Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOW: At A Glance - Peter Reckell; 4/12 issue
Topic Started: Mar 30 2011, 08:42 PM (6,348 Views)
Keith
Member Avatar

Tim, I simply can't agree with getting rid of them. The show has already lost so much heart. Bo and Hope have been part of the heart of this show for too long. Maggie didn't get story for years - and the capacity they used her in didn't have people clamoring to just get rid of her. Bo and Hope need to have times of being supporting characters, too. I mean, your quote from jane says it all. I love Bo and Hope, but they can't lead story forever. It just sucks that no generation since theirs has produced characters worth caring about long-term.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

paul89

its a good thing that the show has BO and Hope :) they have Jennifer but i miss her with Jack and they do have Abe and Lexie but what they need is John and Marlena and Shawn And Belle :) Chloe Needs Her Best friend Belle From School and it would be fun if they have Mimi
Edited by paul89, Apr 2 2011, 06:58 PM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

I'm thinking the Bope story will be investigating the organ ring. Now that Hope is safe and out of prison, I could see Bo trying to figure out the mastermind behind it and that will eventually dovetail into MelaME and San Francisco's search for Arianna's killer. If this is what they do, I can see Dr. Tan and Jen getting thrown into this story.

ETA: Dammit I just typed Mel at first, so I had to go back and fix it so her name would render properly. :)
Edited by tomsawyer, Apr 2 2011, 07:57 PM.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

AlisonLou
Mar 31 2011, 12:57 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 31 2011, 12:30 AM
DrewHamilton
Mar 30 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sure there's going to be a crime that needs to be solved and Bo and Hope will be featured to do so. That's classic Higley there.
Exactly. That is the stuff she loves to write for them.

I have a feeling for some reason they will be involved in the MelaME/San Francisco story (since it's clear they will build something around Arianna's killer) which for some reason I think will tie in with Chloe/Quinn. I just get that feeling. PR said the story wasn't his and I highly doubt it will be another Hope story.

Ugh. Just get rid of them if this is all your going to give them
It could be. But maybe they are going to be helping The Diva find Real Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald and bring down Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald 2.
They would be going up against tyhe DiMeras. I could see them exposing the DiMeras.
Hope already knows about The Diva's problems with Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald.
So I'm guessing that Bo and Hope will figure out the truth about the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald's.
I just hope they are not using Bo and Hope to keep the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald story going or trying to make the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald sl more interesting.
I'm sick of the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald sl already. It needs to be dumped.
Knowing Dena it will be dragged out till November.
I'm glad that Bo and Hope are going to be on more.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Bo and Hope somehow involved with The Diva and Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald All of these storylines that were/are left hanging can be tied together showing the involvement of the Dimeras-- Ari's death, the organ ring, the two Luis Lopez-Fitzgeralds. Bo and Hope could well start out investigating one of these things and find that it leads to the others, ,too.

GG said that Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald2 would be gone around Easter, but he also said that there would be a lot for SAFE to work through. One of those things may be the death of Fay, since Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald2 is the killer. Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald could well be blamed for that since no one but the Dimeras knows that there were two Luis Lopez-Fitzgeralds, besides Fay, who will be dead. Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald could be blamed for her death, Bo and Hope could help absolve him of the crime while implicating the Dimeras.
Edited by magicsteacher, Apr 2 2011, 09:11 PM.

mellie277
Member Avatar

magicsteacher
Apr 2 2011, 09:07 PM
AlisonLou
Mar 31 2011, 12:57 AM
PhoenixRising05
Mar 31 2011, 12:30 AM
DrewHamilton
Mar 30 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm sure there's going to be a crime that needs to be solved and Bo and Hope will be featured to do so. That's classic Higley there.
Exactly. That is the stuff she loves to write for them.

I have a feeling for some reason they will be involved in the MelaME/San Francisco story (since it's clear they will build something around Arianna's killer) which for some reason I think will tie in with Chloe/Quinn. I just get that feeling. PR said the story wasn't his and I highly doubt it will be another Hope story.

Ugh. Just get rid of them if this is all your going to give them
It could be. But maybe they are going to be helping The Diva find Real Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald and bring down Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald 2.
They would be going up against tyhe DiMeras. I could see them exposing the DiMeras.
Hope already knows about The Diva's problems with Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald.
So I'm guessing that Bo and Hope will figure out the truth about the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald's.
I just hope they are not using Bo and Hope to keep the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald story going or trying to make the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald sl more interesting.
I'm sick of the Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald sl already. It needs to be dumped.
Knowing Dena it will be dragged out till November.
I'm glad that Bo and Hope are going to be on more.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Bo and Hope somehow involved with The Diva and Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald All of these storylines that were/are left hanging can be tied together showing the involvement of the Dimeras-- Ari's death, the organ ring, the two Luis Lopez-Fitzgeralds. Bo and Hope could well start out investigating one of these things and find that it leads to the others, ,too.

GG said that Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald2 would be gone around Easter, but he also said that there would be a lot for SAFE to work through. One of those things may be the death of Fay, since Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald2 is the killer. Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald could well be blamed for that since no one but the Dimeras knows that there were two Luis Lopez-Fitzgeralds, besides Fay, who will be dead. Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald could be blamed for her death, Bo and Hope could help absolve him of the crime while implicating the Dimeras.
for Bope's sake I hope they keep them out of this lame ass story.......enough characters have gone down at the alter of trying to give Mr. Can't Act a sl........ :puke:

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

CynthiaHaskins1
Mar 31 2011, 07:47 AM
Hi!,I am sorry to say this but bo and hope are not going nowhere and beside kristian alfonso just sign new contract with days of our lives so she is not going no where.
Hmmmm, tell that to the actors who signed contracts, only to be released soon afterwards. If Deidre Hall isn't safe, ain't NO one safe.

jackjenfan
Member Avatar

I'm happy Bo and Hope will be used in the summer. I just want it to be in their own storyline.

Skatergirl_19
Member Avatar

jackjenfan
Apr 2 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm happy Bo and Hope will be used in the summer. I just want it to be in their own storyline.
I know I am excited for Bope story they are the best!

Kriss4

Keith
Apr 1 2011, 12:45 PM
Tim, I simply can't agree with getting rid of them. The show has already lost so much heart. Bo and Hope have been part of the heart of this show for too long. Maggie didn't get story for years - and the capacity they used her in didn't have people clamoring to just get rid of her. Bo and Hope need to have times of being supporting characters, too. I mean, your quote from jane says it all. I love Bo and Hope, but they can't lead story forever. It just sucks that no generation since theirs has produced characters worth caring about long-term.
Exactly.

I don't think Bo and Hope should EVER be gone from this show, period.

They may not always be leads in a story, but they should have story. Frankly, they've been leads for years and years and years, and if they play supporting for a bit, that's fine, and expected to a certain extent. If they're supporting in a strong story, I have no quarrel with it. But they should always be on the show, and have stories.

Plus, what would we get in return if we lost them?

More strangers...Characters we don't know, and can't care about...Characters whom the writers don't know how to introduce well, so that we continue feeling like we're not in Salem anymore, but in some entirely new place we aren't even sure we want to be in. We hang on for our old "friends"...the characters we know. Take that from us and what've we got? A bunch of new faces that were introduced haphazardly, and lots of times the writers haven't put forth a lot of effort into the planning for their arrival. New faces, but with little or no history attached, and no consistent vision of who they are.

The writers take missteps with the characters we know and love all the time, but at least we know them, and we care enough to be frustrated by it...I'm indifferent to a fairly large percentage of the cast at this point, and the ones who keep me hanging on aren't the newer characters. It's the cast I've known for years and years.

Skatergirl_19
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Apr 2 2011, 10:00 PM

I don't think Bo and Hope should EVER be gone from this show, period.

They may not always be leads in a story, but they should have story. Frankly, they've been leads for years and years and years, and if they play supporting for a bit, that's fine, and expected to a certain extent. If they're supporting in a strong story, I have no quarrel with it. But they should always be on the show, and have stories.

Plus, what would we get in return if we lost them?

More strangers...Characters we don't know, and can't care about...Characters whom the writers don't know how to introduce well, so that we continue feeling like we're not in Salem anymore, but in some entirely new place we aren't even sure we want to be in. We hang on for our old "friends"...the characters we know. Take that from us and what've we got? A bunch of new faces that were introduced haphazardly, and lots of times the writers haven't put forth a lot of effort into the planning for their arrival. New faces, but with little or no history attached, and no consistent vision of who they are.

The writers take missteps with the characters we know and love all the time, but at least we know them, and we care enough to be frustrated by it...I'm indifferent to a fairly large percentage of the cast at this point, and the ones who keep me hanging on aren't the newer characters. It's the cast I've known for years and years.

Exactly, Bope should have a story and they are the best part of days!
Edited by Skatergirl_19, Apr 2 2011, 10:13 PM.

sungrey

My sentiments exactly. The show did survive losing John and Marlena and Steve and Kayla. This would be a link to the old Days gone. I'd still watch out of loyalty, but it would not be the same. Leave Bo and Hope alone and let's see how this story works out.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Keith
I get all that but it's just the same song and dance so I'm speaking from a point of frustration. If we are going to get what we are getting in terms of stories with them, I would much rather see them gone. I was very happy with their roles in early 2009 where they were supporting. If the stories you have in mind for them are the same repetitive, cyclical nonsense we've had for the past few years, than they need to be supporting players only or off the show. And, if you write them off, then you just bring on another supercouple staple to replace them. Not like the ratings will be impacted.

I know some will say it's on the writers for being lazy and terrible and it is but it's also not going to matter. They will always end up together again. You can't sell breakup stories with them. We've seen romantic adventures and how many of their kids have been in danger over the years? Been there, done that. PR even looks over it.

The only thing they could do is bring back Shawn and Belle and throw them in a story with them. That would be fresh and interesting but, other than that. I'm over them aside from them being supporting players.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Apr 2 2011, 11:49 PM
Keith
I get all that but it's just the same song and dance so I'm speaking from a point of frustration. If we are going to get what we are getting in terms of stories with them, I would much rather see them gone. I was very happy with their roles in early 2009 where they were supporting. If the stories you have in mind for them are the same repetitive, cyclical nonsense we've had for the past few years, than they need to be supporting players only or off the show. And, if you write them off, then you just bring on another supercouple staple to replace them. Not like the ratings will be impacted.

I know some will say it's on the writers for being lazy and terrible and it is but it's also not going to matter. They will always end up together again. You can't sell breakup stories with them. We've seen romantic adventures and how many of their kids have been in danger over the years? Been there, done that. PR even looks over it.

The only thing they could do is bring back Shawn and Belle and throw them in a story with them. That would be fresh and interesting but, other than that. I'm over them aside from them being supporting players.
Not having Shawn and Belle on the show really hurts Bope. As Tim said, the writers can't come up with anything fresh with them. If Shelle were there, Bope could at least interact in their kids stories. I think that will currently help Jennifer. We don't always have to see her with Daniel. There have been plenty of scenes with Jen and Abby.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

I definitely agree with bringing Shelle back to help support Bo and Hope. At this point, I don't think they even remember that they have a son and grandchild. They talk so much about their little family with Ciara, but what about their other children? I think the show would definitely benefit from bringing Shawn and Belle back, not just for the sake of Bope, but for characters like Chloe and Arms of Steel who are pretty much alone in their age bracket now. The show established some really strong teenage characters back in 2000, why waste that?

Keith
Member Avatar

Oh, I definitely agree the biggest mistake the writers/producers made was cutting Shawn and Belle. But cutting Bo and Hope is a bigger one. They've been a staple the longest. They don't have the baggage of John and Marlena (a couple which I loved) With Bo and Hope, the two main families stay alive in the hearts of viewers. That has always been the bottom line with them, I think, moreso than their supercoupledom. Together or apart, they represent those two families and have been the most consistent representatives of them for the largest span of time on the frontburner. Its not about whether or not the ratings will drop. Because, let's face it, they won't. We all know that argument is more invalid than most soap marriages. But its also not what I said.

I'm talking about the heart of the show. The thing that keeps a large number of us coming back. Losing Frances and Alice was the last large blow to that. Losing John and Marlena was a big one. (I can't count S/K, as much as I love them. Their familiarity factor overall is nowhere nearly J/M, B/H, or even J/J).

What would have happened if they simply decided that Suzanne Rogers and John Clarke simply weren't needed anymore, because they were background characters. Have Doug and Julie stop by once and a while, still have Alice around, and drum up some new lawyer character. As someone who started watching then I would have been outraged! Because the Bradys and the Hortons are the families that we welcome into our homes. And the DiMeras and Kiriakises are the ones we love to hate.

I'd rather have Bo and Hope around as a presence, a presence that has been with this show in its most recent incarnation for fifteen years! So what, we're just going to throw in the towel because the writers can't figure out what to do with them? Then why do we put up with Roman? Caroline? Maggie? I think it's utter bullshit to call for them to be cut so callously. I realize soaps are in trouble, but that is the last thing to do to a soap that is already so unrecognized. The majority of people tune into soaps to check in with an old friend. Bo and Hope are some of the few of them left and I don't care how they're being featured and to be quite frank, will be glad for them to be featured minimally and recover from the horseshit that Higley has written for them.

I also realize that the Bradys and Hortons have been phased out slowly over the past few years. So, does that means they are not still the heart of the show? No. Idiot that he is, I doubt Corday feels that way. Maggie Horton is front and center to some degree for the first time in years. Will and Abby are young teens. Bo and Hope are just coming back together. Jennifer has just returned. Love him or hate him, we just lost Nathan. Moreover, we just lost Alice and Mickey in a year. And what about Doug and Julie? Do you realize we would NEVER see DAYS' original supercouple ever again? Hope is, for all intents and purposes, their daughter and has been for years, because of what happened to Addie. They could come back to support Maggie and Jennifer and for holidays, but how likely would it be that they would be thought of?

Tim, I realize that you always hold out for the best on this show. I think we all do. I understand your frustration. I just think its misplaced here. No supercouple can just be replaced like they're some place holder. No one could take the place that Bo and Hope hold because no other couple holds those connections (surprisingly). They are the original Arms of Steel/Horton connection and the only one that remains. And I can't call it anything short of callous to just throw your hands up and say get rid of them before you know even know what story they're supporting.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Keith
Apr 3 2011, 12:17 AM
Oh, I definitely agree the biggest mistake the writers/producers made was cutting Shawn and Belle. But cutting Bo and Hope is a bigger one. They've been a staple the longest. They don't have the baggage of John and Marlena (a couple which I loved) With Bo and Hope, the two main families stay alive in the hearts of viewers. That has always been the bottom line with them, I think, moreso than their supercoupledom. Together or apart, they represent those two families and have been the most consistent representatives of them for the largest span of time on the frontburner. Its not about whether or not the ratings will drop. Because, let's face it, they won't. We all know that argument is more invalid than most soap marriages. But its also not what I said.

I'm talking about the heart of the show. The thing that keeps a large number of us coming back. Losing Frances and Alice was the last large blow to that. Losing John and Marlena was a big one. (I can't count S/K, as much as I love them. Their familiarity factor overall is nowhere nearly J/M, B/H, or even J/J).

What would have happened if they simply decided that Suzanne Rogers and John Clarke simply weren't needed anymore, because they were background characters. Have Doug and Julie stop by once and a while, still have Alice around, and drum up some new lawyer character. As someone who started watching then I would have been outraged! Because the Bradys and the Hortons are the families that we welcome into our homes. And the DiMeras and Kiriakises are the ones we love to hate.

I'd rather have Bo and Hope around as a presence, a presence that has been with this show in its most recent incarnation for fifteen years! So what, we're just going to throw in the towel because the writers can't figure out what to do with them? Then why do we put up with Roman? Caroline? Maggie? I think it's utter bullshit to call for them to be cut so callously. I realize soaps are in trouble, but that is the last thing to do to a soap that is already so unrecognized. The majority of people tune into soaps to check in with an old friend. Bo and Hope are some of the few of them left and I don't care how they're being featured and to be quite frank, will be glad for them to be featured minimally and recover from the horseshit that Higley has written for them.

I also realize that the Bradys and Hortons have been phased out slowly over the past few years. So, does that means they are not still the heart of the show? No. Idiot that he is, I doubt Corday feels that way. Maggie Horton is front and center to some degree for the first time in years. Will and Abby are young teens. Bo and Hope are just coming back together. Jennifer has just returned. Love him or hate him, we just lost Nathan. Moreover, we just lost Alice and Mickey in a year. And what about Doug and Julie? Do you realize we would NEVER see DAYS' original supercouple ever again? Hope is, for all intents and purposes, their daughter and has been for years, because of what happened to Addie. They could come back to support Maggie and Jennifer and for holidays, but how likely would it be that they would be thought of?

Tim, I realize that you always hold out for the best on this show. I think we all do. I understand your frustration. I just think its misplaced here. No supercouple can just be replaced like they're some place holder. No one could take the place that Bo and Hope hold because no other couple holds those connections (surprisingly). They are the original Arms of Steel/Horton connection and the only one that remains. And I can't call it anything short of callous to just throw your hands up and say get rid of them before you know even know what story they're supporting.
Great post you nailed it perfectly :hail:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Keith, I realize all that and I'm perfectly fine with them playing supporting roles. However, we've seen regime after regime come in here and do the exact same junk with them and that is what has me so frustrated. That and I feel PR feels the same. Bope don't even have that spark they used to have. I don't even feel like I'm watching them anymore. They seem lifeless and have felt that way since they reunited.

I would never discount their importance or connection but the show survived without both Bo and Hope before (moreso Hope than Bo). I think if you ever did get rid of them, you would have to bring another couple on to fulfill that role but I'm now starting to think that may not be the worst thing. As I said, Bo and Hope don't even feel like Bo and Hope to me. They don't even feel like a part of the show. You have Maggie being more relevant than ever. Jennifer is back. The Diva feels more like The Diva again, at least to me. We are seeing Abe and Lexie more. The Dimera's and Kiriakis' have become major forces. I would just use D&J whenever you can and maybe see about bringing back J&M or maybe just John or Marlena. I also suspect Jack will be back at some point so that helps too.

I just think keeping two characters on the show that feel played out is never the right thing to do. That is the issue with soaps. They keep characters on well past their expiration date. Give them a rest and bring them back later with new life. That is what I feel has helped Jennifer. She IMO has more life to her now than she had for the bulk of her last return. Either play Bo and Hope in supporting roles or I would just cut them loose and then bring on characters like Jack, Lucas, John and/or Marlena, and show a bit more D&J. That along with Jennifer and Maggie IMO is plenty of heart and familiarity for the show.

All I'm saying is that if whatever story you have for them is the same stuff we've seen, than it's just better to give them a rest. That's all. If they have something else in mind or want to use them to support others, than that should work out well. I love Bo and Hope both as a couple and individually. I don't want them written out but I don't want them in their current form either. And it's not just the writing either. They just aren't the same, at least to me.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Apr 3 2011, 12:55 AM.

sungrey

Valid points, all of them. I'm starting to wonder if there even is a "third rail" on Days anymore, but I think Bo and Hope are the closest to it. I think you'd turn off many fans, not to mention you'd lose Doug and Julie, etc. If they want to integrate them as supporting players into the family structure, that's fine.

I can type these four names because I know they won't get changed. The nicknames are cute, gang, but can we do something about editing them? There's something discouraging about typing Bo's last name and seeing it come up Bo Arms of Steel.
Edited by sungrey, Apr 3 2011, 01:02 AM.

KathyRon

PhoenixRising05
Apr 3 2011, 12:55 AM
Keith, I realize all that and I'm perfectly fine with them playing supporting roles. However, we've seen regime after regime come in here and do the exact same junk with them and that is what has me so frustrated. That and I feel PR feels the same. Bope don't even have that spark they used to have. I don't even feel like I'm watching them anymore. They seem lifeless and have felt that way since they reunited.

I would never discount their importance or connection but the show survived without both Bo and Hope before (moreso Hope than Bo). I think if you ever did get rid of them, you would have to bring another couple on to fulfill that role but I'm now starting to think that may not be the worst thing. As I said, Bo and Hope don't even feel like Bo and Hope to me. They don't even feel like a part of the show. You have Maggie being more relevant than ever. Jennifer is back. The Diva feels more like The Diva again, at least to me. We are seeing Abe and Lexie more. The Dimera's and Kiriakis' have become major forces. I would just use D&J whenever you can and maybe see about bringing back J&M or maybe just John or Marlena. I also suspect Jack will be back at some point so that helps too.

I just think keeping two characters on the show that feel played out is never the right thing to do. That is the issue with soaps. They keep characters on well past their expiration date. Give them a rest and bring them back later with new life. That is what I feel has helped Jennifer. She IMO has more life to her now than she had for the bulk of her last return. Either play Bo and Hope in supporting roles or I would just cut them loose and then bring on characters like Jack, Lucas, John and/or Marlena, and show a bit more D&J. That along with Jennifer and Maggie IMO is plenty of heart and familiarity for the show.

All I'm saying is that if whatever story you have for them is the same stuff we've seen, than it's just better to give them a rest. That's all. If they have something else in mind or want to use them to support others, than that should work out well. I love Bo and Hope both as a couple and individually. I don't want them written out but I don't want them in their current form either. And it's not just the writing either. They just aren't the same, at least to me.
Ph here we go again with the others speaking for Peter! :frustration: Peter has recently spoken about Bo and Hope in several recent interviews and personal appearances. I think to say he is tired of playing the Bo and Hope coupling sounds like it is based on opinion and not fact. There are those that are closer to Days actors that would definitely not agree with that statement. So I think it is best to allow Peter to speak for himself and not others! JMO :smile:

hopebrady

PhoenixRising05
Apr 3 2011, 12:55 AM
I think that everyone is entitled to their opinion but stressing that opinion as how the actor feels, doesn't cut it unless you are authorized to speak on that actor's behalf. Have you spoken to Peter? Has he stressed his feelings to you? If the answer is no, then you can't say you think you know how Peter feels. And if you have a source on this issue, that can be easily addressed because you never know who knows who.

That being said, Peter sounds happy and content in his interview, so I just think we should leave him be. No one will make you watch Bo and Hope, but there are A LOT of people that will be watching them, still love to watch them, and will continue to do so and that's what counts.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply