Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC & OLTL?; This is NOT an April Fool's Joke
Topic Started: Apr 1 2011, 03:24 PM (4,511 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Southofsoap
Apr 2 2011, 11:43 AM
They might as well confirm it now. They never use the word "deny" in their responses to the press, merely "can't confirm" - which basically means at least one is cancelled but they haven't crossed the t's and dotted the i's on their replacements yet. When thats done, a formal announcement will be made. Why wait? Announce the cancellations now, announce the replacements later. Not so hard.
Yep. I definitely think it's safe to say at least one is gone.

I also agree with Drew in that ABC may think this is the time to completely revamp all of daytime, providing they feel good about the replacements. Oprah will be gone. There has been talk of shifting The View to another time slot. I wonder if they move GH too if this all comes to pass. One thing I've always felt ion recent years is that OLTL would be a much better fit in GH's time alot because OLTL tells alot of stories with young characters. It has alot of young characters and the pacing and feel of the show is more for a younger audience. I think OLTL may be much better in a time slot where they can hook the afterschool audience. However, I doubt OLTL will ever get that chance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

So if Frons going to do another round of Soap Opera Survivor where he pits OLTL & AMC against the other on which one is canceled and then ends up canceling both of them? Like Another World and Sunset Beach?

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

SID just tweeted that AMC is not being canceled and that Lorraine Broderick has been brought in.

sungrey

That's good news for AMC, if that's the case. Kreizman and Swajeski need to be kept far from daytime.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Apr 2 2011, 07:27 PM
SID just tweeted that AMC is not being canceled and that Lorraine Broderick has been brought in.
:rockon: I am over the moon about this news!

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Apr 2 2011, 07:27 PM
I hope this means OLTL is safe for now too.

Ellie

I think though that we have to understand that the people who would make the decision to cancel AMC are very, very far from the people who are tweeting the "ABC SID" account. Even Susan Lucci, who is undoubtedly at the top of the AMC actor food chain, wouldn't necessarily hear about a cancellation much earlier than anyone else. Susan Lucci just told Rachael Ray that she was scheduled out for a year. That really has nothing to do with a cancellation - should the show staff just hit 'pause' until they hear one way or the other? Lucci has to be scheduled far in advance as she travels to LA and is now doing a book tour. Until and unless ABC (not SID) releases a statement denying the rumors, I think AMC viewers should be very worried.

~bl~
Member Avatar

To me changing writers doesn't mean safe. And it could mean they just decided to dump OLTL first. Until we see the ABC daytime schedule for the fall, I am not optimistic that either isn't cancelled.

tracey2011

Amello
Apr 1 2011, 03:33 PM
Can they just cancel these shit shows and shut the hell up already? Damn.
I can deal with the shows but get rid of B&B

Tammy
Member Avatar

I read something somewhere about Oprah's OWN network taking over AMC. I wonder if it was just speculation or a possibility.

Either way if one of them gets canceled, I highly doubt AMC would go first... which pisses me off!

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

♥ Tammy ♥
Apr 3 2011, 12:23 PM
I read something somewhere about Oprah's OWN network taking over AMC. I wonder if it was just speculation or a possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised. She's always been a very self-professed All My Children fan and she's got her own network now. So why not?

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Jamey Giddens was tweeting away about this earlier today.

https://twitter.com/...!/Jamey_Giddens

Quote:

@iluvford123 "Safe" is not the word I'd use. Reprieve is more accurate, and short reprieve at that.

Quote:

ABC soap fans, don't become complacent. KEEP calling, emailing, etc. David and Donna's contracts were up. They had to hire a new head.

Quote:

All head writer contracts are "multi-year". Not being a negative nelly, but Lorraine could just be to wrap the show. Tell Anne Sweeney NO!

Quote:

We have to let ABC know we want AMC and OLTL to continue. Write in, call, keep the fires burning, because AMC nor OLTL are safe. I'm sorry.

Quote:

@delibernation We are going to post contact info on DC. This is no joke. ABC is still planning to gut both those shows.

Quote:

@delibernation I got happy yesterday too, but my sources say smoke and mirrors. Lorraine is just to write the endgame.

Quote:

@delibernation I think the fans have a right to know this. We are all invested. If Jericho fans could mobilize after a season, imagine...

Quote:

I also hear ABC doesn't want to give an official statement until Susan's book tour ends.

Quote:

Now is not the time to stick or heads in the sand, or be coddled by a press release.

Quote:

Brian Frons is also on vacation this week. Middle of April was when the announcements were moved to.

Quote:

@delibernation Your sources are pretty accurate. I heard now OLTL will go first, then AMC, but they will be within months of each other.

Quote:

Brian Frons does not want these shows to continue. Send your letters, calls, emails (all polite and sane...) to Anne Sweeney.

Quote:

Brian Frons micromanaged these shows into the ground, now he wants to replace them with new toys.

alstonboy4315
Member Avatar
"Even iron bends"..Victoria Rowell

If they don't get rid of these HACKS and ASSHOLES...........yes, I am talking about you Julie Hanan Carruthers, as well as those doofuses you hired, Killer Kreizman and Swajeski.............then AMC and OLTL are both going to be figments of our imagination a year from now, just like my beloved ATWT and GL!!!

For fuck's sake, hire some decent people to run these shows and maybe people will start watching again!!!

My gripe is directed primarily at AMC, which is boring as hell on a good day and coma-inducing on a bad day. I seriously can't get through more than three minutes of this show without dry heaving!!!

Something must be done to save Agnes Nixon's two remaining babies!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy
Member Avatar

For fucks sake, sell AMC and OLTL to Oprah and be done with it! I mean she has a whole network, she's gonna need shows lmao!

WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

How much are these show worth, if they were to be sold?

100 million for both? :shrug:

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I know ABC SID has just said that AMC is not being canceled but with so many other people saying the opposite, I don't know what to think.

This is one of those times where only an official statement by the network will suffice.

dylan76
Member Avatar

GH is the one that deserves cancellation the most. Man, that is one consistently shitty, laughably awful show.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Latest news from Michael Logan of TV Guide.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/ABC-All-My-Children-1031429.aspx

Quote:

ABC Daytime Update: All My Children Hires New Head Writer

Apr 4, 2011 11:50 AM ET
by Michael Logan

The plot thickens. In an effort to do damage control after my recent report that ABC plans to end both All My Children and One Life to Live, a rep for the network emailed me and other suds reporters over the weekend with a tip that veteran scribe Lorraine Broderick has been re-hired as head writer at AMC.

No surprise here. The current head writers, Dave Kreizman and Donna Swajeski, have not been successful and were at the end of their contracts. Someone had to take over and Broderick who has a long, highly regarded history with AMC and great respect and affection for the show's history is an ideal choice to wrap things up.

The ABC rep, who did not want attribution for this information, claims Broderick's deal is "multi-year." Some in the press have taken this to mean AMC is now safe. But I'm not budging on the news I delivered last Friday: ABC Daytime chief Brian Frons has marked both soaps for death. More to come...

darraholic
Member Avatar

I could def see Oprah buying the rights to AMC if ABC let her. I'm not sure about OLTL.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

This Lorraine Broderick news is IMO damage control by ABC. I think they are totally still thinking of axing AMC and have brought Broderick in to "wrap things up" respectfully.

The scary thing is though that NO ONE is saying anything about the OLTL side of these rumours...I think OLTL is a goner FOR SURE and the kicker is whether AMC will be going out with it or not.

Man 2011 is not going ot be a good year for soaps...by the end of the year we could have only FOUR soaps left :(

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply