Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Emmerdale' announces new series producer
Topic Started: Mar 16 2011, 04:28 PM (894 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a309223/emmerdale-announces-new-series-producer.html

'Emmerdale' announces new series producer
Wednesday, March 16 2011, 08:41 GMT
By Daniel Kilkelly, Soaps Editor

Emmerdale has today announced the appointment of Stuart Blackburn as the soap's new series producer.

Blackburn - who has been working as the ITV1 drama's story editor since 2009 - takes up the post with immediate effect and will chair his first long-term story conference this week.

The programme's new showrunner succeeds the late Gavin Blyth, who passed away last November following a short period of ill health. Blyth had steered a successful revamp period for the programme, introducing new characters and families and overseeing acclaimed storylines.

Speaking of his new position, Blackburn commented: "This job is very special to me because producing is the ultimate form of storytelling and I've always been very passionate about drama in my working life.

"This is without doubt the most exciting day of my career. I feel a massive responsibility as well as excitement. We'll never be complacent at Emmerdale as it's important we look forward. Together with the cast and crew, we'll continue to work extremely hard to improve what Gavin had started."

Blackburn's first association with Emmerdale came 13 years ago when he joined the soap as a storyliner. He later went on to work on Sky's Dream Team, ITV1's The Bill and BBC One's Ballykissangel among others.

He returned to the world of soap five years ago when he took on the post of story editor at Coronation Street, where his working relationship with Gavin Blyth began. Consequently, when Blyth became Emmerdale's series producer in 2009, Blackburn was invited to re-join the show's team as story editor.

Discussing Emmerdale's future, John Whiston, ITV Studios' creative director for soaps, said: "Stuart Blackburn has a unique combination of the perfect pedigree and the fire in his belly to take Emmerdale to new heights.

"I'm really glad he threw his hat into the ring for the producer's job and I'm confident the show will now build not just on the foundations that Gavin laid but also on the amazing work that [assistant producer] Tony Hammond and the team have done to carry on Gavin's legacy."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

This doesn't make me happy.
Quote Post Goto Top

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Amello
Mar 16 2011, 04:32 PM
This doesn't make me happy.
You were really hoping for Marquess, weren't you? ;)

darraholic
Member Avatar

What's so bad about him Mello?

darraholic
Member Avatar

Have they announced who is taking over Hollyoaks yet?

Deleted User
Deleted User

darraholic
Mar 16 2011, 08:57 PM
Have they announced who is taking over Hollyoaks yet?
A long time ago. Note the date. LoL

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a296375/hollyoaks-announces-new-producer.html

As for the new Emmerdale producer, he's one of Gavin Blythe's lackeys so he probably won't change the show much, unfortunately. I could be wrong though and I hope I am.

I have this wary feeling Steve Halliwell (Zak) may get written out. Heck, it feels like this rape story could see the end of that whole side of the Dingle family (the first Dingles to ever come to Emmerdale.) Of course, I always fear the worst, naturally. :unsure:

Think of this what you will but Stuart's first story (it seems) is that Ella will take on a toyboy. Probably Adam.
Quote Post Goto Top

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Also, Steve November interview:

Part 1: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/interviews/a309411/steve-november-executive-producer-emmerdale.html

Part 2: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/scoop/a309415/more-emmerdale-chat-from-steve-november.html

Deleted User
Deleted User

My poor David, stuck in the vortex of suck that is the Jake story. Though, maybe the weird Amy/David flirtation will go some where?

If Victoria actually gets a lead story, I will jump for fucking joy. It's about time. I've missed Laurel as well and hope her and Ashley's story will be good too. Also, putting Debbie back at forefront is something I am very happy about.

I could care less about the Bartons vs. the Macey's. What a damn snooze that is going to be. Especially since 3/4 of each family CAN'T ACT!

Worst of all though is Steve November. All his answers we're basically, "The viewers are idiots, EMMERDALE ROCKS!" What an ignoramus.
Quote Post Goto Top

CarlD2

Exactly, Amello. So much time in that interview was spent talking down to viewers. Many of their stories haven't worked out well at all and it comes across as defensive. I especially love the notion that Ryan had to go because he was overused. Ryan barely was in any story even when it was supposed to be about him! I also love how he pretends that Viv's and Terry's death was some type of noble experiment. Then there's the part about how the Maceys were deliberately brought in slowly. Even if they were, who cares? They are dishwater dull and can't act worth a damn. Besides, Blyth never did anything with his new families - the Bartons were stuck in tedious non-stories that isolated them, and the Sharmas have at best served as a plot device for other characters.

Blyth did a poor job pacing and setting up stories and an even worse job with new characters, and also failed with most of the veteran characters. Awful stuff like Jackson's accident, a story that never ends and has destroyed any potential ever for Jackson, Aaron, and Jackson's annoying, pointless mother, is a good example of the storytelling. One big stunt and then a slow shrug. They also ruined the Wyldes and their ending was a big anticlimax.

I think November's line about if the original cast had been kept around the show would still be the way it was then says something about their contempt for the true spirit of Emmerdale. Most of those actors left, they weren't fired, but even if they had been, why are you bragging about them being fired? Those episodes are worth ten of anything on Emmerdale in recent years.

This is the new farmhand they have cast. He doesn't do anything for me but maybe it's just the photo.

http://www.theemmerdaily.com/emmerdale_news/content.asp?ni=249

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · British Soap Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply