Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
TV Guide: Louise Sorel Fired! Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn Return!
Topic Started: Jun 2 2011, 03:07 PM (27,387 Views)
jam6242
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Jun 4 2011, 11:39 AM
jam6242
Jun 4 2011, 11:01 AM
lysie
Jun 4 2011, 10:44 AM
jam6242
Jun 4 2011, 10:33 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
There was a, like, a one scene triangle at the beginning of the story when I think they might have been chem testing. They both asked her out at the same time. But even in those scenes Roman/Marlena is the clear direction. I liked that there was still a
Don/Marlena relationship even after Roman/Marlena took off. I like that Roman wasn't really threatened by Don or Eugene. Co-ed friendships don't happen like that anymore.
I liked those friendships too and miss them. Don remained a close friend of Julie's too after she left him at the altar for Doug, lol.
It was a longtime ago, and I was very, very young, but I think after thew Salem Strangler, Marlena could have gone either direction for a very short time. I consider it to be a triangle when a third party shows up, and pushed the character in the middle of the triangle in a new direction. Marlena really loved Don. It was a bit complicated, even if it didn't last very long.

Talking to my family (the main ones who really remember well), Marlena going with Roman rocked the boat for a while. Some people at the time were not at all thrilled with the Brady invasion. The writers taking Marlena, away frrom Don, and giving her a romantic interest with an entire new family that had magically lived by the Hortons for years, but were never seen, changed the face of the show forever.

No, the triangle was full of angst and bitterness. It wasn't like the later Marlena/Roman/John trriangle, but for a short time, I think it was a three legged story none-the-less. More than that, it was a watershed story. A big moment in the history of this show. The show we have today, is there because they went in this direction.
I was watching back then but I don't remember there being any controversy regarding the Bradys arrival. Of course, there weren't any internet message boards to gauge the reaction! I wonder if the show would have lasted as long as it has if there had been. I do have an old soap magazine where someone wrote a letter calling Julie a "prostitute" for cynically marrying Bob Anderson for the material things he could give her after she thought she would never get Doug back, lol.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jwsel
Member Avatar

jam6242
Jun 4 2011, 12:38 PM
Daysfanatic79
jam6242
lysie
Jun 4 2011, 10:44 AM

I liked those friendships too and miss them. Don remained a close friend of Julie's too after she left him at the altar for Doug, lol.
It was a longtime ago, and I was very, very young, but I think after thew Salem Strangler, Marlena could have gone either direction for a very short time. I consider it to be a triangle when a third party shows up, and pushed the character in the middle of the triangle in a new direction. Marlena really loved Don. It was a bit complicated, even if it didn't last very long.

Talking to my family (the main ones who really remember well), Marlena going with Roman rocked the boat for a while. Some people at the time were not at all thrilled with the Brady invasion. The writers taking Marlena, away frrom Don, and giving her a romantic interest with an entire new family that had magically lived by the Hortons for years, but were never seen, changed the face of the show forever.

No, the triangle was full of angst and bitterness. It wasn't like the later Marlena/Roman/John trriangle, but for a short time, I think it was a three legged story none-the-less. More than that, it was a watershed story. A big moment in the history of this show. The show we have today, is there because they went in this direction.
I was watching back then but I don't remember there being any controversy regarding the Bradys arrival. Of course, there weren't any internet message boards to gauge the reaction! I wonder if the show would have lasted as long as it has if there had been. I do have an old soap magazine where someone wrote a letter calling Julie a "prostitute" for cynically marrying Bob Anderson for the material things he could give her after she thought she would never get Doug back, lol.
I didn't watch until 1984, but I remember my great-grandmother (who watched daily from the time the show started) grumbling at times about the "Brady kids" taking over the show. However, I think the Bradys were introduced a bit more slowly than the Hernandezes, there was a much bigger Horton presence during the 1980s, and, imo, the Bradys fit much better into the fabric of Salem.

If you look at the history, Roman came first in 1981. Kayla appeared for a little while during 1982-83, but from I understand, was never really a front-burner character. She was involved briefly with David and then Chris, before leaving. Bo arrived in 1983 and, I think, may have briefly overlapped with Kayla. Kim then arrived in July 1984 and there were three Brady siblings until Roman "died" in November. IIRC, Shane and Caroline appeared briefly in 1983-84, but did not really register a presence until around Roman's death.

I think the Bradys integrated much better, because there was this supposedly long history with the Hortons as neighbors, Roman and Marlena interacted regularly with Alice, and Kayla was involved with David. And, of course, Bo and Hope were the biggest Brady/Horton connection and interacted so regularly with other Hortons, that Bo seemed to be one of the family.

Moreover, during the 80s, there were many Hortons on screen. Alice and Tom were a continuous presence, as were Mickey and Maggie. Doug and Julie were still on during the Roman/Marlena and Kayla runs (through 1984). Doug returned for a time in 1986-87. Sandy and Marie were around through the mid-80s. Then you had younger Hortons who had front-burner storylines during the time period -- Melissa, Mike, and Jennifer.

That created a lot of cohesion even as the Bradys and Johnsons came onto the scene. The Hernandezes, imo, just have never had that with either of the major families. Yes, Rafe is involved with Sami, so there is a Brady connection, and now you have Gaby with Will, but there isn't the same kind of regular interaction that has them fitting into the fabric of Salem. But then that is a problem with most of the characters currently on the front burner. Nothing illustrated that more to me than the episodes surrounding Alice's funeral. It was great to have all the vets there, but how many of the show's contract cast -- especially the younger characters -- were there? IIRC, Stephanie attended with Nathan. Will was there, and I think Sami went briefly, but I don't think Chloe, Nicole, Philip, Brady, Rafe, Melanie, Arianna, Chad, and EJ were there. I didn't go back and check though, so I apologize if I'm wrong on one or two of them, but that's a pretty substantial number of characters that did not attend. Had Alice died in the 1980s, I suspect 90% of the major cast members would have been there.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DJsMommy
Member Avatar

Jarlena4Eva
Jun 2 2011, 08:10 PM
John, Marlena and Stefano...classic. :)

LOL that was great! TFP

What ever happened to that Haddie lady that was supposed to be Marlena's double? She was that waitress that worked with Faye? I can't for the life of me remember what happened to her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jun 4 2011, 12:33 PM
Jarlena4Eva
Jun 3 2011, 01:27 PM
Drew
Jun 3 2011, 01:21 PM
It would be pretty funny if it wasn't true.
I would probably drink away my sorrows and cry uncontrollably if that happened.
LoL, I think Corday pretty much has to bring Drake and Deidre back now whether he was planning to or not. Can you imagine how devastated fans would be if they found out it wasn't true after seeing it reported on sites like TVGuide.com, Entertainment Weekly, TV Line, and all the message boards?
And now you have the perfect model to follow, Kenny. You just need to convince some legit media outlet to report that ED is returning to Days. It will spread like wildfire and then KC will have to do it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

John brought Hattie back during the SSK storyline and tried to blame her for the killings. She also gave the line of the century when she told Hope to eat a cheeseburger. I don't think they ever mentioned her again after that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Drake and Deidre's return is the top story on TVLine.com.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I would love the next headline to read "Soap Shocker: Eileen Davidson Exits Y&R for Days!"
Offline Profile Goto Top

DJsMommy
Member Avatar

darraholic
Jun 5 2011, 02:41 AM
John brought Hattie back during the SSK storyline and tried to blame her for the killings. She also gave the line of the century when she told Hope to eat a cheeseburger. I don't think they ever mentioned her again after that.
:lol: at the cheeseburger line! Thanks for refreshing my memory.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

jwsel
Jun 4 2011, 01:54 PM
jam6242
Daysfanatic79
jam6242

I didn't watch until 1984, but I remember my great-grandmother (who watched daily from the time the show started) grumbling at times about the "Brady kids" taking over the show. However, I think the Bradys were introduced a bit more slowly than the Hernandezes, there was a much bigger Horton presence during the 1980s, and, imo, the Bradys fit much better into the fabric of Salem.

If you look at the history, Roman came first in 1981. Kayla appeared for a little while during 1982-83, but from I understand, was never really a front-burner character. She was involved briefly with David and then Chris, before leaving. Bo arrived in 1983 and, I think, may have briefly overlapped with Kayla. Kim then arrived in July 1984 and there were three Brady siblings until Roman "died" in November. IIRC, Shane and Caroline appeared briefly in 1983-84, but did not really register a presence until around Roman's death.

I think the Bradys integrated much better, because there was this supposedly long history with the Hortons as neighbors, Roman and Marlena interacted regularly with Alice, and Kayla was involved with David. And, of course, Bo and Hope were the biggest Brady/Horton connection and interacted so regularly with other Hortons, that Bo seemed to be one of the family.

Moreover, during the 80s, there were many Hortons on screen. Alice and Tom were a continuous presence, as were Mickey and Maggie. Doug and Julie were still on during the Roman/Marlena and Kayla runs (through 1984). Doug returned for a time in 1986-87. Sandy and Marie were around through the mid-80s. Then you had younger Hortons who had front-burner storylines during the time period -- Melissa, Mike, and Jennifer.

That created a lot of cohesion even as the Bradys and Johnsons came onto the scene. The Hernandezes, imo, just have never had that with either of the major families. Yes, Rafe is involved with Sami, so there is a Brady connection, and now you have Gaby with Will, but there isn't the same kind of regular interaction that has them fitting into the fabric of Salem. But then that is a problem with most of the characters currently on the front burner. Nothing illustrated that more to me than the episodes surrounding Alice's funeral. It was great to have all the vets there, but how many of the show's contract cast -- especially the younger characters -- were there? IIRC, Stephanie attended with Nathan. Will was there, and I think Sami went briefly, but I don't think Chloe, Nicole, Philip, Brady, Rafe, Melanie, Arianna, Chad, and EJ were there. I didn't go back and check though, so I apologize if I'm wrong on one or two of them, but that's a pretty substantial number of characters that did not attend. Had Alice died in the 1980s, I suspect 90% of the major cast members would have been there.

offscreen only

she was too busy that day making out with rafe and ej for being for ali and will and for horror to dare be in same place with lucas

Edited by Partnersincrime, Jun 5 2011, 04:08 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ges
Member Avatar

There would be no reason to bring back Lucas since he and E.J. aren't fighting over Sammi anymore. They both decided that she wasn't worth it over a ham sandwich if I recall. If they bring back Lucas, they would have to bring back something for him to do besides be Kate's little bitch. Philip on the other hand is needed, even if it is a recast. Philip needs to come back as a bad-ass who fights Brady for control of Titan. Victor and Kate need Philip. While they are at it, I don't need to see Adrienne washing glasses in a bar butting into everybody's business. What is her goddamned purpose on this show. Besides, I can't look at her without thinking of Mimi's stupid-ass mother. Didn't she work in a bar, too? This is confusing. dead wood= Dario, Gabbi, Quinn, Adrienne, Vivian & Carly. I believe that is six. Bring back John, Marlena, Philip, Max, Nathan, and E.J. and Stephano's balls. bonus bring backs: Brandon, Sean, Belle, Kayla, Patch & E.J.'s brother (can't think of his name right now. ) T.P. Don't get rid of Stephano, just make him a real bad-ass again. The DiMeras should war against Victor and Titan. We need an evil Mayor. Buh bye Abe. You have always been useless at your job, and unless Lexie is cheating on you. How about her DiMera claws come out. Anyway, I realize my ideas are not popular. Let's hope the writers save us from Ken Corday. Cause he seems a little fickle to me. Only pops his head out of his mole hole once in a while to see what is going on. Often, after it is too late.

I had to laugh that Ken Corday thinks we are upset that Roman had so few scenes. What is it with him and Roman?
Edited by ges, Jun 5 2011, 09:28 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

recast does not always good when philp was cast by KB almost nobody care about him

shelle left happy and both shawn in other shows right now

patch in antoer show bring kayla full time mean ruin them as couple
max left happy with chelesa
expect philp they all left happy why bring them back they will be ruin

bring couple that left happy or one coupe look at brady and chloe they lefy happy and now brady hang with kids and chloe becoming hooker
Nathan left with saying goodbye and got even closere with mel
while lucas left the show without even exit probaly not happy and still have kids on show

lucas left without his kids its OCC behavior to him after years fight to be with his son
the rest are not being ruin for not being in salem while lucas does

there lot to write lucas even if you may not see it
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Drake's Back!!

ges
Jun 5 2011, 09:27 AM
I had to laugh that Ken Corday thinks we are upset that Roman had so few scenes. What is it with him and Roman?
I do not think Josh Taylor is Roman...that role will always be Wayne Northrop, but on the show Josh is Roman. So, in retrospect, it is kind of lame that he hasn't been around when all this crap has been going down with Sami and Rafe. He is her dad so he needs to be around. When Marlena and John come back you can bet your ass that Marlena will be around asking Sami, "What the fuck is up? How could you not know that Stefano would do something like that to your husband? Look what he did to mine...twice!"
Offline Profile Goto Top

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

jwsel
Jun 4 2011, 01:54 PM
jam6242
Daysfanatic79
jam6242

My family has watched from the beginning. The Brady's did come on slower than the Hernandez, and had a lot more success, so don't get me wrong. I remember back to around 82-83. I remember Megan Hathaway, Larry Welch, etc...so my impression of the switch comes from people I know very well that watched Days during this time. My mom STILL wants Julie to come back and be front and center. I agree Julie should be the matriarch, and she deserves her place on the show due to the fact that she helped Days to the very top of the heap in the 70's, but her staying power with people in my family amazes me.

Fact is: When Bo& Hope were introduced, the lovable cad Doug was reduced to having a heart attack when seeing Bo with Hope. The majority of the cast that made Days a super-soap in the 70's were worked off the canvas and others came in their place. This happened in the 79-80 period. ONLY Gloria Loring (Liz Chandler) stayed in that group, and fans rejected the new characters. Then in the 82 time frame, Roman came on, followed by his siblings in the years following.

All of the sudden, fans were treated to revisionist history, in which the Hortons and Brady's were next door neighbors, and Bo & Hope were childhood friends. This was never even alluded to on the show. Longtime fans (Family and friends I have that have watched Days since before I was a speck in my Dad's eye) have told me that it irritated them at first. Some people (my aunt, my uncle, etc..) hated the change and stopped watching for years. They came back once it was obvious the show benefitted from it.

NOW: Those who will use this as proof that change must happen, here's the deal as I see it.

1) The Brady family was slower to come on than recent attempts to change. Despite the fact that revisionist history was used, the writers at the time (Pat Falken-Smith / Sheri Andreson) tied the Brady family to the Hortons in a way that honored the shows foundational family.

2) The writing was much better, so the family seemed character driven. It didn't turn into "The Brady Show" overnight. Eventually they did take over the canvas, but not before the writers decided to plot it out carefully and weave a story, not just a change. The story and characters drove the changes, not the agenda.

3) Alice had scenes with Caroline, Bo and scenes with Marlena, Don had Scenes with Eugene, Stefano had scenes with Julie, Kayla had scenes with Roman and Chris K. The show didn't build the new family in a compartment. They didn't section off the canvas into old days vs. new days. The way the show mingled characters made the change work better.

4) The show did new storylines with the characters instead of trying old storylines from the past. Can you imagine what the outcry would have been like if the show did a repeat of the Bill/Mickey/Laura triangle with the Brady's right off the bat? Well thats the approach Dena took with Rafe/Rafe2/Sami. It was rehashed Roman/Roman2/Marlena, with a dash of the beginning of the Roman & Marlena romance of the early 80's. The way Dena did it just reminded us of the orginal story, and made us despise the new characters for not measuring up.

5) The show started changing before the Brady's came. Many of the characters people longed for were gone 2 years before Roman and the clan started to trickle in. Therefore, people didn't blame the Brady's for the change like we started to blame the Hernandez family. Rule #1 in changing the direction of a show is to make sure fans do not hate the characters you introduce.

Now that said, it's not like there was no backlash among the fans. I know people in my family, as staed above, who did not get on board right away. However, since it was done carefully, and since the show brought on talented actors coupled with strong writing, the changes took off. The same can be said of the Reed and Johnson families when introduced. Look at how Anderson and Reilly tied Kate to the canvas through Bill Horton's affair. It was classic soap storytelling.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to be clear on how I see it. Did people resent the Brady's at first?..Yes, to a degree. Did people generally accept them in time?....absolutely. Can the Hernandez family have the same success?.....Not now, I don't think so. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and thanks to Dena, the first impression sucked!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Marlene

Forgive my memory lapse. When did the show expand to one hour? That coincided with the introduction of new characters out of necessity. Was that when the Brady's started to appear?
Online Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

olddaysfan
Jun 5 2011, 11:00 AM
Forgive my memory lapse. When did the show expand to one hour? That coincided with the introduction of new characters out of necessity. Was that when the Brady's started to appear?
They expanded to one hour in the mid-70s (possibly 1975). The Bradys didn't arrive until 1981.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Drake's Back!!

Do you think we'll get some confirmation this week or will the studio still be dark??
Offline Profile Goto Top

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Jarlena4Eva
Jun 5 2011, 11:29 PM
Do you think we'll get some confirmation this week or will the studio still be dark??
The studio resumes tomorrow, which means we'll likely get a confirmation then. Not sure if they are just going to announce the DH's returns, or everybody leaving/returning at once. I imagine they'll go with that to get a ton of press.
Online Profile Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

I think we'll get some news tomorrow. The studio was dark all week so they had plenty of time to dot all their I's and cross all their T's before issuing any kind of press release. I can't imagine that they'll wait much later than tomorrow to announce anything, at least in regards to Deidre and Drake.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

If we hear anything, I'm betting it will be maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Big Days news never seems to hit on Mondays for some reason :laugh: .
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sariah
Member Avatar

Kenny
Jun 5 2011, 03:05 AM
I would love the next headline to read "Soap Shocker: Eileen Davidson Exits Y&R for Days!"
So far you've managed to get Higley fired and J&M back...if you get ED returning as Kristen, I'm putting in my request now for JKJ to come back as Philip (if you have time to swing it). ;)

Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic