Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dena Higley FIRED!; New Headwriters: Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas
Topic Started: May 19 2011, 11:35 AM (54,769 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

Marlene Clark Poutler began her career at "General Hospital" from 1987-1991, where she worked her way up from an assistant to the producers, then to script continuity coordinator, and finally as a script writer.
Ahh... you see that? CONTINUITY!
Quote:

With August episodes already taped, their material most likely will not air until October or November, 2011.
How depressing.

I wonder if M&D turned in a Bible for the show or it Corday hired them on good faith?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

Kenny
May 19 2011, 02:49 PM
I wonder if M&D turned in a Bible for the show or it Corday hired them on good faith?
It would be sweet ironic justice if they did submit a bible, as that's how Higley stole the HW job from Brash and Cwikly in 2003.

lysie
Member Avatar

Did Whitesell's name ever come out of the credits?

james0479
Member Avatar

Jason47....thanks for the release!!
Man....I'm dying for some details of the behind the scenes mess that went down yesterday!!!

lene
Member Avatar

I hope they know the word... Continue. And we actually get to SEE the drama, instead of only the aftermath.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
May 19 2011, 02:35 PM
DrewHamilton
May 19 2011, 02:33 PM
August never seemed so far away...
That's the truth, LoL. I just have to remind myself that August is a lot sooner than the end of time (which is how long I thought we would have to wait to see Higley fired).
Very true. I thought for sure with the Emmy nomination we would be stuck with the hack until the very end. But of course KC has to rain on my parade of Dena Higley getting the boot and hire people from Passions. ^o)
Quote Post Goto Top

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar
I am READY!!

Kenny
Quote:

Marlene Clark Poutler began her career at "General Hospital" from 1987-1991, where she worked her way up from an assistant to the producers, then to script continuity coordinator, and finally as a script writer.
My word of the day :cart:

lene
Member Avatar

Kenny
Quote:

Quote:

With August episodes already taped, their material most likely will not air until October or November, 2011.
How depressing.

:hail:

Keith
Member Avatar

I don't get what writing scripts or being on the writing team for Passions even means as far as whether or not this pair will make good headwriters. It's like everyone is afraid of the Boogeyman here. From an intellectual perspective, I think this is the best move the show has made in years. I was through the roof and over the moon when I first read the news, and nothing in 30+ pages has made me come back down. Oh, God, they wrote under JER! Oh God they wrote for Passions! Oh God, who the fuck CARES? Higley is GONE! THAT is no small matter. The show has never EVER been worse than its been under Higley (BOTH times).

And as far as Tomlin's concerned, I don't think he has nearly as much power as anyone thinks. He's not some big meanie dictator. I mean, what is even the basis of how powerful he is or isn't? Fear and a handful of favorites that have been shoved down our throats? I guess I accepted a long time ago that whoever was being featured was going to be featured. But at least now the writing for them has a chance of being decent and enjoyable. I, for one, don't think Tomlin ever stepped in a head wrote anything, because its all been based on heresay and, as far as I can tell, imagined politics. I do think Whiteshell had a lot to do with "stealing" power from Dena at some point during their dual run. After Ed Scott, I highly doubt Corday (as much interference as he's apparently known to play) would have hired Tomlin if he thought he wouldn't let his writer write.

Like others, I have no fear going into this. It can't get worse. There is no worse. Higley under every circumstance on every show she's ever written for has been a living curse. Reilly's second run was better than anything she gave us and that was pretty damn shitty. Tomlin picking up the writing pen would have been an improvement, given his history of writing. Sheri's endorsement alone tells me that not only are we getting an improvement, but we're getting good ones. There's very little I have faith in when it comes to this show, but this is one of them. The darkness is over!

I will be knocking back the wine tonight. Let's celebrate, everybody. Our show has been freed from the banshee's death grip!

P.S. Whoever posted the "stunned" clip....pure brilliance.

blueskies
Member Avatar

I'm totally psyched abt this :) Now I'm actually looking forward to the Will is gay storyline! I'm hoping it didn't get too far under Dena's pen....lord only knows how she probably made it terrible. These two at least were on Passions during the Rae/Simone coupling, which I actually thought was well written (until Rae was killed by Vincent of course).

six
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
May 19 2011, 02:47 PM
I know Days is on a budget crunch, but is it too much to ask that they toss the stuff they already taped and get started on new stuff? I don't want Hackley's stench lingering in that place, someone might inhale too much of it and who knows what will happen.
At the very least, I hope they don't continue following her outlines one line "stories" to their conclusion, and start fresh instead. No reason to wrap up her stories. We weren't watching them anyway.
Edited by six, May 19 2011, 02:56 PM.

SaveDaysNow

I am laughing because the "Weekly Discussion" thread has only 11 pages. . And this thread, which just posted a few hours ago, is already up to 33+ pages!! It just PROVES that people still do care about this show, but they aren't bothering to watch. It's gotten that bad.

Hopefully by November, when the new writing team is in place, they will KILL Taylor or write her off completely. . .That jives with Tamara's typical short-lived stints, so timing is perfect to clean house! :)

SlyestFox
Member Avatar

Jason47
May 19 2011, 02:38 PM
JASON47's PRESS RELEASE:

SoapOperaNetwork.com has announced that "Days of Our Lives" head writer Dena Higley has been relieved of her duties, effective immediately. Replacing Higley as co-head writers are the duo of Marlene Clark Poulter and Darrell Ray Thomas Jr., both former "Days" writers. They become the 28th and 29th head writers in "Days" history. With August episodes already taped, their material most likely will not air until October or November, 2011.
Marlene Clark Poutler began her career at "General Hospital" from 1987-1991, where she worked her way up from an assistant to the producers, then to script continuity coordinator, and finally as a script writer. From 1991-1993, Clark Poulter was a dialogue writer for "Days", and later worked as an breakdown writer from 1993-1999. From 1999-2008, she was a breakdown writer for the entire run of "Passions." In 2009, she co-created the "Swiss Family Robinson" pilot episode for ABC Family. She has been nominated for 7 Daytime Emmy Awards. Marlene L. Clark Poulter McPherson, 48, was born on August 20, 1962 in Napa County, California.
Darrell Ray Thomas Jr., 46, began his career as a breakdown writer for "Days of Our Lives" from 1998-1999. He then joined Marlene Clark Poulter as one of "Passions" breakdown writers for the series' entire run from 1999-2008. He has been nominated for 3 Daytime Emmy Awards. He was born on September 26, 1964.

http://www.jason47.com
Whoa, August episodes are already taped? I had no idea they were that far ahead! I figured they were in like early July or something.
Edited by SlyestFox, May 19 2011, 02:58 PM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Quote:

I don't get what writing scripts or being on the writing team for Passions even means as far as whether or not this pair will make good headwriters. It's like everyone is afraid of the Boogeyman here. From an intellectual perspective, I think this is the best move the show has made in years. I was through the roof and over the moon when I first read the news, and nothing in 30+ pages has made me come back down. Oh, God, they wrote under JER! Oh God they wrote for Passions! Oh God, who the fuck CARES? Higley is GONE! THAT is no small matter. The show has never EVER been worse than its been under Higley (BOTH times).

Like others, I have no fear going into this. It can't get worse. There is no worse. Higley under every circumstance on every show she's ever written for has been a living curse. Reilly's second run was better than anything she gave us and that was pretty damn shitty. Tomlin picking up the writing pen would have been an improvement, given his history of writing. Sheri's endorsement alone tells me that not only are we getting an improvement, but we're getting good ones. There's very little I have faith in when it comes to this show, but this is one of them. The darkness is over!
Preach it!
Quote:

And as far as Tomlin's concerned, I don't think he has nearly as much power as anyone thinks. He's not some big meanie dictator. I mean, what is even the basis of how powerful he is or isn't?
I think most people don't like him because he's the one who brought in GG and sealed Bryan's fate.

jules

Great news for all you who still watch...she was definitely the worst writer of all time for Days. For me it's one down and one to go to get me back to the show. Higley gone was the first and Deidre/Drake back is the second. Unfortunately, I don't see that ever happening. I really am happy she's gone though!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

SlyestFox
May 19 2011, 02:57 PM
Whoa, August episodes are already taped? I had no idea they were that far ahead! I figured they were in like early July or something.
It completely sucks. I want to get to the new material already! Even if it ends up being completely lousy, at least it will be different.

Ellie

Keith
May 19 2011, 02:54 PM
And as far as Tomlin's concerned, I don't think he has nearly as much power as anyone thinks. He's not some big meanie dictator. I mean, what is even the basis of how powerful he is or isn't? Fear and a handful of favorites that have been shoved down our throats?
My main issue with Tomlin is that the budget of the show seems to be his only concern. I've seen no evidence that he cares about the show creatively at all. So, if these hires were his decision, it might not be from a creative standpoint.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Keith
May 19 2011, 02:54 PM

And as far as Tomlin's concerned, I don't think he has nearly as much power as anyone thinks. He's not some big meanie dictator. I mean, what is even the basis of how powerful he is or isn't? Fear and a handful of favorites that have been shoved down our throats? I guess I accepted a long time ago that whoever was being featured was going to be featured. But at least now the writing for them has a chance of being decent and enjoyable. I, for one, don't think Tomlin ever stepped in a head wrote anything, because its all been based on heresay and, as far as I can tell, imagined politics. I do think Whiteshell had a lot to do with "stealing" power from Dena at some point during their dual run. After Ed Scott, I highly doubt Corday (as much interference as he's apparently known to play) would have hired Tomlin if he thought he wouldn't let his writer write.

I will be knocking back the wine tonight. Let's celebrate, everybody. Our show has been freed from the banshee's death grip!

P.S. Whoever posted the "stunned" clip....pure brilliance.
I am happy, don't get me wrong, but an endorsement by Sheri of these writers reminds me when she congratulated Dena and Gary Tomlin for their writing and the fact that Days got renewed around the 45th anniversary thingy....remember Corday would refer to them as the 'best writing/producing' team we've ever had and Sheri was in attendance at that panel.....
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

Oh, I get the Tomlin/Dattilo thing. That pisses me off, too. The one pairing of Sami's that didn't make me wanna scream when it was written right. But Tomlin hardly started Dattilo/Lucas' marginalization - he just finished it. Hopefully, BD can come back some time in the near future, though.

Mason

Kenny
May 19 2011, 02:59 PM
I think most people don't like him because he's the one who brought in GG and sealed Bryan's fate.
That's not the reason for me -- I actually could care less that Bryan Dattilo got let go. I just haven't enjoyed the direction of the show, and if he's had any influence over that, my opinion of him is not a high one.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply