Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TV Guide: Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC & OLTL?; This is NOT an April Fool's Joke
Topic Started: Apr 1 2011, 03:24 PM (4,565 Views)
Ellie

Mitchapalooza
Apr 4 2011, 11:52 AM
This Lorraine Broderick news is IMO damage control by ABC. I think they are totally still thinking of axing AMC and have brought Broderick in to "wrap things up" respectfully.

The scary thing is though that NO ONE is saying anything about the OLTL side of these rumours...I think OLTL is a goner FOR SURE and the kicker is whether AMC will be going out with it or not.

Man 2011 is not going ot be a good year for soaps...by the end of the year we could have only FOUR soaps left :(
Agree with all of this. I don't think OLTL has any chance at this point.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

Ellie
Apr 4 2011, 11:57 AM
Mitchapalooza
Apr 4 2011, 11:52 AM
This Lorraine Broderick news is IMO damage control by ABC. I think they are totally still thinking of axing AMC and have brought Broderick in to "wrap things up" respectfully.

The scary thing is though that NO ONE is saying anything about the OLTL side of these rumours...I think OLTL is a goner FOR SURE and the kicker is whether AMC will be going out with it or not.

Man 2011 is not going ot be a good year for soaps...by the end of the year we could have only FOUR soaps left :(
Agree with all of this. I don't think OLTL has any chance at this point.
I agree. I'm accepting that OLTL is gone.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

Jamey Gidden's from Daytime Confidential has some info on what all this means.

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2011/04/04/what-does-lorraine-brodericks-multi-year-deal-really-mean-for-all-my-children-and-one-lif

Quote:

What Does Lorraine Broderick's "Multi-Year" Deal Really Mean for All My Children and One Life?

Fans of troubled sudser All My Children breathed a sigh of relief this weekend with news of beloved head writer Lorraine Broderick being tapped for a "multi-year" deal. Unfortunately, I am hearing we might want to hold off on buying confetti.

According to several sources, Broderick's deal was a standard head writer contract, and doesn't make AMC any "safer" than One Life to Live. If you'll recall, much fanfare was made when OLTL executive producer Frank Valentini and head writer Ron Carlivati signed three and two-year contracts respectively back in Sept of 2010, yet now OLTL is rumored to be on the chopping block—just slightly ahead of AMC.

"The reality of the situation is that David [Kreizman] and Donna's [Swajeski] deals expired, so they had to hire a new head writer, or pick them up for another cycle," says a source.

Another network insider speculates Broderick—who has written for AMC on and off since 1979—has only been given the top writing job in order to script a proper endgame for the fictional Pine Valley's denizens.

"One Life to Live will likely go off this fall, with All My Children following at midseason," says the mole.

When asked why OLTL was in more immediate danger than AMC, the latter of which Deadline recently speculated was most vulnerable, the source indicated it isn't an issue of favortism, it's simply a matter of OLTL's timeslot being more desirable for the series ABC has in development for fall.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if ABC did the one-two with OLTL & AMC in much the same way that NBC did with AW & SuBe back in the day. I think the speculation that OLTL is gone by the end of the year with AMC following next year are pretty close to being right on the money when you consider the fact that we've had major cancelations/losses as a genre every single year since 2007 (NBC ended PSNS in '07; Direct TV ended PSNS in '08; CBS ended GL in '09; and CBS ended ATWT in '10). That would fit the appropriate time-table for ending OLTL in '11 and AMC in '12. Now, following with this formula & pattern (and considering that NBC's pick-up of DAYS extends only through '13 with an option to go through '14. IMO, if DAYS can't get its shit together, it's going to go down to OLTL in '11; AMC in '12; & DAYS in '13 (perhaps GH in '13 since that'll be its 50th anniversary year?).

Much is often compared to the end of daytime TV soaps in much the same way that the radio soaps died. If you remember correctly, when the radio soaps ended in 1960, there were only 4 left on the air (Ma Perkins; The Second Mrs. Burton; Young Doctor Malone; & The Right to Happiness) and all 4 ended on the same day (November 25, 1960). One has to wonder whether they'll all go out in one fell swoop when the time comes.

Meanwhile, whatever that much-talked-about replacement format for the soap operas (such as how TV soaps replaced radio soaps in format and popularity) needs to be hurrying along. We're starting to run out of time.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

~bl~
Apr 3 2011, 12:06 PM
To me changing writers doesn't mean safe. And it could mean they just decided to dump OLTL first. Until we see the ABC daytime schedule for the fall, I am not optimistic that either isn't cancelled.
Totally agree.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Here's a question. Since ABC owns their soaps... if their "new shows" don't work out, do you think they would ever consider to bring AMC and OLTL back if they got canceled? I have been curious about this for some reason lol.

Deleted User
Deleted User

♥ Tammy ♥
Apr 4 2011, 04:05 PM
Here's a question. Since ABC owns their soaps... if their "new shows" don't work out, do you think they would ever consider to bring AMC and OLTL back if they got canceled? I have been curious about this for some reason lol.
No.
Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

♥ Tammy ♥
I don't think so. They would probably have a lot of trouble getting the actors back after that, etc.

six
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Once the sets for a show are dismantled, that's it.

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Casey
Apr 4 2011, 07:17 PM
♥ Tammy ♥
I don't think so. They would probably have a lot of trouble getting the actors back after that, etc.
I doubt that. Especially for OLTL, but it wouldn't happen anyway unfortunately. :(

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Man this is so depressing as a long-time fan of daytime dramas.

OLTL/AMC going off the airwaves is just SUCH a tragedy.

I hope these rumours are all wrong, but I sadly do not think they are.

What a HORRIBLE blow to ABC daytime, OLTL/AMC fans and of course the genre as a whole. Losing two more soaps is EXTREMELY damaging to the longevity of the 4 that will remain (Y&R/B&B/GH/DAYS).

Funny how the 4 that remain have been the highest 4 rated soaps in demos/hh/viewers over the last 15 years. Ratings certainly matter for something!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply