Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EW: Gay storyline in the works for Days?; Update p. 18: Chandler Massey confirms it's for this summer
Topic Started: Mar 22 2011, 08:39 PM (13,162 Views)
Ellie

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/22/days-of-our-lives-scoop-gay-storyline-coming-to-salem/

'Days of Our Lives': Gay storyline coming to Salem? -- EXCLUSIVE
by Lynette Rice

As Days of Our Lives celebrates its 45th anniversary in daytime, the traditionally conservative soap is about to get a lot more contemporary: EW has learned exclusively that a gay storyline may be in the works! From what we gather, it may involve a current cast member hooking up with someone new.

A show spokeswoman declined to comment.

While competing sudsers have been in the forefront when it comes to same-sex couples - ABC's All My Children, for example, featured the first lesbian character in Bianca Montgomery (Eden Riegel), which led to the first gay marriage between her and Reese Williams (Tamara Braun) - Days has largely played a backseat role when it comes to featuring gay couplings. Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, current and previous cast members like Kristian Alfonzo (Hope Brady), Arianne Zucker (Nicole Walker) and Deidre Hall (Marlena Evans) have hit the road to help promote the book Days of our Lives 45: A Celebration in Photos. Thousands of rabid fans have attended book signings in New York and Chicago, with more planned for New Orleans, Boston, Seattle and Vancouver.

Season to date, Days is second place among women 18-34 and tied for third with ABC's The View among women 18-49.

What are your thoughts, Days fans? Will the new storyline involve Dario Hernandez, maybe? Or perhaps Sami's son Will? Sound off below!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I think it's Will, but not with Chad. They seem to be going with Abby/Chad now. I think it would be a refreshing storyline. I loved Bianca's coming out on AMC.

Mason

Please no. My mother watches this show and I don't want her to have yet another reason to hate my being gay when these idiots inevitably screw it up.

Plus, if it's Will, it'll be ALL about Sami.
Edited by Mason, Mar 22 2011, 08:43 PM.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Ellie
Mar 22 2011, 08:39 PM
EW has learned exclusively that a gay storyline may be in the works! From what we gather, it may involve a current cast member hooking up with someone new.
"May be in the works?" "May involve?" Does this actually count as a story?

I did ROFL at the statement that it may involve a current cast member hooking up with someone new. Well, duh--if Corday could turn over the cast every three months so that everyone was always new he would.

Kenny
Member Avatar

What do they mean a gay storyline may be in the works? Either it is or it isn't. Why report on it if it isn't a done deal?

Anyway, if this comes to pass I'll be very surprised. They might be toying with the idea, but in the end, I don't see Days going there. Not all the way. I don't think we'll ever have a legitimate "gay" storyline or a gay couple on this show. Not with Ken Corday in charge. He's too conservative to greenlight something like that.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Kenny
Mar 22 2011, 08:49 PM
What do they mean a gay storyline may be in the works? Either it is or it isn't. Why report on it if it isn't a done deal?

Anyway, if this comes to pass I'll be very surprised. Although they may be toying with the idea, in the end, I don't see Days going there. I don't think we'll ever have a legitimate "gay" storyline or a gay couple on the canvas. Not with Ken Corday in charge. He's too conservative to allow something like that to play out on this show.
Wasn't this same speculation out there a couple of years ago and never happened? I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.
I agree- if it's not really in the works, then why even bother to bring it up?

psychofan
Member Avatar
#1 Fan of Daytime Psychos!

I would LOVE for the storyline to involve Will. In fact, just watching Will in scenes, I don't buy him as straight at all. I don't know if it's the actor, the actor's portrayal, the writing...but I just see him as gay. This would be awesome if it actually happened. :)

michelle
Member Avatar

How about Carly?

Layla
Member Avatar

Casey
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8505283&t=8479469
I think it's Will, but not with Chad. They seem to be going with Abby/Chad now. I think it would be a refreshing storyline. I loved Bianca's coming out on AMC.
If this is true, I'm thinking it's Will and that new character, "Ryan", from that casting call from a while back.

And if they are going with this storyline, why now? If they really wanted a gay s/l, they should have just went with "Chill", instead of having Gabi/Will (and now Chad/Abby) hook up.
Edited by Layla, Mar 22 2011, 08:59 PM.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Bout time. I think I know more gay men on and off the net that watch Days than straight women.

Ellie

Maybe one of the writers leaked it to EW to test the waters among the fans.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I may be Jewish and I may be 20 and I may be heterosexual and I may have a net worth of 7.5 million.

But I'm not and I don't. Show me the money or shut the fuck up.

dooldooldool

Kenny
Mar 22 2011, 08:49 PM
....if this comes to pass I'll be very surprised. Although they may be toying with the idea, in the end, I don't see Days going there. I don't think we'll ever have a legitimate "gay" storyline or a gay couple on the canvas. Not with Ken Corday in charge. He's too conservative to allow something like that to play out on this show.
Well, perhaps Dena is really in charge.

I think it was pretty obvious that they quickly separated Will and Chad once their sizzling chemistry hit Salem last summer. The argument against gay storylines has always been that it "handcuffs" the character, allowing little story opportunity. I've always believed that was a huge cop-out. Maybe the final weeks of Luke-Noah-Reid on dead ATWT finally showed that there can be interesting triangles (OK, semi-interesting per the ATWT fans).

Surely TPTB can see the awkwardness that is Will+Gaby. As strong as the chemistry was for Will+Chad, the anti-chemistry of Will with either Gabi is just as strong. It would be rather monumental for a Horton/Brady youngster to bat for the other team, but if they are committed to keeping Chandler in the role, they may be willing to risk it, especially since the show is arguably in its final 25 months of production.

As for a Gay DiMera, I think that's dead in the water. Casey seems to love to play that gay tease card, but I'll blame that on an actor seeking to make ANY name for himself. I don't think he would have any problem playing gay (for all we know, maybe MollyyDolly was his beard).

Rather than create yet another DiMera-Brady love/hate drama, maybe it would be best for Will to do some experimenting beyond his Gabi Cuddles. The character should be hitting college soon and Will Horton wouldn't exactly be the first kid to act on his feelings once he became legal.

The thread from last year had all the reasons to have a Gay Will. This EW article does seem rather odd, though. Maybe EW doesn't report things anymore, instead trolling for internet rumors........

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Layla
Mar 22 2011, 08:59 PM
Casey
http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/single/?p=8505283&t=8479469
If this is true, I'm thinking it's Will and that new character, "Ryan", from that casting call from a while back.

And if they are going with this storyline, why now? If they really wanted a gay s/l, they should have just went with "Chill", instead of having Gabi/Will (and now Chad/Abby) hook up.
That is why I don't think it's Will.....I'm also leaning toward Carly (big story or something or other that Crystal is looking forward to? After her addiction I can see them going there if they want to....

I am not really opposed to a gay storyline but if they are going to go with it, Days won't know how to write it....shit they can't even write romance for heterosexual couples correctly so how I expect them to hit all the beats of a gay storyline, not to mention if they go with Will a gay teen storyline...please....PLUS, aside from vocal fans the gay couples create I truly don't think that the shows that have featured gay pairings can claim success at ALL.....actually the majority of them are now off the air aren't they?

Days shouldn't do it.....just MHO.

sungrey

DON'T go there. Unless you can do it in a good and realistic way.

If you are creating a gay story just for the sake of doing a gay story, it is not going to work. I don't mind seeing a story like that at all, but it has to come out of plot and be true to character.

Let's see if this rumor comes to pass.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

If they do this (which I think is a good step for DAYS) PLEASE....PLEASE...dont go back later and say the character really wasnt gay and have him hook up w/someone straight. I think thats really insulting. (Hmm...maybe DAYS shouldnt do it then?)

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Chad and Will! Chad and Will! Chad and Will!

dylan76
Member Avatar

It may be for purely selfish reasons, but if they do this story, I hope it's with a male character. It would be awesome if they did it right. However, count me in the group that doesn't think it will happen.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Days has only had two gay characters in recent history that I can recall. Both were glorified extras and both were flamboyant queens who were played for laughs. I'm talking about Harold Wentworth and Assistant Chris, of course.

If Days can't give us a gay character who isn't a complete joke, I would rather they not give us one at all.

lastDays
Member Avatar

Casey
Mar 22 2011, 08:41 PM
Gotta involve Will.He has not clicked with any female on the show yet.I doubt its gone unnoticed by tptb.A new male character coming to town may be his love interest

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply