Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Betty White to Host Hidden-Camera Show for NBC; She'll also executive produce
Topic Started: Mar 31 2011, 09:22 PM (227 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Hollywood Reporter

COLOGNE, Germany – 89-year-old actress Betty White isn’t slowing down a bit. The Hot in Cleveland star and seven-time Emmy winner has signed on to host and executive produce NBC’s new hidden camera show Off Their Rockers, an adaptation of the hit Belgium format Benidorm Bastards.

NBC has put in an order for 12 half-hour episodes of Off Their Rockers, picking up the format from German sales group SevenOne International. The show, a golden ager version of Trigger Happy TV, features senior citizens playing pranks on unsuspecting youngsters.

“People have been telling me that I’m ‘Off My Rocker’ for years – now I can prove it,” quipped White.

Chris Coelen (Secret Millionaire) will produce Off Their Rockers for NBC through his company Kinetic Content.

Kinetic’s Matilda Zoltowski and Tim Van Aelst of Belgium shingle Shelter, creator of the original format, will also act as executive producers on the U.S. version.

“Betty White is a comedic genius,” said Paul Telegdy, EVP of alternative programming for NBC and Universal Media Studios, announcing the deal. “Viewers will thoroughly enjoy watching her pull one over on the unsuspecting youth of America.”

Off Their Rockers will mark White’s return to NBC, where she starred on the Peacock’s The Golden Girls for seven seasons. Last year she hosted NBC’s Saturday Night Live, an appearance that won her another Emmy.

Although White recently claimed she wants to cut down on work, her late-career revival keeps picking up speed. TV Land has renewed Hot in Cleveland for a third season, a nod to both the strong buzz and viewership the series has garnered for the older-skewing network. White will also lend her voice to Universal Pictures’ upcoming Dr. Seuss’ adaptation The Lorax and release a new book, If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won’t), on May 3.

White will not participate in any of Off Their Rockers hidden camera gotcha! antics but will bookend the show as host and comment on the prankster clips. The original European format does not have a host.

The Belgium original, Benidorm Bastards, was a huge local hit and has sold to some 20 territories worldwide. Last year it won best comedy and best program honors at European television award show the Rose d’Or.

SevenOne International will handle world sales of Off Their Rockers, in addition to selling the original format and local remake rights.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMan101
Member Avatar

I like the idea and with Betty it's even better. I do find it funny this was announced a week or two after that long article on how NBC is scared of the older demo, etc (in regards to Harry Law's being a ratings hit, but skewing old with an older lead).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply