Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC Orders 'Glee'-like Musical Show; Starring Debra Messing & Katherine McPhee
Topic Started: Feb 20 2011, 03:37 AM (619 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

NEW YORK, N.Y. --

Watch out, “Glee”! There’s a new TV musical coming to town.

Access Hollywood caught up with Debra Messing on Wednesday at her pal Michael Kors’ Fall 2011 fashion show in NYC and chatted with the former “Will & Grace” star about her new NBC pilot “Smash,” which will focus on the making of a new Broadway musical inspired by Marilyn Monroe.

“It’s kind of like ‘A Chorus Line,’ but behind the scenes,” Messing explained. “I play a lyricist of the musical and it’s going to follow the ins and outs of Broadway.”

Messing also said that one of Hollywood’s biggest directors is involved in the project.

“It’s by Steven Spielberg and the people who produced the movie ‘Chicago’ (Craig Zadan and Neil Meron),” she said.

The NBC musical will also star “American Idol” alum Katherine McPhee, Jack Davenport formerly of ABC’s “FlashForward,” and Megan Hilty who has starred on Broadway in “Wicked” and “9 To 5.” Tony-Award winner Michael Mayer (“Spring Awakening,” “American Idiot”) will direct the pilot.

Unlike FOX’s hit TV musical “Glee,” which generally has its stars singing covers of popular songs, the actors of “Smash” will be singing original songs, written by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, the composers of the Tony-winning “Hairspray” and the upcoming spring Broadway musical adaptation of “Catch Me If You Can.”

As for whether or not Messing will sing on the show, she responded enthusiastically that although she wasn’t sure yet, she would certainly like to.

“I hope I do sing!” she said.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

Uhhh! I think I'm gonna pass on this one! Doesn't sound like it has "legs"!

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

This sounds lame.

Glee has its moments and all, but it is not something that needs to be copied. I have already started to lose interest in the show. Isn't the CW trying to do a Glee-like show as well?

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

To it's benefit, it's kinda like GLEE, but it really isn't at the same time. IMO, I think any sort of musical type program will immediately get compared to GLEE, no matter what the specific details are. I remember when I first heard about GLEE, my immediate thought was that it was going to be another HULL HIGH or COP ROCK. People forget that GLEE was not the 1st musical TV show nor was it the first musical high school show on network television.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

^ It's funny you mentioned COP ROCK because that's what I automatically think of when I read about a "musical" series! I'm not a big GLEE fan nor a fan of most musicals but this does sound like a completely different concept and someone at NBC wants to ride the coat tails of the popular show! Hell, THE MONKEES used music but it doesn't resemble GLEE in any way that I can tell from watching one episode and some clips! I really enjoy when popular music is incorporated in a show in a different way than having the characters break out in song! I'm thinking of COLD CASE and others!

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Matt
Feb 20 2011, 10:40 AM
To it's benefit, it's kinda like GLEE, but it really isn't at the same time. IMO, I think any sort of musical type program will immediately get compared to GLEE, no matter what the specific details are. I remember when I first heard about GLEE, my immediate thought was that it was going to be another HULL HIGH or COP ROCK. People forget that GLEE was not the 1st musical TV show nor was it the first musical high school show on network television.
Don't forget Viva Laughlin, starring Hugh Jackmen and Melanie Griffith and cancelled after 2 episodes.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I am actually surprised that we didn't have more Glee like shows this past season. Usually once there is a hit "new" type of show the following season you get dozen of copycat shows.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply