Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 83rd Annual Academy Awards; 8:30PM/ET on ABC
Topic Started: Feb 27 2011, 01:01 PM (10,403 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Mitchapalooza
Feb 28 2011, 02:14 PM
The children singing "Over the Rainbow" at the end was one of the LAMEST endings I have ever witnessed. OMG...SUGARY SWEET overload x 10000!

The signing was also just ok...I was more annoyed at the end.
It would have helped if they had explained why they were there. The kids singing and the winners coming out near the end of that was confusing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Mitchapalooza
Feb 28 2011, 02:20 PM
All of the acting winners were the most deserving...Anne Hathaway did an awesome job, Frano slept through his hosting duties and I hope is never asked back (he SUCKED!).

Loved Melissa Leo's F-Bomb on national TV...but again "The King's Speech" winning was the biggest joke since CRASH won Best Picture a few years ago.
I'll admit freely that I haven't seen any of the nominees other than Toy Story 3, but everyone that I've heard talk about The King's Speech said it should win Best Picture -- and these are people primarily in their early to mid 20s that I overhear making general conversation during dinner while I wait on them. From what I've gathered, the general concensus of these people is that the award should either go to The King's Speech or True Grit (oddly, the younger ones liked The King's Speech while the 30-somethings liked True Grit). Barely anyone mentions Inception outside of the great special effects.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

The King's Speech also won the most prestigious pre-cursors awards this year (PGA, DGA, and BAFTA). It was always going to win, barring a major upset. So, I don't quite understand why people are seeing this as some sort of joke or conspiracy.

The film was a major hit with critics, and it's done very respectable at the worldwide box office (raking in over $200 million thus far).

Is it a person favourite of mine or what I was rooting for? Probably not, but I fail to see how it winning is some sort of big joke.

The Social Network had the most hype going into award season, and it LOST it all by the end with the horrific campaigning Sony did for it. As far as Oscar campaigns go (and yes people, it is a campaign/race), The King's Speech had the most subtle and effective campaign from the Weinstein's. And a film like Inception was polarizing, you're either going to really hate it or really love it. Nolan's work tends to garner similar feelings from people within Hollywood.

Kenny
Member Avatar

According to the article I just read at E! Online, James Franco was a no-show to the post-Oscar parties last night because he was "embarrassed" about his hosting performance and he didn't want to face the criticism.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny
Feb 28 2011, 04:37 PM
According to the article I just read at E! Online, James Franco was a no-show to the post-Oscar parties last night because he was "embarrassed" about his hosting performance and he didn't want to face the criticism.
I love it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Kenny
That's odd, because Anne Hathaway just said on Oprah that he left almost right after the Oscars to catch a plane so he could go to class today.
Edited by Matt, Feb 28 2011, 04:39 PM.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

darraholic
Feb 28 2011, 11:39 AM
Kunis was good but IMO any actress could have played that part. The actress that played the mother deserved a nomination IMO.
YES! I was surprised and disappointed to see that Barbara Hershey didn't even get a nomination! It was hard to keep Kunis separate from several other bitchy characters!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
The children singing "Over the Rainbow" at the end was one of the LAMEST endings I have ever witnessed. OMG...SUGARY SWEET overload x 10000!

I was vaguely aware of some kids singing but by then, I must have been "multitasking"! I was happy with some of the winners and this is the first year in quite awhile that I actually SAW several of the movies before the ceremony! I can't comment on the kids but Kirk Douglas has a law suit against his family! Trust me, I'm the LAST person to think a stroke is funny! It was disturbing to me seeing that legend up there working the cheap seats with that AWFUL material as (some) people laughed at him!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Feb 28 2011, 02:22 PM
lysie
Feb 27 2011, 09:03 PM
Grandpa Hughes
Feb 27 2011, 09:02 PM
NOT funny, Justin!
I laughed....
Me too...that was hilarious!
Oh that JT!! :D :D Witty little fuck isn't he, mimicking a dead man walking?

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

Mason
Feb 28 2011, 04:38 PM
Kenny
I love it.
He was probably sleeping it off! He doesn't strike me as the type who shames easily!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Miss Rhi
Feb 28 2011, 03:08 PM
Mitchapalooza

It would have helped if they had explained why they were there. The kids singing and the winners coming out near the end of that was confusing.
They explained on the pre-show and Anne introduced who they were. I think they did plenty enough.

The kids are on Oprah right now singing with Katy Perry (she flew all the way back from Vienna overnight to sing with them on Oprah). It's pretty cool. I'm happy for them. It has to be amazing. I still think that was the best moment of the night them singing at the end. We need more of that at awards shows and on TV, in general, and less of the other garbage.

I'm glad Franco seems to realize how bad he was. I hope he apologized to Anne personally because she suffered just as much as we did watching.

I don't think anyone is surprised The King's Speech won but it should've never been the favorite or the choice for any of these awards (aside from maybe the BAFTA's). The Social Network, True Grit, Black Swan, Toy Story 3, and Inception all were better and all struck a chord with critics AND fans alike (and by fans I mean the mainstream). To me a best picture winner needs to be a film that makes more of an impact beyond a bunch of out of touch voters. How else can it always be remembered? A few years from now The King's Speech will be forgotten, much like the past few best picture winners.

I agree that Inception was very polarizing but that is just good filmmaking. It's better to have people react like that than to not have any reaction at all. Most people I know loved it and it was very well received by critics and fans but, as has been noted, there seemed to be a reaction that was one extreme or another. Either a fan or critic loved it or they hated it. There was no in between.

Toy Story 3 should've been the choice IMO. Pixar (and animated films in general) are overdue for a best picture win. That movie WAS a best picture winner in every sense of the word.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I don't believe the rumours about Franco skipping because he was embarassed....he doesn't strike me as that kind of person. He has a "who cares? who gives a fuck" kind of attitude.

His hosting was pretty shitty, but the media is blowing it up into something it was not. It certainly was not the worst hosting duties on an award show (I am looking at you Vanessa Williams...). You could tell he just was not into it (certainly not as much as Hathaway was).

But whatever, people need to get over it and move on, so what, he bombed, big deal...I still like him.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

All right, whether they explained the kids or not, I missed it! What was the big deal?

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

And yes The King's Speech is a good movie, but Best Picture good?? I don't think so. Colin Firth WAS that movie and he 100% deserved to win Best Actor, but on the whole, the movie itself just should not have won Best Picture (I would have picked The Social Network/Toy Story 3 or Inception).

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Grandpa Hughes
Feb 28 2011, 05:09 PM
All right, whether they explained the kids or not, I missed it! What was the big deal?
I agree...still doesn't change the fact that it was just lame with a huge sugary side of cheesy.

Okay its a well signing children's choir...what is the appeal here? Am I missing something? People are acting like the queen of england took a golden plated dump on the Oscar stage or something.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
Feb 28 2011, 05:13 PM
Grandpa Hughes
I agree...still doesn't change the fact that it was just lame with a huge sugary side of cheesy.

Okay its a well signing children's choir...what is the appeal here? Am I missing something? People are acting like the queen of england took a golden plated dump on the Oscar stage or something.

Maybe it's because I and many others like "sugary sweet" corny stuff like that. It really did bring a tear to my eye and I like the whole "dreams come true" thing with the winners coming out and them singing. It was different and it at least made people feel SOMETHING in what was an otherwise awkward, boring trainwreck. It was just emotional and inspiring and the kids were adorable. That's just a tremendous experience to be that young and get to sing at the ending of the Oscar's. I think if the show had been better and a different movie had perhaps won best picture I and others may not have been so over the moon about the ending. It may not have been so highlighted.

I do agree with you about Franco not being the worst. He's up there though. I think Baldwin and Martin last year were much worse in terms of the Oscar's.

I also agree about Firth. That movie was all him. it was nothing but a TV movie of the week for me. Nothing special at all. The three movies you mentioned along with Black Swan and True Grit should've been the films it came down too, probably coming down to The Social Network vs Toy Story 3.

And I'm sorry but this campaigning business is stupid. It always has been. Why should anyone have to campaign? The voters should just vote what is the best film and that's that. No ass kissing or BS involved. Just watch the ten films and vote which one was best. Period.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Feb 28 2011, 05:24 PM
Mitchapalooza
Feb 28 2011, 05:13 PM
Grandpa Hughes

Maybe it's because I and many others like "sugary sweet" corny stuff like that. It really did bring a tear to my eye and I like the whole "dreams come true" thing with the winners coming out and them singing. It was different and it at least made people feel SOMETHING in what was an otherwise awkward, boring trainwreck. It was just emotional and inspiring and the kids were adorable. That's just a tremendous experience to be that young and get to sing at the ending of the Oscar's. I think if the show had been better and a different movie had perhaps won best picture I and others may not have been so over the moon about the ending. It may not have been so highlighted.

I do agree with you about Franco not being the worst. He's up there though. I think Baldwin and Martin last year were much worse in terms of the Oscar's.

I also agree about Firth. That movie was all him. it was nothing but a TV movie of the week for me. Nothing special at all. The three movies you mentioned along with Black Swan and True Grit should've been the films it came down too, probably coming down to The Social Network vs Toy Story 3.

And I'm sorry but this campaigning business is stupid. It always has been. Why should anyone have to campaign? The voters should just vote what is the best film and that's that. No ass kissing or BS involved. Just watch the ten films and vote which one was best. Period.
Without the campaigning, I would have never seen the DVDs in time! I was seeing "signing" as "singing"! If I hadn't been distracted I may have gotten misty at that myself but I doubt it because I wasn't emotionally invested in the show at all! I loved TRUE GRIT, which surprised the hell out of me since I read the book and loved the original movie! THE FIGHTER was gritty but real and an "actor's movie"! It was my favorite of the nominees I saw! They really nailed the accents and feel of Lowell which is one depressing burg!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

The King's Speech grossed more domestically and worldwide than Black Swan and The Social Network. What else do we use to judge a mainstream following other than box office gross? The critics also loved the film as much, and if not more so than the other two mentioned.

A film like Inception never stood a chance, it's not the type of film Hollywood honours, and sadly, Toy Story 3 being animated counts against it - when it probably was better than all the nominated films this year.

The Oscar's are all politics, like any award show. Outside of some popular films being nominated like Toy Story 3, they almost never give awards to films that have had a big popular following. The Oscar's are all about campaigning for films, as I doubt most of the Academy watches all these films.

The King's Speech scored well with critics and Hollywood insiders. I may not have been a big fan of it, but it was by no means one of the worst judged films last year. The reviews were very strong, and the film did gain an audience judging by the gradual box office response.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I don't think The King's Speech was anything close to one of the worst movie last year...it deserved to be one of the 10 BP nominees...but when it comes to winning BP, I just felt it did not deserve that honour.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Again King's Speech was good, but not the best picture of the year. At the end of the movie I didn't feel all mushy and happy that he was successful. Colin Firth deserved it completely. It was a typical British historical drama. I thought The Queen that came out a couple of years ago was actually better than King's Speech. But I do laugh that my brother thought it was fantastic and he NEVER likes these types of movies. The real test will be a couple of years from now and we look at the movies nominated to see which was the best.

It seems like at some point realized that Franco saw it wasn't going well and just said "Whatever" and really stopped caring.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply