Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
AMC and OLTL CANCELED!; AMC to last air September 23rd, OLTL in Jan. 2012
Topic Started: Apr 14 2011, 01:23 PM (10,390 Views)
Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

dc cubs
Apr 28 2011, 08:40 PM
Kenny
Apr 28 2011, 07:33 PM
I just read this over at SON. It's probably bullshit, but who knows.
Quote:

Ok, I have to tell what I know. My cousin moved to LA after college and works in the entertainment industry. I wont say anything else about him as he is sworn to secrecy. However, he has kept me filled in on the whole AMC and OLTL cancellation for months. Sony is buying the shows, they have been in the deal since spring '10. Sony wants to own AMC and OLTL so they can sell them overseas like Days and Y&R. Currently ABC has never sold the shows to foreign countries. NBC has been looking for programming for it's afternoon schedule since Passions left but esp. since Jeff Zucker left. NBC has concluded that trying to create new reality based shows wont guarantee them a return on investment. As reality based programs wont differentiate them from the other networks, they want soaps. Comcast owns NBC and they can double their money by airing them online on comcast. Days was #8 in total streams over all television shows in January which is a big deal.

Well NBC will set standards as to what ratings they desire and such. OLTL is currently being produced cheaper than Days so I would think there wouldn't be many changes required as long as they maintain status quo. My source is pretty reliable as they are an employee of Sony. AMC will be forced to change it's production method to be more in line with the other soaps. They will have to decrease the amount of takes and will utilize cue cards to help the actors move faster through scenes. They will be required to do at least 70 pages per day average to bring them in line with the others.
The thing I question in this article is that OLTL is being produced cheaper than Days. TV Guide just had an article earlier this week stating the cost to produce each show was $750,000 to $1,000,000 per week. Here's the link to the TV Guide article.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Biz-ABC-Soaps-1032246.aspx
Days cost $750,000 a week too. I remember there being an article about how it cost $150,000 to produce a single episode of Days.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Eric83
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Apr 28 2011, 03:43 PM
I thought NBC wanted to get out of the "Daytime Drama" business?

They are under new management now.

Manny
Member Avatar

If NBC buys AMC and/or OLTL I will be SHOCKED! REALLY SHOCKED!

blueskies
Member Avatar

Eric83
Apr 29 2011, 05:25 AM
dc cubs
Apr 28 2011, 08:40 PM
Kenny
Apr 28 2011, 07:33 PM
I just read this over at SON. It's probably bullshit, but who knows.
Quote:

Ok, I have to tell what I know. My cousin moved to LA after college and works in the entertainment industry. I wont say anything else about him as he is sworn to secrecy. However, he has kept me filled in on the whole AMC and OLTL cancellation for months. Sony is buying the shows, they have been in the deal since spring '10. Sony wants to own AMC and OLTL so they can sell them overseas like Days and Y&R. Currently ABC has never sold the shows to foreign countries. NBC has been looking for programming for it's afternoon schedule since Passions left but esp. since Jeff Zucker left. NBC has concluded that trying to create new reality based shows wont guarantee them a return on investment. As reality based programs wont differentiate them from the other networks, they want soaps. Comcast owns NBC and they can double their money by airing them online on comcast. Days was #8 in total streams over all television shows in January which is a big deal.

Well NBC will set standards as to what ratings they desire and such. OLTL is currently being produced cheaper than Days so I would think there wouldn't be many changes required as long as they maintain status quo. My source is pretty reliable as they are an employee of Sony. AMC will be forced to change it's production method to be more in line with the other soaps. They will have to decrease the amount of takes and will utilize cue cards to help the actors move faster through scenes. They will be required to do at least 70 pages per day average to bring them in line with the others.
The thing I question in this article is that OLTL is being produced cheaper than Days. TV Guide just had an article earlier this week stating the cost to produce each show was $750,000 to $1,000,000 per week. Here's the link to the TV Guide article.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Biz-ABC-Soaps-1032246.aspx
Days cost $750,000 a week too. I remember there being an article about how it cost $150,000 to produce a single episode of Days.
I thought I heard Days was down to something like $520,000/wk (?) :shrug:

Tammy
Member Avatar

Saw this on the Soapcentral board!

Quote:

Sony Deal to buy AMC and OLTL from ABC nothing new but top secret

Sony almost got outed today when stories surfaced about their negotiations with AMC and OLTL actors. They saved it by suggesting that they were going to put them on DAYS and Y&R. Yesterday NBC/Universal exec was quoted with saying how the soaps cancelled by ABC still commanded good ratings and that several other competitors were hoping to pick up some of them-all NBC Universal network and cable networks. More to come! Sony is buying AMC and OLTL from ABC for around 200 million. Based on ABC's most recent net profit from the shows, it will only take two years to recoup this investment by Sony. NBC is now owned by Comcast who profits greatly as a leader in online viewing of television. January 2011 numbers showed Days of our Lives as #8 in total online streams over ALL tv shows available online. That is including primetime and whatever else. Comcast is willing to air the soaps in the afternoon on NBC after Days in order to also show them online on Comcast. Sony, knowing that AMC and OLTL have never been marketed in foreign countries, knows the money they will make from selling them abroad. It is a win-win deal for everybody involved. NBC just gave Days a multi year renewal on their 45th anniversary in NOV. 2010. They are pleased with the profitability Days has been providing, along with the viewer loyalty that a 45 year scripted drama commands. They are in rebuilding mode after Jeff Zucker and need
revenue and loyal viewership to jump start the network into regaining it's glory. As both the cancelled soaps made money and were not cancelled because they didn't, NBC is anxious to take them on. Esp. when Sony will pay the upfront costs and all NBC will have to do is pay a licensing fee.

http://boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?700233-Sony-Deal-to-buy-AMC-and-OLTL-from-ABC-nothing-new-but-top-secret

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Hmm...

DAYSisHOT
Member Avatar

I would be shocked and happy if NBC picked them up.

Kenny
Member Avatar

I honestly don't believe this stuff about NBC wanting to pick up the soaps. I think these reports are coming from hopeful fans just trying to keep their shows alive.

However, if the reports are true and NBC does pick up AMC and OLTL as sister soaps to Days, I'll be over the moon happy. I'm not a regular viewer of either of those shows, but it's nice to think that someone actually wants to invest in soaps. How ironic though that it might be NBC, the network that first got the ball rolling on all this soap cancellation drama more than 10 years ago?

six
Member Avatar

♥ Tammy ♥
Apr 29 2011, 08:15 PM
Saw this on the Soapcentral board!

Quote:

Sony Deal to buy AMC and OLTL from ABC nothing new but top secret

Sony almost got outed today when stories surfaced about their negotiations with AMC and OLTL actors. They saved it by suggesting that they were going to put them on DAYS and Y&R. Yesterday NBC/Universal exec was quoted with saying how the soaps cancelled by ABC still commanded good ratings and that several other competitors were hoping to pick up some of them-all NBC Universal network and cable networks. More to come! Sony is buying AMC and OLTL from ABC for around 200 million. Based on ABC's most recent net profit from the shows, it will only take two years to recoup this investment by Sony. NBC is now owned by Comcast who profits greatly as a leader in online viewing of television. January 2011 numbers showed Days of our Lives as #8 in total online streams over ALL tv shows available online. That is including primetime and whatever else. Comcast is willing to air the soaps in the afternoon on NBC after Days in order to also show them online on Comcast. Sony, knowing that AMC and OLTL have never been marketed in foreign countries, knows the money they will make from selling them abroad. It is a win-win deal for everybody involved. NBC just gave Days a multi year renewal on their 45th anniversary in NOV. 2010. They are pleased with the profitability Days has been providing, along with the viewer loyalty that a 45 year scripted drama commands. They are in rebuilding mode after Jeff Zucker and need
revenue and loyal viewership to jump start the network into regaining it's glory. As both the cancelled soaps made money and were not cancelled because they didn't, NBC is anxious to take them on. Esp. when Sony will pay the upfront costs and all NBC will have to do is pay a licensing fee.

http://boards.soapcentral.com/showthread.php?700233-Sony-Deal-to-buy-AMC-and-OLTL-from-ABC-nothing-new-but-top-secret

I happened to be looking at RavenBeauty's rumors today, and noticed a link by someone who said this "Thom" has been changing the story as he's gone along. http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af163/DKosko/Soap%20Central%20Posts/

This is supposed to be a link to the posts. I didn't look through it, since I'd never heard of this guy, and his rumors before today, but since his post is quoted here, I thought you all might be interested.

Anyway, assuming this was true for a second, at first I was wondering why Sony wouldn't have said something from the beginning, instead of allowing all the drama to keep piling up, but that nice post cancellation bump that OLTL got shows that it would be a brilliant PR move - tons of free mainstream publicity, and getting to act like you're the caring company who listened to the fans,and saved the shows, and people's jobs.

Tammy
Member Avatar

six
Apr 29 2011, 09:03 PM
Anyway, assuming this was true for a second, at first I was wondering why Sony wouldn't have said something from the beginning, instead of allowing all the drama to keep piling up, but that nice post cancellation bump that OLTL got shows that it would be a brilliant PR move - tons of free mainstream publicity, and getting to act like you're the caring company who listened to the fans,and saved the shows, and people's jobs.
Agrred!

I highly doubt this is true. However, if it were... NBC would like the most awesome people ever to OLTL and AMC fans lol. Just like Hoover, NBC will look like they care about the fans and what they want... instead of the fans actually seeing it for what it most likely would be, a smart PR move!

Eric83
Member Avatar

That poster at SOC sounds believable. I hope this works out.
Edited by Eric83, Apr 29 2011, 09:33 PM.

six
Member Avatar

This: "These Sony casting coups r gonna piss fans of specifically the Sony soaps off so bad..." From Jamey Giddens on twitter squashes the rumor imo. No sense dismantling the shows, and moving the actors to other soaps if you're planning to keep the shows on the air.
Edited by six, Apr 29 2011, 09:39 PM.

Mason
Member Avatar

Still not buying it. I'll believe it when I see an official press release.

blueskies
Member Avatar

^Nice if true, but alas seems like someone's starting rumors....

Manny
Member Avatar

I just refuse to believe it. I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

(Just to be clear, I don't watch them, but I don't want them to be canceled. I might return one day to watching US soaps :D)
Edited by Manny, Apr 30 2011, 04:28 AM.

Eric83
Member Avatar

Manny
Apr 30 2011, 04:27 AM
I just refuse to believe it. I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

(Just to be clear, I don't watch them, but I don't want them to be canceled. I might return one day to watching US soaps :D )
They'll probably be all gone. LOL

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I just heard that the full page HOLLYWOOD REPORTER ad will be in the 5/11 issue, which is the issue that will go out to the voting members for the Emmys.

http://www.disneysaveoursoaps.com/Hollywood_Reporter_Ad.pdf

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Apparently ABC has now forbidden stars from both OLTL & AMC from giving interviews unless it is cleared with ABC's PR department.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Matt
May 4 2011, 01:06 PM
Apparently ABC has now forbidden stars from both OLTL & AMC from giving interviews unless it is cleared with ABC's PR department.
Why would they even listen at this point? Whats the worst that could happen? They are fired...big deal they pretty much already are, save for a few months of lost income.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Matt
May 4 2011, 01:06 PM
Ooooo what are they going to do to them if they talk. How stupid lol.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply