Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Paul Rauch- Gone from Y&R
Topic Started: Feb 11 2011, 08:28 PM (2,488 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Is Rauch leaving a good move? Yes, but I think the real problem is MAB and until she decides to leave, the show is never going to improve greatly. Since she's family, they will never fire MAB and that is another issue. Also, Sheffer is terrible and so misogynistic. I never watched ATWT but he wrote that way on Days and it has carried over to Y&R. He needs to go out the door with Rauch.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Sheffer can be AMAZING as he was in the first half of his ATWT run! I remember MAB doing some GREAT work on B&B in the '90s and even Scott Hamner was writing some good stuff at PORT CHARLES before a couple of ladies swooped in and turned the show upside down! Y&R was certainly not perfect when Jack Smith was running things but they went to Hell on a greased pole when Latham and Bloom got in there! When Mab first arrived, I was thrilled that the show had some of it's old flavor back but my excitement was short lived! Of course I blamed Rauch for the majority of problems and I still think he called more shots than people think! I'd like to see what would happen if MAB stepped back from the typewriter and just became EP and if Sheffer and Casiello could write the show the way they did at ATWT! That was some pure soap opera with great writing IMO!

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Quote:

Sheffer can be AMAZING as he was in the first half of his ATWT run!

I always heard that from ATWT fans, but how long is he gonna get credit for whatever went down at ATWT early in his run when he's been a fucking disaster everywhere since? Has anyone considered that maybe just maybe he shouldn't have gotten credit for whatever good happened under his watch in the first place?

Mason
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Feb 12 2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:

Sheffer can be AMAZING as he was in the first half of his ATWT run!

I always heard that from ATWT fans, but how long is he gonna get credit for whatever went down at ATWT early in his run when he's been a fucking disaster everywhere since? Has anyone considered that maybe just maybe he shouldn't have gotten credit for whatever good happened under his watch in the first place?
I don't agree. First of all, the last three years of his run on ATWT weren't as good as his first two, but there will still many bright spots. Second, his time on DAYS gets a lot of crap, but it was the last time I actually enjoyed the show (plus, we know how much his work got screwed with over there, anyway). Third, I will never understand why some people call him a misogynist when he's clearly not. He's written plenty of empowered women.

I'm not saying he's anywhere near perfect and I know that he has his fair share of flaws as a writer, but a lot of people make him out to be way worse than he really is.
Edited by Mason, Feb 12 2011, 10:08 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Why was Sheffer such a hit during the 1st half of his run at ATWT? IMO, two words -- Carolyn Culliton. She's only marginal, at best, as a solo HW, but pair her with someone else and the team is golden. IMO, that last time GL was even NEAR watchable was during the oh-so-brief-yet-oh-so-good Millee Taggart/Carolyn Culliton run.

LPS
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Feb 12 2011, 04:28 PM
Drew
Feb 12 2011, 04:25 PM
Y&R is far from watchable.
I won't write "That's your opinion" because "DUHHH"! ;) I have to disagree! I caught up on a few episodes and thought it was vastly improved over the last time I'd watched! Of course that could be called "damning with faint praise"!
Y&R is usually good for like a week after they kill of a character, but it goes straight to crap. Y&R still sucks, IMO.

Sheffer is pretty misogynistic. I can't think of any empowered women on Y&R right now. He writes crap. He did the Silverchipmunk garbage. What did MAB write on B&B? Wasn't she like a breakdown writer? I don't think that really counts. I believe she was originally a fashion consultant so that could explain some of the problems.
Edited by LPS, Feb 14 2011, 11:39 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Sheffer's not the head writer of Y&R...

LPS
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 14 2011, 11:42 AM
Sheffer's not the head writer of Y&R...
Is there really a difference between Head Writer and Co-Head Writer? I always felt that MAB was a puppet. In her interviews she sounds like a pompous moron who really doesn't know what is going on backstage. I believe the only thing MAB contributes is her last name.

Y&R needs Brad Bell (yeah I said it). He is the only Bell with any talent. He is really underrated.
Edited by LPS, Feb 14 2011, 11:51 AM.

Mason
Member Avatar

MAB is an idiot, but I do believe she's running the ship. I think she made that pretty clear with her 'my show, my vision' quote, LoL.

darraholic
Member Avatar
#TeamBeastModePrincess

Have to agree with Mason about Hogan on DAYS. I quite enjoyed his time at the show. He def had some duds (Tinder Lau, Touch The Sky & Most of the Brady vs DiMera feud.) But I really enjoyed some of his storylines as well (Claire's Custody Trial, Philip & Belle's affair, The Sorority, Nick & Billie's affair, John's death, Marlena going "dark" after John's death.)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

MAB was more than just a breakdown writer at the time I'm posting about! She was reported to be the one behind Stephanie's stroke/amnesia/homeless story! Since that was 20 years ago, I don't even remember where I read it or whether it's true! In any case, she had Papa Bell propping her up back then! Sheffer supposedly did some misogynistic writing at DAYS but I quit watching just before his time there! I thought his early Y&R stuff was misogynistic but I can't actually say who wrote what back then and it was part of the general "dumbing down" of many female characters! He was no misogynist at ATWT though! At least not before I dropped the show! He had some strong storylines for Barbara, Carly and Emily! PLUS he was the last writer to give Nancy, the matriarch of the show, the spotlight with a 'sort of' romantic interest who was much younger! They went the science fiction route with the spa story and I said "Seeeya!"! I was worried that with Rauch and Sheffer both at Y&R, we'd get time warp stories, aliens, clones etc.! But LML came the the closest to that foolishness with Indiana Carlton and his "killer thighs"! I'm not saying we're seeing Chaucer quality writing on Y&R, but it seemed to be improved! Since I wrote that "vastly improved" post, I have seen days when the suckage was as bad as it's ever been! So I retract the word "vastly"!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply