Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Like/Dislike posts feature
Topic Started: Feb 2 2011, 01:13 PM (3,230 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

sungrey
Feb 4 2011, 01:48 PM
Grandpa Hughes
Feb 2 2011, 04:21 PM
darraholic
Feb 2 2011, 02:07 PM
Can we disable Gramps from using this :p He'll abuse it :o
Why did I have a feeling that this was coming? AND from you, Darra! I've already used the "dislike" button once! I have another feeling! This is going to start wars all over DR and not just in the DAYS section! :drunk:
I gotta side with Grandpa here. I'm not using the like/dislike function because my fear is if I dislike a post that could trigger something we don't want.

Now replying to that post? Different story. I'll still chime in with my two cents.
Same here.

I don't like this feature because it's going to prevent people from explaining why they like or dislike a post. I would rather have someone explain their position than have them just click, '"Like" or "Dislike." I don't blame the board for trying this though. I just suspect it may cause some problems and hurt good discussion at times.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sungrey

Uh oh, Darraholic dislikes! Board war! BOARD WAR!! lol

Sindacco
Member Avatar

When I try to use it I get redirected to the main page.
Edited by Sindacco, Feb 5 2011, 09:05 AM.

six
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 4 2011, 04:51 PM
I don't like this feature because it's going to prevent people from explaining why they like or dislike a post.
Why would this happen? I think there are plenty of times when someone has a great post, that you'd like to acknowledge, but you have nothing else to add, besides a :hail: or 'ita,' and this gives people an easier way to do that. I don't think many people will think 'I was going to expound on this post, but instead, I'll click the button, and be on my way.' Posts that get voted down without response are probably going to be the ones that are A. too stupid to waste time on, or B. ones where the voter didn't have a legitimate response worth reading, so it's probably for the best that they put in their negative vote, and move on.

The only time I can see it going badly, is when people start taking each other to task because of the way they voted.

sungrey

Valid points, Six. I also think it might prevent people from expressing what they really feel. For example, if everyone thought a Days episode stunk but one person liked it and wasn't afraid to say so, what's to stop 30 people from pressing that dislike button?

I know we're all adults on here with healthy self-esteem, but to me 30 dislikes to one post is the same as rejection. I'm not saying get rid of like/dislike or that we can't have debates that go off the track on here. Hell, that's half the fun of DR. Sometimes our debates are better than the shows themselves! lol

~bl~
Member Avatar

Am I seeing things, (if I am that's okay) but when posts are liked or disliked does it change the date/time of the last post?

six
Member Avatar

sungrey
Feb 5 2011, 12:11 PM
Valid points, Six. I also think it might prevent people from expressing what they really feel. For example, if everyone thought a Days episode stunk but one person liked it and wasn't afraid to say so, what's to stop 30 people from pressing that dislike button?

I know we're all adults on here with healthy self-esteem, but to me 30 dislikes to one post is the same as rejection. I'm not saying get rid of like/dislike or that we can't have debates that go off the track on here. Hell, that's half the fun of DR. Sometimes our debates are better than the shows themselves! lol
I get the point you're making (especially if people really do register just to vote by fanbase), and I could see that scaring off some, but I think those same people would be scared off anyway, because of the...colorful board culture around here.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I've been using the like button, but not the dislike. I don't really see the point to disliking a post--if I disagree with it, I'll either post a response, ignore it, or in extreme cases where it's the same person posting the same stupid shit over and over, I'll put the poster on ignore. In that sense I do see the point of "liking" something, in that there's really no reason to post an ITA or QFT or a hail emoticon, which as I recall people aren't supposed to be doing but they do anyway. But disliking, I feel requires some explanation.
Edited by Paxton, Feb 5 2011, 02:52 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

How DARE you vote the way you have been Six?! This is an outrage and I DEMAND an explanation! Okay, not really but I had to provide some "dislike" fodder and I owed you one anyway! ;)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

IMO, what I think might be a lot better is a Rep system. I'm not exactly sure how they work, but I've seen them in other places. If you like a particular post, you give the poster positive rep points which then accumulate to increase their reputation level. Likewise, you can give negative rep points which accumulate to *decrease* their reputation level. It essentially amounts to little more than a popularity contest, but if I come across a post by SuzieQ and see she's got an obcenely high positive rep count, it tells me that she's rather highly regarded. If I see RobbieRob post and he's got a extremely high negative rep count, it tells me that this person is pretty much a disliked shit stirrer and to ignore him. lol
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Matt
Feb 6 2011, 01:23 AM
IMO, what I think might be a lot better is a Rep system. I'm not exactly sure how they work, but I've seen them in other places. If you like a particular post, you give the poster positive rep points which then accumulate to increase their reputation level. Likewise, you can give negative rep points which accumulate to *decrease* their reputation level. It essentially amounts to little more than a popularity contest, but if I come across a post by SuzieQ and see she's got an obcenely high positive rep count, it tells me that she's rather highly regarded. If I see RobbieRob post and he's got a extremely high negative rep count, it tells me that this person is pretty much a disliked shit stirrer and to ignore him. lol
I found something kind of like a rep system but it doesn't seem to have a feature to decrease reps. Hopefully it shows up in IE.... :P

six
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Feb 5 2011, 06:21 PM
How DARE you vote the way you have been Six?! This is an outrage and I DEMAND an explanation! Okay, not really but I had to provide some "dislike" fodder and I owed you one anyway! ;)
Didn't work. :)

You got me back though; I was wondering what I did to you, before I got to the end. lol

Paxton
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Feb 6 2011, 04:45 AM
Matt
I found something kind of like a rep system but it doesn't seem to have a feature to decrease reps. Hopefully it shows up in IE.... :P
My problem with that is I can actually see that contributing again to fanbase wars, though heaven knows they seem impossible to avoid in the Days section (or what Mason so eloquently calls the "cuckoo's nest"--yes, I know, I post there too). I can already anticipate there will be people whose posts I personally find pointless at best who can end up accumulating lots of positive points and get some sort of "elite" status because the circle jerk posters they run with will "vote" for each and every post no matter how inane. Now I suppose I could vote "against" their posts but I'd really rather just ignore them.

I guess I don't really see the benefit of allowing other posters to inflate some posters' value on the site. I already know which longer-term posters I respect and which ones I don't and with new ones it usually doesn't take long to figure out which category they fall into.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Paxton
Feb 6 2011, 12:07 PM
Miss Rhi
Feb 6 2011, 04:45 AM
Matt
My problem with that is I can actually see that contributing again to fanbase wars, though heaven knows they seem impossible to avoid in the Days section (or what Mason so eloquently calls the "cuckoo's nest"--yes, I know, I post there too). I can already anticipate there will be people whose posts I personally find pointless at best who can end up accumulating lots of positive points and get some sort of "elite" status because the circle jerk posters they run with will "vote" for each and every post no matter how inane. Now I suppose I could vote "against" their posts but I'd really rather just ignore them.

I guess I don't really see the benefit of allowing other posters to inflate some posters' value on the site. I already know which longer-term posters I respect and which ones I don't and with new ones it usually doesn't take long to figure out which category they fall into.
I can see that too Pax. So and so who agrees with so and so always will give that so and so points regardless.....

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

We can test it out and see how it goes. People can only "Thank" the same person every 24 hours anyway. If this feature becomes a problem then it can be removed as easily as it was installed, unlike another code I was trying out that would have had the rep feature included. The other code called for members to do something do be able to use it's features one of which was repping, the advantage to that one would've been I could have kept it from being an issues in the Days section.

If all you see is a red loading thing instead of the "Thanks" button it could be due to a script blocking extension for your browser.

Paxton
Member Avatar

Well, I'm still confused. I "thanked" dc cubs and got a popup box asking for the reason, so I explained why. Does the poster who gets thanked see that? I have a "thank" but have no idea who it's from or why. Is the purpose for the reason so the staff can read them?

Mason
Member Avatar

Paxton
Feb 6 2011, 03:43 PM
Well, I'm still confused. I "thanked" dc cubs and got a popup box asking for the reason, so I explained why. Does the poster who gets thanked see that? I have a "thank" but have no idea who it's from or why. Is the purpose for the reason so the staff can read them?
The poster who gets it can read it. I'm able to read everyone's thanks, but I don't know if that's because I'm a staff member or not.

You can also thank someone without leaving a reason why.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Paxton
Feb 6 2011, 03:43 PM
Did you click on the "1"? That should show you who it is from.

Paxton
Member Avatar

No, I didn't click on the "1." Thanks for the explanations.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I can see the like/dislike on IE9.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DR Member Help & Support · Next Topic »
Add Reply