Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Brothers & Sisters' Renewed!?; Less Flockhart and reduced episodes
Topic Started: May 5 2011, 09:01 PM (320 Views)
Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

deadline hollywood

ABC Plotting Abbreviated Final Season Of 'Brothers & Sisters' With Less Calista
By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday May 5, 2011 @ 1:44pm PDT
Tags: ABC, Brothers & Sisters, Calista Flockhart, renewal, Season 6

With Desperate Housewives' renewal assured after the series' stars have have been re-signed, Brothers and Sisters remains the only veteran ABC series not picked up for next season. Being on the bubble is a familiar territory for the family soap, which was also there last season until getting an eleventh-hour reprieve with a 18-episode order. I hear that this year, ABC and sister studio ABC Studios, which produces Brothers and Sisters, have been proactive in exploring ways to bring the show back for an abbreviated sixth and final season that may feature less of Calista Flockhart's Kitty Walker aka Kitty McCallister.

Because of its soft ratings and expensive large cast, the issues for renewal are economical, and I hear several months ago ABC created budget targets that would allow for the series to come back for a final foray. Brothers and Sisters' budget was reduced going into the current fifth season, and it will have to go down again for Season 6. The per-episode price increases by reducing the number of episodes because of less cost amortization, so I hear that ABC is exploring scenarios for a final season that could range from 6 to 18 episodes. Last year, the holdup in getting the renewal was getting the actors to agree to do fewer episodes, which they eventually did, and ABC gave the series a 18-episode pickup at the last minute. (That order was subsequently raised to a full-season 22 after the series started the season with solid ratings that have slid in the past few months.) This year, I hear the studio is in talks with top-billed Calista Flockhart to do six episodes next season as the prominence of her character Kitty on the show has decreased. (Rob Lowe, who shared a major storyline with her, left at the end of last season, while Flockhart remained regular this season but reduced her workload. Sunday's episode will be her 15th this season.) No talks with other Brothers and Sisters actors are currently going on, but I hear that the cast has a minimum guarantee of 13 episodes and, if ABC's Season 6 order is for fewer episodes, the studio will have to negotiate separately with each cast member. That is not expected to be a problem. Star Sally Field will be busy filming Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln movie, so she probably won't be able able to do all the episodes anyway. Co-star Gilles Marini recently talked about how much he would love for the show to be renewed, while Rachel Griffiths joked in her native Australia that she is facing losing her job and may need unemployment benefits, so she should be on board too.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Oh, lord. Just put this show out of its misery and be done with it.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Next season they are going to find out none of the Walker siblings are actually Walkers or siblings.

BC2.0
Member Avatar
Jester

Posted Image

Manny
Member Avatar

They should have ended it this season. But I guess a short season will suffice.

WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

I stopped watching after S1. It was solid back then.

How has the show fared since?

Mason
Member Avatar

WTGH
May 6 2011, 04:36 PM
I stopped watching after S1. It was solid back then.

How has the show fared since?
Season 2 was decent, but Season 3 and on has mostly been shit. I finally stopped watching early this season.
Edited by Mason, May 6 2011, 05:04 PM.

michelle
Member Avatar

I still love it!!!

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I loved the first season, liked the 2nd and after the 3rd was indifferent. The last few seasons I've watched off and on, tired watching from the start of this season but that didn't last long. It's a shame considering how this show started off.

michelle
Member Avatar

But it's been so good this season... Scotty and Kevin finding out Michelle REALLY had their kid and was hiding it, Brody turning out to be Sara's dad, Saul's relationship with Richard Chamberlain.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply