Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion 2/28-3/4
Topic Started: Feb 26 2011, 12:32 PM (22,777 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

billyjill
Feb 26 2011, 11:50 PM
I miss her something fierce.
Me too. She was so good.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 26 2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:

A couple of years into my tenure on the show, I was spoken to about my increasing size. In a word, I felt humiliated.
I can't remember there ever being a time when Martha Madison looked overweight. Even by Hollywood standards, she always looked slim to me.
There was a time for a while when she looked bigger, but I always thought it was the horrible wardrobe they put her in. They dressed her very matronly and very unflatteringly for a while.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Feb 26 2011, 11:50 PM
PhoenixRising05
Feb 26 2011, 11:37 PM
I think Wyman probably made the weight comment and Scott probably got angry about the hair. It fits with the timing.
Well, the hair thing I can understand. You're not supposed to go out and get a completely new 'do without consulting with the producers first. The weight thing doesn't make any sense though. She never looked fat to me.
Same here. I had no issue with her weight or look. It was jarring at first but after her first few months, I came to accept her as Belle look-wise.

I just can't see Corday worrying about stuff like weight and hair and such. The guy can't keep track of the big, important stuff let alone stuff like that. He doesn't seem that shallow. Everything with him seems to be way too simplistic. He's more concerned with hiring/firing people, changing story, etc. Things like that.

Ellie

As for the age thing, I agree with Lysie. The problem was that they placed Martha in the middle of the 'former teen scene' crew which included Jason Cook and Farah Fath. Martha looked much older than they did! It wasn't that Belle couldn't be aged, it was that she wasn't being aged. I remember watching one scene with Martha and Farah and thinking that Martha looked like she should be Farah's older sister or something.

Regarding her weight, I think the EP (Wyman or Ed Scott) would have made the comment, depending on the timing. The only time I noticed she'd gained weight was right before she left, when they were dressing her in very smocky dresses that made me think she might be pregnant irl. I don't think Patrika D'Arbo is a fair comparison. They clearly hired her to play an overweight character, and they were making a statement by pairing her with Kevin Spirtas. They hired Martha to be a sexy attractive younger female, and if they felt that she wasn't anymore, then it would have been their place to say something about it. It's terrible and degrading and all those things, but since they hired her to play that role, I feel it is within their rights to say something.

The hair extensions - yeah, what Kenny said. I've heard many cast members discuss that TPTB needed to give their ok to drastic physical changes. (LK and Ali even discuss whether TPTB like or do not like their choice of nail polish.) Again, it all boils down to the fact that actresses are being hired in part to look a certain way physically. If Martha wanted her hair extensions out NOW, she should have discussed that with TPTB first.

Martha doesn't sound very happy in life lately... I hope she gets another acting role, but if she does, I hope her negativity doesn't follow her there.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

I may be in the minority but I do not miss Jack at all.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

I watched pretty consistently when she was Belle and I never saw the "too old" thing or any weight fluctuation! I don't remember anyone slamming her on message boards although I certainly believe it happened! I do remember Beemer being referred to as "Planet Of The Apes" Shawn! I doubt Ed Scott would have that discussion with MM if only because his own wife was experiencing notable weight gains due to illness back then! It would take a hypocrite with HUGE brass balls to have that conversation with another actress!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

The problem was that they placed Martha in the middle of the 'former teen scene' crew which included Jason Cook and Farah Fath. Martha looked much older than they did!
True, but I didn't care about any of those other characters so it didn't really bother me, LoL.
Ellie
Feb 27 2011, 12:19 AM
Martha doesn't sound very happy in life lately...
She sounds miserable.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It's got to be rough on her because she hasn't exactly found much work. She seemed happy with her life for awhile. What happened?

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

JamesScott_19
Feb 27 2011, 12:23 AM
I may be in the minority but I do not miss Jack at all.
After so many "He's dead!" "He's alive" storylines, I stopped caring myself!

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 27 2011, 12:31 AM
It's got to be rough on her because she hasn't exactly found much work. She seemed happy with her life for awhile. What happened?
I've heard she's hard to work with, and if she's anything IRL like she sounds on her blog, I believe it. It's a shame, though, because she's a good actress.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
She didn't mention working on the Web soap "The Bay" which sort of surprises me! It isn't network TV but still...!

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
I think the restaurant business is kicking her ass, LoL.

Did you see this blog entry from a few months ago?
Quote:

Also at work, I face daily struggles that lie mostly in the technological realm. Broken computers, tv’s sound systems, lighting, kitchen equipment…..basically anything with a cord. Let me give all of you non-restaurant people an example…..On any given day, if the computers go out, we are not only unable to ring in orders and send them to the kitchen or bar , where they in turn are made in a timely manner, but we are also unable to ring in credit cards. Now, while this presents a very real timing issue to our guests, it also creates the most fundamental system breakdown within the workings of a restaurant. Since I so rarely get the opportunity to express my creative side, let me break it down for you in script form…..

SERVER: Martha, I think the computer isn’t working…..it’s like stuck or something.
MARTHA: (Trying not to panic)…Okay, let me look at it.

(On Martha as she clicks on a couple buttons, then just unplugs and plugs the terminal back in. Computer reboots, but only to the windows screen. Alas, no POS (point of sale) software.)

MARTHA: (Trying not to cry, with shaky fake-leadership voice) Okay everyone, the computer is not working. Not sure why, but I’ll call our tech guy and see what I can do. In the meantime, use the manual credit card slips and the little manual-card-slider-thingy until I can figure this out.
SERVERS/BARTENDERS: (Overlapping, but in earshot of Martha) Crap. / This shit always happens. / I hate this freaking system. / Now what?

(Pan over to customer as she waves her arm at Martha signaling that she wants her check as Martha is clearly on the phone with tech support……)

MARTHA: (whispering into the phone to the tech guy) Is there any immediate way to pull up a check to print out for the customer that’s currently freakishly gesticulating 2 feet above her head that she’d like to sign a check?
TECH SUPPORT: uh nope…not yet. Sorry.
MARTHA: (to server) If you remember what they ordered, will you write it all out, add up the prices, times it by 9.75% and give it to them?
SERVER: Do we have a calculator?
MARTHA: (literally about to strangle the phone cord around the server’s neck, but continues on in the fake leadership voice, but slightly slower and higher pitched) Just..Look..In..The..Office.........I’m..Sure..You..Will..Find..One..There.

(On server as she walks to the office, Bartender approaches Martha….)

BARTENDER: Martha, table 24 is really pissed that they haven’t gotten their food yet.
MARTHA: Did you make sure the kitchen has their ticket? You know the system is down. You have to hand write tickets until it’s fixed.
BARTENDER: Oh crap!
MARTHA: (looking around the room for any sharp object, but restrains and whispers to herself) It’s ok. This WILL get fixed. It could be worse.

Now, to my readers, I ask that you imagine this scenario, multiply it by 250 guests on a Friday night, and then follow the thought up with an image of me reading a one-star review on Yelp.com the next morning that goes something like…..

Went to HH last night….OMFG, the service was sooooooo slow! Our server said the computers were down or something, but c’mon people! Get it together. I come into your restaurant, give you my money, and in return, they take like 10 minutes just to get me the freaking check. DIS…ORG…ANIZED! No thanks!

Well, I hope from this little Oscar-worthy short, you will learn a couple of things…

A) That people who Yelp like this on a website that affects the reputation and bottom line of a business, are DOUCHEY!! And if you’re one of them, redeem yourself and delete it!

B) That when computers break in a restaurant, you should only take it out on the server!! Not the business! Not the owner! Just the SERVER! That’s what they’re there for!

Now, to add another layer to being a small business owner, I’ve been forced to learn the importance of insurance. Currently, we are not only being sued for a slip and fall by a woman I think actually had a momentary lapse in balance, but also by a man in a wheelchair who has made a career by patronizing restaurants in order to find flaws in their ADA compliancy. He believes that we caused him $5000 worth of pain and suffering because the bathroom mirror was 2 inches too high. FYI, this guy made over $500,000 last year doing exactly this. However bad it gets though, everyday I still find the strength to know and understand that, “It could be worse.”

Is that wrong? I mean, it COULD be worse. I could be uninsured, I could be broke, I could be roofless….Hell, I could be mangled or paralyzed! I could be DEAD…..or worse, I could be single in LA! But alas, I AM insured, I DO have money, I DO have a roof, I’m NOT mangled or paralyzed, I’m alive and healthy……and thank God, I found someone dumb enough to marry me. So, since my reflexive comparison is between whether the computers crashing on a Friday night or death and destruction, then yes, IT COULD BE WORSE!! And sadly, yes, that makes me feel MUCH better ….because, for the most part, it’s because of ME that it’s NOT WORSE!

Now, I am aware that this may be a heavy way of thinking. 2010 was a heavy year for me! But I’ve looked it in the eye, kicked it in the balls, spit in it’s face and come out of it stronger than I’ve ever been in my life. For this, I can proudly say, IT WASN’T WORSE because I fought hard! With that, 2011, I’m not afraid of you! I’m ready, I’m charged, and I’ll kick your friggin ass if you make me do it!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Feb 27 2011, 12:33 AM
PhoenixRising05
I've heard she's hard to work with, and if she's anything IRL like she sounds on her blog, I believe it. It's a shame, though, because she's a good actress.
Oh, I've always heard that too and always assumed her reputation was a big reason why she hasn't found work in soaps but I still can't believe she hasn't found more in primetime (like cameos or something) or maybe on the indie film circuit.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

lysie
Feb 27 2011, 12:33 AM
PhoenixRising05
I like her, but she's always came off very diva-ish to me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Grandpa Hughes
Feb 27 2011, 12:34 AM
PhoenixRising05
She didn't mention working on the Web soap "The Bay" which sort of surprises me! It isn't network TV but still...!
That is strange. I think she is very talented but I think she is showing her true colors a bit publicly now.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Feb 27 2011, 12:35 AM
PhoenixRising05
I think the restaurant business is kicking her ass, LoL.

Did you see this blog entry from a few months ago?
Quote:

Also at work, I face daily struggles that lie mostly in the technological realm. Broken computers, tv’s sound systems, lighting, kitchen equipment…..basically anything with a cord. Let me give all of you non-restaurant people an example…..On any given day, if the computers go out, we are not only unable to ring in orders and send them to the kitchen or bar , where they in turn are made in a timely manner, but we are also unable to ring in credit cards. Now, while this presents a very real timing issue to our guests, it also creates the most fundamental system breakdown within the workings of a restaurant. Since I so rarely get the opportunity to express my creative side, let me break it down for you in script form…..

SERVER: Martha, I think the computer isn’t working…..it’s like stuck or something.
MARTHA: (Trying not to panic)…Okay, let me look at it.

(On Martha as she clicks on a couple buttons, then just unplugs and plugs the terminal back in. Computer reboots, but only to the windows screen. Alas, no POS (point of sale) software.)

MARTHA: (Trying not to cry, with shaky fake-leadership voice) Okay everyone, the computer is not working. Not sure why, but I’ll call our tech guy and see what I can do. In the meantime, use the manual credit card slips and the little manual-card-slider-thingy until I can figure this out.
SERVERS/BARTENDERS: (Overlapping, but in earshot of Martha) Crap. / This shit always happens. / I hate this freaking system. / Now what?

(Pan over to customer as she waves her arm at Martha signaling that she wants her check as Martha is clearly on the phone with tech support……)

MARTHA: (whispering into the phone to the tech guy) Is there any immediate way to pull up a check to print out for the customer that’s currently freakishly gesticulating 2 feet above her head that she’d like to sign a check?
TECH SUPPORT: uh nope…not yet. Sorry.
MARTHA: (to server) If you remember what they ordered, will you write it all out, add up the prices, times it by 9.75% and give it to them?
SERVER: Do we have a calculator?
MARTHA: (literally about to strangle the phone cord around the server’s neck, but continues on in the fake leadership voice, but slightly slower and higher pitched) Just..Look..In..The..Office.........I’m..Sure..You..Will..Find..One..There.

(On server as she walks to the office, Bartender approaches Martha….)

BARTENDER: Martha, table 24 is really pissed that they haven’t gotten their food yet.
MARTHA: Did you make sure the kitchen has their ticket? You know the system is down. You have to hand write tickets until it’s fixed.
BARTENDER: Oh crap!
MARTHA: (looking around the room for any sharp object, but restrains and whispers to herself) It’s ok. This WILL get fixed. It could be worse.

Now, to my readers, I ask that you imagine this scenario, multiply it by 250 guests on a Friday night, and then follow the thought up with an image of me reading a one-star review on Yelp.com the next morning that goes something like…..

Went to HH last night….OMFG, the service was sooooooo slow! Our server said the computers were down or something, but c’mon people! Get it together. I come into your restaurant, give you my money, and in return, they take like 10 minutes just to get me the freaking check. DIS…ORG…ANIZED! No thanks!

Well, I hope from this little Oscar-worthy short, you will learn a couple of things…

A) That people who Yelp like this on a website that affects the reputation and bottom line of a business, are DOUCHEY!! And if you’re one of them, redeem yourself and delete it!

B) That when computers break in a restaurant, you should only take it out on the server!! Not the business! Not the owner! Just the SERVER! That’s what they’re there for!

Now, to add another layer to being a small business owner, I’ve been forced to learn the importance of insurance. Currently, we are not only being sued for a slip and fall by a woman I think actually had a momentary lapse in balance, but also by a man in a wheelchair who has made a career by patronizing restaurants in order to find flaws in their ADA compliancy. He believes that we caused him $5000 worth of pain and suffering because the bathroom mirror was 2 inches too high. FYI, this guy made over $500,000 last year doing exactly this. However bad it gets though, everyday I still find the strength to know and understand that, “It could be worse.”

Is that wrong? I mean, it COULD be worse. I could be uninsured, I could be broke, I could be roofless….Hell, I could be mangled or paralyzed! I could be DEAD…..or worse, I could be single in LA! But alas, I AM insured, I DO have money, I DO have a roof, I’m NOT mangled or paralyzed, I’m alive and healthy……and thank God, I found someone dumb enough to marry me. So, since my reflexive comparison is between whether the computers crashing on a Friday night or death and destruction, then yes, IT COULD BE WORSE!! And sadly, yes, that makes me feel MUCH better ….because, for the most part, it’s because of ME that it’s NOT WORSE!

Now, I am aware that this may be a heavy way of thinking. 2010 was a heavy year for me! But I’ve looked it in the eye, kicked it in the balls, spit in it’s face and come out of it stronger than I’ve ever been in my life. For this, I can proudly say, IT WASN’T WORSE because I fought hard! With that, 2011, I’m not afraid of you! I’m ready, I’m charged, and I’ll kick your friggin ass if you make me do it!
Hmm.

I think it's the restaurant business but I also think she hates not finding other acting work. She tried to act like she was ok with her new life for a little bit but it's clear she's frustrated IMO.

Ellie

Grandpa Hughes
Feb 27 2011, 12:34 AM
PhoenixRising05
Excellent point. Wonder why she never mentions it. Sounds like she's not considering it real work. (Of course, whatever she's being paid could be contributing to that.)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Since I wait tables for a living, I read that last blog post about the downed POS system and acted as my own little "amen" corner. We had the same thing happen last Friday. Thankfully, it was at the beginning of the night and got fixed before it got really nightmarish. Honestly, working in fine dining restaurants is not for the squemish nor the faint of heart.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

The other thing that bothered me about her blog entries was all the trashing of Yelp. It seems like she's not the "instant feedback" type, be it the Yelp contributors or the soap audience. Part of owning a restaurant is getting reviews. Now, I mean, if someone's reading Yelp and sees all positive posts and then one negative one, they'll know it was just an off night or that the reviewer is picky. But seriously, if a restaurant is getting a lot of negative reviews, there's a reason.

Maybe Martha can't afford it, but if she can, she needs to hire a restaurant manager and just run it from home. It will probably take a lot of the day to day stress off of her, and someone with training in the business will be running the place. (Though from what I hear, the restaurant is doing very well. I have friends who like to eat there and really like the food and atmosphere.)

Ellie

Matt
Feb 27 2011, 12:49 AM
Honestly, working in fine dining restaurants is not for the squemish nor the faint of heart.
Right, that's what I'd think - I've never worked in that field, but it doesn't sound like it's the right day-to-day job for Martha.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply