Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion 2/28-3/4
Topic Started: Feb 26 2011, 12:32 PM (22,844 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Days of Our Lives

Weekly Discussion

Week of 2/28

Picture
Posted Image
Clip

Discuss. :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I love the Deveraux's. That clip makes me want Jack back even more.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

I miss Jack :(

lazydazes
Member Avatar

Oh, the memories. I just loved the Deveraux clan.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

That's right, Abigail! Remember what that man did for you! ;)

Also, Abby was one funny looking baby.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Has anyone read Martha Madison's latest blog entry?

There's nothing too earth-shattering in it but I thought the bolded parts below were pretty interesting.
Quote:

When I was working on the soap, I got criticism from every corner, every day, everywhere. With the combination of message boards, critical bosses and of course, the actual TV screen itself, I heard all about the issues I was having with my fluctuating weight, my “incredibly large forehead”, the fact that I looked waaaay too old to play the character I was hired to play, etc etc etc. I have to admit that these were all pretty difficult pills to swallow at first. However, after hearing this kind of criticism, I realized that I wasn’t being hard enough on myself. Of course I have always known that the weight thing was an issue. Throughout my life, like many young female overachievers, I have struggled with my weight and eating disorders. I’ve been 100 pounds, and I’ve been 140 pounds. Neither weight (or method of becoming that weight) was healthy, nor did it make me happy. A couple of years into my tenure on the show, I was spoken to about my increasing size. In a word, I felt humiliated. I felt like “Carrie” (at the end of the movie where Sissy Spacek was standing on stage in a happy, contented moment and then, in both shock and horror, was washed over with warm, bubbling pig blood). Unlike “Carrie,” I wasn’t driven to kill all the spectators with my telekinetic powers. However painful, I did recognize that it must’ve been incredibly uncomfortable for my boss to have to sit across from me and deliver that kind of critique. In his defense, it was his job to be hard on HIMself and the show and do whatever it took to get it looking the way they all wanted it to. It was a necessary conversation on his part, and I fully understood it and respected it. Without getting too much into it, that moment taught me, on a professional level, that maintaining a “Hollywood healthy” weight would be both incredibly difficult and absolutely necessary. I have learned that this is an area that I HAVE to be VERY hard on myself without becoming compulsive or neurotic about it. I’ve reached a point in my life where I know that I have to work out every day and make healthy choices about what I eat every time I decide to have a meal. With that, I’ve chosen to be happy with whatever the results of that are. Am I the hottest hottie in Hollywood???? Hell no. Am I happy with how I look? Not always. Am I healthy? Hallelujah, yes, I am!!

Now, the forehead thing is simply genetic, however my hairstyle is always a choice. I’ve had extensions, chopped it all off, had bangs, no bangs, highlights, lowlights…..you name it, I’ve tried it. Why? Because I’m hard on myself. I want to have good hair and a nicely shaped cut. I understand that if you have a face shaped and proportioned like mine, you have to work on making it as “watchable” as possible. I remember once on the show that I decided I had had extensions long enough. I wanted them OUT and I wanted a cute short/chopped cut. I came in to shoot the next day and received rave reviews from the hairdressers there. However, after I finished my scenes, I got called up to the boss’s office and was told that I needed to put the extensions back in. I was mortified and embarrassed. Had I really made such a horrible mistake by cutting my long locks? Apparently. Of course, I did what I was told and went straight to the hairdresser after work. Why? Because they were hard on me, therefore I was hard on myself. I wanted to please whoever I was supposed to please in order to maintain goodwill in a job that I coveted. If that meant putting 100 little daggers in my scull to lengthen my hair, then I was certainly eager to oblige. It was all part of the unspoken agreement you make with the universe (and the network) when you decide you want to be a TV actress.

Lastly, the age thing was tricky. First off, just let me say that I was 27 when I was hired for that job. TWENTY SEVEN IS NOT OLD, PEOPLE!! I can’t change the year I was born, nor would I want to. That would mean that I would’ve missed the colorful carnival ride that was the 80’s. I would’ve missed out on the youthful crush I had on CeCe from Poison!! I would’ve missed out on MC Hammer pants at the eighth grade dance. For God’s sake, I would’ve missed out on Fraggle Rock, people! These were all incredibly formative influences in my life, so NO! I will not participate in being hard on myself there.

Now... I’m an actress who owns a restaurant……..in Los Angeles…….down the street from my old acting job…….constantly surrounded by well known actors..…..while I’m covered in either ketchup or burger grease, depending on the day. To my working actor buddies, can you feel me here? Yes, I’ve built my own business, and yes, I’ve fought many good fights to make it a thriving one. However, I can’t help but feel that I’ve slipped in the ranks a bit. Perhaps that’s my own neurosis or perhaps it’s the realistic consequence of choosing a semblance of stability over “the dream.
http://itcouldvebeenworse.blogspot.com/

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

^ That was a very interesting read. How sad that Martha was treated that way. Obviously she was referring to Ken Corday and while I understand that it is his job to be critical, I never remember thinking that Martha was overweight at all. I mean, she wasn't skinny, but I never thought "Gosh, she's gained weight". Interesting.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Wow, that was a great read. Thanks for posting. I can't believe how they treated her. I always thought she was an appropriate size. She didn't look like walking death (compared to some of the other actresses on that show). I thought it was refreshing. You hear that Corday? Some of us like people who look normal.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Thanks for that Kenny. Quite sad that Martha was treated so horribly because she was such a great find. I could never stand Kirsten Storms version of Belle. Martha made me fall in love with the character. And I must say, Belle & Phillip is probably the hottest coupling this show has had in at least the past 5 years.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Very interesting blog by Martha. I would have never considered Martha to be overweight during her tenure on Days. I'm trying to remember who the EP was during that time period on Days. I tend to think the EP might have been the one to make these criticisms instead of Corday.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

A couple of years into my tenure on the show, I was spoken to about my increasing size. In a word, I felt humiliated.
I can't remember there ever being a time when Martha Madison looked overweight. Even by Hollywood standards, she always looked slim to me.

Why is it that Ken Corday will talk to Martha about her "increasing size" but he won't talk to Kristian Alfonso about the fact that she looks like an anorexic rotting corpse? Why won't he talk to Molly Burnett about the fact that she's annoying as fuck and she can't act worth a damn? (A far more important gripe, IMO.) Why won't he talk to Lauren Koslow about the fact that her purple hair is hideous and she's starting to look like the Cat Lady with all that botox in her face?

Did he ever have the "weight" conversation with Patrika Darbo? Or heaven forbid, Ali Sweeney? (FYI, I realize it might not have been Corday who talked to Martha about her weight, but I doubt Wyman or Scott would've gone to her about it unless Corday prompted them to.)
Quote:

I got criticism about the fact that I looked waaaay too old to play the character I was hired to play. Lust let me say that I was 27 when I was hired for that job. TWENTY SEVEN IS NOT OLD, PEOPLE!!
It always annoyed me when people said Martha was too old to play Belle. I mean, why? Because she didn't walk around like a chirpy pre-pubescent chipmunk flipping her hair all the time? Because she didn't have the high-pitched dolphin voice of a 9-year old boy whose balls hadn't dropped yet?

The only people who complained about Martha's age were people who started watching Days in 1999 at the ripe age of 11 because they saw their Disney idol ("OMG ZENON!") on the screen and they just had to watch. When Kirsten left, they all had meltdowns because a piece of their childhood was taken away and they couldn't cope with her departure. They were like the teeny boppers who flipped their lids when Leah Remini was cast as Mark Paul Gosselaar's new love interest on Saved By the Bell. "OMG who's this new fat bitch?! Zack can't love her! He loves KELLY! Leah's too old! Morris & Kapowski 4-eva!" Yawn.

Kirsten was a terrible actress and I threw a party when she left. She stunk up the show for years. Martha was a huge upgrade, IMO. No, she didn't have chemistry with Jason Cook but why was that the most important factor? Why was "Shelle" the be-all, end-all of the universe? Because Ken Corday said so? Because he spent so many years hyping them as the next big supercouple that he would rather them be written out altogether than be played by "fakes?" In that case, where was he when Stephanie Cameron and Steve Wilder were cast as Jack and Jennifer?

Kenny
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Feb 26 2011, 11:17 PM
I'm trying to remember who the EP was during that time period on Days.
Steve Wyman was EP for a while, then Ed Scott. Martha worked under both of them.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Feb 26 2011, 11:32 PM
dc cubs
Steve Wyman was EP for a while, then Ed Scott. Martha worked under both of them.
I think Wyman probably made the weight comment and Scott probably got angry about the hair. It fits with the timing.

I doubt Corday would say junk like that. He doesn't seem to get caught up in looks. If he was, as you noted you wouldn't see half the cast looking as they do. Hell, he would probably be like other EP's. He would probably fire people like Alfonso, Koslow, etc.

Sariah
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Very interesting blog by Martha. I would have never considered Martha to be overweight during her tenure on Days. I'm trying to remember who the EP was during that time period on Days. I tend to think the EP might have been the one to make these criticisms instead of Corday.
Wasn't it Ed Scott at the end of her run? Don't remember who was there before him.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 26 2011, 11:32 PM
dc cubs
For most of her time, Wyman was Co-EP, so if it wasn't Corday (which I'm sure it was), I tend to believe it was Wyman.

darraholic
Member Avatar

Wonderful post Kenny. I'd like it a thousand times if I could.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 26 2011, 11:37 PM
I think Wyman probably made the weight comment and Scott probably got angry about the hair. It fits with the timing.
Well, the hair thing I can understand. You're not supposed to go out and get a completely new 'do without consulting with the producers first. The weight thing doesn't make any sense though. She never looked fat to me.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

Martha is the last person I'd think of with a weight issue. Augh, I miss her something fierce.

Deleted User
Deleted User

At least she wasn't Adrianne(a) Leon'ed.
Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Hmmm...I don't so much dislike MM, but her blogs make her sound like a moron to me. The age thing? She says that 27 isn't old, and it's not. But the problem wasn't that she looked old in general, the problem was that they kept Belle as a 21 year old, and she didn't look 21. The whole point of the this particular blog entry is to talk about people being "hard on you" and those aren't examples of people being hard on her. They're either examples of people being mean or her being stupid (the hair). Her blog about tipping was moronic, too. She sounds bitter and whiny to me. :shrug:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply