Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC: Fall 2011 Pick-Ups and Renews; Parenthood Renewed!
Topic Started: May 12 2011, 08:35 PM (284 Views)
Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

NBC Picks Up 'Smash,' 'Prime Suspect,' More
The Hollywood Reporter will update you with the latest additions; refresh for the latest.

WHAT'S IN:
The Playboy Club
The drama revolves around working-class bunnies (Amber Heard, Jenna Dewan) and the men who love them (Eddie Cibrian) in the 1960s, where crooners, mob bosses, politicians and Chicago's elite play. The drama, a 20th TV and Imagine production, counts Chad Hodge (Runaway) and Brian Grazer (Lie to Me, Friday Night Lights) among its executive producers. The pilot was directed by Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones). Working in its favor: name recognition - and a vast empire of products, print and reality series to remind viewers about the show.

Awake (formerly REM)
Lone Star creator Kyle Killen delivers another dual life drama, this time a procedural hybrid starring Jason Isaacs (Brotherhood) as a police detective who can't let go of any aspect of his fractured family after a car crash. Cherry Jones and Wilmer Valderrama co-star in the drama from 20th TV. Howard Gordon (24) executive produces with the pilot directed by David Slade (The Twilight Saga: Eclipse). The project, from 20th TV, is said to be both smart and compelling, though fears about its complexity have been raised.

Grimm
The dark cop drama with fantasy elements is set in a world in which Brothers Grimm fairy tales exist. David Greenwalt (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) & Jim Kouf (Ghost Whisperer) are writers and executive producers on the series, from UMS and Hazy Mills Productions. Marc Buckland (My Name is Earl) directed the pilot. It was one of two fantastical police dramas (17th Precinct was the other) the network was considering this development season.

On Wednesday, NBC picked up the following to series:

Whitney
The multicamera comedy, from Universal Media Studios, is based on the stand-up comedy of Whitney Cummings and revolves around the ups and downs of a young couple in a committed relationship. Cummings penned the pilot and will executive produce with Betsy Thomas (My Boys), Scott Stuber (Your Highness), Quan Phung and Barry Katz (Good Luck Chuck). Andy Ackerman (Perfect Couples) directed the pilot. The series garned strong buzz in recent weeks, with network interest in femme-skewing comedies.

Up All Night (formerly Alpha Mom)
Another single-cam comedy that takes an irreverent look at parenthood through the point of view of an acerbic working mother (Christina Applegate) who never thought she'd be a mom, along with her stay-at-home husband (Will Arnett) and opinionated parents. Maya Rudolph co-stars in the UMS project. Spivey wrote the pilot and will executive produce along with Lorne Michaels (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock). The combo of talent on and off camera was a major selling point.

Smash
The musical drama, based on an idea by Steven Spielberg, revolves around a cross-section of characters (Debra Messing, Katharine McPhee) who work to put on a Broadway musical about Marilyn Monroe. Theresa Rebeck penned the pilot with Spielberg, Justin Flavey, Darryl Frank, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron on board as executive producers. Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman will contribute original songs. Smash, which many have dubbed Glee for adults, hails from UMS and DreamWorks TV. The project was said to be a sure thing all along. Working in its favor: Spielberg's engagement, a high-profile cast and the early involvement of NBC boss Bob Greenblatt, who developed the show while still at Showtime.

Prime Suspect
The adaptation of the British miniseries stars Maria Bello as a female detective who has to make her bones in a tough New York precinct dominated by men. The reboot counts Alex Cunningham, Peter Berg (Friday Night Lights), Sarah Aubrey and Julie Medel Johnson as executive producers. Greenblatt was a big fan of both the long-gestating reboot concept and Bello, sources tell THR.

WHAT'S RETURNING:

Parenthood
The drama from UMS and Jason Katims (Friday Night Lights), recently wrapped its second season in the Tuesday at 10 p.m. slot, where it performed modestly against strong competition from CBS' The Good Wife with 6.7 million viewers, on average, tuning in. The show has garnered critical praise, through the size -- and thus cost -- of its ensemble cast, which includes Peter Krause and Lauren Graham, has been a concern internally, sources tell THR. The renewal was expected, as is a one for David E. Kelley's Harry's Law.
NBC is scheduled to unveil its complete slate to Madison Avenue buyers on Monday in New York.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BC2.0
Member Avatar
Jester

Harry's Law has also been officially renewed

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Even though it would probably be a hot mess I am kinda bumped Wonder Woman is very unlikely to be picked up.

Mason

WOO HOO!!!!

I truly wasn't expecting Parenthood to be renewed, so I'm thrilled about this. Now I hope NBC considers moving it to another timeslot.

I'm also happy about Harry's Law, as well, but I figured it would get a second season.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Grimm looks interesting. Though I'm wary of watching anything like that on NBC- just don't trust them to stick with a show.

KMan101
Member Avatar

NBC is making some interesting choices in their pickups. I don't see anything different than what they've done the last five years. I wish them luck. Glad they picked up Playboy Club, renewed Parenthood, Chuck and Harry's Law. Not sure on Grimm, Person of Interest and Awake. Especially the last two. I don't see them doing well in the long run.

KMan101
Member Avatar

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/nbc-picks-up-chelsea-handler-pilot-free-agents/

UPDATE: I hear NBC just picked up two more comedy pilots: romantic comedy pilot, Bent, starring Amanda Peet, possibly for midseason, and the untitled Parham/St. Clair project . That makes a total of 6 new comedy series and 5 dramas for the peacock network.

PREVIOUS: NBC just picked up 2 more comedy pilots to series: the Chelsea Handler project Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea and the British adaptation Free Agents starring Hank Azaria. Meanwhile, more pilots got word that they are not going forward: dramas Reconstruction and 17th Precinct and comedies Lovelives, Brave New World, My Life as an Experiment and untitled Kari Lizer. They join Wonder Woman, Metro and A Mann's World.
Edited by KMan101, May 13 2011, 12:02 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply