Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: February Sweeps Preview; 2/1 issue
Topic Started: Jan 19 2011, 09:12 PM (18,904 Views)
sungrey

Lumi, great post above. That's Dena's problem with the writing. She isolates characters too much and doesn't have a grand umbrella story or a plan to bring all the characters together. If it's the budget, which I doubt it is, then NBC should step in and float the show a little more money to relieve the stress a bit.

Back to Dena, though... I think the show needs to realize she might be the problem. Erika Slezak had some words for her when she was writing OLTL, and Erika hardly complains about writing or other actors. That's what made it so strange she'd speak out.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dakota
Member Avatar
World Cup June 12, 2014- July 13, 2014

LuvingLumi
Jan 21 2011, 11:23 AM
Dakota
Jan 21 2011, 11:12 AM
sungrey
Jan 21 2011, 10:59 AM
PhoenixRising05
Jan 21 2011, 01:39 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Then that's the hell some of the fans are going to have to pay. I wanted Bo and Hope back together but was willing to sit through the Bo/Carly story because it brought back some history and at least it was something plausible that could have split Bope up. As we all know now, DH and company botched the story so badly that Corday had little choice but to rush in.

The mere thought of Daniel/Jennifer makes me sick (not as sick as two Rafes, though... ugh), but for all we know the show has plans to bring Matt back down the line. Based on most reactions here and at other boards, though, I do believe Corday's going to step in again later this year. Right now? Dan/Jen are the least of the problems. These previews are shit. They don't offer anything hopeful or remotely good for the viewers to wrap their arms around.
I think a lot of Bope fans put up with the Carbo stuff for more than a year, and I know even for myself it was touch to watch Bo and Hope written OOC, but it was tough seeing Carly written OCC and thrown under the bus too. My problem with the Carbo history is that for new viewers that history wasn't utilized, but even if they utilized the Carbo history. History would show that Carbo ended their relationship mutually, it wasn't like their was unfinish business between them. Carly chose Lawrence and Nicholas, it wasn't like it was done soley for Nicholas sake. So, some saying they lost out on their chance just doesn't make sense when it was mutually ended, and both realized that they just weren't compatible anymore and that they were trying to force something that wasn't working anymore.
You see I think they failed miserably with Carbo and Bope. The angle they SHOULD have taken was to have Lawrence still alive and come back to town with Carly. Then the truth comes out about Melanie and that sort of affects Lawrence and Carly's relationship him, she finds comfort in Bo who is going through issues in his own marriage. That angle could have been way better because Hope could even do that nighttime shit thing and bash Lawrence over the head sending Vivian's revenge wrath against Hope bringing Bo back toward her then. That would intertwine Bo, Hope, Carly, Lawrence and Vivian together in ONE story and then I haven't even mentioned how Mel and Dr. Tan could play into it also. The writers fail to come up with shit that makes sense and things happen and can happen in a marriage without the people in it actually falling out of love with one another or having Bo written so OOC to fit the plot. Bo can react to what Carly was going through with Lawrence and not be indifferent to Hope at all....that is the problem with Dena's writing.
Yeah, which is why this triangle was an epic failure for me.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Dakota
Jan 21 2011, 12:26 PM
LuvingLumi
Jan 21 2011, 11:23 AM
Dakota
Jan 21 2011, 11:12 AM
sungrey
Jan 21 2011, 10:59 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I think a lot of Bope fans put up with the Carbo stuff for more than a year, and I know even for myself it was touch to watch Bo and Hope written OOC, but it was tough seeing Carly written OCC and thrown under the bus too. My problem with the Carbo history is that for new viewers that history wasn't utilized, but even if they utilized the Carbo history. History would show that Carbo ended their relationship mutually, it wasn't like their was unfinish business between them. Carly chose Lawrence and Nicholas, it wasn't like it was done soley for Nicholas sake. So, some saying they lost out on their chance just doesn't make sense when it was mutually ended, and both realized that they just weren't compatible anymore and that they were trying to force something that wasn't working anymore.
You see I think they failed miserably with Carbo and Bope. The angle they SHOULD have taken was to have Lawrence still alive and come back to town with Carly. Then the truth comes out about Melanie and that sort of affects Lawrence and Carly's relationship him, she finds comfort in Bo who is going through issues in his own marriage. That angle could have been way better because Hope could even do that nighttime shit thing and bash Lawrence over the head sending Vivian's revenge wrath against Hope bringing Bo back toward her then. That would intertwine Bo, Hope, Carly, Lawrence and Vivian together in ONE story and then I haven't even mentioned how Mel and Dr. Tan could play into it also. The writers fail to come up with shit that makes sense and things happen and can happen in a marriage without the people in it actually falling out of love with one another or having Bo written so OOC to fit the plot. Bo can react to what Carly was going through with Lawrence and not be indifferent to Hope at all....that is the problem with Dena's writing.
Yeah, which is why this triangle was an epic failure for me.
I understand your feelings on the triangle and I agree with some of them. I do have a question for you though. If Bo was written so badly why do you want Hope to take him back? Is it just because its Bope and you want them together no matter what.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Halloween Family
Jan 21 2011, 11:52 AM
ladyofthelake
Jan 21 2011, 07:49 AM
lysie
Jan 20 2011, 11:34 PM
She spoke it well enough to do what was written for her (and she may speak it fluently...I have no clue).
Which once again attests to her dedication to doing her craft well.
eh...i was disappointed
But, see, you don't like Nicole anyway and I do! ;)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Jan 21 2011, 06:18 AM
Sindacco
Jan 21 2011, 06:15 AM
Bo and Hope fans are eating this shit up over on the Sony board :shame:
I don't know why. Bo and Hope are going to spend the rest of the year doing fuck-all on the backburner.
Give them time. A few months of them getting 3 episodes or so a month and they will complaining about them not having a story. That is the way the cycle works.

Then, next Fall, we will be hearing about their next story which will involve some sort of kidnapping or brainwashing plot that we've seen a 100 times that leads to them breaking up. Rather, rinse, repeat.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

dooldooldool
Jan 21 2011, 06:44 AM
dc cubs
Jan 20 2011, 05:09 PM
So what that does is it leaves Bope backburnered AGAIN with no story. Once this prison story is over my guess is we will see much less of Bope than the 1-2 episodes per week we have been getting the last couple of months. Plus it sounds like when PR and KA are working its not together. The March 2nd sneak peek from Jason has Hope featured in that episode but not Bo. We know from the tweet earlier in the week from Patrick Killian, Days hair stylist that PR was on set but there was no mention of KA. PR was on set yesterday but its unclear whether KA was in studio yesterday too.
I'm not sure how the show can feature two actors who are so pricey more often. I wonder if it may be best to just have them in a front-burner storyline for 6 months of the year and send them off-canvas for the other six months. If each actor can only appear 100 times a year (out of 250 episodes), then everyone is dissatisfied.

I love the characters so much that I would be happy chopping 6-8 other regulars just to raise PR and KA to 3+ episode per week guarantees. But that's what it would take. And cutting Melanie/Roman/Carvers/Caroline probably still wouldn't free up enough $$$$.

Given the current taping schedule, though, I do wonder if KA and PR would be open to massive salary reductions/restructuring. We know that Dee wasn't even asked to cut, and that Drake offered to take his 1985 salary. It seems that PR and KA work rarely and even if their screentime was increased by 50%, they probably wouldn't be logging brutal hours like they did in the 80s/90s. And of course, they would be paid more.

Rather than stagger them all year around, I'd rather send them off on a cruise for 3 months (which is what? Five or six SalemDays?) or off to see granddaughter Claire for awhile.
I agree.

We saw Days in 2009 basically do that. We hardly saw Bo and Hope the first half of 2009. The second half of 2009 is where we saw them heavily with Ciara's kidnapping sparking their story. In 2010, after the first 3 months, it all went downhill. PR was off the canvas while KA's airtime increased. PR returned and they got decent airtime for awhile only to have KA see very little airtime once Hope was jailed and then PR's airtime slowly decreased more and more. I think what it all comes down to is 2009 didn't feature a mid-year writing shift like 2010 did. Whoever wrote 2009 wrote the entire year and that was pretty clear because nothing upset the buildup to a number of the stories. I think that is the key.

Corday needs to just can Higley and let Tomlin and Whitesell write. No more splitting time or giving Higley a chance to write when it's safe and there is less pressure on her. All Corday needs to do is look at the numbers. 2009=great year. First half of 2010=horrible and declining numbers. second half of 2010=better and rebounding numbers.

Getting rid of Higley will solve most of the problems.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

I don`t see why Bo has to tell Carly again that him and Hope are getting back together, did`nt she know that from the beginning? :shrug:

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 21 2011, 02:42 PM
Halloween Family
Jan 21 2011, 11:52 AM
ladyofthelake
Jan 21 2011, 07:49 AM
lysie
Jan 20 2011, 11:34 PM
She spoke it well enough to do what was written for her (and she may speak it fluently...I have no clue).
Which once again attests to her dedication to doing her craft well.
eh...i was disappointed
But, see, you don't like Nicole anyway and I do! ;)
I was disappointed because I thought this would have been a good way for AZ to strut her acting wings. Nicole for me is what Sami is for a lot of people here. I liked Nicole when she first started then hated her being the vixen. I hated Nicole's return as a martini swirling, doggie toting jokester but liked her vulnerability with the miscarriage and tenderness with children. I resent that a lot of that was accomplished at Ej's expense but I do know that EJ and James are big boys who didn't know how to play the game. I just don't have glitter stuck in my eyes when it comes to AZ and Nicole, I can recogize her strengths and weaknesses. I actually was one of the few people who enjoyed the scene between Nicole and Gabby (minus the fact she was fighting with a teenager). It got the job done but I won't say that her accent was impeccable.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BradyB

It would be a great answered prayer to hear that Higley gets the boot. I just wonder if this will ever happen??? I often wonder if she has or knows secrets on some folks and that is why they keep her around??

BakerFan
Member Avatar

We can only HOPE that Hope "needing action" and "feeling adrift" will lead to the return of THIS Man!!!!!! :wub:

It's The ''Right Time Of The Night'' For Dr. Baker And Hope! ♥

Please?????? :wub:

CapeSafe

Galen tweeted this today:

"Thanks as always...but get ready for a wild ride as R2 is a strange bird!!"

This adds a little explanation to Corday's comments ;)

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

CapeSafe
Jan 21 2011, 06:14 PM

Did I say it, I think the guy is going to be a nut and Sami will be in a hell of a situation, I don't think danger will describe it... I'm so excited :boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs:

CapeSafe

crookedhalo
Jan 21 2011, 06:21 PM
CapeSafe

Did I say it, I think the guy is going to be a nut and Sami will be in a hell of a situation, I don't think danger will describe it... I'm so excited :boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs: :boobs:
This soooo spells a SAFE story....I am a Galen/Rafe fan (not a Passions fan)...so I am looking forward to a Sami/"real" Rafe reunion :wub:

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

AlteredStates
Jan 20 2011, 01:19 AM
A Jennifer/Daniel/Carly triangle would be a miserable pile of suckage. Carly's original ONS with Daniel (and the toothy spawn that resulted) was bad enough. I get that Carbo is over, but the writers can do better than Darly. I don't want them to inflict Dr. Sleaze on Jennifer either. I like her too much.
Can't we just murder the hypotenuse and have Carly/Jennifer. Jack and Carly never got along anyway, it could be some fun times.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

CapeSafe

A wide ride? I am going to just be nice and just :shame:

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

CapeSafe
Jan 21 2011, 08:24 PM
crookedhalo
CapeSafe

This soooo spells a SAFE story....I am a Galen/Rafe fan (not a Passions fan)...so I am looking forward to a Sami/"real" Rafe reunion :wub:
Me too. Bring it on!!!

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

JamesScott_19
Jan 21 2011, 09:02 PM
CapeSafe

wild ride.. wide ride? sometimes I worry

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

CapeSafe
Jan 21 2011, 08:24 PM
crookedhalo
CapeSafe

I was a Passions fan but I didn't like Luis

ejamily4ever

Angie79
Jan 19 2011, 09:27 PM
I thought Bo already broke up with Carly. The Bo and Hope stuff sounds more of the same with her having issues.

I hope they don't drag out the 2 Rafes thing for too long. I am irritated about it already.

The stuff with Taylor and EJ might be good if the actors do have chemistry.

So, Chloe does hurt herself. I figured that was coming after Jason's preview of Chloe in the hospital. I am curious to see how Nadia does with this storyline.

I don't know what I think about Daniel and Jennifer. I know I am in the minority, but I prefer him over her. Jennifer is so so boring.
Would spring be too long? Cuz that's what I heard. :soapbox: Now that I am up here I have to say this pisses me off. PR said he wanted to do a sl like this and they are giving it to a guy who can't act! How will we know which Rafe is which? I am sick of this sl already and can't believe how long they are going to make us endure it, it's like the sarcophagus all over again :frustration: And while I'm at it WTH with Chloe didn't we just see a suicide attempt? Good job writers. They should call this show Repeat of Our Lives.

Deleted User
Deleted User

JamesScott_19
Jan 21 2011, 09:02 PM
CapeSafe

I think Rafe2 is going to be unpredictable and perhaps worse than Stefano even realized. I tink someone's going to get hurt or threatened in ways they didn't expect. he's going to be living with those kids you ralize.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply