Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW: Sami and Rafe Reunite/Safe Make Love!; 5/24 Issue
Topic Started: May 11 2011, 04:10 PM (11,799 Views)
JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

badaddiction
May 15 2011, 08:18 PM
Dolly
May 15 2011, 02:52 PM
Sure agree with you. I wish the writers would give Brady a good story line, he can way out act GG.
I can honestly say that if the role of Rafe had been given to EM, a more talented performer, I wouldn't hate the sight of the character.
IA but but not completely because IMOthe character of Rafe isn't really given much depth and complexity. I used to think it was 95% on GG that I couldn't stand Rafe but I took a glimpse of R2 and I kinda, dare I say, liked him (I know, it shocked me too). He didn't annoy me with a fiery passion and he was funny at times. So now I think it's a mix of GG and tptb. I know only a little more about Rafe as when he first came on the show but nothing complex that would compel me to at least see his side and be compassionate towards him. It's just "he's the good guy with tons of siblings." The End. That isn't much to work with for an actor but I still put a lot of responsibility on GG though because it is still something. So while I think that EM is way more talented, with this writing team I can't say in full confidence that I would like EM's version of Rafe. I can't even say if I wouldn't hate him; I have that low of an opinion towards the writing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

I understand what you're saying, but for me it boils down to GG's lack of acting skills. As you say, he's OK in the confined box of an acerbic, smart mouthed character, but I need more. And unfortunately GG can't play complex or depth. He never failed to pull me out of any deeply emotional scene due to his utter lack of talent in emoting Rafe's pain convincingly, no matter the cause. For me, the tolerance and/or likability of a character begin with the actor's skills and if that's extremely limited, then I want the character off my screen. It wouldn't matter if EM's Rafe were written in the shallow and contrived way that GG's Rafe has been penned, his talent would make the character at least watchable for me. I wouldn't want to pull an Elvis on my TV every time I had to endure Rafe as I believe the character's facial expression would go beyond the smug, one-note countenance of GG's Rafe.
Edited by badaddiction, May 16 2011, 06:24 AM.

justforfun

badaddiction
May 16 2011, 06:17 AM
I understand what you're saying, but for me it boils down to GG's lack of acting skills. As you say, he's OK in the confined box of an acerbic, smart mouthed character, but I need more. And unfortunately GG can't play complex or depth. He never failed to pull me out of any deeply emotional scene due to his utter lack of talent in emoting Rafe's pain convincingly, no matter the cause. For me, the tolerance and/or likability of a character begin with the actor's skills and if that's extremely limited, then I want the character off my screen. It wouldn't matter if EM's Rafe were written in the shallow and contrived way that GG's Rafe has been penned, his talent would make the character at least watchable for me. I wouldn't want to pull an Elvis on my TV every time I had to endure Rafe as I believe the character's facial expression would go beyond the smug, one-note countenance of GG's Rafe.
IMO GG was great in the dual role and i think many people were surprised by what he was able to do with it and I think his portrayal of Rafe in this past week at the safehouse has been really good. I get that some people don't like the character of Rafe or GG, but I can't really say that I watch Days for the incredible acting. LOL There are a couple of good actors who are very consistent, and the fact that they don't do much rehearsal or only get one take doesn't help, but the majority of the actors on soaps are hit or miss in their scenes.

six
Member Avatar

badaddiction
May 15 2011, 08:18 PM
Dolly
May 15 2011, 02:52 PM
Sure agree with you. I wish the writers would give Brady a good story line, he can way out act GG.
I can honestly say that if the role of Rafe had been given to EM, a more talented performer, I wouldn't hate the sight of the character.
I agree, to some extent. You need a certain amount of charisma to pull off the loathsome things Rafe has done while keeping your rootability (it's totally a word ,now), and GG just doesn't have it.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

justforfun
May 16 2011, 08:43 AM
badaddiction
IMO GG was great in the dual role and i think many people were surprised by what he was able to do with it and I think his portrayal of Rafe in this past week at the safehouse has been really good. I get that some people don't like the character of Rafe or GG, but I can't really say that I watch Days for the incredible acting. LOL There are a couple of good actors who are very consistent, and the fact that they don't do much rehearsal or only get one take doesn't help, but the majority of the actors on soaps are hit or miss in their scenes.
I can't say I watch ANY soap for the great acting, but when a character is shoved in my face seemingly 90% of the show's viewing time, then I expect the portrayer of that character to possess acting skills that extend beyond looking confused (or constipated) and/or having the ability to look menacing and deliver lines in a snarky manner.

ges
Member Avatar

I am so bored by Rafe. But I am annoyed by the woeful casting of his siblings. They both suck. Period. And there is no need for them anyway.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I was watching Friday's show this morning as I was getting ready for work and it is interesting to me that it's definitely a mixture of GG and the character of R1 that fall flat for me. I didn't mind him as R2 and thought he did some fun things with it - and was appropriately menacing when the scene called for it. But he just seems to play R1 as such a dopey guy - and given that we're being told R1 is truly this brilliant FBI agent and all around rock solid hero it just falls flat for me. It's almost as though GG was more comfortable 'digging in' to R2 so we saw some effort - but with R1 there just is nothing there that I find appealing. I was pleasantly surprised by what he did with R2 and was hoping some of that newfound effort would come thru in R1 but unfortunately I'm just not seeing it.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

badaddiction
I still believe that GG's acting skills play a major role in my dislike of Rafe. I felt the EXACT same way you did about Rafe pre Fafe. Now I still have that feeling but I now wonder if the writing plays a bigger role in it or is it merely GG likes the character so he feels more comfortable in the role, resulting in a better portrayal of him...or is it because he is the complete opposite of Rafe and I desperately want something different. I still give GG the lion's share of the responsibility because no matter what character you play, you have to make that connection with the audience and he doesn't do that at all. Though I believe they give him very little to work with and what he is given is contradictory, he is not the first nor the last to be in this situation, especially on Days. He still has to go the extra mile to make Rafe complex and at least make me feel some sympathy towards the character and he falls short on those fronts.
Edited by JamaicanBeauty7, May 16 2011, 10:50 AM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
May 16 2011, 10:25 AM
I was watching Friday's show this morning as I was getting ready for work and it is interesting to me that it's definitely a mixture of GG and the character of R1 that fall flat for me. I didn't mind him as R2 and thought he did some fun things with it - and was appropriately menacing when the scene called for it. But he just seems to play R1 as such a dopey guy - and given that we're being told R1 is truly this brilliant FBI agent and all around rock solid hero it just falls flat for me. It's almost as though GG was more comfortable 'digging in' to R2 so we saw some effort - but with R1 there just is nothing there that I find appealing. I was pleasantly surprised by what he did with R2 and was hoping some of that newfound effort would come thru in R1 but unfortunately I'm just not seeing it.
It's funny that you say GG plays Rafe as a dopey guy because I wish he were more so. I really think they should have written more that way than as super agent. I think GG does really well with the dopey characters (R2 was like that at times and memory-less R1 is kinda like that now, and wasn't Luis like that?). Rafe would be way more endearing if he was kinda dopey and bumbling, but was always solving cases anyway. Maybe he could have been super smart inside, but kind of goofy/bumbling outside. I think that would have played better to GG's strength as an actor and given Rafe something interesting about his personality. I think it takes a special kind of actor to play a straight-laced super agent who still has an interesting edge, especially when the writing doesn't provide it. Unfortunately for us (with all of Rafe's screentime), GG just isn't that kind of actor.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

tomsawyer
May 16 2011, 11:10 AM
SocRMum1
It's funny that you say GG plays Rafe as a dopey guy because I wish he were more so. I really think they should have written more that way than as super agent. I think GG does really well with the dopey characters (R2 was like that at times and memory-less R1 is kinda like that now, and wasn't Luis like that?). Rafe would be way more endearing if he was kinda dopey and bumbling, but was always solving cases anyway. Maybe he could have been super smart inside, but kind of goofy/bumbling outside. I think that would have played better to GG's strength as an actor and given Rafe something interesting about his personality. I think it takes a special kind of actor to play a straight-laced super agent who still has an interesting edge, especially when the writing doesn't provide it. Unfortunately for us (with all of Rafe's screentime), GG just isn't that kind of actor.
That's really my point. What I see on screen from GG is Rafe having these dopey expressions and sort of fumbling line deliveries - but the writers try to force us to believe that Rafe is perceived by everyone in Salem as this fantastically successful FBI Super Agent and uber cop. The writing and the portrayal don't mesh for me...so either they need to write in the dopey-ness - or GG needs to turn it off in his performances. I agree with you that it would work better to write it in, because I don't think GG can control it with the current writing. R2 had an edge and he proved he can play to that...and when allowed to be outright funny (like R2 goofing with the kids) he did that, too. But R1 with the emotional scenes - memory or not - just doesn't work.

six
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
SocRMum1
Yes, you're right. That's pretty much exactly how Luis was. He meant well, but he was dumber than a bag of hair. I agree with both of you that GG would be better off if they wrote to his strengths, instead of having him play someone who's supposed to be so sharp.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

six
May 16 2011, 11:26 AM
tomsawyer
SocRMum1
Yes, you're right. That's pretty much exactly how Luis was. He meant well, but he was dumber than a bag of hair. I agree with both of you that GG would be better off if they wrote to his strengths, instead of having him play someone who's supposed to be so sharp.
The crazy thing is Luis use to by my favorite character on Passions and Rafe is my least favorite on Days :o It is shocking because they are both played by the same actor, but my interest was for different reasons. I don`t believe Galen is the problem, in fact I was excited when I find out that he was coming on the show as Rafe ( in fact I use to like Rafe.....oh how times has changed :shame: ). The biggest difference with Luis and Rafe to me was that although they shared similar professions, one of them was the "good guy" and the other one is a zero trying to play a hero. Also Luis was never boring to me, I loved him with Sheridan and Fancy. I rooted for him to take down the bad guys, and Galen acting was tolerable. It just seems like it is complete opposite now. Whereas I use to love the good guys ( Luis being on passions) now I hate the good guys on Days- Rafe being the good guy. I currently root for the bad guys, because the good guys are just to self righteous and hypocritical- Rafe.

I believe that it is how the characters are written, I don`t believe it is merely Galen acting ability.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

JamesScott_19
May 16 2011, 12:07 PM
six
tomsawyer
SocRMum1
The crazy thing is Luis use to by my favorite character on Passions and Rafe is my least favorite on Days :o It is shocking because they are both played by the same actor, but my interest was for different reasons. I don`t believe Galen is the problem, in fact I was excited when I find out that he was coming on the show as Rafe ( in fact I use to like Rafe.....oh how times has changed :shame: ). The biggest difference with Luis and Rafe to me was that although they shared similar professions, one of them was the "good guy" and the other one is a zero trying to play a hero. Also Luis was never boring to me, I loved him with Sheridan and Fancy. I rooted for him to take down the bad guys, and Galen acting was tolerable. It just seems like it is complete opposite now. Whereas I use to love the good guys ( Luis being on passions) now I hate the good guys on Days- Rafe being the good guy. I currently root for the bad guys, because the good guys are just to self righteous and hypocritical- Rafe.

I believe that it is how the characters are written, I don`t believe it is merely Galen acting ability.

Great post :hail: :hail: It's exactly how I feel I too loved Luis and I can't get into Rafe as a character as all.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

JamesScott_19
six
tomsawyer
SocRMum1

I liked Luis, but even back then, i thought GG was a weak actor, but it was less glaring on Passions, where almost everyone was bad. Luis benefited from having several strong connections to the canvas, and the fact that the writers weren't afraid to let him be flawed and have people call him out on those flaws. Contrast that to Days where, even three years later, the super perfect Rafe still hasn't been woven into the fabric of the show.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

Fafokahw
May 16 2011, 12:43 PM
JamesScott_19
six
tomsawyer

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Great post :hail: :hail: It's exactly how I feel I too loved Luis and I can't get into Rafe as a character as all.
OMG I loved Luis too! That is another piece that at times leaves me scratching my head when it comes to GG's portrayal of Rafe and the character in general. Then again, even with the crappy writing on Passions, Luis was more fleshed out as a character than Rafe is on Days. For example, you knew his overprotected nature of his siblings was more than just being a big brother; it was because their father left them and he had to be the man of the house. So when he was borderline asshole and strict with his family, you knew where it was coming from. And they didn't just say that point one day, they emphasized it in everything he did and became a part of a main s/l at some point. many years later, I still remember that aspect of him.

Dolly

We need James, Alison, Eric maybe Jay to get working to save the show.
I had to go back to YouTube in 2007 to get my love of Days back.
Writing, and interesting characters, there were better situations, as well.
Lets have James in some casual clothes again.

mellie277
Member Avatar

the man got his job because of his connections, not acting skills......is it any surprise he sucks this much......

per GG

Quote:

I was lucky enough to have worked with Gary Tomlin, who is our executive producer at Days now and was a director at Passions prior. He was one of the people, who basically thought of me and requested that I come in and meet with Ken Corday (producer of the show). I did a few readings for them and they liked it, so fortunately they hired me. They then created this role for me and the rest is history!

While the other actors rely on some talent, he relies on his buddies........

lysie
Member Avatar

mellie277
May 16 2011, 06:57 PM
the man got his job because of his connections, not acting skills......is it any surprise he sucks this much......

per GG

Quote:

I was lucky enough to have worked with Gary Tomlin, who is our executive producer at Days now and was a director at Passions prior. He was one of the people, who basically thought of me and requested that I come in and meet with Ken Corday (producer of the show). I did a few readings for them and they liked it, so fortunately they hired me. They then created this role for me and the rest is history!

It says he read for them multiple times. I think the majority of the current cast is proof that they're not exactly looking for talent, though.

mellie277
Member Avatar

lysie
May 16 2011, 07:33 PM
mellie277

per GG

Quote:

It says he read for them multiple times. I think the majority of the current cast is proof that they're not exactly looking for talent, though.
IMO the running lines was nothing more than a formality........brought in by a buddy who then created a character for him........and yes there are others who can join him in the talentless lineup, but the key is less screentime......its not as obvious :D

lysie
Member Avatar

mellie277
May 16 2011, 07:41 PM
lysie
May 16 2011, 07:33 PM
mellie277

per GG

Quote:

IMO the running lines was nothing more than a formality........brought in by a buddy who then created a character for him........and yes there are others who can join him in the talentless lineup, but the key is less screentime......its not as obvious :D
It seems like all of the crappy ones are onscreen a lot to me, lol. I think that having a character written for him is a bigger deal than the rest. Although, I kind of think he's wrong about that. I think that character would have been written in regardless of him because of the way they wanted to accommodate AS's pregnancy.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply