Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC & OLTL?; This is NOT an April Fool's Joke
Topic Started: Apr 1 2011, 03:24 PM (4,407 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

http://www.tvguide.com/News/ABC-Cancel-Children-1031345.aspx

Quote:

Breaking: Is ABC Preparing to Cancel All My Children and One Life to Live?

Apr 1, 2011 04:07 PM ET
by Michael Logan

God, I hope I'm wrong about this. In recent weeks, there has been a lot of highly reliable buzz about the possible cancellation of ABC's All My Children. But TV Guide Magazine has learned that the network is not just planning to cancel AMC in the coming days but will very likely cancel One Life to Live, as well. Word is, ABC Daytime chief Brian Frons has a talk show and reality show lined up for fall both of them much cheaper to produce than soaps and he needs to clear the schedule. More disturbing, insiders say Frons has been extremely cavalier about all this, showing no signs of sorrow or regret about a drastic decision that will leave General Hospital as the network's only daytime soap. When contacted for comment, ABC Daytime PR chief Jori Petersen told us, "I have no announcement, and these are just rumors that you are hearing. I am sorry to hear that they're escalating but I cannot confirm anything."
Edited by dc cubs, Apr 1 2011, 03:28 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Not looking good.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Can they just cancel these shit shows and shut the hell up already? Damn.
Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar

We'll see if this is still the case on the 4th.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Something is definitely going to happen because there is just too many stories coming out.

I do get the sense one of the reasons they haven't confirmed anything with AMC is that there is another layer to this. They may want to make sure they have two replacements and, once they have that, they will get rid of them. GH pulled out all the stops last year and ended up getting nothing for it so Frons knows budget cuts is the only way. Only thing is, he hates to cut from GH and there isn't much to cut from OLTL and AMC without cuttng them to a half hour or something. I bet he figures he can cur OLTL and AMC and then hand pick his faves from those shows and bring them to GH. That way he uses the money saved to help GH.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

This move will kill the daytime lineup. AMC/OLTL/GH have too many crossover viewers to cancel two of them and think things will be okay. They need to pull AMC this fall, and OLTL in 2012. I can't believe we willl be down to only 4 soaps. :( I am through with daytime if this happens, and will only keep up with DAYS.

I can't imagine not seeing Viki, Dorian, Blair, Tea, etc. ever again. :'(

~bl~
Member Avatar

I agree this will ultimately doom GH too. Some ABC stations may lose viewers when Oprah ends, but this also would be too much. I think announcing it so late on a Friday though was ridiculous. There is no way a press release would be released until Monday and now everyone is going to be freaking out all weekend.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Oh noo, Please don't cancel GH! I can't imagine not seeing Steve Burton daily!
Quote Post Goto Top

Zoe_Zeppelin
Member Avatar
It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van.

I can't trust anything that comes out on April 1st ever. If it turns out to be true, I'll be devastated, but today I can't trust anything.

Tammy
Member Avatar

It makes no sense to me why you would cancel the only show (OLTL) of the 3 that continually comes in under budget! SO stupid!

King
Member Avatar

I agree that it can't be just buzz.

But I disagree with one thing: They won't go at the same time.

And OLTL will go first.

LPS
Member Avatar

It would be stupid to get rid of two at one time. They will probably slowly get rid of them.

And I think it will be AMC. It is time for that show to go. It costs way too much and the viewership and creativity is in the tank. OLTL is so cheap and it doesn't do bad with viewers considering the cost.

Skatergirl_19
Member Avatar

I hate to see anymore soaps go. I don't think they will cancel both shows at once though.

Daytime
Member Avatar

I don't want to lose any show, but if one had to go, I would choose General Hospital. I think One Life to Live has made a turn for the better. jmo

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

Zoe_Zeppelin
Apr 1 2011, 07:06 PM
I can't trust anything that comes out on April 1st ever. If it turns out to be true, I'll be devastated, but today I can't trust anything.
That is what I used to say, then we got word GL was canceled on April 1st two years ago...

blueskies
Member Avatar

i hope it's just a rumor...I just started watching AMC and actually find it entertaining, something i can't say about DOOL half the time; so I really hope this is false; my tv home will be gone when the soaps are gone :(

Drew
Member Avatar

Oprah ending has EVERYONE scrambling to try to be the next "her."

So, on that note - it actually would make alot of sense for ABC to plan a revamp & rebrand for Fall 2011.
Edited by Drew, Apr 1 2011, 11:45 PM.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

It would make me very sad if they canceled OLTL. It's the only soap I DVR and watch these days. I hope this article is wrong.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

They might as well confirm it now. They never use the word "deny" in their responses to the press, merely "can't confirm" - which basically means at least one is cancelled but they haven't crossed the t's and dotted the i's on their replacements yet. When thats done, a formal announcement will be made. Why wait? Announce the cancellations now, announce the replacements later. Not so hard.

~bl~
Member Avatar

That's what happened when GL was cancelled they didn't know what would be airing in its place just that it would be gone.

Poor employees...poor us.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply