under the age of 25 need apply. And no SORAS'ing allowed.
I wonder what a Vivian/Brady lovefest would be like. Strictly a one-night stand, hate sex episode, you know!

BradyB

I like the darker side of Brady as well. It is adding more demensions to his character in my opinion.

JamesScottFan4Life
Member Avatar
James Scott Fan First

Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying Dark Brady.

blueskies
Member Avatar

thanks! :) Love Eric and Brady. Also agreed with the comment abt Passions. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened to the writing of the show after JER died.

Can you imagine how different DOOL would be now though if Passions hadn't gone off the air? We wouldn't have Brady or Rafe. I mean, we could both have, just different actors, but it seems fairly obvious to me that both were added to get use of these two actors.
Edited by blueskies, Jan 17 2011, 09:08 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Amello
Jan 17 2011, 05:42 PM
DrewHamilton
That's because Martsolf is a cartoon actor.
ITA! He's so hammy.

If he's eye candy, then get Brady a haircut and a shave, please!

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Angie79
Jan 17 2011, 05:19 PM
Martsolf shared that the writers have very specific ideas of where they want the characters to go, regardless of how the actors may try to push them. In fact, the actors rarely get to spend time with the writers since each department is on such a tight and fast-moving schedule.

“I think the common misconception is that we talk to the writers on a daily basis. We truly don’t. I’ve had one conversation with Dena [Higley] since I joined the show,” Martsolf was candid. “And you know, there’s a trust factor there. They’re the ones who sit back and look at all the players, and they decide for themselves where they want them to go. We as actors can try to push story lines one way or another, but it’s not so easy nowadays!”

Generally, I'm a big proponent of writers being allowed to write without interference from the actors, because the actors are naturally going to be self-interested and want the best story and the most airtime. In that sense it's in no way surprising to me to hear that the actors don't get their way. However, given that the actors are allegedly not meddling, why is the balance so poor? Why are we subjected to Melanie and Sami and Rafe and Daniel what seems like every. freaking. day and other characters hardly get any airtime? I don't get why they seem to have such trouble with the idea of an ensemble cast and writing for everyone, if not equally, at least fairly.

Anyway, it was an interesting interview. EM's Brady is one of a handful of characters left I still like: it's down to him, Stephanie, Victor, Vivian, Chloe and (if/when she manages to break free of her recent squishy spineless mediator-to-pieces-of-shit-Sami-and-EJ turn and completely thankless role of trying to inject some interest into the rotting corpse of EJamafe) Nicole. I passionately hate EJ, Dr. Orangelove, Sami and Melanie. I am indifferent to Maggie, Jennifer, Philip (and I used to love him! oh, the horror Melanie hath wrought), Caroline, Roman, Bo, Hope, Carly, Chad, Will, Gabbi and . . . I'm too bored to think of who I'm missing. The upside to being indifferent to the majority of the characters is that there's little there for me to feel is ruined so they can write pretty much anything and if the story's decent I'll watch. Not having any strong emotional attachment to the majority of the characters is sort of a good thing. Of course, my sitting around waiting for decent stories is the fruitless part.

As for EM being cartoon-y, I'll take his version of villainy any day over the shouting, pouting teapot. EJ went from being one of the show's best villains to being the worst and most pathetic excuse for one.
Edited by Paxton, Jan 17 2011, 09:27 PM.

lazydazes
Member Avatar

Quote:

Anyway, it was an interesting interview. EM's Brady is one of a handful of characters left I still like: it's down to him, Stephanie, Victor, Vivian, Chloe and (if/when she manages to break free of her recent squishy spineless mediator-to-pieces-of-shit-Sami-and-EJ turn and completely thankless role of trying to inject some interest into the rotting corpse of EJamafe) Nicole.

:wave: Thanks for emphasizing the bolded portion so eloquently. It basically sums up the position that Nicole is in right now. It just irks me that Bricole has to take a backseat to this mess.

Kenny
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Yes! I just can't take him seriously.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Maybe HE'S not the one going to the writers, but I have my suspicions as to who is!

mer4santo
Member Avatar
Ineffable!

I really like Brady. I really, really like him.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

I hope he stays this way, I hated the old Brady :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply