Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Soap Opera's Greatest Moments; What do YOU think?
Topic Started: Apr 12 2011, 11:12 AM (585 Views)
OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

My dear DR pals, I need a favor. Please post suggestions for your Soap's Greatest Moments and why you chose them, and I need you historians to suggest scenes or stories from shows like Love of Life, Somerset, Edge of Night, etc. I'm helping out a friend. Some of the obvious picks are already included, i.e. BJ's death on GH, the AIDS quilt on OLTL, Reva's "Slut of Springfield" scene on GL, etc.

You can post here since it would be a fun topic to read and also, PLEASE email your choices to Alina, who runs the PGP blogspot. She is the one putting together this project.

[email protected]

Thanks a million! :rockon:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Some of the scenes I suggested:

-The AIDS quilt on OLTL (believe it or not, I was the FIRST person to mention this)

-Mike visiting the Vietnam Memorial on Loving.

-Scotty catching the bouquet at Luke and Laura's wedding on GH (again, I was the first to mention it).

You guys are the real deal as far as soap fans and historians go so I know you'll come up with some great stuff.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

I can't believe I've had no replies to this. :frownie: :'(

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm gathering together reference material so that I can email Alina a list. lol

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Oh cool! Thank you. Don't forget to mention why the scenes stood out to you. :makeout:

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

OneBadKitty
Apr 12 2011, 11:12 AM
My dear DR pals, I need a favor. Please post suggestions for your Soap's Greatest Moments and why you chose them, and I need you historians to suggest scenes or stories from shows like Love of Life, Somerset, Edge of Night, etc. I'm helping out a friend. Some of the obvious picks are already included, i.e. BJ's death on GH, the AIDS quilt on OLTL, Reva's "Slut of Springfield" scene on GL, etc.

You can post here since it would be a fun topic to read and also, PLEASE email your choices to Alina, who runs the PGP blogspot. She is the one putting together this project.

[email protected]

I can't access Alina's link! I keep getting an "error" message! I will mention some old school stuff! From ANOTHER WORLD:The scene where Rachel tells Alice she's pregnant with Steve's baby on the day of Alice's engagement party! Although I was very young, there was a mysterious erotic subtext to Steve and Rachel! Robin Strasser was incredible as a nasty, cruel, grasping bitch and it fired my young imagination! DAYS OF OUR LIVES: The kiss between Julie and Doug after literally years of being apart and with other partners! Doug confronted Julie who was married to Bob Anderson over her plans to have a tryst with Don Craig! The dialogue was snappy and the build up intense (Doug: "You're a tramp, Julie!" Julie: "Well at least I'm ALIVE!" Doug: "And available!" Julie: "You BET I'm available!" upon which Doug pulls her into a passionate kiss!) I had been watching the tension between these characters for several years and it was always clear that although Julie could have any man in Salem, it was Doug she truly loved! It was a deeply satisfying scene after watching the hurt, bitter Julie interact with her "stepfather" for several years! THE DOCTORS: Althea Davis had a stormy relationship with her daughter Penny who was vicious and cruel to her mother! It turned out Penny had a brain tumor! She was operated on and while recovering, attacked Althea yet again! Liz Hubbard's performance as Althea realized it WASN'T a tumor causing her daughter's cruelty was heartbreaking and Julia Duffy was spot on as a confused kid spitting venom! It struck home in a most personal way! HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE: David Bachman's death! This show suffered from all sorts of backstage drama, recasts, writer changes and missed potential in so many areas! David and Fran were sort of a latter day version of Stu and Marge Bergman! Comic relief and a shoulder for next door neighbor Chris Kirby to lean on after her divorce! David suffered a sudden massive heart attack and spent several days in the hospital before dying! Fran Brill, Allan Miller and Rosemary Prinz as their doctor friend gave magnificent performances! When David died, I believe it was the first and maybe only time I was moved to tears by a soap opera! Incredibly moving, realistic drama! Sorry for the usual long winded post but those are some examples of NBC's "powerhouse" lineup of soaps geared towards a more "modern" generation! I DO have a "SOMERSET" moment but I'll leave some room for someone else!

jam6242
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Apr 13 2011, 02:10 PM
OneBadKitty
Apr 12 2011, 11:12 AM

[email protected]

I can't access Alina's link! I keep getting an "error" message! I will mention some old school stuff! From ANOTHER WORLD:The scene where Rachel tells Alice she's pregnant with Steve's baby on the day of Alice's engagement party! Although I was very young, there was a mysterious erotic subtext to Steve and Rachel! Robin Strasser was incredible as a nasty, cruel, grasping bitch and it fired my young imagination! DAYS OF OUR LIVES: The kiss between Julie and Doug after literally years of being apart and with other partners! Doug confronted Julie who was married to Bob Anderson over her plans to have a tryst with Don Craig! The dialogue was snappy and the build up intense (Doug: "You're a tramp, Julie!" Julie: "Well at least I'm ALIVE!" Doug: "And available!" Julie: "You BET I'm available!" upon which Doug pulls her into a passionate kiss!) I had been watching the tension between these characters for several years and it was always clear that although Julie could have any man in Salem, it was Doug she truly loved! It was a deeply satisfying scene after watching the hurt, bitter Julie interact with her "stepfather" for several years! THE DOCTORS: Althea Davis had a stormy relationship with her daughter Penny who was vicious and cruel to her mother! It turned out Penny had a brain tumor! She was operated on and while recovering, attacked Althea yet again! Liz Hubbard's performance as Althea realized it WASN'T a tumor causing her daughter's cruelty was heartbreaking and Julia Duffy was spot on as a confused kid spitting venom! It struck home in a most personal way! HOW TO SURVIVE A MARRIAGE: David Bachman's death! This show suffered from all sorts of backstage drama, recasts, writer changes and missed potential in so many areas! David and Fran were sort of a latter day version of Stu and Marge Bergman! Comic relief and a shoulder for next door neighbor Chris Kirby to lean on after her divorce! David suffered a sudden massive heart attack and spent several days in the hospital before dying! Fran Brill, Allan Miller and Rosemary Prinz as their doctor friend gave magnificent performances! When David died, I believe it was the first and maybe only time I was moved to tears by a soap opera! Incredibly moving, realistic drama! Sorry for the usual long winded post but those are some examples of NBC's "powerhouse" lineup of soaps geared towards a more "modern" generation! I DO have a "SOMERSET" moment but I'll leave some room for someone else!
I couldn't access the link either.

You picked some great scenes! I remember all of those. And I thought I was the only one who remembered Dave Bachmann's death. My mother & I cried like babies!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

It's not a link. It's her email address.

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

I will just name one that gives me goosebumps everytime. John and Marlena's reunion on the pier in 1991. One of the best scenes to ever be seen on DOOL.

taylore
Member Avatar

megan death on oltl,it was so sad.
Edited by taylore, Apr 14 2011, 08:38 AM.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Gonna post my thoughts here, then email them on to Alina. I guess I'll go soap by soap.

AMC-
Erica having the 1st Onscreen Abortion

Bianca coming out to Erica- not because it was so well done, but because it was groundbreaking and Erica Kane's daughter!!

AW-
The climax of Mitch/Rachel/Mac/Janice in St Croix. I've only seen the flashbacks but those scenes of Rachel stabbing Janice in the pool have been talked about for YEARS.

Alice & Steve's Engagement Party, when Rachel pointedly informed Alice that she was pregnant with Steve's child. THAT moment is and always will be considered EPIC by the long-time AW fans. What I wouldn't give to re-live it on youtube. If only AW made it to the 30th Anniversary eps of '94- I'm pretty sure they showed it in a flashback on that episode.

Cecile kidnaps Cass to her island and drugs him. Those "From Here To Eternity" knock off scenes, with Cass & Cecile rolling around on the beach as Kathleen walks up, are classic soap. Cecile was a true original, and probably one of the greatest soap characters of all-time IMO. She deserves a spot on the list.

Anne Heche made such a HUGE impression as Vicky that it's tough to site one particular moment for her. Probably something during the Who Shot Jake? story, when Jake raped Marley and Vicky was protecting her and they switched places at the trial. She was riveting in that entire storyline.

ATWT-

The reveal that Lily was adopted and actually Iva's daughter. I wasn't watching then, but I've seen the scenes on youtube and that story packed quite a wallop back then.

The climax of the Doug Cummings/Kim's Stalker storyline. Also a HUGE moment from Marland's ATWT

I hope somebody can come up with a particular incident during Susan's drunken days in the 70s. I hear that her storylines, especially involving Dan and Kim, were riveting back then.

Maura West's debut as Carly Tenney. That frizzed out hair, those perfect red lips, unabashed sex appeal- she was like a vixen from the movies of the 40s and made a huge impression from the start. Her chemistry with Shawn Christian's Mike was off the charts!!

B&B-

Brooke and BeLief- The episodes where Brooke lawyers up with Connor Walsh and informs Stephanie and the Forresters that she wants 51% ownership of the company in exchange for the formula to this day are my absolute favorite of all-time on that show, and I'd watched for less than a year at that point. KKL gave the performance of her career as Brooke FINALLY gained the upper hand on nemesis Stephanie, ex-husband Eric, and ex-lover Ridge.

Stephanie confronts Brooke about Thorne at Big Bear- Those scenes won Susan Flannery her 1st Emmy as Stephanie and were sheer madness. Steph confronting Brooke in her lingerie waiting for Thorne was INSANE! I remember her picking up a knife, the fire poker, raging at Brooke. It was amazing, can't take your eyes off it television. Gosh, I miss when soaps were so edge of your seat jaw gaping exciting like that.

I'll post more in a little bit.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Re: The Susan Stewart drunk scenes! They really WERE incredible! She even had her own "THEME" for those scenes! Marie Masters was amazing! I remember her drunken roll in the hay with Jay Stallings whom she picked up in a bar! And Helen Wagner as Nancy getting off the elevator in Kim's apartment building to see the doctor blind drunk and staggering down the hall! Nancy called "Susan? Susan?" but Dr Stewart was so drunk she kept walking and ignored her! It was intense and real!

blueskies
Member Avatar

I've only really watched DOOL & Passions. Greatest moments? Given I've only been watching each since abt 1998 (1999 of course for Passions) I'll put down what I remember, but I know compared to the vast history of soap moments, many of these probably pale in comparison. So I won't be emailing my suggestions in, but will post here.

Passions:

Sheridan's alive, Christmas Miracle
Timmy dies :(
Ethan finds out he's not a Crane
(Lots of other shocking moments, idk about "great" moments, my other great moments were usually finding out Sheridan and/or Luis was actually still alive)

DOOL:
Zack dies
Princess Gina dies
Hope is found in the castle turret with Stefano
Tony's alive! (alright, so it was Andre....again)

Manny
Member Avatar

These are scenes I always remember:

AMC
Tornado hits (1994)

DAYS
Bo kidnaps Hope on a motorcycle from her wedding to Larry
Lexie announces that Zach died
Bo learns the truth about John and Hope at Lexie's "Mother of the Year" party
Chloe's Red Dress moment
Coronation massacre happens
Hope, Bo and Zach say goodbye to JT
JT falls into the river from Jen's car
Carrie stops the wedding of Sami and Austin, then punches Sami in the face
Sami's execution

GH
Stone dies

OLTL
Todd's execution

SuBe
Maria catches a bouquet at Ben and Meg's wedding
Tidal wave hits

Y&R
Tricia shoots Ryan
Matt Clark pulls his own breathing tube and puts it in Nick's hands, then dies, making it look like Nick killed him
Mac is crowed prom queen
Cassie dies
Judge decides Nate can see Malcolm and Malcolm and Nate hug (very touching)
Edited by Manny, Apr 16 2011, 08:55 AM.

GLFAN1
Member Avatar

I only have two and they are both for GL...

"Slut of SPringfield" moment
and Tammy's Death. It was really sad, the acting was amazing, and there was a HUGE impact on core characters and viewers.

*6Lee

Thanks for some of the older memories, jam and G. Hughes. Here are some of mine:
ATWT:
-Kim discovers Jennifer is dying of a fatal disease. Location shot of Kathryn Hays leaving Bob and Jennifer's apartment building and walking down the street, devastated.
-John forces Kim to have sex with him ("If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you..."). Kim resists before her husband pulls her into the bedroom. Kim's necklace breaks and falls to the floor.
-A drunken Susan propositions Jay in her apartment. He wants to leave. She bars the door. She is wearing a ragged coat. "Kiss me", she says wantonly. "Kiss me". He does- and stays with her.
-Kim finds a drunken Susan in her apartment. She sobers her up by forcing her into the shower. Susan screams. They both get soaked.
-John has sex with an unwilling Dee. She stumbles out of their apartment in her slip and frantically rings for the elevator. It opens and a horrified David sees his bedraggled daughter. He ushers her into the elevator just as John walks into the hall and sees them. David takes Dee to the hospital. Later, Ellen comes home from Chrsitmas shopping. The phone rings immediately and it is David. Then John rings the doorbell, distracting her. David tells Ellen that John raped their daughter. Ellen, always so refined and genteel, flies at John, pummeling him ("You sick animal!"...) before fleeing the house.
Another World:
-Alice realizes that she loves Ray Gordon. She opens the sliding screen door and rests her head on it, gazing at the newly fallen rain on the roses.
-Pat rushes to New York City to stop her daughter Marianne from having an abortion. She walks into the room and Marianne looks up. Real surprise for soaps: "Its too late, Mom. Its over".
-Olive arrives at her newly built house. John has just killed Evan. "Don't go near the sofa, Olive!", John yells. He still does not realize Olive has been having a torrid affair with Evan. Olive finds Evan's prone body. She falls on him and turns furioulsy on her husband, "You killed him! Evan!" John recognizes the truth.
-Pat Randolph leaves a bar. Location shot. She falls drunkenly to the ground. A couple get into their car and back up directly towards her. Pat stares blearily. Fade out.
-Olive viciously threatens Molly: "Do you want to go back to the cows and pigs in Chadwell?!!"
Ryan's Hope:
-Faith confronts Dee: "The day that Pat understands how you control him through these fits that you turn on and off- that's the day he's going to leave you". Perfectly delivered, every word fraught. So was:
-Dee was smashing china in her bedroom. Each plate individually- in a negligee. Maeve enters-Dee is in mid-throw. Maeve orders Dee to stop, to not throw one thing more. Dee is pulsating with emotion- and smashes another dish, defying her mother-in-law. Maeve counsels wifely patience, but Dee has another idea: "I'm going to show him just how bad it can get".
Guiding Light:
-Rita searches through the streets of Springfield, looking for her sister after Eve is diagnosed with oncoming blindness. She watches as Eve buys a flower from a vendor and breaks into tears. Rita crosses the street and embraces her sister.
-Psychotic Georgene Grainger torches Rita's apartment, not realizing a blind Eve is asleep in the next room. "Burn, little Rita. Burn".

radiodj1520

Noticed that full video clip of an episode of the British soap: "Coronation Street" from June 18, 1986...is that there was a fire that ripped through Rovers.

[flash=250,250]http://www.youtube.com/oembed?format=xml&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com/%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJmHOVAljgWs[/u][/note]
Edited by radiodj1520, Oct 4 2014, 10:05 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply