Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We Love Soaps Interviews Tom Casiello a Former Days Writer; Interview is Five Parts: Part Four Covers Tom's Tenure at Days
Topic Started: Apr 29 2011, 12:03 PM (6,312 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Here is a 30 minute video interview conducted by We Love Soaps and Tom Casiello, a former writer for Days under Hogan Sheffer's tenure as head writer. The interview is in five parts and part four covers Casiello's time at Days. He talks about the writers strike, the culmination of the DiMera/Brady feud and the directive from up top not to use John/Marlena, Bo/Hope and Abe/Lexie.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2011/04/casiello254.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

The three couples I adore? Figures. I'm glad Hogan is gone.

Mason
Member Avatar

Dorothy595
Apr 29 2011, 12:06 PM
If you actually watch the interview, Casiello says that the order not to use those couples came from above Sheffer.
Edited by Mason, Apr 29 2011, 12:20 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Dorothy595
I haven't listened to the interview yet, but I'm pretty sure the directive not to use John/Marlena, Bo/Hope and Abe/Lexie didn't come from Hogan.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Oooh, I love this. Casiello says Ireland was supposed to be a "Maison Blanche/Aremid" type of storyline. Damn Higley for fucking that up.

This is interesting too. Apparently, Hogan and Co. were going to explain that Stefano got Steve's coffin from Lawrence.
Edited by Mason, Apr 29 2011, 12:30 PM.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

It's a great interview. Casiello looked so excited and passionate about his writing on Days in '08. He talked about working with KA on a s/l and the interviewer made a great point: "When writers and actors collaborate, it creates a deeper and meaningful show." While Casiello agrees, he sees the other side of it. Some actors are all about themselves and not really for making a good story. So he says that with collaborating withe actors, you have to figure out who are the ones who are genuine and who are just there to give themselves more airtime.
I loved Casiello's passion and exhuberance. Plus he's a fan of the show and knows the history of many characters. It would be nice to have that back.

Kenny
Member Avatar

LoL @ "there were certain things we weren't allowed to mention -- Melaswen, Rex and Cassie. We couldn't bring them up. I mentioned Rex and Cassie a few times in my scripts but they were taken out."

Am I the only one who finds it silly that new writers aren't allowed to reference stories written by previous writers in their scripts? I mean, the stories might be shitty, but they happened. If you don't put awful shit on the air in the first place, you won't have to be shamed of it years later.

Hearing this confirmed by Tom has erased any doubt in my mind that the current writing team has been told not to mention John and Marlena in any of their scripts. They want us to forget J&M ever existed -- just like the Gemini Twins and Melaswen.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Mason
Apr 29 2011, 12:26 PM
Oooh, I love this. Casiello says Ireland was supposed to be a "Maison Blanche/Aremid" type of storyline. Damn Higley for fucking that up.

This is interesting too. Apparently, Hogan and Co. were going to explain that Stefano got Steve's coffin from Lawrence.
Well I'll be a Goddamn dirty ass son of a bitch!

So much interesting stuff planned, and instead we got what? Bullshit.

Thanks Higley!

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Quote:

Then sometimes we have these actors who are all "me-me", and all about them.
Hah! Wonder who he's talking about there.
Quote:

One actor came in and suggested an amnesic storyline. They wanted five characters in a car accident and have the four characters fall in love with this on character.
;)

That was pretty interesting. Thanks for posting, DC.

Mason
Member Avatar

I also thought it was interesting that it was Hogan's idea to bring back Stefano, Tony, Anna, etc. and not Corday's like I'd always assumed, and that Lexie was supposed to be working with Sami instead of Celeste in the spring of 2007. It also sounds like Kristen/Susan would have been referenced more, as well. And I like that the original idea behind the Brady/DiMera feud was that Stefano had been directed to make sure that none of the Bradys ever found romantic happiness thus explaining his interference with Roman/Marlena, etc. Still kind of weak, but at least it tied in more to the history of the previous 25 years.
Edited by Mason, Apr 29 2011, 12:53 PM.

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Quote:

So much interesting stuff planned, and instead we got what? Bullshit.

Thanks Higley!
Exactly, and in this interview Tom came off as very enthusiastic about the show and writing it. Do you think Dena at the end of the day really gives two flying fucks? They should also have not fired the entire writing team after the writer's strike. That was ridiculous.

lysie
Member Avatar

Mason
Apr 29 2011, 12:10 PM
Dorothy595
If you actually watch the interview, Casiello says that the order not to use those couples came from above Sheffer.
Well, now I'm confused and can't watch for myself yet. Did it come from Hogan or someone else?

Mason
Member Avatar

lysie
Apr 29 2011, 12:55 PM
Mason
Dorothy595
Well, now I'm confused and can't watch for myself yet. Did it come from Hogan or someone else?
It came from someone above Hogan. Casiello didn't say specifically who, but I'm guessing NBC.
Edited by Mason, Apr 29 2011, 12:56 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Rex and Cassie did get a mention during Hogan's tenure. I wonder who wrote the script. It was Drake's "last" episode where Sami has a nightmare. At one point John is listing all the Bradys and he lists Rex and Cassie.

Kenny
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
Apr 29 2011, 12:27 PM
"When writers and actors collaborate, it creates a deeper and meaningful show." While Casiello agrees, he sees the other side of it. Some actors are all about themselves and not really for making a good story. So he says that with collaborating withe actors, you have to figure out who are the ones who are genuine and who are just there to give themselves more airtime.
*coughs* Alison Sweeney *coughs*

lysie
Member Avatar

Mason
lysie
Mason
Dorothy595
It came from someone above Hogan. Casiello didn't say specifically who, but I'm guessing NBC.
Oh, okay. Thanks. That's not surprising. From a writing stand point, why would anyone choose to write a story about the Bradys and DiMeras and then choose to leave out the main people involved?

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

lysie
Mason
Dorothy595
He was stating that Hogan clearly wanted more airtime for John/Marlena, Bo/Hope, and Steve/Kayla. He also said that there were a lot of things going on above the writers with TPTB. The writers were told they couldn't play the Carvers, John/Marlena, Bo/Hope, or the Lockharts for whatever reason.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kenny
Apr 29 2011, 12:39 PM
Hearing this confirmed by Tom has erased any doubt in my mind that the current writing team has been told they aren't allowed to mention John and Marlena in their scripts. They want us to forget they ever existed -- just like Rex/Cassie and Melaswen.
John was just mentioned several time on Tuesday's episode by Nicole when she was talking about how simliar the Rafe situation is to John's in the past.

This was a great listen. I only listened to the DAYS part. I'm going to listen to the others later. Lots of intersting tidbits.

I remember hearing Celeste replaced Lexie in the revenge storyline against EJ. As much as I loved the usage of Celeste (where is she now anyway?), I get the feeling Renee Jones would have really gotten to sink her teeth into great material for the first time since Langan and Brash & Cwickly.

Galoway, Ireland was supposed to be another Aremid? It definitely had that feeling to it. But of course, it wasn't Higley's idea, so she threw that away the minute she could and condensed it to a week's worth of shitty conclusion. I don't care how amazing the plane crash was it led up to, the story as a whole was shit.

I'm glad Kristian Alfonso spoke up to Casiello about Hope's eulogy. Honestly, I thought Hope's eulogy still could've used some work, even after the apparent change after collaboration between writer and actress. I still don't think it really touched what happened between John and Hope. The way Hope spoke, she made it sound like they were brother and sister, and while they always played it that way, actually having watched in the late-90s/early-00s, we saw that there was more to the relationship than brother and sister connection, even if it never lasted. I just always felt uneased by Hopes eulogy and it doesn't surprise me that it was something before, probably worse.

For what it's worth, I loved the summer of 2007 and the vendetta storyline. Hearing what was supposed to take place makes me wish it actually had and could've been better, but I like what we got. I loved the idea of forbidden love being the root of it all because it always felt that way. I know 80s fans will say that's not the case and say it only started due to Roman bringing down Stefano's organization, but there were foundations there to allow this storyline to happen, including the picutres Stefano had of the Brady and Horton families, including family trees. I think the Hortons were supposed to be a bigger part of Stefano's arrival in Salem before writers changed and the Bradys became the new core family in Salem.

And it sounded like Brady was supposed to show up on screen in early 2008. We could've dodged Eric Martsolf,. had plans stayed the way they were supposed to. :(

So much insight from this man from one of my top favorite periods in watching the show.

Mason
Member Avatar

I enjoyed most of this period anyway, but just imagine how great DAYS could have been without all the interference, the writers' strike, and Dena goddamnmotherfucking Higley. Sigh. What could have been.

lysie
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Apr 29 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm glad Kristian Alfonso spoke up to Casiello about Hope's eulogy. Honestly, I thought Hope's eulogy still could've used some work, even after the apparent change after collaboration between writer and actress. I still don't think it really touched what happened between John and Hope. The way Hope spoke, she made it sound like they were brother and sister, and while they always played it that way, actually having watched in the late-90s/early-00s, we saw that there was more to the relationship than brother and sister connection, even if it never lasted. I just always felt uneased by Hopes eulogy and it doesn't surprise me that it was something before, probably worse.
Hope's eulogy was my least favorite part of the funeral. Anytime he mentions it, I want to tell him he should be blaming KA for that, not praising their collaboration, lol. It wasn't even a eulogy. She went into a whole "WHY IS THIS HAPPENING WOE IS US" thing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply